AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
Vigil Employees Open Up About Impending Closure, Reveal Details on D...
Steve Farrelly
Sydney, New South Wales
5740 posts
To continue the Vigil Games story in the wake of last night's THQ asset auction where, like the guy who didn't make the sports team cut, Vigil was one of the few pieces of "asset" no one appeared to show an interest in, and some of its talent is taking to the airwaves to lament.

"There was a shimmer on a slither of hope, that at one point, there'd be a Darksiders III: 4 Player Co-Op; It rode off into the sunset today," wrote Darksiders lead designer, and friend of the site, Haydn Dalton, via Twitter.

Over at Neogaf, lead combat designer at the studio, Ben Cureton, wrote an emotional piece about the "warzone" the studio is currently in and revealed his love of their unannounced project "Crawler".

"I knew, without a shadow of the doubt, that the project we were working on (Codenamed: Crawler) was going to blow people away," Cureton wrote.

"In fact, it DID blow people away. We did, in TWO months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying, it kept us coming to work and giving 100% every single day, even through the dark times."

The studio's original founder, comic book legend Joe Madureira, who left Vigil last year also chimed in on his Facebook page, writing "Man, if there isn't a single game publisher that sees the value of swooping in and buying a studio like Vigil Games I will lose serious faith in the game industry. And humanity".

It sounds like the end is nigh for one of the most talented young studios to emerge in recent times, and even if they manage to find work individually, the collective, it seems, will be gone. It would be awesome to hear some good news in the next few days, but based on much of what we've been following, it's not looking too good. We'll keep you updated though, so stay tuned.
01:03pm 24/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:03pm 24/01/13 Permalink
Crash
Sydney, New South Wales
1380 posts
I asked them the possibility of doing something like this and having all of the horsemen playable in a future title, it was early last year during an interview. Just pulled this from my transcribe.
"The team would love to have all four horsemen in an iteration of the game but it’s definitely going to take another game or two before we see that come into reality."

So did they manage to get that concept working in the current engine earlier than expected? Or are they talking about something different that would "blow people away"

Either way someone should definitely pick up these guys, a very talented studio. Theres some stuff on twitter going around that Platinum Games were shocked no one got them and seem interested.
01:44pm 24/01/13 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
14038 posts
The prices paid for the other studios varied quite a bit from $26M and $22M for Relic and Volition down to only $2.5M for THQ Montreal.

You have to assume that those value points are mostly to do how far along their current projects are, and by extension how much risk they represent to a buyer. With both CoH 2 and the Saints sequel (which was originally supposed to be DLC for Saints 3) known to be pretty far along, they would require less capital to see a return.

Whereas THQ Montreal and Vigil's current projects are likely in a much earlier state, and would need a lot more money to make anything back.

Montreal obv made sense to Ubi given their long existing presence there, and the tax incentives in the region. I guess Vigil in Austin, despite the talent at the studio (Joe Mad left a few months back), wasn't appealing to anyone that had enough cash to see whatever they were working on through to completion.

Someone will still end up buying the Darksiders IP when the rest of the legacy IP gets sold off, but Vigil as a studio can't continue to operate in the interim, and those guys gotta eat. So they'll be scattering to the winds.
01:58pm 24/01/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20565 posts
I got the impression that whatever that 'Crawler' project was, it wasn't darksiders related. Tis a shame, was looking forward to them growing as a studio and doing new stuff outside of Darksiders.
02:05pm 24/01/13 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
14039 posts
My guess is that crawler was the warhammer 40k project. Vigil were originally working on Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online, until THQ realised they couldn't pull of an MMO and announced that they would instead be converting the assets into a more traditional RPG.

Maybe the name crawler has something to do with Genestealers?
05:21pm 24/01/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1912 posts
Man that sucks so much >< I can't believe someone could be interested in buying f*****g homefront and not these guys
11:04am 25/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:04am 25/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close