AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Quit working in PNG, need new job
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1285 posts
I have just resigned from my job in PNG and am on the lookout for a new one. I got tired working 12 hour days 7 days a week behind barbed wire compounds in the sweltering heat of the jungles in New Guinea. Plus it was a dry site (no alcohol) which made it even worse. In most of the mines I have consulted they are wet sites (Alcohol is available). On top of that when I came back off-site I still had to work in the office whereas others were rostered off. In effect I was working 14 days straight then 10 days over 14 days when back home, rinse and repeat.

The money was fantastic but I was overworked and had no personal life. I'm happy to forgo the money just to have a normal life again.

I have linked my LinkedIn profile to see if there is anything in there that might prompt you to think of somewhere to direct my efforts towards seeking new employment. I have budgeted for 2 months out of work. I'm hoping that's all I'll need.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=45131320&trk=tab_pro
09:36pm 18/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:36pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13916 posts
I hear there's some new positions as Sorcerer Torturer/Executionist going over in PNG. Sounds pretty exciting.
09:38pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1286 posts
On one of my rotations last year there was a PNG local discovered lying dead in a creek with his balls cut off, throat cut and head bashed in. When the PNG Police asked the natives of the local village what happened they said he drowned.

Another event was last rotation we had 4 spears thrown at our bus. Rule No. 1 keep your windows of the bus closed when travelling between camp and production facility.
09:43pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1287 posts
To give you an idea how hard it is to attract people to work in the jungles of PNG the remote allowance on top of your salary where I worked was AUD$57K per year.
09:45pm 18/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8783 posts
They can keep their $57k and I will keep my balls thanks.
09:48pm 18/02/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
806 posts
Sweet how do I get a job there?
09:51pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1288 posts
^ What quals do you have?
09:55pm 18/02/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
807 posts
Civil eng bach. only about 2 years exp in road/infrastructure. 9-5 office job is boring the hell outta me
10:02pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1289 posts
They are currently engaged in the construction and commissioning for a whole new array of LNG extraction and production sites. Roads, pileines, wellheads, production and export facilities up and down PNG's Southern Highlands to Port Moresby. The company I was working for was an Oil and Gas company with interests in PNG, Yemen, Northern Iraq and Tunisia. They may very well be interested.

Do not use my name, it's mud up there now that I quit with very short notice. I was absolutely jack of it all and was a real bastard when I resigned. I am certain in saying I won't ever be going back there even if I wanted to.
10:08pm 18/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1216 posts
Without trying to sound like a c***, how can you only have enough for 2 months off work if you are earning 57k alone in remote allowance? or is that the maximum you are willing to go without pay?
10:13pm 18/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19516 posts
Out of curiosity, what kind of $$$ are you making over in PNG? I always wanted to know what they gotta pay people to go over there.

My builder took a job over there building houses for locals to live in simply because there is absolutely no construction work in Queensland. And it is by accounts like Lord of the Flies over there.
10:29pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1290 posts
If I am out of work for longer than 2 months it might restrict further employment opportunities so I've been told by the Employment Agency I deal with. It looks like your a loser.

Infi just a little under AUD$220K.
10:39pm 18/02/13 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4115 posts
Infi just a little under AUD$220K.

you just said the Magic word. I grew up in the middle east.. primitives with spears are not a concern. where do i sign up?
10:48pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1291 posts
^ I'd prefer not to state on a public website so I'll PM you.
10:51pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1292 posts
Here's a better link to my profile. I think the other link is a bit restrictive for people to view.

au.linkedin.com/pub/shaun-nichol/13/145/7b4/
11:01pm 18/02/13 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4116 posts
thanks dude. understand why :)
11:01pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21401 posts
I hear JPEG is hiring
11:19pm 18/02/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21006 posts
I want some of that phat lewt too :P
11:31pm 18/02/13 Permalink
GarnGit
Mackay, Queensland
147 posts
But...but...but, you're not FAT !!!
11:49pm 18/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8455 posts
No luck with my network for that type of work SFB.. Closest place would be Intergraph but I haven't worked there for 5 years.
07:58am 19/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35176 posts
hows your perl programming and how would you feel about making me coffees?
07:59am 19/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17826 posts
i'm definitely not looking to move to png but i'm looking at swapping jobs and most of what seems to be going at the moment is site based stuff including a lot to a bit of travelling around qld with civil contractors

doesn't appear to be much consultant work around at the moment

a new experience working on the other side of the fence could be good though
08:51am 19/02/13 Permalink
taggs
6081 posts
SFB, you didnt happen to work at OK Tedi did you?

doesn't appear to be much consultant work around at the moment

There's a bit going around for the top tier engineering consultancies.
09:37am 19/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1293 posts
^ No I worked for an Oil company. Ok Tedi was further to the west.
10:01am 19/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1294 posts
Just to give some people an idea of what it like onsite in some of these places. I worked both domestically and internationally in these environments. Always as a consultant not as an employee but my experience is basically the same.

First of all the roster. I have been where there are:

4 days on 3 days off
9 days on 5 days off
8 days on 6 days off
28 days on 14 days off
28 days on 28 days off
6 weeks on 3 weeks off

The longer the roster the more it is likely to be an international site due to FIFO costs (international flights). The longer the roster the bigger the toll on tiredness, health and wellbeing. Let's not forget the ever present negative impact on home life either, especially if your spouse works too or you have a number of kids.

The shift hours. In all places I've been to it's a 12 hour day/night shift. Mostly the maintenance tradespeople and operators work day/night whilst many, not all, of the others are only day shift. Shift hours I have experienced were:

Australia: 7:00am to 7:00pm
PNG: 6:00am to 6:00pm
USA: 5:30am to 5:30pm
Indonesia 6:00am to 6:00pm

I found myself on average getting up between 4:00am and 5:00am as most of the work I did was international. Going to bed around 8:30pm and no later than 9:30pm or I'd be stuffed the next day.

Accommodation:

A non-shared donger (bedroom + ensuite). These are basically like containers, not big and some can be extremely old depending on the age of the site. In Indonesia they were containers (I stayed at a beach resort instead, f*** containers).

A shared donger where 2 bedrooms share a common ensuite with a door on each side where you can lock the other door on the inside whilst having a s***, shower and shave. These are usually the older sites. PNG had a lot of this.

Shared VIP where you'd have 3 or 4 rooms connected to a central loungeroom with maybe 2 bathrooms to share.

Luxury was where you actually had a room similar to a motel room. I had this a few times in PNG (they were new facilities).

In the USA there is no FIFO culture so you lived in a town nearby and commuted. When I was in Winnemucca Nevada I commuted 1 hour to site at Twin Creeks Gold Mine by my own car. This actually made the day a 14 hour day starting at 4:30am and not getting back to my hotel till 6:30pm and going to bed at 8:30pm. Doesn't sound great does it.

There is more but I'll post that later.
12:22pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13345 posts
It sounds like excellent work for a 20-25 year old to earn some significant coin, getting a good start in life then working back in Aus at a normal job, however with a large sack of cash to put down on a home or something, making the rest of your life that bit easier. At around 25+ when families start kicking in is about time to stop that.

Does that about sum it up SFB?
12:48pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5703 posts
"I'm getting too old for this s***" -- Roger Murtaugh
01:05pm 19/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17827 posts
Toll i think that is the ideal plan

don't know how often that happens and a lot of the jobs probably require people with more experience than 20 - 25 year olds
01:21pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6185 posts
And, in my experence, a lot of those 20-25 YO's end up blowing a hell of a lot of that money on booze/parties during their off swing. I know people that buy brand new cars that sit at 'home' doing noting (except lose value) etc etc

Not all mind you, some are/were smart. Just a lot of the "I'll work in the Mines for a bit and come back rich" people aren't the most forward thinkers and seem to waste the money on junk. Then, after being in the 'real world' for a ltitle while, cant maintain their spend happy lifestyle and run into money troubles and go back out to the mines to 'just get ahead again'
01:40pm 19/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17828 posts
that was what i was eluding to

go work hard for a few weeks

come back and party hard on coke,pingers,girls for a couple of weeks

01:43pm 19/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8784 posts
come back and party hard on coke,pingers,girls for a couple of weeks

Where do I sign up?
02:08pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1295 posts
I found quite a few of the 20 somethings had well and truly done the right thing and either owned a home by the time they were 25 or eventually left, started there own business supplying services back to the industry and now have their own employees. They were definitely the smart ones and a lot smarter than I was at their age.

One of the younger blokes I met in PNG was out of Perth and had been working up there for 5 years and owned his own home and travelled O/S for holidays about twice a year.

The one plus is while your on site your not spending money on accommodation or food. You hardly spend a cent period onsite.
02:28pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1296 posts
Looks like I've got an interview early next week with another international oil company with 29 locations throughtout the world. Some travel to the Middle East, South East Asia and North/South America but mostly it's a 9 to 5 in the Brisbane CBD. Money is in the ball park.

My ultimate choice of a job would be a stay-at-home dad but I don't think the missus would put up with that.
02:40pm 19/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:40pm 19/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks