We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Sim City Closed Beta
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15577 posts

Just played my first game of SimCity (time limited) and everything is pretty fantastic so far, few interface things that are a bit annoying, but that's probably more me getting used to it (I don't like the right click panning style), runs well enough on my old s*** box computer, but definitely going to upgrade for the finial game.
04:01pm 26/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:01pm 26/01/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6256 posts
just looked at this this morn. should run alright on the macbook pro
04:43pm 26/01/13 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
295 posts
I just got in the beta WOOOO!! so pumped
04:54pm 26/01/13 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
4435 posts
Played through, enjoyed it.

lots of stuff missing in beta, and having only 1 city in the region breaks the economy, but I was able to get about 25k pop and decent money in the hour.

Few tips: CTRL fills an area when zoning, and SHIFT locks to straight roads.

Also check your graphics options, it's set to 30fps by default. I set everything to high and it ran quite well.
05:04pm 26/01/13 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2862 posts
I really really enjoyed it. Played it about 4 times today and got better each time. I ended up with about 55k population on my last go.

The 'beta' is very limited, lots of buildings locked off etc, but it does give you a very good feel for the game, and I must say I really liked what I say.

Really looking forward to this in March.
07:14pm 26/01/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
3061 posts
12:59pm 27/01/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16552 posts
heh, a guy on reddit got banned from the beta forums for providing constructive criticism about the game.
02:10pm 27/01/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
3062 posts
heh, a guy on reddit got banned from the beta forums for providing constructive criticism about the game.

Stay classy EA.
03:00pm 27/01/13 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
296 posts
I just finished installing it today, got in/on fine played the tutorial then the timed 'demo' Had a really good time, I will be buying it for sure now, I'm not too fussed about the smaller city size as in SC2000/3000 and 4 I tended to focus on a small quadrant and make it as efficient as possible, so this is really just that with better simulation under the hood, I can see myself tinkering with this for hours on end.

Always being online / server tethered doesn't phase me, I've grown used to it through MMOs
03:40pm 27/01/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
3063 posts
Always being online / server tethered doesn't phase me, I've grown used to it through MMOs

But that is the point of an MMO, it's an online only multiplayer game. Doesn't make you any less used to it but I feel it's an important distinction to make.

I've played it a few times now and it's not too bad, a few gripes but nothing major.
09:51pm 27/01/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5348 posts
i want to buy it for sure, loving it but dont want to pay $99 for it!!
11:06pm 27/01/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
3066 posts
Had it close on me today at random, screen just went black for about 5 seconds. Then pop up in the top left corner says connection to servers lost, attempting to reconnect. Had flashbacks of Ubisoft DRM. Don't think I will support this with my cash.
07:46pm 28/01/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7620 posts
I really want to play the new Sim City, but banning someone from a forum for complaining about DRM is just not on.
If that's the way I can expect to be treated as a customer if/when I have problems, I think I might just have to pass on this game.
08:45am 29/01/13 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15578 posts
If that's the way I can expect to be treated as a customer if/when I have problems
It's a EA/Origin game, expect to get banned for buying the game.
08:53am 29/01/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11808 posts

Yep, I would say that since about 2000/2001 this has been situation normal for EA. Screw the customer, push crap out the door and we can fix it later. Now they push it out the door and the fix is probably DLC.
11:39am 29/01/13 Permalink
Darkhawk
Melbourne, Victoria
54 posts

HAHAHA, classic!

I played the beta, absolutely loved it. Worked flawlessly on my Q6600, 8GB RAM and GTX 460 on max settings so I wouldn't go too crazy if you're going to upgrade your computer just for this game.

The thing I'm looking forward to the least are server downtimes al la Diablo 3. Hopefully the server region for us Aussies doesn't get maintenance/updates during our peak hours.
04:36pm 29/01/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1281 posts
Is the beta finished? I downloaded it last night, servers have been 'unavailable' since.
05:23pm 29/01/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
3069 posts
Is the beta finished? I downloaded it last night, servers have been 'unavailable' since.

Yea, it ran from 25th to 28th. I presume they will have further test periods later.
05:54pm 29/01/13 Permalink
Darkhawk
Melbourne, Victoria
55 posts
Yea, it ran from 25th to 28th. I presume they will have further test periods later.

I certainly hope so, I'm having withdrawals already!
06:37pm 29/01/13 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15583 posts
Haha EA are jerks
Pre-Order SimCity Digital Deluxe Edition by January 31 and get 5 x $10 off your next Purchases*
But I'd rather a discount of SimCity because I beta tested it?! but wait...
Value of the voucher will appear as one coupon code of $10 in your cart at the moment of purchase that can be redeemed five times until the 29th of March 2013
So you're going to give me $10 off the next five purchases but I have to make them before March 2013?
10:26am 30/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:26am 30/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.