We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
issue with work done at my place
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3844 posts
Hi guys, long story long, I've had a "pool fence style" double gate installed at my place by a mob [name removed]. Initially I wasn't happy as the gate was supposed to open "inwards" rather than "outwards" but I mis-read their sketch which I had approved. They pointed out to my error and I said that's fine, I've f***ed up and I'll pay to rectify it, no issues. So otherwise everything looked sweet and I paid them for the work and I was waiting for a second quote to make the gate open "inwards". In the meantime, upon closer inspection I noticed that the welds are f*****g atrocious in comparison to the existing fencing/gate done by "others" (and by my own standards). They looked like something that was done by someone who's never welded before. I told him I wasn't happy about it and he said that in 8 years he's never had a complaint and that I'm disgraceful for doing so and he hung up on me. I've tried to resolve the matter in an amicable manner but again hung up on me.

All I expected him to do was when the gate went back for rework, to simply get a grinder and smooth out all the bad looking welds, doesn't take long and it's not a big f*****g deal.

At this point I'm quite furious about it and I realise he's not going to make that gate swing the other way (I don't want him to) but at least I want the c*** to fix the welds or pay to have it done by someone else or by me, whatever. Anything I can do?

[name of company removed; doesn't seem to add anything]
07:25pm 08/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:25pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13463 posts
Did you pay for the whole job up front or something?
07:40pm 08/02/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3873 posts
Needs pictures of the welding.
07:41pm 08/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9869 posts
Guy next door waited 6 months for his pool fencing to be finished, ended up with legal letters and s***.

really, just do it yourself.
It aint worth the bother.
am i bothered ?
do i look bothered ?
am i bothered ?
bothered ? me ?

I suppose you googled the builder first to see if he was good quality ?
No ?
two lessons learnt.

07:54pm 08/02/13 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4541 posts
How bad could the welds really look if you had looked the job over and paid for it? Ask yourself if it will matter in 12 months. If the answer is no, move on. Life is too short. If the answer is yes, then take your complaint to the BSA. Just be sure that the issue is a real one and its not you who is being a c***. (I'm not saying you are BTW)
07:58pm 08/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3869 posts
08:01pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21314 posts
How bad could the welds really look if you had looked the job over and paid for it? Ask yourself if it will matter in 12 months. If the answer is no, move on. Life is too short. If the answer is yes, then take your complaint to the BSA. Just be sure that the issue is a real one and its not you who is being a c***. (I'm not saying you are BTW)

This.

Also need pics of welds, there's s***** welds and then there's s***** welds. Is the fence powder coated?
08:10pm 08/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19499 posts
take him to QCAT
08:13pm 08/02/13 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4542 posts
Mort. Its not a Fair trading issue bud. If there is a true problem with job, the governing authority is the BSA. I've just checked the builder s history and he has no recorded issues in any category.
08:17pm 08/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17786 posts
take him to QCAT

that is pretty much your only choice, unless it is worth lawyering up and suing proper but i doubt it is

as ET though, are the welds actually that bad? do you honestly think the fence is going to fall apart because of the weld because they aren't real neat or something?
08:20pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21315 posts
I've just checked the builder s history and he has no recorded issues in any category.
The builders themselves might not, their website designer must have a tonne of complaints though. Their website is s***. Tiny little column in the middle of the page, individual scroll bars for each item? Welcome to geocities, circa1990.
that is pretty much your only choice, unless it is worth lawyering up and suing proper but i doubt it isas ET though, are the welds actually that bad? do you honestly think the fence is going to fall apart because of the weld because they aren't real neat or something?
I have a pool fence as my front fence, welds are all chunky looking but it's plenty strong enough. Only thing I've had break is the plastic hinge when some drunk c***face teenagers ripped the gate off & threw it in the middle of the road.
08:24pm 08/02/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2945 posts
To be honest you sound like you are trying to weasel out of paying, that might not be what you intend but you are showing the classic symptoms. You made an issue out of something that wasn't the contractors fault with the gate, they had to point out it was on the plans for you to accept that. Once you did accept that though you turned around and found something innocuous to then take exception to.

The first could have been an honest misunderstanding but the second time would definitely raise a flag for any contractor and perhaps this one has been bitten enough before that he has already decided that you plan to screw him over.
08:39pm 08/02/13 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
568 posts
Post pics of Welding
08:44pm 08/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3845 posts
I paid a deposit up front to get the ball rolling, paid the rest after job was done. Mind you they were very pushy for payment, and even sounded annoyed that I didn't pay on the day that it was done (I was at work and didn't see the fence till the evening after I got home).

The welding is structurally sound but looks ugly and is of very poor quality. I'm actually surprised they let the gates go for powder coating as they are, a simple quick touch up with the grinder would have it sorted. These sort of jobs are meant to look good, that's the point but the welding when standing close looks s***. I'll take pics in the morning. Maybe I don't have a case at all, just upset at the quality.

I suppose you googled the builder first to see if he was good quality ?
No ?
two lessons learnt.

google was how I found them, and what was the first lesson?
11:57pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21317 posts
who stands a foot from their fence at all times though? you honestly sound like the type of person who would buy a car, drive it for a week then go back and b**** that the brake callipers aren't red enough.
12:02am 09/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9872 posts
always check the Job thoroughly before you sign off.

12:05am 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21318 posts
12:34am 09/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3847 posts
the second one but not as bad as that. Like I said, I'm comparing this gate to the existing one.
12:41am 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21319 posts
I dunno, from the fuss you're making are you SURE it's not as bad as the s***** black grate?

Or is the issue that gate X welded by company A doesn't exactly match gate Y welded by company B (and the boogey woogey bugle boy) and the welds are actually quite acceptable.
12:58am 09/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35133 posts
martz has always been a bit of an uptight spanker. im sure the welding is fine.
07:47am 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21320 posts
still waiting for pics, must be lying
02:07pm 09/02/13 Permalink
BlueWolf
Brisbane, Queensland
61 posts
Imagine people having a life on a weekend away from the keyboard...
03:02pm 09/02/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3795 posts
He said tomorrow morning, it is no longer morning. Not meeting a very loose self given deadline doesn't bode well.
03:14pm 09/02/13 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
569 posts
1st pic are standard tabbing welds... Second pic well, they are dirty welds, maybe too much stick used. But it could be worse. It could have burn holes all over it.
03:53pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21324 posts
bohemion: those are mine, not his. he refuses to post pics so I just posted them as extremes to get an idea of how bad his are.
04:02pm 09/02/13 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
570 posts
oic!
04:31pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1941 posts
From the sounds of it they've left what you call dogs*** on the welds. If you are a fencer who makes his living doing this over a period of at least 8 years(?), you shouldn't be leaving that s*** on the welds..
Having said that, unless you were pretty specific on the actual "finish" of the welding I really can't see how you can get him.
Just grab a 5" with a wire brush and take the crap off the top, welds will come up sweet and will take you maybe 40 minutes if your unlucky..
09:02pm 09/02/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5712 posts
F*****g hell whoop that's some f*****g s***** welds you got there
09:04pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21326 posts
it's a grate in a driveway herbal, who gives a s*** what it looks like? long as it holds my car I don't care. This isn't about me anyway.

From the sounds of it they've left what you call dogs*** on the welds. If you are a fencer who makes his living doing this over a period of at least 8 years(?), you shouldn't be leaving that s*** on the welds..Having said that, unless you were pretty specific on the actual "finish" of the welding I really can't see how you can get him. Just grab a 5" with a wire brush and take the crap off the top, welds will come up sweet and will take you maybe 40 minutes if your unlucky..
unless his fence is powder coated in which case he's going to rub off the powder coat and be left with an even worse finish.

In any case, this is all just heresay without him actually manning up and posting pictures like he said he would.
09:11pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1942 posts
touch up paint costs what?

like I said, It's f***ed that someone doing this for such a time would leave them in a state such as, but it's really not that bad, please.

I agree but, post pics or spook is right.
09:28pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5679 posts
maRtz will surely deliver

09:40pm 09/02/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3877 posts
Pictures to be shown at the next QGL Lan.
10:14pm 09/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3848 posts
10:41pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1943 posts
Yeah that is pretty s*** and the drilled hole is definitely a massive wtf. By looking at it the welds on the poles are also pretty far from structurally sound. That's a lot more than just unclean welding. I'm out, good luck with that :(
10:46pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1512 posts
I told him I wasn't happy about it and he said that in 8 years he's never had a complaint and that I'm disgraceful for doing so and he hung up on me.

He knows he has done a s*** job and is trying to guilt you in to accepting it. "disrespecting" his work and all that bulls***. Ha!
10:57pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21330 posts
LIAR! You said it didn't look as bad as the s***** grate I posted. It does so look as bad.
Ok so after 8 years of experience

Just because the company has been making them for 8 years, doesn't mean whoever welded them has been there that long. Could have been an apprentice or something.
10:58pm 09/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3849 posts
LIAR! You said it didn't look as bad as the s***** grate I posted. It does so look as bad.Just because the company has been making them for 8 years, doesn't mean whoever welded them has been there that long. Could have been an apprentice or something.

I know that, just being a prick :)

He's got a little workshop (have to check website for address) where I assume he's got some noob apprentice or the like and he goes out and does all the quoting and installations.
11:01pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21331 posts
What's it made of anyway? Steel? Aluminium? Unobtainium?

What's everyones verdict on the welds? Stick welder? Gasless MIG?
11:02pm 09/02/13 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
572 posts
Apart from the last two pictures.... WOW WHAT A S***E JOB! Who cares what type of welder used... old mate best stop taking acid before welding agian.
11:28pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5680 posts
Give the guy a break, welding fences is just his side gig. The dude works on pipelines at his day job.

11:59pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21336 posts
He's not welding that, he's cutting it (and sitting on the wrong side lol)

I wish I had this guys balls / skillz
Welding on a live line can be kind of stressful to say the least! We had an evacuation plan in effect should we burn through the pipe and gas was released. Fortunately everything went as it should! H2S is one of the most lethal gasses known to man and should you encounter it even in low concentrations it can kill within seconds. The British used it as a chemical weapon during WW1.
12:18am 10/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3850 posts
heh check this one out:

12:26am 10/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21338 posts
arm is on fire? not a f*** was given
12:54am 10/02/13 Permalink
scooby
Brisbane, Queensland
4528 posts
man get real, you paid for a fence that meets the aust. standards for pool fencing, he gave you that - its not supposed to be a work of art... way to be a d******* customer
01:47am 10/02/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13215 posts
wanting a decent job not a s*** one, isn't being a d******* customer imo
02:13am 10/02/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
533 posts
man get real, you paid for a fence that meets the aust. standards for pool fencing, he gave you that - its not supposed to be a work of art... way to be a d******* customer

I hope the next time you get food, it's "barely meeting australian standards".

I'd bet you'd complain just as much or worse.
02:23am 10/02/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7181 posts
rofl
technically this piece of s*** meets the absolute legal minimum so pay me or you're a d*******

rousing endorsement for your business there scooby
02:58am 10/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21339 posts
wanting a decent job not a s*** one, isn't being a d******* customer imo

I'm half with you, half with scooby. Yeah they could have done a better job on it and probably should have but it' just a fence, not some art piece destined for a museum. How close would you have to even stand to see those s***** welds? How many people are going to sit there a foot from the fence & go hmm this fence looks dodgy.

I hope the next time you get food, it's "barely meeting australian standards".

Totally different. Both the good looking fence and the crap looking one have the same types of welds, just one looks more pretty than the other. What you're saying would be more like getting a sandwich and one looks better than the other, even though they both taste exactly the same and are both safe to eat.

e: as for that hole, sometimes the coaters will drill holes to hang things. It might not have been put there by whoever made it.
03:37am 10/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35137 posts
martz will never get on better homes and gardens with a pool fence like that.
07:30am 10/02/13 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6269 posts
yeah he's trying to bluff you dude.

dob the c*** into www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/ or some other body.
08:32am 10/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3738 posts
there is a slap dah job, then there is a s**** job, and this is somewhere in between

the old saying "you get what you pay for" might be the deciding factor,

if you have paid for a low cost job, or the cheapest quote you got. then the only thing I would be hitting him up for is the drill hole in the powder coating, (my guess is that it is a drain hole but imo it should be bear metal)

now if you have paid alot of money (compared to say other quotes for the same job) then yes, go after the dude, it isn't of a high standard
08:53am 10/02/13 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
891 posts
Those welds are feral! Looks like an incorrecly setup mig run by a less than useful operator who moved too quickly. The welder is too cold hence the lack of smooth contour and the globular appearence. I'd go off too, makes the entire thing look tacky. As for the holes, when you hot dip gal something they are necessary to stop the tube exploding, don't know much about powder coating though! : )
09:19am 10/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3739 posts
pretty sure one powder coats AFTER a hot dip gal
09:50am 10/02/13 Permalink
scooby
Brisbane, Queensland
4529 posts
yea theres another question, was this fella the cheapest quote you got? if so, shut up.

if you paid more than the cheapest quote you got in choosing this guy in the hope for a higher quality of fence artwork, then i guess you have an argument and you can explain this to him.

yea i do have the same attitude to my AC business, its not supposed to be a f*****g da Vinci art piece, my prices are cheap, it will cool your room and it comes with warranty now pay me and shut up have a nice day
09:59am 10/02/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1307 posts
yea theres another question, was this fella the cheapest quote you got? if so, shut up.
This just isn't right at all.
Most tradies do a f*****g terrible job regardless of price so why pay more.
(That's not pointed at you)

Last decent tradie I had (who was cheapest) went on to get nearly $20k worth of other jobs from relatives alone, some of which I know passed on to friends.

Doing a s***** job just shows you don't care about doing a good one. Nobody will recommend someone doing a s***** job.
Pretty sure most businesses don't do well or turn multi-million or billion dollar companies by starting off doing s***** work, it may slide after it becomes so successful though. But it has the capacity to afford to be able to.

If you just want a mediocre business, do a mediocre job.
10:06am 10/02/13 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
179 posts
yea i do have the same attitude to my AC business, its not supposed to be a f*****g da Vinci art piece, it will cool your room and it comes with warranty now pay me and shut up

It's quite a challenge to find people who have pride in their work.
10:13am 10/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9880 posts
Having once done two weeks of Welding with Stick and MIG, in my expert opinion, it appears to be a mix of both. Thats some pretty ordinary welds done in a hurry but Ive seen far worse.

12:52pm 10/02/13 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6614 posts
I can weld better than that and I'm awful at it.
01:07pm 10/02/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7182 posts
aside from looking like michael j fox did it, some of them look to have barely penetrated and would be weak as s***.

The attitude that there are only two possible outcomes for a job you've paid for; work of art or barely functional c*** act, speaks volumes about you.
01:53pm 10/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19502 posts
Pretty s***house attitude if you ask me. The guy deserves to go broke.

And also: I know it doesn't help you now, but ALWAYS leave money swinging on a job. It's the only way you will ever get a tradesman back. After they have been paid they won't want to know you.
02:10pm 10/02/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3878 posts
Pretty terrible welds. I wouldn't expect a work of art but at least a consistent seam would be nice.
02:22pm 10/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6358 posts
I can weld better than that and I'm awful at it.

In highschool during shop, if someone did that they'd have to start again. I can't even begin to imagine how a grown adult can weld worse than a year 10 kid.
03:37pm 10/02/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7183 posts
admittedly welding aluminium pipe is a tad harder than plate steel but srsly. the slag everywhere and welds that don't penetrate are pretty indicative of not knowing what the f***.
03:55pm 10/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3740 posts
admittedly welding aluminium pipe is a tad harder than plate steel but srsly. the slag everywhere and welds that don't penetrate are pretty indicative of not knowing what the f***.

not caring looks like not knowing sometimes
04:07pm 10/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3851 posts
The drilled holes are fresh (done after powder coating). This work was quite expensive, over $800, I thought I was getting quality by paying more.

On Friday I had an AC installed, I got 3 quotes, 2 of them were around the $2600 mark and the other one was around $2058 or something like. I said f*** it, get the cheapest one (if I pay top dollar and get a s*** gate, then I'll go cheap this time). I was a bit nervous but when I got home and inspected the job, I couldn't be happier and was really impressed with the quality of work and customer service. Actually in addition to this, the installer called me and suggested a better way of installing it than I had asked them to, it took them longer but no additional cost. Was pleasantly surprised they went that extra mile and they were the cheapest!!

So with my aircon experience, I have to disagree with this.

oh and the latest!! 2 of the welds are cracked!! (hard to take photo's of):

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joekool1983/crack3.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joekool1983/crack4.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joekool1983/crack1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joekool1983/crack2.jpg
04:39pm 10/02/13 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
573 posts
It looks like an incorrect stick type or liner feed to quick at Max Amp. Hence the spag everywhere and the big blobs of uncontrolled weld.
04:47pm 10/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21340 posts
Call whoever is in charge of pool fencing? Council? Tell them this is what he did, he'd probably be more encouraged to fix it if he had a federal body crawling up his ass.
It looks like an incorrect stick type or liner feed to quick at Max Amp

That's why I asked what type of welder was used. Any numpty can weld with a MIG so long as it's set up correctly. I doubt they'd use stick, having to keep on putting in new sticks would = waste of time = loss of money.

Reminds me of what happens at work. Other guy there comes to use the MIG and either blows holes in s***, or gets welds like that (which he then has to fix lololololo) because I've changed the settings and he's forgotten to check.
05:36pm 10/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6399 posts
That welding is feral!!!
05:45pm 10/02/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7184 posts
:( of course it's cracking off
most of those welds looked as useful as a blob of blutac. actually less, because the blutac would still sort of hold the pipe in place.
07:35pm 10/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3852 posts
I checked the BSA website, they don't want to know about it unless the job is worth over $3300. QCAT website says to go to BSA. What can I do now?
09:50pm 10/02/13 Permalink
scooby
Brisbane, Queensland
4530 posts
ok fair nuff, those welds are pretty bad
09:54pm 10/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21350 posts
Maybe try a pool safety inspector : http://www.aegissafe.com.au/pool-inspections/ found it on google. Get them to give you a certificate saying the welds are unreliable and the fence must be remade or something & then go to this guy's workshop in person so he can't just hang up on you. Either take a friend as a witness or record the conversation (and notify him you're recording it).

What about taking him to court? Do that.
10:12pm 10/02/13 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1241 posts
Just showed the photos to someone who works for a large fencing company... was told those welds are utter rubbish and would not be acceptable at their company.
10:18pm 10/02/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1855 posts
Welds look s*** and I rarely look a welds!

Also mental note, never buy from Scooby's business!
05:34am 11/02/13 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4481 posts
lol at getting the cheaper A/C job. It may look good to you but I bet you there's things that haven't been done properly. My mate see's it all the time, sure another mob has quoted $300 less, but they've left s*** out etc.
09:26am 11/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3853 posts
Thanks Protius, I'll let you know when something goes wrong (if it does). Just because I went with a cheaper quote doesn't necessarily mean that they did a s*** job. Maybe that's just their price for doing the work, or maybe they are quiet and desperate for work.

I used your mentality and went with the most expensive quote for the gate and look how it ended up for me.
10:53am 11/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3854 posts
also gate is not for pool, it's to keep the kids out of my gym lolz. Don't want them hurting themselves.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joekool1983/WP_20130210_022.jpg
01:33pm 11/02/13 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4484 posts
How many hours did it take to install? $800, even for a small fence, that is made to match seems cheap to me? What were your other quotes?
05:46pm 11/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3855 posts
other was 700 or something. No idea how long it took to install, I wasn't there and I think my missus was out of the house most of the day anyway. The fence wasn't really "made to match" it's a pretty standard fence design. This is all beside the point though.
06:24pm 11/02/13 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
775 posts
Looks like its held with blutack and painted over thats why its now cracked and coming off
07:06pm 11/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21355 posts
also gate is not for pool,
Sorry, looks like a pool fence / thought I saw a pool. In that case I guess your only option is to take as many photos of their gate and the other fence / gate and take them to small claims court.
07:50pm 11/02/13 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13905 posts
Did you pay for the whole job up front or something?

I always pay up-front and give the tradie a "you don't know what I'm capable of" vibe.

Combination seems to work pretty well if you can manage it.
08:12pm 11/02/13 Permalink
joerocket10r
Brisbane, Queensland
72 posts
man they are some s*** welds. i wouldn't accept that work either. assuming he used electrodes for this either he got the apprentice to weld it and it was his first day and never welded before or he was using a mig with the wrong gas or has a leak or something.
as you can see from the corner weld the weld pool looks like he started sort of ok but just f***ed it up half way through. like the existing welds on your other fence it should be consistent along the whole weld and anyone telling you different is full of it.
08:12pm 11/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3856 posts
so if I go to small claims, I have to get a few quotes to fix the 2 cracked welds and re-powder coat?? The other welds are atrocious but not sure if I can claim the repair of those too? I could say that I'm worried about them cracking in the future which I am concerned about.
11:29pm 11/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9886 posts
Man, just let it go.
You are digging a big hole in the misery mine.

11:51pm 11/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3857 posts
I want to but this is exactly what he wants, for me to just let it go. Plus I feel really cheated and treated like s***.

I spoke to him again this morning after I sent him photo's of the cracked welds and he said they weren't like that after welding and coating and that the welds are done to Australian standards. If it was to Aus Standards I would have to smack the tube really hard with a hammer or pull the tube so hard it would bend to make the weld crack.
11:47am 12/02/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36712 posts
martz, I came across these guys yesterday: http://www.handlemycomplaint.com.au/ . They might be worth getting in touch with to handle the heavy lifting?
11:52am 12/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3584 posts
if you want it reversed, can't you just unbolt the posts from the wall and turn the whole thing 180?
12:44pm 12/02/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3881 posts
I spoke to him again this morning after I sent him photo's of the cracked welds and he said they weren't like that after welding and coating and that the welds are done to Australian standards. If it was to Aus Standards I would have to smack the tube really hard with a hammer or pull the tube so hard it would bend to make the weld crack.

Even if it is to Australian standards, whatever that means, I would think that a gate that falls apart is not fit for purpose.
01:16pm 12/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5685 posts
he said they weren't like that after welding and coating and that the welds are done to Australian standards.

Yeah I get it - you've come along later, done a bodgy welding job over the top of his awesome welding job, then done a second powder coat yourself just so you could complain? Sounds legit.
01:26pm 12/02/13 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
9116 posts
luls noobs paying before the work is done

I work with tradies all the time and there is no way id be paying the entire amount up front.

There are some dodgy mother f*****s around
01:40pm 12/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21359 posts
TAKE HIM TO COURT ALREADY
Lawyer up good.
06:58pm 12/02/13 Permalink
BlueWolf
Brisbane, Queensland
62 posts
Good luck martz, my partner is a lawyer and I showed her for giggles.

This kind of stuff is the kind of thing most people let go, and that is what the a******* want. They do a sub-par job and then blame you for their failings to scare/bully you into leaving it alone.

Unfortunately they are the least rewarding when it comes to getting it fixed, if you take legal action you at best will get the cost to fix it, or have him fix it. Either way you'll be out the time/money for the legal costs.

My opinion is go after them, but that's because I dislike s***house halfass jobs.

Also I'd never use scooby for A/C, he sounds like a tosser whose let a couple a****** customers get to him. Assuming that he even does a decent job in the first place. You get what you pay for is a stupid saying, reputation is more helpful, but even that isn't perfect =( So hard to get good work done sometimes.
07:32pm 12/02/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1858 posts
Proper court and legal is a ball ache and expensive, especially small claims court. If you can get it sorted through a trade regulatory body or someone like Trog's 'handle my complaints' I reckon that'd be ideal.
10:47pm 12/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3859 posts
Hey bluewolf, does your missus wanna rep me? :)
10:50pm 12/02/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7198 posts
or you could go the bats*** crazy teq route and create an entire website defaming them
11:01pm 12/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:01pm 12/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.