Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
Telstra to slow P2P downloading
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
895 posts
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/telstra-to-clamp-down-on-peertopeer-20130205-2dvus.html

Telstra is planning to slow the speed at which its ADSL customers download content through peer-to-peer (P2P) networks in peak periods as part of a trial.
P2P networks are commonly used to download pirated material such as movies, music and video games.
Telstra confirmed the move in a statement after a source contacted Fairfax Media, publisher of this article, to say the telco planned to introduce throttling as a "trial" that was likely to become permanent and which required users to opt out if they didn't want to take part in it.

The trial could begin as soon as this week, the source added.

You never go full retard ...
09:22pm 05/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:22pm 05/02/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2940 posts
One option being looked at was the shaping of specific services, including some peer-to-peer services, in certain circumstances and at certain times. The telco could shape such services using deep packet inspection (DPI) technology, which can identify the types of traffic flowing through a network and prioritise it accordingly.
What's the difference between DPI and wire tapping? I mean it sounds like something illegal but then maybe carriers are exempt from such laws?
09:32pm 05/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10733 posts
Don't worry guys just use http://bigpondmovies.com/ only 6 bucks to 'rent' a movie
09:42pm 05/02/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2483 posts
How exactly do the plan on shaping torrents....
Data appears completely random till it's all put together, blocking ports won't help since that can be easily changed.

Also what about all the P2P services that are completely legal, certain games use P2P clients for updates... It's almost as if ziggy has come back from the dead.
09:43pm 05/02/13 Permalink
cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
1870 posts
vpn, fixed
09:49pm 05/02/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16608 posts
i guess it's a good thing i don't use torrents then.
10:09pm 05/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19496 posts
telstra cable BAM
10:17pm 05/02/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7453 posts
How exactly do the plan on shaping torrents....
Data appears completely random till it's all put together, blocking ports won't help since that can be easily changed.

Not true. There are techniques that can classify P2P traffic based on statistical analysis. Things like data timing and behaviour, packet sizes, etc. They don't even care about the contents or exact ports.
vpn, fixed

Given the analytical programs don't really look at the payload, encrypting your traffic doesn't help. You'll have to employ special tricks like pushing blank or random data between "useful" data to throw off the analysis. However the traffic shaping program can just shape long-duration high volume traffic from non-standard ports if it wishes, "just to be sure".
10:25pm 05/02/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16609 posts
telstra cable BAM

oh and that too.
10:29pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21297 posts
my router has some pretty badass QoS stuff that seems to have the ability to tell certain packets to GTFO and others to come right on in. Never actually used it though, never saw a need to.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/pointyfork/qgl/th_qos_zps812f4b41.jpg
11:06pm 05/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9869 posts
telstra cable BAM

I don't have admin priv's on this forum so I can't nuke your post, though I'll pretend you didn't say that mate

plz infi - don't do that again.

it'll come back to bite you, and other's will copy your example

**will someone think of the children older folks**
11:15pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
3075 posts
Optus and many other ISP's around the world have had this for a while, depends on the detection they use. I had huge issues with Rift on optus, 6pm on the dot ping would shoot up to like 30000, then disconnect. I used a tunneler as Optus were or course denying it. The tunneler fixed it.
11:15pm 05/02/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3394 posts
F***. North lakes here has f*** all adsl and mobile coverage so im with telstra for both. $130 per month for discounted 500gb adsl2+ and unlimited home phone with a max torrent DL speed of approx 600kps which then slows youtube and other DLs to a crawl. At least the $30 prepaid mobile is f***loads for me.

Hope the opt out is easy enough.

Oh, my monthly broadband cap also includes uploads so i cant give back to the torrent community.
12:41am 06/02/13 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
2119 posts
my router has some pretty badass QoS stuff

what rooter whoop?

also vpn +1
01:34am 06/02/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2264 posts
Whether ISP's openly admit it or not I was under the impression nearly all the ISP's shaped p2p traffic.
01:42am 06/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21299 posts
what rooter whoop?

also vpn +1

wrt54g, says so right in the top corner :) running tomato firmware

or a modified version of tomato anyway: http://victek.is-a-geek.com/tomatoen.html
02:00am 06/02/13 Permalink
Ronnny
17 posts
who uses overpriced telstra for adsl anyways..
02:00am 06/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21300 posts
people who can't get anything but telstra?
02:05am 06/02/13 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1504 posts
Given the analytical programs don't really look at the payload, encrypting your traffic doesn't help. You'll have to employ special tricks like pushing blank or random data between "useful" data to throw off the analysis. However the traffic shaping program can just shape long-duration high volume traffic from non-standard ports if it wishes, "just to be sure".

VPN should fix the issue because everything is coming from a single IP as far as the ISP is concerned?
02:25am 06/02/13 Permalink
Ronnny
6 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Useless post
02:38am 06/02/13 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3242 posts
I use Telstra cable and it's awesome, just sayin.
08:17am 06/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35111 posts
hope optus dont get wind of this.

my delicious torrents are still full speed even with constant 24/7 uploading.
08:24am 06/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19497 posts
I'll pretend you didn't say that mate

please stop overreacting. who knows how this limiting will otherwise affect innocent broadband users.
03:18pm 06/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10461 posts
i <3 iinet
they go to court to protect my right to dl linux iso's!!!!1
08:55pm 06/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3579 posts
I have Telstra cable and it is awesome.

Back on topic, I find this kind of behavior a bit annoying. If they were offering unmetered quotas i could understand them doing this to stop people abusing it, but they don't anymore yet they are out there saying "20% of the people use 80% of the bandwidth", i just don't understand this.

What does this mean, that they are using their allocated quota? Does it mean 20% of the people are using 80% or more of their quota?

Or is it a case of using more than their quota while throttled and somehow end up making up 80% of Bigpond ADSL's bandwidth costs? I find that whole argument a bit confusing.
04:03pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13319 posts

F***. North lakes here has f*** all adsl and mobile coverage so im with telstra for both. $130 per month for discounted 500gb adsl2+ and unlimited home phone with a max torrent DL speed of approx 600kps which then slows youtube and other DLs to a crawl. At least the $30 prepaid mobile is f***loads for me.

I'm in Kallagur, just next to Posh North Lakes and I'm using iiNet ADSL2+ and it runs beautifully.
Glad I didn't move into that North Lakes area. Cost-Co and Ikea are going in next to the Westfield there, Westfield apparently had a whinge to the courts about Ikea and lost.
04:50pm 07/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3735 posts
oh yeah, cheap ikea food on the north side
04:57pm 07/02/13 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2475 posts
hope optus dont get wind of this.

my delicious torrents are still full speed even with constant 24/7 uploading.

+1
11:55pm 07/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1198 posts
F***. North lakes here has f*** all adsl and mobile coverage so im with telstra for both. $130 per month for discounted 500gb adsl2+ and unlimited home phone with a max torrent DL speed of approx 600kps which then slows youtube and other DLs to a crawl. At least the $30 prepaid mobile is f***loads for me.Hope the opt out is easy enough.Oh, my monthly broadband cap also includes uploads so i cant give back to the torrent community.

Yeah have friends in North Lakes - I have to call their landline to get in touch with them. It's stupid considering the size of North Lakes...
10:11am 08/02/13 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2476 posts
Arkter. Something like sickbeard may be a better option for you.
Seedbox would help also.
10:42am 08/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:42am 08/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.