AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
NBN Switches on in Brisbane today
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3918 posts
The National Broadband Network will be switched on for the first time in Brisbane on Wednesday. About 500 homes in the northern Brisbane suburb of Aspley will be connected to the optic fire cable network, with about 1700 to follow in the coming weeks. Aspley falls on the border of Treasurer Wayne Swan's Brisbane seat of Lilley, which he holds by a 3.2 per cent margin. Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/it-pro/government-it/nbn-switched-on-in-brisbane-today-20130220-2eq87.html#ixzz2LQd68dSg

I think pave is getting some NBN goodness, so how is it pave?

Anyone else on NBN anywhere?
08:07pm 20/02/13 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
08:07pm 20/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17835 posts
haven't got around to ordering it yet, probably do it this weekend sticking with iinet

probably going to go on the 50/20 speed
08:25pm 20/02/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6272 posts
nice
08:50pm 20/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17836 posts
2556460_o.gif
08:56pm 20/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21415 posts
other side of the river, construction commences within one year, my side of the river? doesn't look like anything is marked. lololololo
09:14pm 20/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9902 posts
The National Broadband Network will be switched on for the first time in Brisbane on Wednesday.

officially?

I was impressed that Telstra hooked in around Sth Brissie, though something tells me that it'll be Optus who come's a knockin' at my door to install fiber long before Telstra or any other ISP does.

*edit*

most peeps I run into in south Brissy go with TPG. $70 a month for 300-download aint bad for a 30MB connection. That's 6 times more than Bigpond is offering me for about the same money atm
09:18pm 20/02/13 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8117 posts
"About 500 homes in the northern Brisbane suburb of Aspley will be connected to the optic fire cable network, with about 1700 to follow in the coming weeks."

I do not believe that at all. I'm pretty anti-NBN because I'm not on their 3 year plan, but biases aside, the NBN counts premises passed, not households actually on the NBN. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with those figures. There's a big difference between your street having NBN run down it, and having a NBN tech come out and run fiber to your home and you plugging in. A big difference.
09:25pm 20/02/13 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6261 posts
^it's happening dude, get over it.
09:42pm 20/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21417 posts
"About 500 homes in the northern Brisbane suburb of Aspley will be connected to the optic fire cable network, with about 1700 to follow in the coming weeks."I do not believe that at all. I'm pretty anti-NBN because I'm not on their 3 year plan, but biases aside, the NBN counts premises passed, not households actually on the NBN. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with those figures. There's a big difference between your street having NBN run down it, and having a NBN tech come out and run fiber to your home and you plugging in. A big difference.

So what are they doing? Just running it down the street and if you choose to get an NBN based ISP they come run it up to your house? Or are they going to run it down the street and into every house regardless of whether you want it or will be connecting to it?
09:47pm 20/02/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6786 posts
So what are they doing? Just running it down the street and if you choose to get an NBN based ISP they come run it up to your house? Or are they going to run it down the street and into every house regardless of whether you want it or will be connecting to it?
It used to be an opt-in thing, but now it's opt-out. So they contact the owner of the property to find out what they want.
09:53pm 20/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17837 posts
I'm pretty anti-NBN because I'm not on their 3 year plan

you sound mad, are you mad?
10:00pm 20/02/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5725 posts
Haters gonna hate..... the motherfucking wait
10:39pm 20/02/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16667 posts
i think i'm within their 3 year plan.
10:42pm 20/02/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5726 posts
I am happy kicks off in 12mths at my place
10:44pm 20/02/13 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9863 posts
Anyone have any 100mbit/40-50mbit up plans yet? I'm on that list of suburbs but Cable is pretty good so can't see any good reason to move just yet unless its cheaper.
12:00am 21/02/13 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8120 posts
So what happens? People get on NBN and it's so awesome they no longer have time to post to qgl?
12:20am 21/02/13 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5383 posts
I'm not sure what plan you are on Skitza but NBN plans certainly look cheaper for me.

Currently with Bigpond on 100/2 with 500GB for $119.95 a month (have mobile through them but no other services so no discount).

iiNet's biggest NBN plan is 100/40 with 500GB/500GB for $99.95 a month.

The suburb I'm in has 'Construction Commenced as of Jan 2013' too.
10:01am 21/02/13 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13921 posts
Yeah, not on the 3 year plan either.

I can't believe nothing is planned for Blackburn through Clayton region. They have been smashing business developments in that area but no NBN :-/ Bizarre.
10:48am 21/02/13 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21246 posts
They should save the money and put it towards schools, hospitals and stuff to do with single mums and kids.
10:50am 21/02/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5399 posts
I have mate up north who is on 100/40 at his work. He said its awesome and gets roughly the max speed, pretty bloody jealous!!!
10:52am 21/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6412 posts
I'm sad with my 100/2 cable :( i can barely upload! If i wasn't such a complete leech it would matter maybe!
11:32am 21/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10779 posts
I got new copper lines installed a couple months ago, and the company said our suburb would never ever get NBN.
11:41am 21/02/13 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1519 posts
According to the roll out map I am getting it .. "at some point" but towns next to me that are smaller are starting to get it next year.
11:45am 21/02/13 Permalink
es
Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
Everyone will eventually be able to get NBN, be it Fiber, Wireless or Satellite.

The NBN Fiber & Wireless products are both miles ahead of any ADSL2+ product in Australia, regardless of your distance from the exchange.
Fixed Wireless just switched from 12Mbit Maximum speeds to 25Mbit, Ericson won't install a fixed wireless service in your home unless you're capable of receiving 25Mbit or more.

It's cheaper than ADSL because of the wholesale price NBNCo set across the board.
You can connect to 4 different ISPs with all NBNCo installations (there is 4 data ports on the NTD) except the Satellite platform, meaning if you're unhappy with one ISP you just ring another and get connected -- which should take less than an hour -- and then cancel your other plan without having to be offline at all.
11:48am 21/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17840 posts
Thank you mr nbn representitive
11:52am 21/02/13 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1770 posts
Where I am moving is in the three year plan. So, we'll see. Honestly, I would love more upload speed. 1024kb/s isn't enough, especially since I'm playing around with streaming my gaming fun times.
11:55am 21/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3595 posts
I'm not sure what plan you are on Skitza but NBN plans certainly look cheaper for me.Currently with Bigpond on 100/2 with 500GB for $119.95 a month (have mobile through them but no other services so no discount). iiNet's biggest NBN plan is 100/40 with 500GB/500GB for $99.95 a month.The suburb I'm in has 'Construction Commenced as of Jan 2013' too.

aren't those current plans much cheaper than the eventual plans due to the retail ISPs not paying for backhaul atm?
11:56am 21/02/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7907 posts
I think it should be synchronous :(
11:57am 21/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3596 posts

i think it should be FTTN and if you need glass to your house, you can pay for it.
12:10pm 21/02/13 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5384 posts
aren't those current plans much cheaper than the eventual plans due to the retail ISPs not paying for backhaul atm?

Not sure. I'm just quoting off the iinet NBN page http://www.iinet.net.au/nbn/
12:11pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13509 posts
i think it should be FTTN and if you need glass to your house, you can pay for it.

Only if NBNCo owns the copper, right? Would FTTN mean that people who live a long way from their exchange and get shitty connection speeds (like my 4meg POS) would still get ~50? 30? 20? Would they install new nodes or something? Are we talking about ADSL under the FTTN option?
12:21pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
14127 posts
I support that concept in principle, but it just completely falls apart when you consider the logistics of fitting it within the current network paradigm in Australia.

The biggest failing would be for everyone living in a unit block, where a huge proportion of the people most likely to want the highest speed connections would be.

To get FTTP just for yourself, you'd have to work get approval from authorities completely out of your control, like with Telstra/Optus cable now, if your strata/body corp doesn't want to wire up the whole building, stiff shit. It would be hard enough for an owner occupier, let alone a renter.

In theory, it sounds like a great idea that I'd like to support --I'd be ok with drop $1000 or so as an install fee to upgrade a FTTN connection to FTTP-- but it just doesn't seem practical, especially since the gov would have to navigate a whole new Telstra minefield to even get FTTN happening in the first place.
12:40pm 21/02/13 Permalink
es
Melbourne, Victoria
4 posts
Running it to every house straight away is the cheapest way to do it, doing it adhoc after the fact would blow the costs way out and your average consumer would never be able to justify the cost.

It also doesn't take into account the fact that they may have to rip up part of the street every single time someone wanted fiber.

Your fiber from the street doesn't just go into a T junction right outside your house, it's hauled back to an FSAN via various other connectors.

There is also a potential for disruption to your neighbors with glass already going to their house.

02:33pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35187 posts
I'm sad with my 100/2 cable :( i can barely upload! If i wasn't such a complete leech it would matter maybe!
02:36pm 21/02/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5406 posts

It will be, they said this will happen when they bring out "Business Plans"
02:41pm 21/02/13 Permalink
es
Melbourne, Victoria
5 posts
If your ISP plays ball (and a few are already), you can quite happily order a 400/160Mbit service over the Fiber product using something akin to the old PPP Multipoint of the EFM (Ethernet first mile) days.

It's kind of pointless though because datacenter space and bandwidth in Australia has never been cheaper.
02:53pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13229 posts
Running it to every house straight away is the cheapest way to do it, doing it adhoc after the fact would blow the costs way out and your average consumer would never be able to justify the cost.

It also doesn't take into account the fact that they may have to rip up part of the street every single time someone wanted fiber.

Your fiber from the street doesn't just go into a T junction right outside your house, it's hauled back to an FSAN via various other connectors.

There is also a potential for disruption to your neighbors with glass already going to their house.

I suspect most of that post isn't true, or is at least highly exaggerated
02:58pm 21/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3597 posts

There are nodes available atm that can handle both copper and fibre, enabling a transition from one to the other a matter of replacing the run, so not ripping up the street, but using the copper to pull through the fibre.
03:09pm 21/02/13 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1714 posts
The copper network is failing apart.
Telstra trialled VDSL on its ISAM s which are already capable of VDSL with a change of line card.

Results? Good as long as you live within 1000meters.

100mbit ~100meters
50mbit ~ 1000 meters
25mbit ~ 1500 meters

Dropping off significantly from 1500meters , so you end up with nothin enter than today for 80% of users.

then take into account the woeful state of most of the network and FTTN becomes completely useless.
03:16pm 21/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3598 posts
The biggest failing would be for everyone living in a unit block, where a huge proportion of the people most likely to want the highest speed connections would be.To get FTTP just for yourself, you'd have to work get approval from authorities completely out of your control, like with Telstra/Optus cable now, if your strata/body corp doesn't want to wire up the whole building, stiff shit. It would be hard enough for an owner occupier, let alone a renter.In theory, it sounds like a great idea that I'd like to support --I'd be ok with drop $1000 or so as an install fee to upgrade a FTTN connection to FTTP-- but it just doesn't seem practical, especially since the gov would have to navigate a whole new Telstra minefield to even get FTTN happening in the first place.

Oh, i thought they were already doing some kind of VDSL type FTTN setup for unit blocks to avoid having to rip them up to pulling fibre into. Is that not correct?

As for the payment, I think ISPs could be very crafty here, were by paying for the upgrade to fibre themselves but locking people into a contract to pay it off over a number of months like a mobile phone plan.
03:18pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
14131 posts
Oh, i thought they were already doing some kind of VDSL type FTTN setup for unit blocks to avoid having to rip them up to pulling fibre into. Is that not correct?
I can't confirm the specifics of the current ALP NBN, but my understanding was that it was mostly going to be FTTP all the way through to each dwelling within a unit block.

What I do know for sure is that the Coalition's modified NBN plan won't include a shitload of unit blocks in it's FTTN solution at all, because Turnbull has recently come out and confirmed that areas already serviced by HFC won't be part of their plan (at least not any time soon). Which counts out pretty much every unit that I've lived in over the past decade or so.

Here's a rather amusingly cranky article about that particular revelation: http://delimiter.com.au/2013/02/15/turnbull-confirms-hfc-areas-last-to-get-fttn-if-at-all/
03:29pm 21/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3599 posts
What I do know for sure is that the Coalition's modified NBN plan won't include a shitload of unit blocks in it's FTTN solution at all, because Turnbull has recently come out and confirmed that areas already surfaced by HFC won't be part of their plan (at least not any time soon).

what i read was that areas serviced by HFC will get done, but done last. IMO i think that is wiser than overbuilding one area while other areas have nothing. Sure there are going to be people in HFC areas who will have to wait, but you can't please everyone all the time.
03:32pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
14132 posts
HFC coverage is a huge chunk of metro areas, and a massive bulk of the population that would be the ones most likely to desire and utilise a high speed connection. So you've got all these people in units that can't get cable because of permission logistics, and wouldn't get FTTN until very last, if at all.

I'm enjoying my 100mbit telstra cable at the moment, but it already noticeably degrades in peak times, and I'm in on the city fringe. This pretty much matches my thoughts on it's longer term viability (the steam train hyperbole is overdoing it a bit though) http://delimiter.com.au/2013/02/21/hfc-the-steam-train-of-broadband-says-budde/
03:37pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13513 posts
People in places with 4meg connections that fuck up in the rain don't have a lot of sympathy for your complaints about your 100 meg service Dan :)
03:47pm 21/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3600 posts
i guess the point is, high speed alternatives are available for the majority of the people in the HFC areas if they want them, the big driver of the NBN in my understanding was to fix the people who can't get basic adsl2 speeds currently, and if we are going to fix people up, they should be the ones fixed up first.

On the other hand, if the NBN wants to control cost blowouts (HAHA) then it would make sense to cover the most densely populated places first but due to pandering to the independents it was built outwards in, instead of inwards out.
03:52pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13514 posts
Why does it cost less to build inwards out?
03:57pm 21/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3601 posts
Why does it cost less to build inwards out?

by covering the densely populated areas with the higher pickup rates first you can generate more revenue sooner to offset ongoing rollout costs?

so it doesn't decrease the cost, it just increases the revenue.
03:59pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
14133 posts
People in places with 4meg connections that fuck up in the rain don't have a lot of sympathy for your complaints about your 100 meg service Dan :)
For sure dude, I'm just saying it's not a good long term solution. Also, it's hugely anti competitive to carriers that aren't Telstra.

i guess the point is, high speed alternatives are available for the majority of the people in the HFC areas if they want them, the big driver of the NBN in my understanding was to fix the people who can't get basic adsl2 speeds currently, and if we are going to fix people up, they should be the ones fixed up first.
Perhaps that's where we fundamentally differ, because my understanding of the primary big driver for the NBN is to bring a new dependable standard of broadband connectivty to all Australians, and create lasting infrastructure that the whole country and economy can benefit from no matter where they want to live (which is something that I believe can't be done efficiently as a patch up job).

Edit: The second big driver then, is obv repairing the competitive environment of Australian telcos by subverting the incumbant monopolistic elements (which we likely differ philosophically on also).
04:00pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13515 posts
by covering the densely populated areas with the higher pickup rates first you can generate more revenue sooner to offset ongoing rollout costs?so it doesn't decrease the cost, it just increases the revenue.

But you're selling fast internet to people who have fast internet and not delivering any real improvements to the country's quality of internet service. You might get a few extra bucks during the build but you make the people with the shittiest internet wait the longest for improvements (so there is a social and economic opportunity cost to the country).

This is a public project with goals other than how to make money, its 'costs' and 'benefits' are not purely bottom line related, unless you're an infi-esque thinker. The very reason that its a public project is that cities are already well serviced with reasonable-quality broadband because private companies have had this narrow high-density focus.
04:03pm 21/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3602 posts
But you're selling fast internet to people who have fast internet and not delivering any real improvements to the country's quality of internet service. You might get a few extra bucks during the build but you make the people with the shittiest internet wait the longest for improvements (so there is a social and economic opportunity cost to the country).This is a public project with goals other than how to make money, its 'costs' and 'benefits' are not purely bottom line related, unless you're an infi-esque thinker. The very reason that its a public project is that cities are already well serviced with reasonable-quality broadband because private companies have had this narrow high-density focus.

yes but the end result would be the same, just the amount it would cost would be different, so in this world of limited money, it makes a difference.
04:08pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13516 posts
yes but the end result would be the same, just the amount it would cost would be different, so in this world of limited money, it makes a difference.

Yes, but it ignores the other costs of a public project, the project saves a few bucks by allowing the tax-paying citizens with the worst internet quality wait longer.
04:16pm 21/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3605 posts
Yes, but it ignores the other costs of a public project, the project saves a few bucks by allowing the tax-paying citizens with the worst internet quality wait longer.

Yeah it sucks, but you can't make everyone happy.
04:22pm 21/02/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7910 posts
es how do I hook that up?
04:29pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13520 posts
Yeah it sucks, but you can't make everyone happy.

Regardless of out-in or in-out, the NBN will pay the Government back, so the project can afford the cost of actually improving service quality quickly.
04:39pm 21/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9907 posts
because Turnbull has recently come out and confirmed that areas already serviced by HFC won't be part of their plan (at least not any time soon). Which counts out pretty much every unit that I've lived in over the past decade or so.

meh - politicians backflip every other day.

Optus still wants to pull their HFC down and replace it with NBN fiber - and they'll do it
09:01pm 21/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3924 posts

What I'd give for 4!

Hate you Dan ;-)

Hate everyone over 1.7MB.
09:06pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9942 posts
What I'd give for 4!

Hate you Dan ;-)

Hate everyone over 1.7MB

Just remember that when you talk to/with Mammoth folk you talk to people with a Teltra pipes and servers (with ssh) on crazy fast Telstra backbones. They live on a different planet to normal folk.

My Upgraded cable deal doesn't do the advertised 20Mb (never broke 15Mb)... (it is however better than the Optus ADSL2 which ran at 6Mb and got similar advertised speeds). I'd rate it 9.5 out of 10 if I was getting a kick back.
11:46pm 21/02/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13231 posts
they all go home to their regular consumer internet just like you do after business hours though =]
in fact ara works from home on consumer internet
12:18am 22/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9910 posts
Just remember that when you talk to/with Mammoth folk you talk to people with a Teltra pipes and servers (with ssh) on crazy fast Telstra backbones. They live on a different planet to normal folk.

no

not really eh.
12:45am 22/02/13 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
14135 posts
FWIW Obes, I've also been working home from consumer Internet, that is not discounted in any way by my employer's affiliations. I'm just fortunate enough that the location the rental house I applied for was in a street passed by Telstra's cable rollout, and is a freestanding house, and not an MDU.

I do remote desktop for a bunch of my work though, and am well aware that if I was working for pretty much any other Australian small business, the ease of which I can do that wouldn't be possible, and is part of the reason why I'm a big supported of the FTTP NBN.
07:46am 22/02/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5729 posts
I have a boat load of clients on managed copper and fiber, they are certainly looking forward to swapping over to business nbn connections. One of them is forking over nearly 6k a month in intertubes

Our own office is shit slow with 4 DSL links + 3G backup feed into an aggregator and we fork over about $1.2k ish a month. If we chose to drop the aggregator and 3 of the DSL links and swap to 10/10 fiber we stand to save a bit and see some delivery of service. But if we could drop it in place of nbn its going to make shit actually fucking work as it should and save us fucking thousands.

I would welcome turnbull's plan to connect the last mile if it speeds up the process to bring the services into the building. But it entirely depends on what that last mile costs or have reasonable costs attributed to implementing it
08:37am 22/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19532 posts
Regardless of out-in or in-out, the NBN will pay the Government back, so the project can afford the cost of actually improving service quality quickly.

you make the NBN sound like a magic pudding that should be built no matter the cost.
08:56am 22/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35193 posts
you make the NBN sound like a magic pudding that should be built no matter the cost.

durr, it is.
09:00am 22/02/13 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
1035 posts

yeah current uploads are the pits. If i'm at work and want to RDP to home, it takes about 10 seconds to draw the screen. gimme some real upload plz.

Also for those who are being rolled out, if you want a more detailed status, this is for you: www.nbnco.com.au/assets/documents/rollout-info-monthly-feb-2013.pdf usually updates around the middle of the month. 31-May-13 is my expected date of ready for service woo!
11:37am 24/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6429 posts
That's a really useful link, thanks Red
11:56am 24/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3787 posts

and the snowy mt hydro scheme was a waste of money that would never pay for itself, or be worth the input,

good thing some pollies aren't all libs eh
12:35pm 24/02/13 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
12:35pm 24/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks