Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
Recommend me...... Darts
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9908 posts
I got given an old British Dartboard, hasnt been used for 10 years but seems ok.
Got some god awful Darts that have crumbled at the wings.

Whats some good Darts ?
Checked out Rebel Sports at Chermside and they have el cheapo for $5 then some nice looking $16 Darts then some Pumas at $35

Anyone play competetively ?
Fox Sports sometimes shows Darts from England and Ireland and they have huge crowds in Auditoriums with beers and giant screens singing like the soccer lol. I think some Aussie recently won the championship over there.

03:28pm 16/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:28pm 16/02/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9937 posts
Simon Whitlock the "Wizard of Oz" ... There is another aussie that plays as well in the pro darts comps

http://www.dartworldaustralia.com.au
03:37pm 16/02/13 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2481 posts
Ive owned my own pro board for over 15 years and been playing since i was a kid.
The most important aspect of finding your dart is the weight. I use 10 gram weighted dart. And i just buy any brand as long as the shaft is metal and not plastic which snap real quick.
The ones i currently have are awesome but have no name on them and are 10 years old so cant remember brand. All i can say is Unicorn are S***. Dont get em.
If the pumas are all metal, id go with them. Depends on how much youll play. I put at least an hour a day into darts and am constantly buying new flights. But thats kinda what you want. Brilliant grouping ;)
03:53pm 16/02/13 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1165 posts
03:59pm 16/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10471 posts
04:10pm 16/02/13 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3358 posts
I highly recommend the 50 pack. You never run out of darts at the party and this will have the babes hanging off you in no time.

http://www.tobacco.net.au/images/P/horizon-blue-50s.jpg
06:21pm 16/02/13 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2482 posts
Good old Benny Smooth wins.
Ive always called them darbs, not darts btw.
07:46pm 16/02/13 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6126 posts
I inherited my dad's old pig skin dart board, took forever trying to track down some real feathered darts as opposed to the plastic ones that seem to be the norm, I had no luck whatsoever and just ended up getting some from rebel sport.
07:49pm 16/02/13 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2483 posts
Only feathered darts ive ever found are 15 grams in weight or more.
Pig hair (aka pro board) is the only way to go . Hang on to it as i believe they only make synthetic hair boards these days.
Maybe we should start up some kind of qgl game of 501 or something. Im prepared to be honest with scores but will video for proof if need be. anyone else keen?
08:50pm 16/02/13 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8152 posts
Used to play pub darts back in the day, awesome fun.

Cracks me up when I pick up some spears at a mates place every now and then after not touching them in years and the next day, I get a sore arm.

Used to be a pretty decent spear chucker back in the day :)

Metal shafts all the way, 10 - 12 gm
09:22pm 16/02/13 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
271 posts
I hope none of you blokes play like Phil Taylor.

Edit: I have to employ those tactics against my uncle who was a competitive darts player in his younger days. Can still throw crazily accurate (i.e. ask him to hit the bulls eye and he will). Has a heap of trophies and a 180 pin in his cabinet.
10:51pm 16/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9909 posts
Im going to set the Board up to these measurements:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/penrith_cue_sports/dartboardsetup.jpg

Maybe we should start up some kind of qgl game of 501 or something
Im prepared to be honest with scores but will video for proof if need be. anyone else keen?

Interesting.
Tough to check everyone was using the standard setups for the board.
Skype-Darts

09:51am 17/02/13 Permalink
oldwolf
Melbourne, Victoria
25 posts
Used to play comp a few years ago, 15 - 20g metal shafts and whatever design on the flights took my eye, had some brilliant black cloth ones, but they kept coming apart, and too much glue made them tail heavy.
12:11pm 17/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9910 posts
Got the Board set up to within a few MMs
Dartboard works fine considering the age.

I read a bit online about getting your stance right and balanced so that when you throw, only your arm moves.
I think Im not gripping the Dart properly or not the same way every throw.

Neighbour gave me some 25g Darts which I think seem a bit heavy.
I think I'll get some 20 and 22s this week.
Apparantly lighter is better for noobs.

06:03pm 17/02/13 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2485 posts
Apparantly lighter is better for noobs.

I dont believe this is the case for everyone. If you throw good from the get go, keeping your original style is imperative. Changing weights means changing throw. Ive never changed weights, and my aim has always been consistent.
12:08am 18/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5700 posts
I hope none of you blokes play like Phil Taylor.

Haha, don't these pro guys emerge from seedy english pubs?
You'd think they'd be more than accustomed to the occasional offensive odor while throwing.
12:25am 18/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9917 posts
Tried some 21g Darts today.
Much better, my aim was a lot better.
$20 Pumas from Rebel Sport.
got some 23s too but didnt use them.

Im gonna be a Darts Champion.
05:26pm 18/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3775 posts
f*** man, i used to smoke 8mg darts, and 16mg a few times

but 21g, man, hard core
05:56pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
2378 posts
My Darts setup, I still suck though and I use 28mg winmau raptors or some s*** like that

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/20130218182655.jpg
07:30pm 18/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9918 posts
Im in an old Queenslander and Ive got it inbetween to close wall beams on the verandah
looks sweet, I got some foam about metre squared and its set in a box.

the metal numbers around the edge has faded badly so Im gonna get a white numbers grille. Board seems fine, its over 20 years old, a Puma.

08:46pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Coldy
Brisbane, Queensland
211 posts
I use 28g Nodor's, so they are 30g with stems and flights. They suite my throwing style alot better than my old Unicorn 22g setup, especially when playing on a NZ Briste Board (firmer, but more weather (humidity) proof).

These are my old Unircorn darts:

http://i.imgur.com/dW6QIov.jpg

This is my current setup:

http://i.imgur.com/iaBo7gE.jpg

As for Dart Boards, the Sisal Bristle Boards are much softer and are better to play on than something like the 'Puma Bandit' that I currently have. You can see that the bristles tend to come out after about 12 months of constant use, especially around the bull and triple 20 where you are aiming regularly.

http://i.imgur.com/kReTIjc.jpg
12:24pm 19/02/13 Permalink
Coldy
Brisbane, Queensland
212 posts
I'm keen for some QGL 501 action if anyones up for it. I consistently throw 501 in between 25 & 35 darts. Nothing like the pro's (9 darters are getting common these days), but can usually hold my own in a room of semi sober players.

Me and mate get together once a week to play @ my place, but I'm keen to head to a pub in Brissy one night to play. Is there any locals with dart boards still up anymore?
04:35pm 19/02/13 Permalink
oldwolf
Melbourne, Victoria
26 posts
I'm keen for some QGL 501 action if anyones up for it. I consistently throw 501 in between 25 & 35 darts. Nothing like the pro's (9 darters are getting common these days), but can usually hold my own in a room of semi sober players.

Me and mate get together once a week to play @ my place, but I'm keen to head to a pub in Brissy one night to play. Is there any locals with dart boards still up anymore?

Hey Coldy, hit up the RSL's they usually have a team or two, and a darts setup somewhere.
06:46pm 19/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9926 posts
Winmau has come up with a new DartBoard numbers layout.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/1/9/1357733769911/A-traditional-dartboard-l-008.jpg

The "optimal" dartboard rearranges the traditional positions of the numbers 1 to 20 to make them as mathematically perfect as possible.

In a standard dartboard, low numbers are placed next to high ones, so as to penalize players who miss their targets. That's why the 20, for example, is next to the 1 and the 5.

Mathematicians have long come up with improved arrangements that maximize the differences between adjacent numbers, in order to penalize mistakes as much as possible.

Now David Percy, Professor of Mathematics at Salford University, has added to the debate by designing a dartboard that adds two more constraints:

1) The numbers go odd-even-odd-even all the way round the board
2) Similar clusters are spread around the board as evenly as possible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/alexs-adventures-in-numberland/2013/jan/09/optimal-dartboard-hits-bullseye

03:38am 22/02/13 Permalink
Coldy
Brisbane, Queensland
214 posts
I understand what they're doing there, but that s**** just confusing. 20 years of playing darts on a normal board, and they go and change it..... no thanks.

Winmau make the best boards though. I am deeply considering the new Blade 4 they make.
12:01pm 22/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6422 posts
I know how difficult it is to read a number. Darts players have it so tough in their sport.
06:40pm 22/02/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9983 posts
Necro'ing ... but darts is 11/10

Also winmau are BDO lackies ... PDC is the way of the future.

And ... the FormulaOne Microband boards you can buy for $70 (@bigW) are all but as good as a blade 4 which in Brisbane (like all things darts) are hardto find... ps. I have both.

Anyways my sad little dart setup at home. The oche is electrical tape.... I know it should be 1.5" high but that is a lot of electrical tape!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YRwcc8UWwU4/UWqMISI3EXI/AAAAAAAAKtY/14aJLOG4QQA/s922/DSC00031.JPG
09:06pm 14/04/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21077 posts
that's a lot of power cords there obes...!!
09:09pm 14/04/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9984 posts
Yeah and that 8 way is plugged in to 2 more 8 ways ... I learnt how to run power at lans .... keep plugging s*** in till a circuit breaker goes off...
09:14pm 14/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21707 posts
the wall around my dartboard saw more dart action than my actual dartboard. Anyone who wants to challenge my rubbishness is welcome to try but you'll find it hard to be as s*** as me.
09:46pm 14/04/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9985 posts
Darts isn't about being awesome.

Play murder, or lows or highs ...

It's actually a fun game.
10:21pm 14/04/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
10108 posts
Round the board till 20 is fun.
10:36pm 14/04/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9986 posts
Until you find a real game maybe ...
11:39pm 14/04/13 Permalink
Coldy
Brisbane, Queensland
219 posts
Low ceiling Obes? Makes your dart board look like its mounted high. Love the Blade4 though, you sure are right in it being a hard thing to get in Brissy though.
09:46am 15/04/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9987 posts
yeah just over 7foot ... The dart board is 100% regulation
05:54pm 15/04/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11029 posts
looking forward to Obes posting a "recommend me an electrician" thread

and a new fake-tile-vinyl guy
06:01pm 15/04/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9988 posts
The fake vinyl tiles were laid in the early 80s according the newspaper under them ... it's a man cave ... rustic shabby dodgy DIY chic is the look I am aiming for.

A 3 tap keg fridge is coming ... with the decent sized cards table and the dart board any hetero bloke is not caring about the rest
06:09pm 15/04/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11030 posts
I don't question the manliness of a guy with a box of duplo (compatible?)
06:18pm 15/04/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9989 posts
It's Lego Quadro, size above Duplo but Duplo and Lego compatible.

Apparently 2 year olds aren't good at darts or real lego.
07:07pm 15/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21708 posts
Darts isn't about being awesome.

Play murder, or lows or highs ...

It's actually a fun game.

I meant that I hit the wall more than I hit the board, my aim is terrible. Also a couple of times I've managed to ping the darts off the metal grille I think because they're just not stuck. That or I've somehow managed to make the darts fly sideways. Haven't actually got a dartboard anymore though.
07:46pm 15/04/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9990 posts
They are called bounce outs, and cheap boards do them all the time... get a microband/blade board and it is all but impossible.

And if you muck around for say 3 weeks playing once a day for 15-20 mins hitting the board is guaranteed. Hell if you really suck learn to throw with a locked wrist/stiff wrist ... eg.
08:14pm 15/04/13 Permalink
Taipan
USA
4068 posts
Played for years highest peg 148. The reason you found it hard to find "real" feathered darts is because they are s***. When you do find some darts you like make sure you stock up on spare part ie stems and flights. Having a sharpener is worth it aswell.

I should added that tungsten darts are the only ones worth a s***.
03:31am 16/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21712 posts
I should added that tungsten darts are the only ones worth a s***.

Time to start melting down some scrap titanium and make my own darts. Then we'll see whose darts are more darty
05:32pm 16/04/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9991 posts
Time to start melting down some scrap titanium and make my own darts. Then we'll see whose darts are more darty

Darts aren't just strength, but also the density.

Tungsten is preferred over silver nickle or brass because of the density. Titanium is stupidly low density.
So if you have iridium or osmium ... go for it! ps. osmium is pretty forking rare and osmium oxide is toxic so playing with the darts might be a bad idea
08:34pm 16/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:34pm 16/04/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.