AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Adding additional LAN ports
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8766 posts
Hey,

I have run out of wired ports on my router.

Can I just plug in a switch to one of the ports on the router to turn one port into 8, using something like the below?

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/8-port-gigabit-asus-gx-d1081-network-switch

Also, can I use a switch at the other end of the network - as in plug an xbox and a media box into a switch in the lounge room and then the one cable runs back to the router? I already have a cable running from router to lounge room but now have two units requiring network goodness (yes media is wireless but can be a bit flaky)

Cheers

Yep, I know fa about network stuff!

10:33am 09/02/13 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
10:33am 09/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3872 posts
Can I just plug in a switch to one of the ports on the router to turn one port into 8, using something like the below?

Yes.

Also, can I use a switch at the other end of the network - as in plug an xbox and a media box into a switch in the lounge room and then the one cable runs back to the router? I already have a cable running from router to lounge room but now have two units requiring network goodness (yes media is wireless but can be a bit flaky)

And yes.
I do this for my Xbox and Wii. I have hardwiring from router to man cave and just bought a cheap 4 port router to expand it.
10:40am 09/02/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3876 posts
I'm doing something similar, switch behind tv for TV/HTPC/NAS. I only have a 5 port so as soon as I connect up another device I am out of ports again.
10:48am 09/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8767 posts
Sounds good peeps, thanks.
11:15am 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21323 posts
I'm doing something similar, switch behind tv for TV/HTPC/NAS. I only have a 5 port so as soon as I connect up another device I am out of ports again.

I've got 10 ports (router + switch), most are full :( It's amazing how fast they fill up with every modern device being internet enabled from TV's and blu ray players to the bloody washing machine (not that my washing machine is).
02:15pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3357 posts
The difference is whoop most people don't bother to plug them into there home network. Only nerds do... :P
09:54pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21329 posts
well I figured anyone posting in this thread would fall into the category of "it has an ethernet port, ima plug that shit in". If my washing machine WAS the internet enabled model I'd be plugging that shit in for sure. I'm not sure what you can do with it but I don't care, my fucking washing machine would be on the internet.

For anyone wondering where I get this washing machine bidness from: Allshare Control
10:13pm 09/02/13 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
10:13pm 09/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks