We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
Lawn Mowers
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21436 posts
They cut grass, they take cut grass and fling it into a catcher, the operator then empties said catcher onto mulch heap

or so I thought.

The f*** is up with my mower? It cuts the grass and then fills the base with cut grass and none of it goes into the catcher. It's worse when the grass is wet for obvious reasons but it does this crap even when the grass is dry. I go along happily mowing, whistling a song, birds flying around me like I'm Snow f*****g White and look down to see grass not being picked up, take the catcher off... empty. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Do I need better blades? Are the little bendy uppy bits on the blades better on some blades than on others? It seems that all mowers would be more or less equal in construct but this mower is askin for a swim in the pond. The blades themselves are in good condition, sharp, but do some fling the grass more than others?

Also the catcher pisses me off. Take it off and all the grass just falls right out of it because it only fills up the front of the catcher, nothing in the back of it. This then leads up to the base being full of grass, and an empty catcher.

So, is it time for a new mower? Or are most / all mowers made the same and whatever I buy will just be exactly the same? This mower has been like this for as long as I can remember.
10:14pm 22/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:14pm 22/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10791 posts
I have this same problem but I think mostly because it's been so wet lately
10:18pm 22/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10481 posts
what sort of mower is it
brand/engine/age/how many blades (2/4)
what sort of cutting speed to you have the mower set to?
post pics

i almost bought a 207cc Victa Ultima with a Tecumseh motor the other day
207cc for a mower? overkill. Thats why i wanted it
but then i remembered i already have three mowers
10:53pm 22/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8458 posts
Could be the blades not throwing the grass into the catcher properly.

When I lived in North Lakes I bought a Rover (Briggs & Stratton engine) for the pubic strip of grass I had to move. Moved to Melbourne and the place we rented had a gardener thrown in. 2 years ago moved up to a 3/4 acre block.

I promised myself a ride on when the mower died or I lost 10kg. 4-5 hours every fortnight pushing that mower and the f*****g thing did not die. All I did was replace an air filter and it fires up first go, every time and keeps mowing it's tits out.

Laziness got the better of me and I bought a ride on last year, but when I need to do the small parts of the lawn, that Rover fires up first go every time and does it's thing. Couldn't recommend a better brand!
10:53pm 22/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10482 posts
yeah the rover/B&S combo has worked well for generations of those who are mower-inept

not rubbishing it, I have a 1988 Rover with a B&S - apart from a new silencer and air filter about 6 years ago, i just change the oil at the start of every summer and it runs like a champ. Always starts second pull.
10:58pm 22/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21437 posts
what sort of mower is it - a lawn mower, it has 4 wheels and an engine and its green. "yum cha" if you will.
brand/engine/age/how many blades (2/4) - briggs & straton "375" grass raping monster (3 blades)
what sort of cutting speed to you have the mower set to? - RRRRRAMMING SPEED. The throttle cable is broken so I stick to to either full throttle, or off. There is no in between.
post pics - sorry, my black mini is in the wash right now
11:05pm 22/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8459 posts
C***roaches and a Rover/B&S - only things to survive a nuclear bomb.
11:05pm 22/02/13 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
276 posts
Always starts second pull.

I nearly pissed myself reading that.

Sounds like time for a new mower. They aren't overly expensive these days.

I've a Flymo H40 because I don't have a lot of lawn and it's great exercise. 10 minutes for the back lawn, 10 minutes for the front lawn (provided I maintain it) and it's done and dusted. My only concern is the plastic roller which will most likely break but I could probably (possibly?) get a decent metal one machined and never have to worry about it again.
11:17pm 22/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21438 posts
I nearly pissed myself reading that.

If you liked that, read the instructions on how to start my oldass mower. Knobs, ticklers, stranglers and rope? o_o
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/pointyfork/mower/strangler_zps325133ba.jpg
Plastic mower my ass.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/pointyfork/mower/th_IMG_3400.jpg
All I need is a catcher. Yes it runs.

Anyway, here's the mower I'm talking about:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/pointyfork/mower/IMG_3436_zps11b47da1.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/pointyfork/mower/IMG_3445_zps9c36d9d1.jpg
11:22pm 22/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19534 posts
this typically happens when the kick on the end of the blade is damaged and is not throwing the cut grass into the waste chute. get new blades.
12:07am 23/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9914 posts
replace those blades Whoop

try not to get too attached to the end results of your efforts here.

as I understand it, we're supposed to think like Aussie Mexicans, and think like Amercians.. who have have sometimes on and sometimes off relationship with real Mexicans.

either way - go do what you want to do.

On a related subject - what kind of grass are you managing here?
12:26am 23/02/13 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
1034 posts
Also make sure the vents in the catcher are clear. They rely somewhat on airflow to help move the clippings into the catcher. If they are blocked (from wet grass perhaps) then there will be something of an air dam preventing material from entering.
01:09am 23/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21440 posts
yeah the vents are clear, there's no fine mesh on them.
On a related subject - what kind of grass are you managing here?

crap grass that I mow once every month. I wait till it gets a foot high then go at it. But really, the grass is rubbish. We tried putting seeds down, nothing grows. Either the birds eat them or the soil washes away with rain or the clay soil is so hard the new seeds are like whatever man fu. Also the cat digs it all up, rolls in it, s**** in it, generally destroys the lawn.

Do more blades = better cutting action? when the grass is thick, this one seems to miss a lot of it (hell even when it's not all that long). I always have to go back over parts because the mower has missed a spot slightly off to the side. This mower you have to overlap each run by about half the width of the mower, else you're left with a strip of unmown grass. Our old mower, you just run the wheel down the same track you ran down on the opposite direction without any overlap and it got all the grass.

I think I'll just get a better mower or something. The old mower was a victa, only reason it was retired was because the engine was so rooted it wouldn't run. Victa 2 stroke, awesome mower it was.
01:52am 23/02/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3816 posts
I mow once a week with the blades fairly high so I don't use a catcher. Just knock the tops off, keeps it green and thick and spongy for the kids to play on, takes less effort to push around and it doesn't go brown. There is no fence on one side at the front so there is my nice, green grass and then a line where next doors brown, s***** dirt patch begins.
07:17am 23/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35205 posts
my aldi mower has been a disappointment (its b&s) but its just not powerful to handle my grass.

i have to mow every two weeks, coz as soon as the grass gets any length on it, the mower cant handle it and instead of it taking me 45 minutes to mow, it takes 2 hours.

im hoping for xmas to get a nice new more powerful power.

hardware, what you got for sale?
07:19am 23/02/13 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6286 posts
always pay the bit extra and buy a honda mower
07:48am 23/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8460 posts
I don't know about push mower blades but with the ride on I can get different blade types to do mulching, cutting, etc. From memory the mulching blades throw the grass up (instead of out to the side) so it keeps getting chopped until it's fine enough to fall down between the blades.

Works great for dry grass, absolutely useless with wet grass.
08:46am 23/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35209 posts
well, i just finished mowing my whole yard then and it wasnt too bad.

theres life in the old aldi girl yet!
09:18am 23/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8793 posts
My Victa Mayfair, that I bought for $50 12 years ago, still runs like a dream and has plenty of power - but it is a 2 stroke, like all decent garden motors should be!

The mower would have to be over 30 years old and still starts first pull. In the time I've had it I've replaced the blades once and put in a new spark plug.
09:21am 23/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8794 posts
Finished at 8.20?

Your neighbors must love you.
09:23am 23/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35210 posts
started at 7 bro, no time for slacking in the salsberg
09:23am 23/02/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5732 posts
Funny to see this topic I was talking with mrs lizard about how s*** our mower is this morning
10:40am 23/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10483 posts
Anyway, here's the mower I'm talking about:

Whoop that is a terrible mower.

Thats the kind of mower you buy when you 'just want the cheapest' and 'if i get five years out of it i'll be happy'.

It is not a quality mower.

I've never understood why people don't buy decent mowers. Why buy something with a limited life from the outset? Are you going somewhere? Are lawns on their way out? Are you going to die soon?

I'm not saying go out and buy a $1200 Honda 21" Self-Propelled, but i certainly don't recommend buying the $199 yum-cha non-ballbearing wheeled <4hp straight-handlebar'd stinker from bunnings either.

You know how the old saying goes. Buy cheap, buy twice. Mower designs have basically stayed the same since the late 1960's.

If you've got a 607sqm or larger block, your starting point is a name-brand unit, with greater than 4.0hp, ball bearing wheels, upturned handlebars, decent sized catcher, 18+ in cut. If you want keyless start, mulch & catch or self-propelled, remember these things add expense, maintenance and weight and i deem them largely unecessary. 2-stroke if your land is on a significant slope, 4-stroke otherwise.
02:00pm 23/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9933 posts
you cant buy 2 strokes anymore.
They are all 4 stroke.

Hose the Mower down after you have mowed.
Dont mow wet grass ever.
Dont set the skirt too low.
03:44pm 23/02/13 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6287 posts
Bunnings still sell Victa 2 strokes Facey
04:23pm 23/02/13 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8157 posts
It's not a lawn mower till it's run over a cane toad.
04:26pm 23/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10484 posts
you cant buy 2 strokes anymore.
i believe you can, but only from victa dealers generally
they're getting hard to find, because all the asian brands are making relatively decent copies of the Honda OHV motor for cheap. Personally I'd have no trouble going out and paying $650 for a decently-specced Victa 160cc, despite the fact that on paper it's no better than a $325 yumcha
But in 13 years time when you're getting upset about your yumcha being a heap of s***, i'll be happy knowing my quality machine is still ticking over like a gold watch
04:30pm 23/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21442 posts
I've never understood why people don't buy decent mowers. Why buy something with a limited life from the outset? Are you going somewhere? Are lawns on their way out? Are you going to die soon?

My parents bought it, my dad died about 2 years ago, mum's probably not far off so... yes?

If you've got a 607sqm or larger block, your starting point is a name-brand unit, with greater than 4.0hp, ball bearing wheels, upturned handlebars, decent sized catcher, 18+ in cut. If you want keyless start, mulch & catch or self-propelled, remember these things add expense, maintenance and weight and i deem them largely unecessary. 2-stroke if your land is on a significant slope, 4-stroke otherwise.
I've got that Atco vintage self propelled thing, cuts great but no catcher so it just keeps on cutting grass it's already cut and by the end it's trying to cut so much grass that it just stalls. I found one on gumtree but it'd gone the next time I went to look :( It's a great mower. Self propelled, runs great. Pics of it earlier in the thread look all rusty but I've had the motor apart and it looks good inside.

It's a 1/4 acre block but most of it is taken up by cement, gardens and gravel. The grass is and always has been sparse and s*** looking, in summer we don't mow the grass, we mow the dirt.

So what "name brand" does everyone suggest? This time it's me buying it, not my parents. I got sick of the yum cha blower they had so I went out & bought a Stihl blower. B**** has enough power to levitate a mofuq'n RUG (while it's wet). I'd be tempted to supercharge my car with that s*** for giggles.
07:29pm 23/02/13 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9972 posts
I bought a Victa mower recently with the honda engine. Its been f*****g awesome.
08:15pm 23/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8795 posts
I mowed this arvo.

True to form my 30+ year old Victa 2 stroke fired into life on the first pull and cut the s*** out my grass.

2T for lyfe, yo.
08:46pm 23/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21444 posts
There's a honda shop up the road from work. So I'll just cruise on in and go gimme a mower? I don't particularly need anything fancy like self propelled, I can push a mower up a hill ok, don't need any abilities to mulch twigs & s*** (got a dedicated mulcher). $500 be about the norm?

Which comes back to my original question that might not have been so clear. Are all mowers equal in base design? Or do some have a better base than others that aids in throwing the grass out? Or is it simply the blades' shape that is responsible for shooting the grass up into the catcher? There's nothing wrong with this mower apart from it not throwing grass into the catcher. On full tilt it'll cut the foot long grass no problems without even slowing down.
09:14pm 23/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10485 posts
My parents bought it, my dad died about 2 years ago, mum's probably not far off so... yes?

eeeh, now i feel like a d***

2T for lyfe, yo.

yeah, there's just that bit of mongrel in that irregular, rough idle that makes it awesome.

$500 be about the norm?
Not for a Honda. You start at $800 for a Honda. You can get yum-cha chassis with genuine Honda OHV motors for about that much. Masters stock them.
09:21pm 23/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21445 posts
I'll check out the honda shop down the road from work one afternoon. See what goodies they have there.
12:46am 24/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10793 posts
check the prices on bunnings' website first
02:25am 24/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21446 posts
I've seen bunnings website already. There's a couple of victa 4 strokes, bunch of masports and some electric ones. I was considering a masport but I dunno. I'm gonna head down to mitre 10 and see what they've got (also need another bug zapper)
08:52am 24/02/13 Permalink
Crunch
Perth, Western Australia
1108 posts
I bought a new mower recently. The hand-me-down 30yo scott bonnar with the Kirby engine was giving me the s****, so I went and bought a WA made Alroh mower (Honda engine). Tossed up between this and the cheaper Masport - a mate of mine used to be the quality control engineer in China for Masport and he wouldn't buy one. I think that says it all.

Anyways, it's been a joy to use since I've had it. My only complaint would be I miss the split rear roller of the Scott Bonnar.
09:46pm 24/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19538 posts
spook get the honda 4 stroke self-propelled. it's what the pros use.
12:39am 25/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21452 posts
buy my mower spook. It's cheap, full of rust and broken. Just the way you like it.
02:19am 25/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35216 posts
tempting whoop!

i dont need self propelled, i just want a mower with some grunt.
05:59am 25/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8796 posts
stupid edit
08:15am 25/02/13 Permalink
Barbara2013
USA
2 posts
thats great that at last u r become happy and finished work with someone's help.u can try for a new one and i think this will give u the support what u need actually. thanks all :)
10:10pm 27/03/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1329 posts

try not to get too attached to the end results of your efforts here.

as I understand it, we're supposed to think like Aussie Mexicans, and think like Amercians.. who have have sometimes on and sometimes off relationship with real Mexicans.

either way - go do what you want to do.
Is it just me or does this not make sense at all?

I'm so confused.
11:05pm 27/03/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1438 posts
If it's been pissing rain or the grass is flourishing (as I recall it doing in QLD in general), maybe try mowing in the afternoon (dusk-ish) instead of the morning (to let the sun take up some of the moisture).

And if the grass is literally 8-10 inches long, you should at least attempt to mow twice as often. I used to leave the lawn on a rental I was living in until it was 'too-long' before I mowed it; it took what should have been a 20-30 minute activity and made it 120mins+
02:21am 28/03/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
10042 posts
Dont mow the grass too low.

02:33am 28/03/13 Permalink
Chakas
USA
3493 posts
8-10 inches

Inches? What are you, American?
05:46am 28/03/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1440 posts
Inches? What are you, American?

Does the troll need his grass cut or something?
01:32pm 28/03/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:32pm 28/03/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.