We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Where do you buy books?
XaltD
Queensland
1186 posts
I've just started reading the death gate cycle again and I'm trying to track down elven star... So there is amazon and eBay but is there any other places that you buy from?
10:11am 02/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:11am 02/02/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16586 posts
10:26am 02/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7634 posts
Book?

Surely you mean eBook, right?
10:41am 02/02/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1290 posts
Have you tried a book shop?

I miss borders.
10:51am 02/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35084 posts
internets
11:15am 02/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9846 posts
Surely you mean eBook, right?

Those things are not Books.
11:20am 02/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35085 posts
i dont understand why anyone would want to buy a physical book (except maybe if it was something heavily reliant on pixtures, like an atlas)

f*** filling up my house's precious space with dead trees.
11:44am 02/02/13 Permalink
Tremble
Brisbane, Queensland
445 posts
Booko.com.au searches a bunch of online book stores, factors in shipping to Australia, and gives you the cheapest. 90% of the time it ends up being The Book Depository.
12:02pm 02/02/13 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
766 posts
I go for ebooks and audio books. Just finished book 6 in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, got book 7 and 4.5 to go. Any recommendations after I finish those?
01:51pm 02/02/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6261 posts
google play or book depository, or hire ebooks from qut
02:00pm 02/02/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7448 posts
i dont understand why anyone would want to buy a physical book

For novels, that's a reasonable question. Technical books with source code or mathematical equations, where you need correct text alignment, rarely render properly in ebooks and are a complete mess.
02:17pm 02/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35090 posts
Technical books with source code or mathematical equations, where you need correct text alignment, rarely render properly in ebooks and are a complete mess.

yer, thats fair. i did mention books with pixtures dont work out too well on ereaders.
02:40pm 02/02/13 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4103 posts
all my books are delivered by a magical fairy called amazon whispernet..
02:50pm 02/02/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7449 posts
i did mention books with pixtures dont work out too well on ereaders.

That's an entirely different matter to shuffling text equations/code around, which could be done properly if they handled tab/whitespace properly (assuming you have a wide enough display to prevent wraparound).

If it's colour pictures then obviously an ereader display won't be able to render it. If it's a grayscale/BW image inside a PDF, then you're at the mercy of the ereader hardware. From what I understand Kindles have more trouble supporting PDFs than others (e.g. Sony's models), which may or may not be intentional ..

Just waiting for the hybrid displays + proper PDF support + more large ereader models ... so that I can carry A4-size portable technical documents around the office ...
02:51pm 02/02/13 Permalink
Ha
56 posts
fishpond.com.au have served me well with competitive prices, but the orders take f*****g ages to arrive.
03:05pm 02/02/13 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
262 posts
Book depository, Fishpond, and Amazon.

Haven't progressed to eBooks yet. Still got plenty of bookshelf space to fill up with the real deal.
03:14pm 02/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7637 posts
i dont understand why anyone would want to buy a physical book (except maybe if it was something heavily reliant on pixtures, like an atlas)

f*** filling up my house's precious space with dead trees.

eBooks don't furnish a room.
04:39pm 02/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35093 posts
eBooks don't furnish a room.

at my place bro, furniture does.

i wouldnt want to waste space looking spanky with many leather bound books.

04:40pm 02/02/13 Permalink
Agamemnon
Brisbane, Queensland
1121 posts
i cant believe the price of the ebooks. I always thought "real" books were expensive but at least i could point to the whole printing / binding / production / overheads etc and think it seemed a little fair... but an ebook? Straight from the author to the web and what exactly am i paying for except the intellectual property?

meanwhile, i dont have an ipad (no apple products in my house at all) or ebook reader - any recommendations for a good reader?
06:20pm 02/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35094 posts
kindle
06:29pm 02/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10728 posts
I don't buy books, fruit, or vegetables.
08:09pm 02/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8752 posts
I just got a new a new Kindle, the new 'Paper White'. Meaning it has inbuilt lighting for the darker reading times. Wifey has the normal Kindle which, after I thought was a waste of money, I have found really good. But sometimes a little dark when reading in a dimly lit room.

So far so good with the 'Paper White', but it does suffer from the main complaint of these, being the light is uneven at the bottom of the screen. I can deal with it, once you are reading you barely notice it, but it is a flaw.

The whole buying off Amazon and it loading to the Kindle is just too easy....

09:35pm 02/02/13 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8753 posts
I ended up buying the regular [5th Gen] Kindle over the Paperwhite, the lack of light hasn't bothered me at all. I can't believe how nice Kindles are to read, I should have purchased one years ago.

The whole 1-click checkout on Amazon is getting out of hand though. I'm starting to amass more unread books than unplayed games on Steam.

Trying to do the whole "52 books" thing this year, going well so far.
09:52pm 02/02/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16590 posts
1 book a week? good luck
09:57pm 02/02/13 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8754 posts
I go for ebooks and audio books.
Where do you get your audio-books from?

I keep finding my way onto audible.com when I'm browsing Amazon, is this the best service?
09:58pm 02/02/13 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8755 posts
1 book a week? good luck
I exclusively read non-fiction and they all seem to all hover around ~300-400 pages of chunky font, so it's pretty easy to get through.

Trying to read 1 novel a week would kill me, let alone the fantasy/sci-fi type stuff that lots of users here read.

Wtf can't I edit posts any more? Neither on QGL or Ausgamers... did I miss something while I was away?
10:07pm 02/02/13 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
769 posts
^^^ yeah get all mine from audible, started with a freebie deal and left my subscription going, but also just being a member gets discounts. Or I heard Uncle Torrence has some that he lends out.

Audio books work great for me as I can listen to em at work. I try for the longer ones than can waste a week of work at a time.
10:09pm 02/02/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20989 posts
http://www.bookworld.com.au/ ischeaper then the overseas mobs most of the time and free Aus shipping. Worked well for me afew times, previously I used bookrepositry.co.uk
07:49am 03/02/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13310 posts
lol asif get a Kindle Paperwhite.

Kobo Glo is similar and can read ePub files among other formats of which the Kindle can't do. It also has many more options for displaying text and has a prototype webbrowser for the lolz. It can do everything the Kindle can, but better and cheaper. Also it is pretty easy to sideload books.

You can buy it as cheap as $131 by getting Office Works to price match Harris Technology.
08:57am 03/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8753 posts
Kobo Glo is similar and can read ePub files among other formats of which the Kindle can't do.

I didn't shop around at all, so I dunno if it's the best or worst eReader.

But what it does do is make buying books from Amazon a breeze, and that's all I care/d about.
10:18am 03/02/13 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13894 posts
http://www.bookworld.com.au/ is cheaper then the overseas mobs most of the time and free Aus shipping. Worked well for me afew times, previously I used bookrepositry.co.uk

Bookworld is good if you're keen for a new release because it ships locally (from United Book Distributors in Scoresby, VIC) and they include postage in the price.

If you don't care about receiving the goods quick Book Depository is nearly always better.

Bookworld has a price guarantee deal with Amazon as well, so you can always apply that to get the book at Amazon price.

For anyone with an e-Reader that doesn't use the software Calibre you're probably doing it wrong.
03:52pm 04/02/13 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7721 posts
lol amazon lol
05:42pm 04/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8754 posts
What's wrong with Amazon, serious question?

I've always found what I want and it updates the Kindle within a few minutes of purchase, seems ok to me but I am a noob in the eReader world.
05:51pm 04/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5737 posts
Look up "Amazon george orwell 1984 ebook" then come back here to post:
lol amazon lol
05:56pm 04/02/13 Permalink
eXemplar
Brisbane, Queensland
2828 posts
Kobo Glo is similar and can read ePub files among other formats of which the Kindle can't do. It also has many more options for displaying text and has a prototype webbrowser for the lolz. It can do everything the Kindle can, but better and cheaper. Also it is pretty easy to sideload books.

To be honest, I would still recommend a kindle to non-techy people primarily for the easy 3g access to the amazon store, not to mention their fantastic customer service (they'll pretty much replace your kindle no questions asked regardless of warranty). If you wanna pirate books and f*** around with bluetooth then kobos are decent for the price (even though the no frills kindle is $90 - and they all have web browsers).
06:04pm 04/02/13 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13896 posts
Look up "Amazon george orwell 1984 ebook" then come back here to post:lol amazon lol

I don't get it.

It's 99 cents? What's the problem.
09:56pm 04/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3860 posts
Definitely kindle. Why the Amazon hate?

Also not a bad read is this series.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/570383.The_Eternal_Mercenary
10:22pm 04/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5739 posts
I don't get it.It's 99 cents? What's the problem.

It's about control of information.
10:48pm 04/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2261 posts
I don't have a specific e-reader device but I am inclined to pick one up in the next few months.

To be fair and upfront I am technically a "book person" (as in paper books); I worked in a book shop, I have a BA in English Lit and studied in the WEP Grad Dip (Writing Editing and Publishing) at UQ (hmm really must finish that thing one day). I collect comics. I love print on paper. But more and more I have turned to electronic media. When someone I meet says they are a "book person" I smugly label them as a dinosaur. I feel like I have one leg in each camp and sooner or later I'm gonna have to choose a side. These days I read mostly online/onscreen (FB, blogs, emails, websites etc) and have had a bit of a hiatus from reading books (I have been through stages or reading a lot to not a all) but I feel like a device (whether dedicated eg Kindle or multi purpose eg iPad) has vastly more opportunities to rediscover "books". Like Spook said, the physical space alone is a concern and as I have a large quantity of paper already, so maybe it's time to change.

PS As for comics I don't think I could ever really feel good about reading them on a screen. Like vinyl they are something I have a bit of a fetish for. FYI I buy mine occasionally from eBay but mostly from ACE Comics Annerley.

On a side note: As I am involved in the publishing industry I am interested in your thoughts on textbooks: ebook or paper copy? I realise the vast majority of you have graduated from one course or another and are past the point of buying textbooks, but I am interested as to whether a group such as QGL (presumably early adopting, tech savvy and high end users for the most part) would be inclined to purchase an ebook for a uni or TAFE required/recommended text. Would you expect integrated online resources as well? For example a companion website etc?

When we are talking about ebooks are they just faithful reproductions of the printed text or are they enhanced with notes and pop-ups and additional material? If not, is this (like the extras on DVDs) something that would persuade you to buy one version over another?
10:54pm 04/02/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2262 posts
tldr: I am in a transitional phase: traditionally local bookshop (although I worked at one so no brainer with staff discount etc) or secondhand bookshops but interested in the digital ebook phenom.

Also due to my occupation I am interested in your thoughts on uni/TAFE textbooks: ebook or paper? (We publish both FYI).
10:57pm 04/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5740 posts
For uni pdf is awesome becaue of ctrl + F.
11:27pm 04/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35108 posts
If you wanna pirate books and f*** around with bluetooth then kobos are decent for the price (even though the no frills kindle is $90 - and they all have web browsers).

there is zero issues pirating books on kindles if you are so inclined.
07:18am 05/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8755 posts

While I haven't really looked into what you're referring to, can't a company choose what they sell to their customers? If they don't want to sell something, for whatever reason, it's that their call?

Maybe if the Government was behind it (say forcing Amazon or banning something) you could call 'control of information', but a retailer not retailing something?

(maybe I've totally missed the jist of it what you're referring to.)
08:13am 05/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3862 posts

Are you Faceman?
09:02am 05/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5741 posts
Haha @ both you two knobs. Go read what I am referring to. It's both really interesting and hilarious. The gist of it is that George Orwell wrote a book called 1984 that introduced the idea of big brother government. This government controls all information to the point where it is starting to change the language (called newspeak in the book), rewriting history and even peoples thoughts (through the change of language).

So back to Amazon. It was selling 1984 through it's store but then one day without any warning customers who bought both Animal Farm and 1984 found their legally bought books on their Kindles missing. Turns out Amazon had deleted it (via whispernet or whatever it's called) because an unauthorised company was selling it.

Of course Amazon realsied it was a bad idea to delete the customers books without warning and promised they weren't going to do it again.

Control of information. I'm going to get all emotional and philosophical here: information is unbelievably powerful and I don't feel comfortable with a company having such access and control over it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html?_r=0
Justin Gawronski, a 17-year-old from the Detroit area, was reading “1984” on his Kindle for a summer assignment and lost all his notes and annotations when the file vanished. “They didn’t just take a book back, they stole my work,” he said.
10:30am 05/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5654 posts
“They didn’t just take a book back, they stole my work,” he said.

Heh, welcome to cloud computing.

"There is no knowledge that is not power." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
11:00am 05/02/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22201 posts
But Amazon don't have control over the information. In fact they have such little control that they were forced to delete it from their library due to legal reasons. I don't really see the point you are trying to make.

edit: apart from the obvious one that information is powerful and single entities having control over it is A Bad Thing but I am not getting the whole lol amazon thing.
01:33pm 05/02/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5658 posts
They have enough control to remotely delete data off devices, that's the only importance to someone who has made that purchase.

I don't think greazy means the problem is amazon specific, that was just one example (ironic that it was Animal Farm and 1984 though). When you hand over control of your data or purchases to another party in exchange for convenience, there's always the risk of being surprised if they then use that control in ways that you might not like.
02:38pm 05/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8756 posts
Did they refund everyone that had their books deleted?
02:39pm 05/02/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22205 posts
Okay now I get it.
02:42pm 05/02/13 Permalink
DoCZero
Melbourne, Victoria
160 posts
I get good value from Sexyland.
04:57pm 05/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:57pm 05/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.