Grab yourself a beta key for World of Warcraft's fifth expansion right here!
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Beta Giveaway
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Phone line connection who pays?
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6386 posts
I'm living up in Mackay for 12 months and moving into an apartment where I need to get a phone line installed to get internet.

I'm using Telstra phone line but not sure if I have to the Standard Connection $299 or the real estate/land lord does.

Does anyone know the ruling for this?

Appreciate any help and even documents to help me with this.

Cheers

Damo
09:06pm 05/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:06pm 05/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5742 posts
Read your contract is my advice. If it says anything about a phone line then demand it. Chances are, you have to pay for it because it is not essential like water/power. You could possibly demand it before signing the contract. Something else, is call RTA Queensland for proper advice. Check their website too.
09:11pm 05/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3863 posts
Far as I know it's all on you. LL has no obligation for this or TV aerial.

I was looking for a new office last week and looked at a brand new tilt slab set up. Ground floor had no power points and agent said it was up to us to install. Weird. Didn't take it.
09:16pm 05/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17775 posts
yeah i've never heard if any like that

if you want phone/internet then you pay for it..
09:20pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6387 posts
Cheers. :)
09:20pm 05/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9868 posts
your choice of teclo and associated installation costs is on your shoulders.

silly question, but have you even checked if you can get DSL where your office is? It seems odd that in this day and age you are even asking this question...

if it's not there already - it's not there for a reason.

Mackay isn't 'out in the sticks' by any stretch of the imagination, though I'd chuck it in the same folder as Adelaide, SA when it comes to net access

(( edit - it seems you have some options.... http://broadbandguide.com.au/naked-dsl/mackay ))
09:24pm 05/02/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7163 posts
it's on you which sucks because the next cornhole that moves in after you will reap the benefits at no cost :(
09:28pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6388 posts
Koopz, internet is already sorted just need the phone line connection. Will be Telstra adsl2+ unlimited. ;)

Unfortunately NBN isn't finished where i'll be living.
09:34pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21296 posts
it's on you which sucks because the next cornhole that moves in after you will reap the benefits at no cost :(

unless he "leaves the house in the same state as it was upon arrival" i.e. he tears out the phone lines :)
09:55pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13434 posts
^ how sandy would your vag have to be to do that?!
08:54am 06/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6389 posts
What would be the reason for Telstra to have to charge me $299 if there is already a phone line installed? :S
09:25am 06/02/13 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1755 posts
Far as I know it's all on you. LL has no obligation for this or TV aerial.

The previous place my gf and I lived in got a tv aerial installed at the cost of the land lord. We ended up not even getting a tv.

We just complained until they installed one lol.
09:34am 06/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13435 posts
What would be the reason for Telstra to have to charge me $299 if there is already a phone line installed? :S

reconnection if the line has been dormant? 299 is the maximum that they can charge to connect a premise.
09:42am 06/02/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11814 posts

Pretty sure about 10 years ago when I contacted the RTA about who paid for installing a phone line they said it was the land lord not tenant who had to pay for the installation if there was no existing phone line into the premises because a phone line is considered an essential service. Though you obviously have to pay any fees relating to establish your account with the provider. Any extra phone lines would probably be you paying for it with permission from the landlord to install it.
09:47am 06/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6390 posts
Quite strange then Hoggy. The owner(landlord) was just living there so yeah.

Telstra are calling me this afternoon around 3 so i'll see what they have to say.
09:51am 06/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10734 posts
I suspect Twisted is right, when I had a phone line installed the bloke who came out to do it mentioned something about a lot of jobs being done for rentals because of 'essential services'.

Maybe it was the antenna guy, I can't remember.
09:53am 06/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5743 posts
^ how sandy would your vag have to be to do that?!

I would do this because realestates are f*****g horrible people.
10:15am 06/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5664 posts

Pfft, real estate agents aren't real people, they're lizards in disguise like in V.
10:45am 06/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13436 posts

And you have one of the sandiest vages in Australia. The prosecution rests.

And yeh I think one phone line is required for residential premises, commercial is probably diff.
11:09am 06/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3576 posts
shouldn't have to pay 299$. usually that is to bring the line into the place from the pitt/MDF .

is there a line in your place? can you plug a phone into it and get a tone? if so, it should just be a ~59$ connection fee.
12:48pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6391 posts
Ara, waiting to hear back from the real estate agent again. She said the landlord had told her there is a phone line. She's ringing her back to confirm this so when Telstra call me I can tell them this. They've done test while I was doing a live chat but they kept saying there wasn't a phone line.

It wouldn't make any difference if the phone was with another telco?
01:06pm 06/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3577 posts
It wouldn't make any difference if the phone was with another telco?

i don't think so, the line in the ground is almost always telstras, unless it comes in via a optus paytv cable or something.
01:24pm 06/02/13 Permalink
exo
Sydney, New South Wales
9048 posts
Worst thing about paying $299 to have copper connected to your joint is that in a few years you'll be getting NBN installed for free AND Telstra will get a kickback for the conduit.

(I'm just going through this myself)
11:11pm 06/02/13 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
3529 posts
All the information online, admittedly, except in this thread, says the tenant pays.
07:45pm 07/02/13 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3243 posts
RTA Article on this exact question

Who's responsible for getting a phone line installed?

Lessors are not obliged to provide a telephone connection in a rental property, but when a rental premises includes a phone line, the lessor must ensure it is in good repair.

At the beginning of a tenancy, it’s a good idea for a lessor and tenant to discuss whether or not a phone connection is included in the tenancy agreement.
07:42am 08/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3868 posts
She said the landlord had told her there is a phone line

Can you find a wall outlet? Or around the outside is there a Telstra box anywhere?

Seems strange LL says there is a line if none of these exist.
07:55am 08/02/13 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2915 posts
Last place I was at we made the landlord pay the $299 connection fee.
Pretty sure it says something about it on the RTA that phone connections etc must be provided for tenants.
08:50am 08/02/13 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3244 posts
Pretty sure it says something about it on the RTA that phone connections etc must be provided for tenants.

Incorrect. See my post above.
10:17am 08/02/13 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2916 posts
We are talking about the initial first time connection fee yes?
In our last place when we moved in the landlord had to provide this connection, just going from my previous experience
11:05am 08/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17783 posts
they did that out of the goodness of their heart then

the apartment my missus moved into a couple of years ago had nothing, you have to pay for it yourself
01:32pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4150 posts
You can ask the owner to install a phone line or a TV aerial or a helicopter landing pad, but they aren't obligated to do any of them.
02:05pm 08/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3581 posts
You can ask the owner to install a phone line or a TV aerial or a helicopter landing pad, but they aren't obligated to do any of them.

how do you explain my helicopter landing pad then!
02:44pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2265 posts
OMG so I put my foot through the ceiling on my rentel last weekend for nothing????
So I got the tv aerial working but now I have to go back to fix the hole in the roof :(
02:57pm 08/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9866 posts
Who moves into a home without a Telephone line or Cable installation ?

One of Facemans creeds is every Whore has its Price, anything is negotiable.
contact the Landlord and offer to pay half if he pays half.
or
Tell Telstra you are interested in getting an account with them and what could they offer to make the installation cost a little less painful.

Often people dont ask this question, it can sometimes be an alladins cave of goodies, but as The Secret tells you, you must ask for what you want.
03:04pm 08/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3870 posts
Who moves into a home without a Telephone line or Cable installation ?

One of Facemans creeds is every Whore has its Price, anything is negotiable.
contact the Landlord and offer to pay half if he pays half.
or

Tell Telstra you are interested in getting an account with them and what could they offer to make the installation cost a little less painful.

Often people dont ask this question, it can sometimes be an alladins cave of goodies, but as The Secret tells you, you must ask for what you want.

stop talking sense you have us concerned
08:04pm 08/02/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6397 posts
All payed for by work. :D
09:04pm 08/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9875 posts
So I got the tv aerial working but now I have to go back to fix the hole in the roof :(

I'm thinking 'air vent' ;)
11:24pm 08/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:24pm 08/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close