We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Can anyone help me with cookware (saucepans)?
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8765 posts
My current set of Aldi non-stick are close to death after 3 years of use. I recall that a handful of users on here have a lot of knowledge about the correct type of cookware, what to buy/where to buy it.

The Aldi set was only $50, but it has been the most useful set I've ever purchased. I'm aware that's cheap and they were likely poor quality also, so I'm looking for an upgrade.

I can't really break the bank atm and buy the "ultimate set" that will last a lifetime. Is there something anyone can recommend around the ~$200 mark for 3 saucepans (small/medium/large), that will provide a good "non-stick" experience?

Thanks in advance.
09:21am 18/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:21am 18/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6394 posts
What kind of cooktop do you use? (I don't know if this matters, except for induction it's all about heat on pan and fry? but hey someone else might ask)
11:11am 18/02/13 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3587 posts
Cast iron, lasts forever and if you season it properly it is pretty much non-stick. Pick them up at a garage sale or buy them cheap. Cast iron should never cost all that much (unless it's got fancy enamel coatings).
11:23am 18/02/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5392 posts
i got all my stuff from Harris scarfe, good price and good pots and pans
11:28am 18/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6410 posts
Try scanpan
11:40am 18/02/13 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3627 posts
if you buy scanpan make sure its the expensive one which is made in denmark, the cheaper range of it is made in china and is rubbish.

I've got really awesome use out of my ikea pans - never had an issue with those and they're used daily
11:46am 18/02/13 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8766 posts
The cast iron seasoning is going straight over my head. So I never wash it with soap?

edit: Can I use metal utensils on cast iron?
11:53am 18/02/13 Permalink
nubbin
Gold Coast, Queensland
576 posts
I would recommend Anolon, Circulon or Jamie Oliver Tefal.
12:28pm 18/02/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7898 posts
What are you predominantly cooking?
12:32pm 18/02/13 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8767 posts
Been reading a bit, it's starting to make more sense.

Non-stick: What I have now, can peel (what mine is doing) and a bunch of stuff about toxic chemicals. Out?

Stainless steel: Can't be damaged, metal utensils fine, not anti-stick, requires some skill. Possibly out (needs to be shared with unskilled people that will not be willing to learn)?

Cast iron: Needs to be seasoned. I've been reading though that it's not good for glass/ceramic cooktops (which I have)? Possibly out?

Cast iron enamel: No seasoning, non-stick (is it?), have to be careful with the coating (no metal utensils?) but seems to be super pricey. Yes?

What are you predominantly cooking?
95% stew type dishes for me, starting with stuff that needs to be pan-fried, but ending in liquid. Or baked.

Others need to be able to cook eggs/bacon/meat.
12:38pm 18/02/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7900 posts
I'd get a Chef Inox Profile 28 for standard eggs, etc. They're cheap but awesome. You'll notice they're the standard for most restaurants, and for good reason. You can abuse the s*** out of them and the non-stick is pretty good.

As for stewing etc, I think stainless is probably the go for you. Just ensure you use enough oil or butter at the start, and don't get too carried away with high temps.
12:45pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7675 posts
One thing I recommend is buying off Amazon. I did a lot of searching for a *really* good set of pots, and then stupidly decided after purchasing "hm, I wonder how much it would have cost if I got them overseas"... and it was like $100 less from Amazon.

My recommendation is avoid 'non-stick' or teflon pots, and get something with a copper base unless you're using an induction cook-top.

Also, never pay more than 70% off rec retail :P Homeware stores pretty much always have sales which are 60-70% off.
12:57pm 18/02/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2956 posts
Cast iron, lasts forever and if you season it properly it is pretty much non-stick. Pick them up at a garage sale or buy them cheap. Cast iron should never cost all that much (unless it's got fancy enamel coatings).
Fry pan yes, cast iron pots on the other hand don't seem like a good idea to me.

Just get some stainless steel pots and spray them with that magical chemical someone posted on here the other day. I'm sure you will be fine and not die.
12:57pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13343 posts
I've got a cast iron skillet, I love use it. It is pretty much non-stick now. I can cook eggs on it without sticking.
They are awesome for cooking meats like steak.

You have to give them a little time to heat up prior to cooking first, on the other side you can turn off the element and let the residual heat in the cast iron saucepan to finish it off.

Cheap and lasts forever if you are not a total noob.
12:59pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9970 posts
Why buy overseas when you can go to http://www.petersofkensington.com.au :)
01:19pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3628 posts
http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/ are generally cheaper than Peters of Kensington too.
01:34pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6411 posts
01:42pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9971 posts
Yeah but I had a bad run in service wise with victoriabasement tho, put me off them.
01:43pm 18/02/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
901 posts
95% stew type dishes for me, starting with stuff that needs to be pan-fried, but ending in liquid. Or baked.Others need to be able to cook eggs/bacon/meat.

Sounds like you need this for casseroles:
http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product_Detail.aspx?ParCatID=CW&SubCat1=CWBEFreGour&SubCat2=&ProductID=57213

I got one of these on sale for $120 at Vic basement in the new years sales. They're expensive but will last a really long time.

Also got a cast iron skillet with short handle for doing things like a spanish tortilla that needs to be fried then finished in the oven without a lid.

http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product_Detail.aspx?ParCatID=CW&SubCat1=CWBEFreGour&SubCat2=&ProductID=75766

Then also have a stanless steel frypan for doing stuff in when you need stuff to stick a bit for pan deglasing.

Have a tefal nonstick frypan and another smaller benzer nonstick plus a nonstick wok. The tefal nonstick has lasted 4 years now and is my most used pan as it's the easiest to clean and is heaps lighter than the cast iron skillet plus there's a lot more control with the copper/stainless steel base than cast iron.
03:32pm 18/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3771 posts
cast iron is as tough as s***,

abuse it like a BBQ plate, just keep it oiled

i've got a heap of pots and pans, but I keep using to same few

cast iron pan, (a little bigger than a dinner plate). i've got two, one with a wooden handle that cop's the most use, and a iron handled one, with is great for sticking in the oven after sealing meats

i've also got a little baccarat non stick, which is great for cooking one or two eggs. it has been a solid little pan (all i really do is put a little bit of butter in for flavour, cook egg, and it slides out an onto my toast no need for an egg flip)

for pots i've been using some heavy wiltshire pans from Big W, the have a copper core or something, but they all have a very heavy base,

just my two cents
03:46pm 18/02/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1133 posts
I've seen those StoneDine and Sapphire pans on TV, Wonder if they are any good.

http://www.danozdirect.com.au/flavorstone/

It's probably s***.
09:10am 19/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7677 posts
Here ya go CHUB.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97682/WP_20130219_001.jpg
Sale starts Thursday.
11:31am 19/02/13 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
2128 posts
Except no one knows where the sale starts, Raven!
12:19pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7678 posts
Yeah sorry, was in a hurry and realized I forgot to mention that after I jumped in the car.
its a Harris Scarfe sale.
12:24pm 19/02/13 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8768 posts
Thanks for all the help guys.

Victoria Basement has awesome prices for some of the pots I want but I'm seeing more than 1 complaint on the internet (and this thread). How many people have used them successfully?

Anyone else used that Zanui site jmr posted?
06:53am 20/02/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2329 posts
I dunno if you can get WMF in australia but this is like the s*** to get in germany. I recently just got this set on sale for about half price. Excellent quality, will probably have for at least the next 30 years. Kind of pricey but as the old saying goes, buy nice or buy twice.

http://www.wmf.de/shop/de_de/kuche/kochtopfe/kochgeschirr-set-6-teilig-saphir.html

http://cdn2.wmf.de/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/TuK/WMF/jpg/07/07_25/07_2506_6380_100.jpg
07:55am 20/02/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7902 posts
I am happy to be a guinea pig, need some more inox pans
10:24am 20/02/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10526 posts
95% stew type dishes for me, starting with stuff that needs to be pan-fried, but ending in liquid. Or baked.
Sounds like you want a casserole to me. They are pretty f*****g boss if you get a good one - they last forever. The only problem is that the brand you want, "Le Creuset", is motherf*****g crazy expensive sooooo I dunno.

Eat insta-raman for a month or two while you save up 3-400 :P
10:58am 20/02/13 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3629 posts
Victoria Basement has awesome prices for some of the pots I want but I'm seeing more than 1 complaint on the internet (and this thread). How many people have used them successfully?

I buy from there as does my girlfriends family and have done for years

Zero complaints - they're incredibly busy ALL the time though.

01:22pm 20/02/13 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8769 posts
I am happy to be a guinea pig, need some more inox pans
Ordered it this morning, thanks for the recommendation.

Sounds like you want a casserole to me. They are pretty f*****g boss if you get a good one - they last forever. The only problem is that the brand you want, "Le Creuset", is motherf*****g crazy expensive sooooo I dunno.
That's what I thought, spent a few days looking at Le Creuset stuff, but couldn't pull the trigger.

Ended up getting a "Chasseur" 20cm cast iron/enamel, $70 down from $240RRP on Victoria's Basement. Looked like the step down from Le Creuset but still in that high quality/French range. Fingers crossed I made the right decision.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys.
02:23pm 20/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:23pm 20/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.