We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Petition for Oracle to stop bundling Ask toolbar with Java
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10743 posts
I was just reading this article: Java block backfires on Apple. In one of the comments someone mentioned the Ask.com toolbar, a topic which has caused me to fantasise about evil plots against Oracle.
There is a petition about it: https://www.change.org/petitions/oracle-corporation-stop-bundling-ask-toolbar-with-the-java-installer
It's pretty cheeky that they include this crap along with every update, and those updates are quite frequent. Nobody wants a stupid toolbar. If you don't opt-out during the upgrade, the toolbar program takes certain measures to stop you from uninstalling it immediately afterwards.
09:13am 07/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:13am 07/02/13 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15592 posts
Just f*** off Java and Flash already
09:38am 07/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1196 posts
Just f*** off Java and Flash already

I can't help but feel this fuzzy teenage connection to flash though!

stickdeath etc
09:55am 07/02/13 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15593 posts
I can't help but feel this fuzzy teenage connection to flash though!
RIP newgrounds
10:36am 07/02/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7890 posts
And the buffy swearing keyboard
12:09pm 07/02/13 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
4439 posts
I read an article a few weeks ago about all the dodgy as f*** stuff Oracle was doing with Java/Ask. I'm at work so I don't have the history for the link though :(
12:12pm 07/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9857 posts
They often pop up on little helper program installs.
Some programs ask you to install Chrome too.
Yahoo Toolbar has been on some programs too.

They do it sneakily too by presenting with you those boring install boxes that you would usually just click yes to just to hurry the installation.
The default should always be to not install.
12:39pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7648 posts
Not only have they been doing this annoying s*** with Ask, but now when you install a new version of Java 7, it uninstalls Java 5/6!
12:40pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5669 posts
I must say, Oracle's doing a great job of grinding the Java ecosystem into the dirt.
12:56pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11816 posts

Not only have they been doing this annoying s*** with Ask, but now when you install a new version of Java 7, it uninstalls Java 5/6!
Trying to close security loopholes I'm sure. I swear Java developers must be the laziest s**** on the planet. At work we're forever having to work around their app that relies on some f*** old version of Java...
04:34pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21309 posts
Nobody wants a stupid toolbar. If you don't opt-out during the upgrade, the toolbar program takes certain measures to stop you from uninstalling it immediately afterwards.
I was randomly browsing through my temp directory and other random directories one day & found some log files containing temp data to be executed should I opt-in. The amount of s*** the ask toolbar does to your browser is incredible. All the registry settings it changes & f**** with.
07:08pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7649 posts
Trying to close security loopholes I'm sure. I swear Java developers must be the laziest s**** on the planet. At work we're forever having to work around their app that relies on some f*** old version of Java...
How the f*** does anything you've said here have either anything to do with Java devs being lazy?

Oracle trying to kill off old versions of the JVM because of a security flaw *thats only present in the browser-based plugins ffs* - now that's lazy.
How about teach people not to click 'accept' on every f*****g retarded thing that comes up which they don't know what it does?
07:20pm 07/02/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10509 posts
someone sounds like a java dev...
07:27pm 07/02/13 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8144 posts
Just ban tool bars and be done with it altogether.
07:30pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9932 posts
F*** both Java and Flash
07:34pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13899 posts
Yeah Java bundling Ask! Toolbar is the lowest of the low. Oracle are scum.
10:41pm 07/02/13 Permalink
SheerObesity
Melbourne, Victoria
24 posts
Flash constantly crashes and freezes my firefox and im not the only one =\
10:44pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21313 posts
Why are people only b****ing about oracle doing it? Heaps of people do it, especially those who offer free software.
Flash constantly crashes and freezes my firefox and im not the only one =\

Massive youtube threads make my chrome cry like a little girl
10:46pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13457 posts
Because Oracle is a pretty big company. Its like having to untick Ask! to install .net 3.5 sp1
11:00pm 07/02/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
895 posts
Java is too big to fail.

http://cloudpanic.com/java.html
10:45am 08/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:45am 08/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.