Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Weight loss supplements
D-Sub
Brisbane, Queensland
242 posts

I've started going to the gym recently as I've been sitting on 110kg for a couple of years at 185cm. I know there's a few people here who are into fitness and I'm wondering, apart from adjusting my diet and regular exercise which I'm already doing, are there any supplements out there that can speed the process up? I've seen them advertised however I know there's a lot of bulls*** artists out there preying on tubby suckers like me.

Cheers
07:36pm 30/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:36pm 30/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17760 posts
yes mate

the best supplement i can think of for weight loss is supplementing the s*** food out of your diet with good food

or if you are rich, speed
07:40pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21242 posts
dude at work drinks that fat blaster max s***, says he has that in the morning and doesn't want any food until dinner. I don't much think that's such a good idea though.

110kg for a couple of years at 185cm

I'm ~174cm and 70kg, is that good or bad?
07:40pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1726 posts
I can't say I have as much fat to burn as you but I've strictly just been eating according to keto diet and I've lost 6kg and maintained muscle mass in about one month. Some people don't have the discipline to cut out carbs and some people don't agree with the diet but I'm loving the results so far. Just try a good diet without trying anything to 'speed up' the process imo.
07:41pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Hybr|d
Brisbane, Queensland
915 posts
For the most part fat burners are rubbish. If you are eating more calories than your body burns on a daily basis you will gain weight (regardless of what fat burner you're taking), if you eat less calories than what your body burns, you'll lose weight. Easy as that.

The best method for losing weight is simply counting your calories. Spend 2-3 weeks working out how much your body burns daily (Use a formula to get a basic starting point), then take away 500 calories a day. You should drop roughly 0.5kg a week at that rate. If you take away much more you'll probably find yourself starving, then you'll finder it harder not to binge.

Some good tips. 1 - Eat lots of veggies. Very low cals, very filling. 2 - Write out a list of your most commonly eaten foods, their carbs/protein/fat/calories. Then just write down roughly what you eat daily off that. 3 - Drink diet soda.

Whilst cutting the "S***" out of your diet will help, if you're still eating over your maintenance after cutting it out...you're not going to go anywhere.
07:50pm 30/01/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5727 posts
dude at work drinks that fat blaster max s***, says he has that in the morning and doesn't want any food until dinner. I don't much think that's such a good idea though.I'm ~174cm and 70kg, is that good or bad?

A really rough rule is take your height in cm and minus 100cm and that is your ideal weight in kgs.

I can't say I have as much fat to burn as you but I've strictly just been eating according to keto diet and I've lost 6kg and maintained muscle mass in about one month. Some people don't have the discipline to cut out carbs and some people don't agree with the diet but I'm loving the results so far. Just try a good diet without trying anything to 'speed up' the process imo.

Keto. is. bad. for. your health. The majority of weight loss from keto is water. Longer term keto is terrible. The irony is that keto is not a good diet (because it is unsustainable for long periods) and people do it to try and speed things up. Go read some science or even wiki. Btw you should know that keto is used to treat epilepsy.

What paveway said is the best advice. I'd like to add that it's all cal in/ cal out. If you have a smart phone look up a program called MyFitnessPal. It's a calorie counter. Start counting. After a while it becomes habit and easy. There are sites out there that will tell you what your cals should be to lose X amount of weight. eg: http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/view/bodyweight-calculator. Something else that is important is carbs intake. It's easy to eat too many carbs.

In the end, exercise + good diet (i.e one that is sustainable) is the best way to lose weight and importantly keep it off.
07:54pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13302 posts
Keto diet is interesting.
Except when you get kidney stones, they look pretty painful.
08:05pm 30/01/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6338 posts
dude at work drinks that fat blaster max s***, says he has that in the morning and doesn't want any food until dinner. I don't much think that's such a good idea though.I'm ~174cm and 70kg, is that good or bad?

This could be ok depending on your build. I don't know how wide your shoulders are or anything but i'm 60kgs at 170cm and i'm happy to be that heavy (i been eating protein and doing weights to put on the last 5 kgs).

In other words if the extra 10kgs isn't all on your gut, you probably shouldn't worry about it.
08:07pm 30/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
513 posts
Just ignore all the pseudo-science bulls*** around weight loss "magic drinks" or other s***. Generally, you'll either not lose anything, or it'll just be water-weight. Most good nutritionists/doctors will tell you there is no such thing as a shortcut to lose weight. It's all a load of bulls***. If anything "claims" to speed up your body's natural processes, it's most likely quackery.

However,. you WILL want protein supplements if you don't get much in your daily eating though.

Best way to lose weight is regular exercise and a healthy calorie controlled "life-style change" (because everyone says diets don't work long run :P)

Also, technically, you're gonna GAIN weight before you lose any. Just forget about losing weight and focus on losing fat. Also, schedule your working out into your day (I'd suggest heavy muscle-building workouts every couple of days, just do cardio on your off days to burn fat) and you'll form a habit eventually, making it much easier to stick with.

Get your body-fat measured before you start and get it measured again like every 3 months to see your progress, rather than going off weight.

I started working out and GAINED weight. Literally 20kg heavier by the time I stopped because I am (lucky) genetically disposed to building muscle.

Was a freak out when I went from 90kg to 110kg after months of working out though lol (btw, I'm like 192cm or so. 6 foot 3 for the yanks).

::EDIT::

Also, going situps and crunches (etc etc) will NOT give you amazing abs like all those ads promise. It'll just strengthen your core muscles.

To actually SEE your abs, you just simply need low body-fat. So just purely focus on that, instead of "10 steps to get ripped abs" bulls***.

If you don't lose the fat, it won't matter how many ab exercises you do, your stomach won't get any flatter.

::EDIT EDIT::

Also, if you're struggling to stick to a routine, get a friend to come with you so it's harder to say "I can't be f***ed exercising today".
08:16pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Karmadelik
Brisbane, Queensland
214 posts
protein supplements I've heard conflicting information about.
On one hand you need protein to build muscle, but on the other, there is more than enough protein in a chicken breast, or steak etc, that your body cant digest it all, and most of the protein goes to waste.

So is there really a point in spending money to flush protein through your body when you get enough from food? (presuming your eating right that is)
08:42pm 30/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
514 posts
protein supplements I've heard conflicting information about.On one hand you need protein to build muscle, but on the other, there is more than enough protein in a chicken breast, or steak etc, that your body cant digest it all, and most of the protein goes to waste.So is there really a point in spending money to flush protein through your body when you get enough from food? (presuming your eating right that is)

A supplement is something that's meant to be taken to help fix gaps in your diet.

So if you're not getting enough protein while working out, it can really help. Sometimes when you're trying to stay low calorie, it can mean you're short on diff nutrients. When I was working out, I was short on protein, so had to spend hand over fist on that junk -_-

Though I also had a medical issue, so meh.

But yeah, generally, most supplements are wasted on someone with a well-balanced diet.

I would advise you talk to your GP while you're doing it to make sure you're not short on protein / other nutrients before going out and buying a bunch if you're short on cash.

Though from what I was told, even if you're eating pretty well, it can still help to have a little extra protein (can help speed up recovery times apparently). Take that with a grain of salt, though, I'm not a biologist or a nutritionist :P
09:01pm 30/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9835 posts
i think ppl treat weightloss as a 100 meters dash when you should treat as a very long marathon. If they dont lose weight in a few weeks they give up.

drink lots of water.
have a big drink of water before you eat a meal, it will make you feel full.
try to eat a bit less and exercise a bit more.
gradually you will lose weight.

Try to understand why you eat a lot.
Do you often regret gourging on a big meal ?
what makes you eat a huge meal ?

Self Control.
09:06pm 30/01/13 Permalink
DoCZero
Melbourne, Victoria
157 posts
After my scientific study of rock-n-roll singers: Steven Tyler & Keith Richards - I have concluded that Heroin is both an excellent Weight Loss Supplement , and great for fighting hair loss.
09:30pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6382 posts
Faceman, you don't need a big drink of water before you eat. Just have a decent size glass before you eat and it will help digestion.

09:36pm 30/01/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3773 posts
The dealer in 'Harry Brown' (pretty good movie btw) used that method

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqazdz3Rp51qd7m1so1_500.png

Don't cut carbs, reduce carbs. Eat healthy, eat slightly smaller. Shag lots. Easy.
09:38pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35068 posts
f*** all this s***, if you are serious about weight loss, shoot up wizzer and work out till you come down, come home and sleep.

repeat until you have desired physique.
09:43pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3282 posts
or if you are rich, speed

since when was speed expensive?? lawl

side effects include (but arent limited to): ending up with a clean house, muscle degeneration, and nasty come-downs
09:54pm 30/01/13 Permalink
ctd
UK
10219 posts
I had visible abs (without pretending to take a s*** through your stomach) for a few months during the summer - got a bit lazy after Ibiza but its coming back now.

Weekday routine:
- Cycle to work 8 miles
- fruit (maybe a slice of toast) for breakfast
- Eggs and tomatoes for lunch
- Cycle home 8 miles
- gym session
- Chicken breast and 750g's of vegetables

Weekend routine:
- whatever the f*** I wanted to eat including drugs and alcohol

Supplements:
- mdma on weekends

Lowering my body fat enough to have a 6 pack was hard - probably easier if I didn't binge every weekend but I love s*** food and needed that short term goal to keep going and it worked for me anyway.

09:58pm 30/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17761 posts
I heartily endorse your supplements ctd
10:35pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1728 posts
Keto. is. bad. for. your health. The majority of weight loss from keto is water. Longer term keto is terrible. The irony is that keto is not a good diet (because it is unsustainable for long periods) and people do it to try and speed things up. Go read some science or even wiki. Btw you should know that keto is used to treat epilepsy.

You're right. I'm actually doing a deadline shred schedule which only lasts 6 weeks doing keto and slowly coming off it and it's not exactly the ketogenic diet for epilepsy treatment. It's 3 days low carbs, one day carbs and circuit workouts.

If you're looking for some good reading on bodybuilding and nutrition check out simplyshredded.com. It's awesome to see body shapes and then read what they eat and what their training regime is.
11:06pm 30/01/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3869 posts
If I could have my time again, I wouldn't have had such a huge calorie deficit. Losing up to 2.5 KG a week was nice right until the part where you end up spending years trying to gain some lean mass back.
11:36pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
4022 posts
you live in london ctd with all that cycling?
11:41pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Karmadelik
Brisbane, Queensland
215 posts
so whats the difference between Keto and Atkins? They sound the same to me.
I like the idea of Atkins because you can eat as much food as you want, just cut the carbs out/minimise, though I heard the body needs carbs eventually so yer its unsustainable in the long run.
11:42pm 30/01/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3373 posts
General rule but Aus 'fat burners' are crap. Aussie manufacturers dont have access and cant use strengths that USA supps can. There are also plenty of USA brand supps that produce s***house Aussie versions of their products because the USA version wouldnt be allowed. Muscle tech's hydroxycut comes to mind where their AUS formula is weak as piss compared to their USA formula.

For proper strength USA products, ive never looked into the supplements but i think there is some evidence to them. They mainly contain stimulants to make u all jittery and on edge which helps to increase calories burnt through extra movement. Forget the proper term but its the name given to the extra calories burnt in person A who cant sit still on a chair and constantly fidgets, moves etc compared to person B who sits there for hours on end with minimal movement.

IMO a reasonable diet is key. Too hardcore or strict and chances are you will give up after a while, binge, gain weight, feel bad, binge more etc. I think aiming to increase consumption of lean proteins, veg, fruit, good fats and reduce carbs and especially refined carbs is what most people should do. Exercise is important but not really for the calories burnt. Its more for the appetite suppressing, mood boosting and numerous other effects that are beneficial to help you lose weight.

If you really want a supp, look into carnitine. There are a variety of forms available with acetyl-L-carnitine (ALC) one of the most popular. Supposedly helps to increase the efficiency @ which your body converts stored fat to energy but this ONLY occurs when you get your calories and carbs low enough to be deficient. Carnitine also might help with mental performance and reducing mental and physical fatigue. Ive not looked into it but have seen and heard things over time. If you buy it, go powder IMO cause its cheaper and do like 2g morning + 2g night. Thats 8 caps or 4 tabs which most people dont do. Just do 1/2 a flat teaspoon in a little bit of water n shot it, tastes sour like lemon.

Also, try to stay away from most meal replacement products like the fat blaster mentioned. Most of them are milk powder and sugar - cheap, crap ingredients. Try to eat healthily instead and if you really want a meal replacement aim for something whey or casein protein based with minimal sugar (artificial or natural sweetener instead).
11:48pm 30/01/13 Permalink
ctd
UK
10221 posts
you live in london ctd with all that cycling?

Yeah cycle through London. Not too bad.
11:49pm 30/01/13 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1755 posts
come to thailand, i've lost 8 kgs in about 10 weeks doing nothing but boozing and eating

granted, i lost 4kg of that during a 4 day stint with a stomach parasite, holed up in my room in a village in northern thailand, but antibiotics soon squared that away and i've lost 4 extra kgs in the 8 weeks since then by doing nothing!
185cms and 70kgs starts to be a little thin though and some of my shorts don't fit properly now :(
11:52pm 30/01/13 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7718 posts
Yeah buy the supplement from me I'll take you money :)

But seriously, do more aerobic based exercise to supplement your weight sessions to lose weight fast. Running will do that for you easily. This is a reason why boxers and fighters still _run_ no matter their skill level. Not only it helps with fitness, it also cuts the weight quickly as well (supplement to their other training obviously).

If you don't love running and need motivation, come to do community based runs like Parkrun (http://www.parkrun.com.au/events/) there are few around the place depends on where you live. It's totally free and run by volunteers. Great community spirit and have plenty of people that have different degrees of fitness from elite runners to walkers so you won't feel you need to run hard the whole 5 km. This will get you hooked and do your run consistently. Coupled that with healthy diet your weight will melt away fast, and by fast I mean in about 3 weeks.

Sorry no magic bullets, real weight loss takes time. Otherwise all you'll lose is pretty much water.
01:14am 31/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
515 posts
But seriously, do more aerobic based exercise to supplement your weight sessions to lose weight fast. Running will do that for you easily..

I remember reading about a study that showed that a very fast walk (think almost sprint walking) was basically almost as effective as running (it was worse than running, but not by much), but without the heavy impact on the knees.

You just need to get your heart-rate up and keep it up for a while. Riding a bush track, skating, exercise bike, swimming, etc. All those things are good for dropping weight if your knees can't handle the running (I have s*** knees sadly)
02:41am 31/01/13 Permalink
exo
Sydney, New South Wales
9047 posts
Dr Karl's "7 Words for Weight Loss":
Eat less, eat better, move your body.

/thread
06:21am 31/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35069 posts
If you don't love running and need motivation, come to do community based runs like Parkrun

you do parkruns opec?

i got nearly 30 up my sleeve between new farm and southbank.

they are a good event.
07:20am 31/01/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20985 posts
I'm doing that lite'n'easy thing at the moment, started a few weeks back and am dropping the KG's. Also walking home from work a few days a week (8km) and it all seems to be working....

Consciously cut back on drinking too so that helps.

About time I stopped being a fatty. Hopefully I can maintain this, though I do get cravings for chocolate or lollies and if I'm out and about it's always easier to get take away food but thus far I've managed to not partake in take away foods.
07:51am 31/01/13 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1500 posts
From what I am learning (my perspective is I'm treating it as a research project over the last month/2), its all about willpower and training your mind:

- Get rid of drinks that aren't water, this seems to be enough to tip the balance
- And its not just sugary drinks, milk has crazy amounts of calories (not saying its unhealthy in itself) - a small Ice Break has more kJ than a cheeseburger
- Calories in < Calories out
- The diet shake things aren't bad, the best thing about them is if you replace a meal or two with them a day, you train your body to eat less+smaller portions, and it can help you calculate over the period of a week what your metabolism is like
- Portion size is the key, not so much what you eat - again, water is your friend
- Exercise seems to be a waste of time so far - makes you feel better/healthier , but doesn't really influence weight-loss nearly as much as a single diet change (PS this is fun daily walking/cycling, not wasting half the day f*****g around at the gym instead of having a job)

08:26am 31/01/13 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7719 posts
you do parkruns opec?

i got nearly 30 up my sleeve between new farm and southbank.

they are a good event.

I sure do Spooky, I actually saw you there sometimes. I haven't been lately because I've been training for Tri and been swimming and running etc and Saturday is my day off.

It's such a great event, I never liked running that much but it got me hooked and since I started last year I've done 2xhalf marathon, 1 x marathon and planning to do Tri this year. :)
08:48am 31/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
526 posts
- Exercise seems to be a waste of time so far - makes you feel better/healthier , but doesn't really influence weight-loss nearly as much as a single diet change (PS this is fun daily walking/cycling, not wasting half the day f*****g around at the gym instead of having a job)

That's because you're building muscle, which weighs more than fat.

As I said, I put on weight when I was lifting and being active, yet lost a lot of fat.

At my peak, I was about 110kg's, most of which was in my legs (I have giant f*****g bike-rider legs) and I was thin enough that you could see my abs, though they weren't well defined.

Right now, I've got a (SMALL!) gut and I'm at 105kg's and am noticeably larger, so yeah. Weight is meaningless a lot of the time.

A diet may shed weight, but exercising along with it will get you healthier.
03:13am 05/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35106 posts
I sure do Spooky, I actually saw you there sometimes. I haven't been lately because I've been training for Tri and been swimming and running etc and Saturday is my day off.

It's such a great event, I never liked running that much but it got me hooked and since I started last year I've done 2xhalf marathon, 1 x marathon and planning to do Tri this year. :)

should have said hi bro!

im doing tough mudder this year, so for training for that, i wanna do a half marathon. can do 10ks til the cows come home, this year its time to start upping the distance!
07:12am 05/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:12am 05/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.