We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
Recommend me Gaming Laptop!
Seany
New South Wales
33 posts
Hi I currently own a very outdated laptop and will be travelling quite a fair bit the next few years so I need something that can run any current games and any of the new video games coming out within the next few years, regardless of whether it runs the newest games on lowest settings or not as long as it runs them.
Worth mentioning I'm not looking for any particular brand of GPU so I'm versatile with those and also not very fussed on the CPU I have owned AMD my whole life though, maybe a change to Intel might do me some good? Who knows!

Thanks in advance!

Budget is between $800-$1500!
08:03pm 19/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:03pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21406 posts
I'm considering one too, was thinking about this: MSI brand. I think I saw them mentioned in a previous gaming laptop thread, although the Dell's look pretty decent spec vs price with the sale that's on so I was eyeing up one of those too.
08:52pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Seany
New South Wales
34 posts
Yeah I was looking at that exact one only a couple of hours ago, doesn't look all that bad either I rather a MSI over Dell because of the issues with warranty and that kind of stuff though.
08:53pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20661 posts
I rather a MSI over Dell because of the issues with warranty and that kind of stuff though

Issues with warranty? Wouldn't Dell have a better warranty?
08:55pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Seany
New South Wales
35 posts
If s*** breaks on a Dell i find it rather annoying to deal with considering where I am there is no official warranty repair agent that is local.
08:58pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Dazzagc
Gold Coast, Queensland
1324 posts
ASUS one, you better look at msy :)
10:26pm 19/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6401 posts
MSI have the best gaming laptops per dollar right now. There's a bit of variety in price and product; make sure you get one with an nvidia card imo :P
10:41pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21411 posts
ASUS one, you better look at msy :)

Which asus one, there's like 500 asus laptops. This one perhaps?.
11:05pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2326 posts
+1 for MSI here
11:07pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Seany
New South Wales
36 posts
hmmm I see well i was considering a MSI laptop similar to the one Whoop posted, is it worth getting if it has an ATI GPU in it? There is an option to get an nvidia card in it instead.
11:32pm 19/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6403 posts
ATI in my experience has never gone well in laptops. But i'm out of touch on the latest cards, just generally they get hot(er than nvidia cards) which in turn on a small form factor like laptops means bad things happen more often to the laptop (shared heatsink and space etc)
11:34pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Seany
New South Wales
37 posts
Hmm good insight there skythra, ive never used Nvidia cards before so maybe ill try one of them then!
12:48am 20/02/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2512 posts
Which asus one, there's like 500 asus laptops. This one perhaps?.

My boss at work recently got some version of that one from Amazon, arrived with a cracked screen (no box damage), sent it back and got a replacement that was stuck on 100% fan constantly, after that he gave up and just got a refund.

He might have just been really unlucky and they seem like decent laptops but from reading about them around the net it seems like the build quality is lower than average with a lot of people also complaining about faulty touchpads.
01:42am 20/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21413 posts
ATI in my experience has never gone well in laptops. But i'm out of touch on the latest cards, just generally they get hot(er than nvidia cards) which in turn on a small form factor like laptops means bad things happen more often to the laptop (shared heatsink and space etc)

I currently LAN on a macbook pro whose CPU reaches 100 degrees Celsius. That s*** gets hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch (aluminium body). Fun stuff. Still runs though :)
01:55am 20/02/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1878 posts
Nvidia > ATI I think, though a bit more pricey generally.
06:12am 20/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9905 posts
I currently LAN on a macbook pro whose CPU reaches 100 degrees Celsius. That s*** gets hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch (aluminium body). Fun stuff. Still runs though :)

all good - Applecare got ya covered

just buy a new one

*edit* unless you go all American on their asses - sue those guys for scalding your V-Jay-Jay data
11:34pm 20/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21422 posts
my macbook is WAAAAAY out of warranty. The touch pad button works intermittently and the power cord is broken so you have to wiggle it to make it work. heh
11:46pm 20/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21453 posts
Update by me in case the OP hasn't got one yet, or has but hasn't bothered posting and in case anyone is also looking at one.

I bought an MSI GE60 288AU today and here's my first impressions.

The build quality is quite... well I don't know. It's not "s***", it's just "cheap".

It sits quite solid on the desk and it feels solid when your hands are resting on the keyboard. HOWEVER! The little component covers on the bottom of the laptop are VERY thin and I wouldn't be surprised if they broke if you're not too careful just by picking it up with one hand, grabbing the lid and base at the same time which is something I do quite frequently with my MBP.

Haven't had a chance to test out the gaming abilities yet because I'm still trying to figure out how the hell you use windows 8. 5 minutes in and i'm ready to /wrist. Seriously, who on earth likes windows 8? It's pure s***. On a tablet it might be great but keep it off PC's. Will install a game or two and report back, or not if no one cares.
07:07pm 25/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6431 posts
The keyboard on them is supposed to be designed/built? by steelseries who do good quality mechanical stuff.. but yeah it's still msi i guess and they are cheap on the pocket too. It's not like you can come close to that price on a discounted dell or MBP for the specs.

edit: in a way it feels either for an enthusiest or they're expecting you to need to clean the fan a lot... not sure which...
http://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/pics/958b23afa9_01.jpg
07:30pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Seany
New South Wales
38 posts
Sorry i've been away for the past couple of days, i'd be interested on seeing what your findings are on how it handles games. I still haven't decided on buying a laptop yet so I guess any information or findings would be greatly appreciated :)
08:22pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21455 posts
well it's dusty here + I have a cat so I'll be taking advantage of any easy cleaning I can get. I have to take about 16 screws to get at the fans on my MBP to clean them :(

Seany: Sure thing. At the moment though I'm trying to remove all the bloat they give you (f*****g norton internet security of all things) and get everything set up. The only game I have that might be taxing on it is Far Cry 2. I haven't got the Crysis 3 beta, (didn't bother with it since I played the alpha and I'm guessing that won't run anymore)

All in all I'm not too disappointed in it so far. Like I said the built quality isn't s***, it just reflects the price. It feels really solid under the hands, just typing on this thread though I can feel it getting warm so I don't know how it's going to be for long gaming sessions.

The only gripe I have is the screen is 15" and 1920 x 1080. The text is too small for my broken eyes to read :p
09:09pm 25/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6432 posts
The only gripe I have is the screen is 15" and 1920 x 1080. The text is too small for my broken eyes to read :p

Yeah, that's really a windows fault, even in windows 8 it's not really fixed.. sure the tiles help but anything that's in a browser you gotta zoom, or a word doc, or anything. Apple really knew what they were doing when they put in a scaling thing. It's my one point that apple has clearly over microsoft in that regard.

It's not even like it was inconceivable that by 2008 people would have 30" monitors with 2500x1600 res, or 15" with 1920x1200. But still they decided to do nothing about scaling their UI. Because people had these things and it was clear that it would become more common.

Ohwell.
10:37pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21457 posts
well. I just went played some cod 4 on it, doesn't actually run all that well to be honest. 1920 x 1080, not quite full but not quite medium settings, around 80fps average I guess but really drops down when there's lots of action on the screen and gets choppy. CPU got up to 90 degrees celsius so the cooling in this thing is utter s***. I mean cod 4 is how many years old now? S*** should run at 1000000000000000fps on a modern video card.

Body of it gets really warm, not nearly as hot as my macbook pro but that's because the MBP is aluminium and is like holding your hand on a frying pan. It's uncomfortable and makes your palms sweatty, even after only a few minutes.
11:21pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Seany
New South Wales
39 posts
CPU got up to 90 degrees celsius so the cooling in this thing is utter s***. I mean cod 4 is how many years old now? S*** should run at 1000000000000000fps on a modern video card.Body of it gets really warm, not nearly as hot as my macbook pro but that's because the MBP is aluminium and is like holding your hand on a frying pan. It's uncomfortable and makes your palms sweatty, even after only a few minutes.

This is the current issue I have with my laptop at the moment. It currently gets really hot which makes gaming for extended periods really hard to do. I have tried everything from fans to cooling pads near it to keep it cool.
I see that CoD doesn't run like s*** but should be running alot faster then that so its issues with the CPU bottlenecking i assume that causes the fps loss/issues when game gets hectic. As anyone will tell you gaming on a laptop was never meant to happen. Love to hear some other experiences with a few newer games to see the current gen framerates.
11:50pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21458 posts
yeah I installed farcry 2, then decided to see what "battery calibration" was. Now it looks like ima have to leave it overnight like my macbook does and it figures out the health of the battery. Won't be any more tests tonight. I'll try farcry 2 tomorrow, and set up a couple of games on the MBP and on this thing and try to configure them the same. Might post my own thread about it, might not. I'm not really that good at reviews of stuff.

I just keep comparing it to my old toshiba x200. My brother now has that tihng and the CPU stays around 60 - 70 while in games, the speakers on it are amazing (4 on top + subwoofer underneath, in a LAPTOP). The trouble with it was, it was unstable and I don't have the time to pull things apart and fix them. He took it to bits, more heatsink paste and now it's a good laptop (although does still crash occasionally).

I've never heard sound from a laptop as good as that thing had. It also apparently plays farcry 3, probably not as well as a PC but he says it runs (not sure what settings). And that's only an 8700M GT video card I believe.
12:06am 26/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21459 posts
oi seany

FC2's benchmarking app:
Settings: Demo(Ranch Medium), 1920x1080 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
got me nigh on 68FPS average with a max of 100 and min of 25.

I also ran the crysis timedemo and on 1920 x 1080 all details set to "rape my pc" (highest setting) I got 10FPS, and that's running on batteries. On AC it gets an average of 18.62FPS.

For comparison my PC with the same settings (but obviously different hardware - CPU: i7 2700k @ 4.5ghz and a GTX 570OC video card) got an average of 45FPS.
08:27pm 26/02/13 Permalink
Seany
New South Wales
40 posts
Hmm interesting to see that! Well it doesn't seem like a bad laptop by any means at all.
01:07am 27/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21463 posts
If you have any specific questions about it, send me a PM as I think this thread has run its course and I won't be posting any kind of review thread because there's probably a million of them already on youtube / the interwebs.

If you plan on getting one, I suggest getting a USB keyboard as well. I find it to be infinitely more comfortable and also the laptop can get as hot as it wants and you won't feel it. I use some cheap one on my MBP by "emprex" but it's a damn good keyboard.

I did run a temp monitor in the background while playing crysis and here's what I got.
http://i.imgur.com/un1opRs.png
01:55am 27/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6438 posts
Jesus, on the CPU? I read that as the temp on the videocard :o I didn't even know the thermal limit on the CPU went that high lol.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-Notebook-Processor.80051.0.html says it's limit is 105c. So i guess you're ok. I'm surprised really.

GPU being cooler than CPU is craazy.

Edit: BTW thanks for that whoop, i've been thinking about getting a gaming laptop towards the end of the year to make LANs easier (i'm constantly borrowing my mates gf's laptop when i go over kicking her to the PS3). So the info is good.
10:56am 27/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21464 posts
My MBP regularly reaches the 100 even mark while iMovie is doing its thing, also while gaming in windows it gets really hot.

I would say it's more to do with the ridiculous slim designs. My Toshiba stayed cooler because the thing was almost 2 inches thick and weighed a tonne so it probably had massive heat sinks. It had a separate fan for the video card and CPU whereas this one only has one fan for both by the looks of that picture.

Also anyone thinking of upgrading the RAM or hard drive later? Forget about it. The base panel is all one piece and there's a warranty sticker over one of the screws so any user upgrades will void your warranty. lolwut.
10:02pm 27/02/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
814 posts
10:57pm 27/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:57pm 27/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.