AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
splashdamage: scummy developers or scummiest developers?
qmass
Queensland
10501 posts
Little hard to find but via twitter a way to sign up for beta without paying (cannot copy @splashdamages signup link, some voodoo behind it methinks) - https://twitter.com/splashdamage/status/298832066018156544

So everyone knows that Brink was a complete failure and handled extremely poorly by splash damage. (edit for fairness - bethesda obviously share in the blame for bringing up the games release date) Now they are working on 'Dirty Bomb' - a game that looks exactly the same (which is awesome because splashdamage has managed to imprison a bunch of really talented artists) and are touting their analytics system.

Which is nothing new - valve publicly used the same thing for tf2, fixing choke points revealed on heat maps. Even treyarch included the same kind of heat map analysis in black ops 1 - whether or not 3arc used the information to improve the game is beside the point because splashdamage have only a 50/50 chance of doing so, if history means anything.

Maybe they are trying to improve on areas they have failed previously? Brink did have a lot of potential and maybe they just had no idea how to improve it and froze up... hopefully this much analysis will make it easy for them to make a good game and show how they have changed their ways.

oh.

http://i.imgur.com/CNE4fL7.png

You have to pay to get into the alpha to have a chance to 'shape the game'. The least they could do is offer discounted instant access to those screwed over by Brink so they have a chance to help them not fall short on the areas they so miserably screwed up last outing.

edit: forgot to include their best deals

http://i.imgur.com/AnSAySm.png
05:18pm 05/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:18pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5660 posts
I'm sensing bitterness
05:25pm 05/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1193 posts
05:27pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6770 posts
How is this any worse than the Founder's Programs for other games like MechWarrior Online and MechWarrior Tactics?
05:28pm 05/02/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10502 posts
Well I'm a little bitter about brink, sure. But not so much as shocked at the balls on splash damages management.

Charging people to play lab-rat and run around their maze so they can collect statistics is pretty poor form given their history.
Charging to play the alpha of a free2play game does not set a good precedent for their pay structure on release.
Not acknowledging the failures of Brink or trying to get back the loyalty of past supporters on a PC only game with the size of the PC community compared to console also seems kind of dumb.

edit: well its no different to mechwarrior at all

http://i.imgur.com/MXDuApL.jpg

because they either copied it wholesale or have contracted the same company to handle that side of the product.
05:31pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1930 posts
How is the way they are going about beta access etc any different to so many other games in development?
I agree that Brink tanked pretty badly but I thought the game itself wasn't too bad, just rushed out the door a little early.

Edit * - Also, aside from Brink they actually have a pretty solid history. ET Quake Wars was f*****g awesome.
05:31pm 05/02/13 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5382 posts
List of good games Splash Damage has made:
05:43pm 05/02/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10503 posts
they made a really good mod a long time ago right guys? guys?
05:57pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
14064 posts
Haha, and just how many hours of ET have you logged reso?

Sensing much sour grapes. Personally still have plenty of respect for Splash Damage. Agreed that the analytics features they are touting aren't nothing particularly new, but my understanding is that they're part of a toolset that is being created by a sister company called Fireteam that appears to be hoping to become some kind of middleware alternative to Gamespy.
06:25pm 05/02/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2939 posts
I like it how if you pay more money you get a signed poster.

I wonder how much you have to pay to get a poster not defaced by a bunch of nobodies?
06:39pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13313 posts
I per-oredered Brink. Biggest let down I've played in a long long time. More so than Diablo 3.

I no longer pre-order games, apart from a few Kickstarter games developed by very talented people.

Splash Damage are great at marketing, poor at Game development it seems. We shall see.
06:51pm 05/02/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2484 posts
Brink wasn't a terrible game, I felt the gaming community was to spoilt for choice at the time and became super critical of it.

As for the analytics stuff.. it is nothing new and any serious online fps dev should be doing it these days.
10:05pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21298 posts
I feel like I should know who splash damage is, but I don't. Should I? Wasn't someone on the qgl forums or irc channel called that?
11:13pm 05/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6351 posts
Brink wasn't a terrible game, I felt the gaming community was to spoilt for choice at the time and became super critical of it.As for the analytics stuff.. it is nothing new and any serious online fps dev should be doing it these days.

I felt that about quake 4, people's taste had gone off the arcadey FPS with twitch reactions and individual map control and timers.. and onto some weird fake war realism games..
11:21pm 05/02/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
529 posts
It kinda looks like disney trying to make BF3.
11:26pm 05/02/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10505 posts
I felt that about quake 4, people's taste had gone off the arcadey FPS with twitch reactions and individual map control and timers.. and onto some weird fake war realism games..
The funny thing is that black ops and black ops 2 have a more successful system of diving and climbing than brink and its not even something they try and sell the game on.
12:16am 06/02/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3395 posts
Brink was s***. So much hype then so much fail. Steam says 69mins played and it was a clusterf*** of bugs and whatever that retarded free running system they used.

I dont see the appeal in paying for lame ass in game superficial s*** like gun tags, dog tags, character models etc but i swear heaps of these free-to-play games prey on gamers that love that s***.

Ive said it before but i work with a console gamer and he loves the stupid preorder s***. Biggest lol i remember was the water pistol he got with bulletstorm.

I loved Q4 but wished you could have carried more ammo per weapon. Back then was early gaming days so i was easily impressed.

As for COD, i always hated their climbing system. Far too many times i would want to jump to shoot an enemy but instead the dumbass would slowly vault the object in front and get killed.
12:46am 06/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5744 posts
Nintendo do the best preorder ever. Who remembers the bonus disk with wind walker? I do. I have two of them.
10:26am 06/02/13 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4146 posts
What the hell is brink
06:34pm 06/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:34pm 06/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close