AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Foxtel Question RE: Set top box (or whatever it is called)
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7875 posts
So after dropping in to see my grandma on the weekend and noticing that her s***** old TV was displaying such a weird res that the tennis score wasn't visible we grabbed her a new LCD (yuuuuuup).

In hooking all of that up though, her foxtel thing doesn't have HDMI, so is obviously old as s***.

Given that she is paying monthlies, can she just get them to send her a new one? I've asked her to call them but thought I would ask a few of you foxtel nerds as well.
11:15am 21/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:15am 21/01/13 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
904 posts
Yeah just tell em you'll cancel the subscription if not.

We got all our moving fees etc (4 set top boxes in my house) wavered by just asking, foxtel are usually pretty decent since they make a bucket load out of your subscription.
11:24am 21/01/13 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3599 posts
The SD set top box doesn't have HDMI - I think you need an IQ to do that.

Call them up and ask for the box which does HDMI, they'll try to charge you but then if your grandma has been with them for longer than say a year, they'll waive it if you complain.

11:31am 21/01/13 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15569 posts
Also, I don't think the old ones have component over the SCART connector
11:47am 21/01/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7876 posts
Righto, good tips ta
11:49am 21/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35010 posts
yer, foxtel dont dont hdmi for their normal boxes.

i just use scart to component for maximum qualities.
12:26pm 21/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9787 posts
SOme iQs dont have HDMI but they are rare now.
All iQs require $150 install.
Its very difficult to get around that.
Best to get the HD-iQ as its the same price.

If not then the best you will get from a standard box is Component.
That yellow blue green thing + L & R audio. If the box is too old it might only have Composite.
But it looks pretty crappy on new big screen TVs.

A few days ago Foxtel added two +2 movie channels.
Family +2 (for the old Movie package)
Action/Adventure +2 (for the old Showtime pack)

01:04pm 21/01/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10691 posts
Don't bother with HDMI and other fancy new tech for old people. They can't see or hear it properly anyway. My dad has a digital camera, I have to go around there every now and again to transfer the photos from the camera to the computer. Why would you own such a thing if you cannot use it.
01:06pm 21/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9788 posts
Ive helped a few rellys out with TVs STBs and one obvious problem is they are too hard to operate for the Elderley. There is no standardised button setup and the biggest problem of all, many Elderley ppl have Arthritis and poor Eyesight meaning its very difficult for them to push the correct buttons due to them being so tiny.

01:14pm 21/01/13 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3353 posts
SOme iQs dont have HDMI but they are rare now.
All iQs require $150 install.
Its very difficult to get around that.
Best to get the HD-iQ as its the same price.

Bulls***-o-metre is going haywire here. JMr they will wave the fee for IQ box but might try talk you into subscribing to the HD package to. If you play your cards right it won't cost you anything. My dad got ours in for free (IQ HD box).
01:27pm 21/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35012 posts
nah tiny, it depends on what package you have and how long you've been with them i reckon.

01:38pm 21/01/13 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4133 posts
03:56pm 21/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9789 posts
When was that Tiny ?
Whats his monthly spend ?

They are playing hardball with iQ installs now.
I think it might have something to do with installers demanding more money from Foxtel.

04:15pm 21/01/13 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3600 posts
You have no clue faceman.

I have most packages on my foxtel and I pay $45 a month.

If you've been a subscriber for more than 15 minutes you can get away with a hell of a lot. My parents were subscribers for something like 12 years in Brisbane - I called them up to disconnect one day (bluff) and they ended up reducing their package cost to $45 for 12 months and they had everything. Black IQ box, Movies, whole lot.
04:31pm 21/01/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16530 posts
last time we tried to get IQ they wouldn't budge on the price. we would have had to pay for the boxes and the monthly sub would have increased a certain amount.
04:55pm 21/01/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21186 posts
I just plugged our old foxtel box into the analog composite input on the back of the TV. I had to use some weird adapter thing that goes from 3 RCA plugs (video, left & right audio) to a 3.5mm 4 pole "headphones" plug, but the TV came with the adapter in the box. Easy as bro.
07:02pm 21/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9790 posts
setup to might give you options for a better picture though they are limited on the standard box. for instance setting picture to 16:9

09:02pm 21/01/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9846 posts
So after dropping in to see my grandma on the weekend and noticing that her s***** old TV was displaying such a weird res that the tennis score wasn't visible we grabbed her a new LCD (yuuuuuup).

In hooking all of that up though, her foxtel thing doesn't have HDMI, so is obviously old as s***.

Given that she is paying monthlies, can she just get them to send her a new one? I've asked her to call them but thought I would ask a few of you foxtel nerds as well.

I had this same problem..

I got mum onto the net instead.

She has http://www.abc.net.au/iview/ on demand (apparently that's a real big deal with older folks - they wan to listen and watch when they're good and ready)

...but she has Bigpond content on demand too.

Dad likes the cricket

I can see why this isn't going so well with the folks in old people's homes. Telstra doesn't seem to be aware of this :/

They are..

I hear the market for media is growing...
11:43pm 21/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:37am 23/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks