Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
Great Doco - Bones Brigade : An Autobiography
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1906 posts
Watched a great doco recently about the origins of skateboarding culture, which all stemmed from one bunch of kids in a skateboard team in the 80's called "The Bones Brigade". I knew of their history before, but this doco really shows just how much they influenced pretty much every single aspect of skateboarding today.

I highly recommend it, even if you don't like skateboarding :)

10:41am 06/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:41am 06/02/13 Permalink
Snakeman
Queensland
868 posts
This was such a good doco. They really got emotional towards the end talking about how it all came apart.
10:49am 06/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2263 posts
+1

Also check out "Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator" for a darker side to the death of vert in the early 90s and "Waiting for Lightning", a doco on Danny Way, his legacy, his battles with injury and his mission to jump the Great Wall of China.
10:49am 06/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2264 posts
Oh and if you're interested in seeing the latest skate vid worth a mention it's pretty tough to go past "Pretty Sweet", a Chocolate/Girl collab.
10:50am 06/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35113 posts
bones brigade, where tony hawk began!

i used to be all over these guys when i was skating.

will watch!
10:55am 06/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2265 posts
Stoked trailer:

Waiting for Lightning:

The Man Who Souled the World:

10:56am 06/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2266 posts
Pretty Sweet:
10:57am 06/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8760 posts
Did they ever find Animal Chin?
11:25am 06/02/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1934 posts
Yeah Pretty Sweet is the best skate vid I have seen in years.
Keen to see Waiting for Lightning, but is there much skating in it or more Interviews and such?
DGK are in the middle of filming a new vid atm that sounds pretty cool, they've been going to some really peculiar spots to film.
12:54pm 06/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2267 posts
Keen to see Waiting for Lightning, but is there much skating in it or more Interviews and such?

It's mostly interviews but def worth watching as it shows just how much of a badass D. Way is and what pushed him to end up building the 1st Megaramp and taking skating to a ridiculous level.

I was a bit put off when it first started cos I thought it was going to focus mainly on the Great Wall jump but it covers a fair bit more than that. I've never been that into very skating myself but it gave me a new found respect for what Danny has achieved and who he is as a person.
01:48pm 06/02/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7165 posts
Bones Brigade was so unreal, thanks for the recommend.
I don't think I've ever seen Rodney Mullen interviewed before. Wow! What an incredibly fascinating dude. I think that dust must be sweeping across Brisbane, vege.
04:25pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35117 posts
awesome thrad bros

i have a heap of skate boarding flix to watch

(couldnt see the yuotubes at work, just watched them then, was getting goose bumps)
08:18pm 06/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2268 posts
I've never been that into very skating myself

err correction, I meant "vert" skating.
Still into skating to this day, just slower and older and fatter. And not the good kind of fatter.
10:43pm 06/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2269 posts
While I'm here check out the youtube doco on Natas as well...actually just check out the "Skating" playlist on my Youtube channel to save me linking a bunch of s***...

YourMumsCuddly - youtoob
10:46pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21304 posts
With a name like bones brigade I was expecting it to be about people who find decomposed bodies & figure out who murdered them.

I leave disappointed.
10:49pm 06/02/13 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2473 posts
I mentioned this in the good movies thread. Glad to see it has its own well deserved thread :)
10:50pm 06/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2270 posts
With a name like bones brigade I was expecting it to be about people who find decomposed bodies & figure out who murdered them.

Should watch the Gator doco then...
11:05pm 06/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9871 posts

as a kid, this video had me hooked in the first 60 seconds that I saw it... and changed the way I looked at a lot of things from that day on.

I made my first skateboard out of some offcut piece of particle board that Dad had under house, cut up and bolted on the plates from one of my little bro's rollerskates and had me a board.

Mum was good enough to buy my older brother and I a dodgy-ass 'fishtail' skateboard from KMart the following XMas.

The one thing I loved about growing up in Mt Gravatt in the 80s was the hills.. so many nice runs :)

The stack @ 3:42 was one I watched over and over again. S*** hurts - then you get up and do it better next time
12:41am 07/02/13 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8759 posts
Awesome documentary, watched it yesterday.

I was completely unaware of the history of most of them, the first time I heard of Tony Hawk, I was playing the PS game. Never heard Rodney Mullen talk before, only seen his videos... definitely the most interesting guy of the lot.

Does anyone still skate? Is there any recommended store I should check out if I wanted to pick up a board? I need something technical that I can do locally.
03:37pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35123 posts
i have a board and am teaching spookr jnr to skate, but no, i dont skate anymore :(
04:56pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1939 posts
I still skate regularly, unfortunately I know of nothing in QLD however my local has an online shop going.

http://deckedout.com.au/, bit of an ass grabbing decks trucks etc online however :(
05:30pm 08/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5750 posts
Im in the middle of trying to skate, again. Last time I tried it I had grand hopes and plans but no motivation. I wish I could find a skater group and skate with them but a lot of them seem to be loners. I always felt like going to the local skate park but it was always filled with scooter kids. Here in Darwin it's fairly empty so I've been meaning to get back into it. No board but I do have decent trucks and wheels.

CHUB, if you want my advice buy a cruiser board and see how you go. If you really like it then think about buying a trick board. You don't have to buy a massive cruiser but something with big wheels. Also, it's hard. everything. Even a simple ollie or pushing is difficult. I think there's a steep learning curve but that only lasts for a limited time.
05:47pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
773 posts
Haven't skated in around 10years (damn makes me feel old just figuring that out.) Me and some mates would skate all day every day and the locals got pissed and set up a meeting with our local council so they could make us a park to our requirements and let us design it. Needless to say they f***ed it all up and went with some cheap arse contractor who gave a s***** park.

These vids bring back the memories tho. Also wanna get a copy of King of Skate where they had the massive ramp that broke the distance and height records.
06:00pm 08/02/13 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8761 posts
CHUB, if you want my advice buy a cruiser board and see how you go. If you really like it then think about buying a trick board. You don't have to buy a massive cruiser but something with big wheels. Also, it's hard. everything. Even a simple ollie or pushing is difficult. I think there's a steep learning curve but that only lasts for a limited time.
I did skate a TINY bit when I was around 10. I could ollie fine and was progressing nicely on kick flips.

It was always on my older brothers boards though and I didn't have any true interest. So I never really watched any videos, learnt about the equipment/brands or learnt mechanical skills. I had no skater friends or ventured anywhere besides the pavement outside the kitchen door (literally).

So I know what road I want to go down. I was hoping there was a "holy-grail" type skate store/brand like many industries have that would save me doing research and getting burnt.

Bummer you're in Darwin. I'm hoping the Redcliffe skatepark has cleaned up since I was a kid, that place was always a cesspool.
06:40pm 08/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9873 posts
Does anyone still skate?

not in awhile now, though I do still tack around my garage on occasion when I'm frustrated over something... I did the same as a kid. I always thought I'd have a 5' ramp in my backyard when 'I grew up' that I'd teach my kids to use.

they'd sooner play with their dollies and sit at the computer :/

I do have hope for my 2nd born however. She seems to be very keen on my beloved board.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3061/skateboards.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
10:49pm 08/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:49pm 08/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.