We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
House broken into in Annerley
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
1085 posts
A warning to all of you out there, prepare for the worse when it comes to your house items.

Take pics of everything important and take pics of serial numbers.

Our house was robbed Monday during the day. I know there is zero chance of the stuff coming back, even with serial numbers but better to have them than not.

If you arte interested, they took my nice ASUS laptop, 2 iPads, Black MotionPlus Wii (and a heap of controllers), 2 cameras, iPod sound dock, a mobile, all of girlfriends jewellery, cash and some other misc things.

Grabbed ladder from under house and climbed in through back bathroom window they were able to open (only has a simple latch). Plus to put some better locks on those windows on weekend.

It's a s***** feeling knowing someone has been in your house. And not knowing for sure you've remembered exactly what was taken.

For girlfriend, losing her lifetime of jewellery is the worst part. Can't replace those pieces and the sentimental value.

For me, the laptop was the worse part. Losing some recent photos that i had not backed up yet. Did a backup of photos and documents back in October and luckily i probably have not added many documents since. And some of the photos lost were uploaded to Facebook. But still, not knowing whats lost is s***.

So anyways, just be aware that if someone wants to, they can get into your house i am sure. Keep gates closes and locked when you can, shut/lock windows whenever you go out and do regular offsite backups of all documents/photos (also good incase of fire or something).

Hope this does not happen to anyone else.
10:12am 06/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:12am 06/02/13 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15590 posts
Lame :(
10:21am 06/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35112 posts
sux bro.

annerley is an awesome place to live, but still has loads of dodgy peeps around :(
10:22am 06/02/13 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
21227 posts
That sucks dude. If I caught someone inside the house they'd be f***ed.
10:24am 06/02/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8510 posts
That really sucks, hopefully you can move forward and not be too hampered. I'm lucky with my current house as every window has a few bars making it impossible to open them thanks to previous renters asking for them, though I still get a bit uneasy every now and then. Also doesn't help that someone tried to burn down the protein shop next door a few months ago.
10:31am 06/02/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3398 posts
What protein store eorl.

Bad news mantis, sucks bro.
10:40am 06/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5663 posts
Aww man, that sucks.
Watch they don't try to come back in a couple of months when the stuff they nicked have been replaced by insurance. :/
10:41am 06/02/13 Permalink
Snakeman
Queensland
867 posts
Better change your toothbrush as well dude as far as urban myths go!!!!
10:46am 06/02/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8512 posts
What protein store eorl.Bad news mantis, sucks bro.

One in Taringa, front door was on fire around 2am in the morning, however it luckily didn't spread any further.
11:07am 06/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8758 posts
I live in Annerley too.

Our neighbour across the road had his iPhone, iPad and wallet stolen last week. They just waltzed through the open back door (ground level) and took the s*** while he and his wife were vacuuming/cleaning in the front of the house.

We were broken into a few years ago. They kicked the front door in. They went through cupboards and made a bit of a mess but took nothing. There was laptops, mp3 players, watches, some cash, xbox (still in box) – nothing gone…. weird.
11:18am 06/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8759 posts
I'm lucky with my current house as every window has a few bars making it impossible to open them

While that's good to stop people getting in, it's not good for getting out i.e. fire.
11:19am 06/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10735 posts
F*** Brisbane is a ghetto. I see a lot of people selling off their backyards for another house to be built there, that is some ghetto bulls***.
11:22am 06/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5745 posts
F*** Brisbane is a ghetto. I see a lot of people selling off their backyards for another house to be built there, that is some ghetto bulls***.

You're a tard or a troll. This is what happens when cities grow, densification. It's good for everyone including the environment.
11:31am 06/02/13 Permalink
taggs
6077 posts
I'm lucky with my current house as every window has a few bars making it impossible to open them thanks to previous renters asking for them, though I still get a bit uneasy every now and then.

Having bars on the window isn't necessarily going to stop a criminal if they are determined.

My folks' place was broken into about a year ago and they got away with ~$100k+ worth of stuff (car + keys, cash, golf clubs, jewelery, phones, etc). The way they got into the house was by bending steel bars on a back window. Cops reckon they probably used a car jack or something similar.

Prior to the break in I would have assumed that the barred window was relatively safe and that any potential burglers would probably just break a french door window or something relatively unsecure like that.
11:33am 06/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3841 posts
You're a tard or a troll. This is what happens when cities grow, densification. It's good for everyone including the environment.

you called that growth? I call that f*****g cramming. I'm with thermite, cities are gonna start looking like the s***hole one from the new Dredd movie.

my cousins place got broken into in the night, they found his keys and tried to steal his car. When I say tried, they reversed the car and crashed hard into retaining wall running alongside the driveway. They jumped out of the car and fled. The garage is behind the house so they have to reverse and hard lock right to get onto the driveway to go down the side of the house.

Till this day they still can't workout how they got in as the place was locked and no signs of forced entry. What amazes me is that they did all this without waking up 4 adults. (except for the car crash bit).
11:42am 06/02/13 Permalink
Snakeman
Queensland
869 posts
you called that growth? I call that f*****g cramming. I'm with thermite, cities are gonna start looking like the s***hole one from the new Dredd movie.

Same here, I hate it when people take a house and shove it in the corner to cram this s***** little shoebox apartments in. They are built quick and look like s***.
11:47am 06/02/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8513 posts
Having bars on the window isn't necessarily going to stop a criminal if they are determined.
Definitely true, though I'm not sure you can bend these bars with a car jack, they are pretty thick and each window has at least 6 bars close together.
While that's good to stop people getting in, it's not good for getting out i.e. fire.
That's why the house has three smoke alarms and all checked pretty regularly. We also have our evacuation plans if need be.
11:48am 06/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7646 posts
Man I hate thieves. Sadly I have that kind of naivety about me that I don't understand why people would violate other peoples belongings like that :(

As many of you know, I'm building a new house in a new estate - in fact, it's proably only about six weeks off being complete now. The first thing I plan on doing on the second day after moving in is installing a security camera system which I've already purchased, but I'm also trying to decide if it's also worth having an alarm system installed. I'd love to know peoples thoughts on this.

Never mind selling off backyards for another unit - in most new estates down here, 350-450m^2 is all most blocks are sold as. A lot of newer states don't allow things like bars on windows or security shutters - mine included. As such, I have to figure out how I'm going to keep the bikes well secured. At the moment they're in a locked shed, but I'm going to look at some kind of proper rack for them that can have them locked to it. Them and the cameras would be the most likely targets for thieves - the cameras can just go in an alarmed security cabinet/safe.
11:52am 06/02/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3842 posts
The first thing I plan on doing on the second day after moving in is installing a security camera system which I've already purchased, but I'm also trying to decide if it's also worth having an alarm system installed. I'd love to know peoples thoughts on this.

Never mind selling off backyards for another unit - in most new estates down here, 350-450m^2 is all most blocks are sold as. A lot of newer states don't allow things like bars on windows or security shutters - mine included. As such, I have to figure out how I'm going to keep the bikes well secured. At the moment they're in a locked shed, but I'm going to look at some kind of proper rack for them that can have them locked to it. Them and the cameras would be the most likely targets for thieves - the cameras can just go in an alarmed security cabinet/safe.

regarding alarm system, install one that isn't monitored so you don't have ongoing costs (if that's possible?). Acts as a deterrent but does actually go off when someone breaks in.

With bars and security shutters, how can "they" tell you what you can or can't do. And who is "they"?
12:03pm 06/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10737 posts
martz: covenant agreement, forms part of your contract, usually the purpose is to make your house identical to every other house

i know right

Usually can be enforced, unless you can show the restrictions are un-environmental or due to the Developer's personal interests, but I guess you'd have to fight for it.
12:10pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7647 posts
Yeah, covenant - estate requirements.
Some of the other things in it are that the house has to be X distance from the street and offset no more or less than X meters from the house next door, that the facade can't match another house within three houses either side on the street, and the size of eaves - my estate for example doesn't require eaves but the Peet development across the main road does.
It also says you can't have any kind of chain link fence in the front yard, how the entryway to the house has to be defined (eg, no houses where the front door is off to the side, doorway has to be clearly visible from the street), fences have to be 1.8m colourbond in Woodland Grey... that kind of thing.
12:14pm 06/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3574 posts
regarding alarm system, install one that isn't monitored so you don't have ongoing costs (if that's possible?). Acts as a deterrent but does actually go off when someone breaks in.With bars and security shutters, how can "they" tell you what you can or can't do. And who is "they"?

i would get one that isn't monitored but is able to communicate with you via sms or something similar because the ones that are monitored, what do the monitoring people do but just call you first anyways.
12:18pm 06/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17778 posts
Hahaha love teh smarts in this thread, thermite leading the way as per usual

Better get used to it apartments and townhouses are going to become more popular as the city grows and more people want to live in the city. These types of developments will only become more and more viable for developers.
12:21pm 06/02/13 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6613 posts
regarding alarm system, install one that isn't monitored so you don't have ongoing costs (if that's possible?). Acts as a deterrent but does actually go off when someone breaks in.

An audible alarm is an excellent deterrent. Dogs are also very good. Storing valuables in not so obvious places is also a good idea as generally they beeline right for the bedrooms to look for cash/jewellery. Then depending on how much time they have (and how old they are) they may target other easy to carry items such as tablets and phones and sometimes consoles and that kind of thing. The only other thing I can stress is do not leave your car keys or spare keys near the front door or easily locatable. Find a different place for them or store them at work or something. Only thing worse than having someone break in is taking your car as well. This also allows them to steal FAR more property if they can drive from the scene.

As stated I try to take photos of property and their serial numbers and upload them so I always have those details if need be. Install tracking software on GPS enabled devices can also help. Regarding jewellery, if you have many expensive pieces then get them evaluated and take photos of them!
12:23pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1933 posts
F*** all these ideas. I suggest you dig a mote and fill it with crocodiles and great whites. problem solved.
12:50pm 06/02/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5710 posts
I have been meaning to take photos of my wifes jewellery and my watches. But all the notebooks have prey installed, the phones and ipad's have mdm running on each of them.

My younger brother got broken into that basically kicked the door in grabbed the spare key for his ute packed it to the gills and f***ed off into the sunset.
01:23pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Slappercx
Brisbane, Queensland
1972 posts
:( Annerley is just up from me at Yeronga, although my concern is probably more the bikes living across from me, I reckon I am pretty safe from being robbed whilst those guys are across the road.
02:07pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13442 posts
Love my dog.

Thieves in Cairns have started tagging the roadside outside houses that are easy marks.
02:16pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Chester
Queensland
65 posts
You didn't hire some dodgy guy to fix your roof did you?

Told his mates about your house and wam bam....
03:24pm 06/02/13 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
7078 posts
that totally sucks mantis :(

i really need to do more about my home security... n my neighbourhood is dodgy. :(
03:48pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
331 posts
I have found that non-monitored audible alarms are a good deterrent to make them leave once they get in.

This generally reduces it to just a smash and grab type scenario verses looting your entire house.

Both times the old house I used to live in was broken into they fled the scene once the alarm system was triggered, reducing them to basically getting nothing of value. It helps that the alarm system is loud enough to be painful when standing inside.
05:34pm 06/02/13 Permalink
pARODY
Brisbane, Queensland
1118 posts
I am always amused when I hear about someone breaking into a house or business and they actually had to break something to get in. Lock picks are cheap to buy and easy to get delivered from online websites like http://www.southord.com which is where I got a nice 25 piece lockpick set. No background checks or locksmith license required to buy. Legal to own in QLD without locksmith license too ( just can't operate a business or carry in public ).

Bypassing chains on doors is easy with a rubberband, those flip bar door jams are easy to open with a deflated balloon. As a penetration tester the only difficulty in breaking in somewhere was security systems that had a method to notify security/cops/mafia/owner. Most of the online ones we would compromise with malware first or break in and run for the server room to kill the network feed temp while we infect the server, take over box and re-enable networking for the feed to continue to central location without getting a timeout and having a patrol interupt.

Security is based on the idea of making it difficult for someone who doesn't have the correct items or codes to get in. There are always ways inside.

As the original message said, be prepared to lose your s***, backup regularly and backup often. Keep backups where a robbery would leave them unaffected.
06:31pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2310 posts
to be honest I have never liked Annerley, every time ive driven through there it just looked like you have entered the hood. Got to be up there with my least liked parts of brisbane.

I also agree with thermite, brisbane is a f*****g ghetto if you take a peak under the pretty sugar coating.
06:45pm 06/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17779 posts
It is a shame you agree with thermite as he hasn't got a clue about most things at the best of times
06:52pm 06/02/13 Permalink
pARODY
Brisbane, Queensland
1120 posts
Find somewhere that doesn't have an underlying ghetto and you'll also find leprechauns and stuff. Anywhere there is people is going to have a badside.
07:04pm 06/02/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2485 posts
So OP had a ladder stashed under the house... I thought it was common sense not to do that... padlock the f***** or keep it in a locked shed.

Also throw out your toothbrush.

I
07:04pm 06/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10740 posts
you know greazy and paveway, screw you I just drove him in the s***test traffic ever, and this ghetto business does't help
you're not meant to cram people into one tiny area it's bad for the mind, maybe back in the old country you'd all live in the one cave, but look how angry they get
07:18pm 06/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17780 posts
You are free to move out of the city if you don't like city growth

It isn't just some money making thing that people are doing it for, it is coming from a government planning level there are plenty of areas already slated for medium density residential hence why people are looking to do it and developers are approaching people

Eventually some of those areas will turn into high res and the units and town houses will be replaced with high rise buildings

City progression/common sense 101
07:32pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35116 posts
annerley is an awesome place to live, i miss it.
07:42pm 06/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10741 posts
haha
explaining it
08:01pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7206 posts
Yep friend of mine who lives in Kuraby just got his house broken into and s*** stolen for the 2nd time last week. They even stole his photos he took with his wife from his overseas trip. He's looking at moving out now.
08:08pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2462 posts
I reckon we need the castle law like in tassie. but with swords.
08:22pm 06/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3864 posts
to be honest I have never liked Annerley, every time ive driven through there it just looked like you have entered the hood. Got to be up there with my least liked parts of brisbane.

Southside.....say no more
08:27pm 06/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17781 posts
Truth
08:32pm 06/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9870 posts
2 iPads

am I the only person wondering if you've looked up their last known location Mantis?
09:15pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6392 posts
http://crimsafe.com.au/

If its not crim safe its not crim safe.
09:24pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3621 posts
if somebody wants to steal something of yours all you can do is deter them - but nothing is completely secure.

thieves will always go the weakest point, un-barred windows, a s***** door, garage doors

how many times have you guys called the cops because you've heard an alarm go off?

make sure you document all your valuables, photos + serial numbers + receipts for insurance

try to decrease opportunity (like locking up the ladder next time...) window locks can work as well - never really understood bars on the windows because I doubt many get smashed, its mainly forced open and in they go.
09:35pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
265 posts
am I the only person wondering if you've looked up their last known location Mantis?

Exactly what I was wondering. icloud.com/find in case you don't know the URL.
11:46pm 06/02/13 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4109 posts
Exactly what I was wondering. icloud.com/find in case you don't know the URL.

I either read something or saw it on TV a few weeks ago where a guy tracked down his stolen stuff called the cops and got arrested himself cause its illegal? I'm not sure either way check with police if you are allowed cause those useless c**** will just arrest you instead.
12:11am 07/02/13 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1155 posts
They climbing in yer windows, snatching yo people up
12:16am 07/02/13 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1156 posts
Just remembered my neighbour had an attempted break in a couple of months ago..

I live in a row of apartments where the front door is downstairs. My mate and his gf were watching TV when they heard a clinking @ the window downstairs.. he goes down to check it out and some guy has a machete through the louvers trying to open the door somehow. He scared him off but I hate to think what would have happened if the intruder had already opened the door.

I couldn't get my head around someone trying to break in to a place with the lights on and people home. Gotta be ice.
12:22am 07/02/13 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7675 posts
testing
01:09am 07/02/13 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
266 posts
I either read something or saw it on TV a few weeks ago where a guy tracked down his stolen stuff called the cops and got arrested himself cause its illegal? I'm not sure either way check with police if you are allowed cause those useless c**** will just arrest you instead.

It has also been tested in court. Someone was caught because the people whose iPad he had stolen traced it to his house. The police were called who then checked the home only to find heaps of (reported) stolen goods from multiple home burglaries.

I can't remember the exact details but the attempt was filed under something like a right to privacy being infringed upon because the stolen goods were traced to his private residence. Either way, the judge threw it out and said thief is now likely in prison.

Probably a good thing the judge threw it out because I could imagine people going vigilante if the law failed them like that.
09:00am 07/02/13 Permalink
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
1086 posts
Yeah, logged into iCloud. Mine is offline but set it to notify when it comes online and lock it. It's wifi only so no live location.

Girlfriends is 3G too but no sim and she had not setup iCloud.

Ladder was unsecure due to recent storms. Lost clothe cover to portable carport so had ladder out to put a tarp over framework.
09:54am 07/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:54am 07/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.