AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
The Sports Doping Saga
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3877 posts
So what's everyones thoughts on this? I'm yet to see any persons or teams named specifically so it's all a bit vague atm based around conspiracy theories involving organised crime. Here are some tidbits.

A police investigation into sports doping and match-fixing is expected to draw blood in the coming days and weeks. Major sporting codes were thrown into crisis yesterday when an Australian Crime Commission (ACC) investigation found widespread drug use in Australian professional sport, with some athletes being given substances not yet approved for human use.

Source: ABC

EX-NRL and Super League player Adrian Vowles says it would be naive to think Australia's professional football codes are clean from performance enhancing drugs and a significant amount of rugby league players have gone through careers without being caught. Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/drugs-arent-just-limited-to-cycling-20121023-283v5.html#ixzz2KMEj60vu

Victoria Police says the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) report into doping and match-fixing in Australian sport may have only uncovered the "tip of the iceberg".

Source: ABC

Lots of publicity about it, be interesting to see how this pans out. Personally I'm a bit blasé about it until they start naming names and charging people. I guess it all seems a bit unreal atm.
11:41am 09/02/13 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
11:41am 09/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9876 posts
It looked like some kind of Pantomime, could they fit anymore ppl on the stage ?

No names, No clubs, what was it they were doing ?
Seemed to be some kind of 'shake the cupboard and see if anything runs out.'

I noticed a new Investigation Unit has been created.
Was it more about telling Sportstars that they now risk being caught ?

did i hear right ? 40 million wagered on an A League game ?
Im more concerned about the gambling then some pretty low-level doping.
I mean, we arent talking Lance Armstrong style doping.

They claimed to have been gathering evidence for 3 months and then the Titans were mentioned. 3 months ago Prince mysteriously quit the Titans and went to the Broncos, related ?

11:49am 09/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7651 posts
We've been saying for years that drugs are everywhere in footy, rugby, and cricket, but everyones just turned a blind eye to it, and instead only cared about drugs in cycling. AFL would rave on about how they do random drug tests when it worked out that on average a player might get tested once every ten years or something stupidly rare, when elite cyclists would have sometimes 30 tests a year, and more wasn't uncommon (ie, five times a week).

About time other sports were actually investigated.
12:06pm 09/02/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22222 posts
I'd be checking those Maroons players very closely.

It would be so sweet if the team turns out to be full of dopers (omg it totally is) and they have their precious 7 wins revoked.

Muhahahaha, so much NSW bitterness would be reversed 8)
01:19pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35135 posts
yer, shits pretty serious.

its gonna be all over footy :(
01:21pm 09/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3878 posts
I'd be checking those Maroons players very closely.

It would be so sweet if the team turns out to be full of dopers (omg it totally is) and they have their precious 7 wins revoked.

Muhahahaha, so much NSW bitterness would be reversed 8)

more likely is that they'll find NSW players were on performance under enhancing drugs for the past 7 years!
01:53pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7653 posts
Nah, they'll just re-classify steroids and testosterone as "vitamins".
02:09pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21321 posts
i say just let everyone use drugs then there won't be an issue coz everyone will be on them
02:10pm 09/02/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2948 posts
Match fixing is definitely the biggest issue. This could have huge ramifications for our tipping comp.

It's true what Bennet says though, if they are paying an anti-doping agency a bucket of money to find drug cheats then why is there supposedly this big epidemic?
02:18pm 09/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3737 posts
WWE, the cleanest sport on TV
04:08pm 09/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9878 posts
WWE SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND DRUG TESTING POLICY

The "non-medical use" and associated abuse of prescription medications and performance enhancing drugs, as well as the use, possession and/or distribution of illegal drugs, by WWE Talent are unacceptable and prohibited by this Policy, as is the use of masking agents or diuretics taken to conceal or obscure the use of prohibited drugs.

http://corporate.wwe.com/company/abuse_policy.jsp
06:37pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Totenkopf
Melbourne, Victoria
582 posts
Theres no sportsmen on today sports
11:07pm 09/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9879 posts
"We are not going to declare who they are but this is a way of putting the frighteners into them, so they are aware authorities are aware of them." Justice Minister Jason Clare said the commission had also given the names of individuals to NSW and Victorian police.

That is smearing Clubs and Players that are innocent.
Name them or STFU.
12:07pm 10/02/13 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
906 posts
Pre workout strikes again! Ban more! >_<
09:24am 11/02/13 Permalink
Taqtik
Melbourne, Victoria
42 posts
Name and shame them and hand out tough penalties for those doing it.
09:43am 11/02/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13329 posts
Just ban sports. That will fix the problem. That is what our government does isn't? Ban stuff?
09:56am 11/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3891 posts
Interesting interview with former Essendon sports scientist, who also did a stint with Manly.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-11/former-essendon-sports-scientist-describes-afl/4513090
09:47pm 11/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17795 posts
Haha fpot so so bitter
09:57pm 11/02/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36708 posts
Name and shame them and hand out tough penalties for those doing it.
I know right?! Why is this even a topic for conversation? Is this just because of Lance Armstrong or something?

It's fucking cheating, they're fucking cheats, kick them out of the game for some period and make it clear that sort of behaviour is not tolerated, and then everyone shut up about it so we can watch some more sport
10:21pm 11/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35147 posts
It's fucking cheating, they're fucking cheats, kick them out of the game for some period and make it clear that sort of behaviour is not tolerated, and then everyone shut up about it so we can watch some more sport

who are you talking about?

clubs? individuals? if a club gives its players illegal supplements, who does the time?
07:28am 12/02/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36718 posts
http://xkcd.com/1173/ basically XKCD
clubs? individuals? if a club gives its players illegal supplements, who does the time?
If an individual does it of their own accord, then it's the individual

If the club does it... what, like through a coach? How completely utterly stupid would the coach and players have to be? Why would you hesitate to remove the entire team from the competition?

If the drugs are actually illegal, in the sense that possessing them means criminal charges, then everyone associated with them is fucked anyway. If they're just "illegal" in the sense that the rules of the sport says they can't be used, then it's just a boring issue within the scope of that sport and the players just need to be banned for an appropriate amount of time (up to and including forever if they want to take it really seriously, though I think that would probably be excessive).

I don't really get why it's such a big deal. There's either rules or there's not, and people are either following them or they're not. If they're not following them they're breaking the rules and then the rules should say what happens to them. What am I missing?
06:20pm 13/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10764 posts
the players just need to be banned for an appropriate amount of time (up to and including forever

vintage trog!
06:24pm 13/02/13 Permalink
SheerObesity
Melbourne, Victoria
27 posts
I am sick of this whole thing. Am i the only one who thinks these incidents aren't the most concerning thing in the world right thus shouldn't be the main story on every single newspaper and tv news bulletins?

The other day i was watching 7 news "BREAKING NEWS, SPORTS DOCTOR COMMENTS" *proceeds with a 10 minutes piece* "oh and in other news, North Korea conducts a nuclear test and the pope has resigned, BUT BACK TO OUR MAIN STORY OMG"

I don't care about sport.
06:26pm 13/02/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22236 posts
Yeah those nuclear tests have really opened the Door to some serious instability in that region.
06:35pm 13/02/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13335 posts
Australia's just wreathing around the idea that a large portion of Australian Identity could be a lie. Of course it will be on the front page for a while. There will also always be a bit in everyones mind that anyone winning at sport, 'Are they are drug cheat or do they come close?'
06:59pm 13/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35154 posts
I don't really get why it's such a big deal. There's either rules or there's not, and people are either following them or they're not. If they're not following them they're breaking the rules and then the rules should say what happens to them. What am I missing?

what about substances that weren't illegal at the time, but are now!??! (jack3d is a classic example of this) and the fact they they are naming clubs, not individuals says that its probably entire clubs providing whatever to the players to use.

07:45pm 13/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6405 posts
Love the media when they attach themselves to something without know the full facts.

GHRP-6 Isn't illegal. ;)
08:50pm 13/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3899 posts
GHRP-6 Isn't illegal

By law or by sports rules? Two different things.
09:56pm 13/02/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3420 posts
GHRP-6

Thats one of the peptides they sell online 'not for human use' right? Know any 'friends' who have used them?
10:01pm 13/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35159 posts
wow, 150 footy players implicated, they are talking life time bans.
08:18am 14/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9898 posts
Cowboys have been completely cleared.
This is beginning to resemble an ALP passion fingers effort.

They come out smearing the entire code then when asked for names they got no game.
then they name the Cowboys smearing them.
today, no players at all.

Time to sue.

09:40pm 14/02/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36726 posts
what about substances that weren't illegal at the time, but are now!??! (jack3d is a classic example of this)
Doing it retroactively is sort of dumb. If they make caffeine illegal tomorrow it is dumb to make people go to jail because they had coffee yesterday.
and the fact they they are naming clubs, not individuals says that its probably entire clubs providing whatever to the players to use.
it says to me someone is probably making shit up with no real evidence!
10:44pm 14/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9900 posts
well mentioning Bikies reminds me of that halfwit conroy and his russian mafia.

Bikies are often included in claims made by little fish to make them sound like they have powerful links. My bet is this is whats happened here.
12:01am 15/02/13 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
12:01am 15/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks