We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Game Director Jay Wilson Departs Diablo 3 Team for Another Blizzard ...
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
2340 posts
Diablo 3 Game Director and lightning rod for much of the game's criticisms has announced his departure from the D3 team, indicating a move to another project within Blizzard's Irvine, California headquarters (thanks Morax).
I recently celebrated my seven-year anniversary working on Diablo III, and while it's been one of the most challenging and rewarding periods of my life, I've reached a point creatively where I'm looking forward to working on something new. The powers that be at Blizzard have been gracious enough to give me that opportunity. Over the course of the next several weeks, I will be moving off of the Diablo III project and transitioning elsewhere within Blizzard. This decision was not an easy one for me, and not one I made quickly, but ultimately it's what I feel is right.

The first thing I want to assure you all is that this will not negatively impact our ongoing support of Diablo III. The game was not made by one person, far from it, and the team that poured their passion and considerable talent into it isn't going anywhere. We have lots of things planned for the future, and those plans will carry forward as normal. I also won't be abandoning the team, and will remain available to them during the transition period while we determine who will take over duties as game director.

To that point, you shouldn't be surprised if you see a job posting for a game director on Diablo III, as we want to make sure we explore every opportunity to find the best possible leadership for the project. We're looking forward to finding this person and hearing what kind of fresh ideas they can bring to the table.
That Wilson did not offer any hints on where he will end up suggests that it's not just the World of Warcraft or StarCraft II teams, but likely another unannounced project.
09:44am 18/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:44am 18/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17717 posts
Let's hope the new director makes things better!

what like starting again from scratch?
09:46am 18/01/13 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
2341 posts
what like starting again from scratch?

Haha basically.

I actually still enjoy D3 somewhat. If they ever implement a variety of gearing options then I think the core game concept isn't too bad. Patch 1.0.7 is opening up the ability to portal between acts which is great too.
09:50am 18/01/13 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21201 posts
He copped so much s*** over that game so I bet he'll be glad to move on to something else.
10:12am 18/01/13 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5379 posts
What's he gonna f*** up next though?
10:17am 18/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17718 posts
new wow director
10:21am 18/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1132 posts
What's he gonna f*** up next though?

Titan?

Speaking of which - has anyone heard anything about this?
10:29am 18/01/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20544 posts
Yeah, probably jumping onto Titan or another unannounced project, WoW or Starcraft 2 are already too established, can't imagine him jumping into either of those at this point (or maybe its more that I'm hoping he doesn't)
11:16am 18/01/13 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4077 posts
new wow director

Guess he cant f*** that up more than it already is.
11:19am 18/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1134 posts
Guess he cant f*** that up more than it already is.

haha yeah... have been playing a bit of everquest 2... it kinda reminds me a bit of wow vanilla... its free to play also... really enjoying it.
11:50am 18/01/13 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
874 posts
Titan?Speaking of which - has anyone heard anything about this?

I reckon they'll announce it at Blizzcon this year.
12:00pm 18/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1135 posts
I reckon they'll announce it at Blizzcon this year.

would be nice, the titbits of info released so far doesn't really excite though
12:42pm 18/01/13 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1727 posts
Diablo 3 taught me a good lesson. Don't buy in to game hype.
12:59pm 18/01/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1895 posts
lul, it took until Diablo 3 for you to learn this lesson?
01:10pm 18/01/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20546 posts
would be nice, the titbits of info released so far doesn't really excite though

What tidbits of info? Afaik Blizzard haven't released any info at all about it besides the codename, the rest is just rumour and conjecture.
01:23pm 18/01/13 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1729 posts
lul, it took until Diablo 3 for you to learn this lesson?

I don't generally get caught up in the hype, and when I do the developers generally deliver (Half Life2, Civ games, Total War games, etc.) but this was the first game I got at release that really didn't deliver.
01:57pm 18/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1137 posts
What tidbits of info? Afaik Blizzard haven't released any info at all about it besides the codename, the rest is just rumour and conjecture.

There was something a while back saying it was more 'casual and social' focused

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/29/blizzards-titan-a-casual-mmo/

There was a more in depth article somewhere but it was a while back.
03:12pm 18/01/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5703 posts
Someone explain to me why D3 is so bad?
03:16pm 18/01/13 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4079 posts
haha yeah... have been playing a bit of everquest 2... it kinda reminds me a bit of wow vanilla... its free to play also... really enjoying it.

yeah I never really tried everquest. im playing Eve online now.. though if my last 3 attempts are anything to go by, I probably wont be for long lol.
03:16pm 18/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1138 posts
yeah I never really tried everquest. im playing Eve online now.. though if my last 3 attempts are anything to go by, I probably wont be for long lol.

Eve was really slow imo.... only thing I would be interested in was huuuuge ship combat and last time I looked at it - it was going to take like 2 years to get out of the pipsqueak ships and into something a bit bigger - has this changed now?
03:23pm 18/01/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20548 posts
There was something a while back saying it was more 'casual and social' focused

Oh, thats pretty lame :(
03:47pm 18/01/13 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
258 posts
Someone explain to me why D3 is so bad?

It's not so much that D3 is bad in it's general game play. It's just more about some of the design decisions (the loot system and it's flow on effect with the RMAH, no offline mode, and some of the original monster abilities i.e. shielding for example) being a f*****g joke.
11:49pm 18/01/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1824 posts
D3 - I thought the graphics and basic gameplay was good, like D2 but with awesome 3d graphics and physics, etc. The storyline was boring and repetitive though, I really didn't get into it like I did D2 (which had a much better over-arching storyline which made the repetitive hacking worthwhile). When I got to the barbarian keep I just got bored and stopped playing.

I'm not hardcore so didn't get into all the design/gear/loot/etc issues the hardcores hate.

Edit: Also good riddance to that Jay dude, the way he handled the interview with the Diablo creator was first class poor leadership and childishness.
12:32am 19/01/13 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5110 posts
Major thing that many people had issues with in D3 I think is the itemization of the loot. I mean if it didn't have stamina and your primary stat on, it was often a bad item and just vendor trash. Made getting drops even worse than normal because not only did you have to farm for drops but you had to farm for the right type of stats on the randomly generated item which was a huge pain in the arse.

Then the RMAH came along and blizzard can't hear complaints over the sound of their money printing machine running 24/7.
12:41am 19/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13191 posts
it barely offered anything new considering how much time had passed since the previous instalment, it had utterly stupid itemisation of of loot because it's business model revolved around pushing people to the RMAH and giving more money over to blizzard to get items instead of feasibly being able to farm them yourself in a reasonable timeframe

they completely f***ed up the economy early on by letting a slice of early players farm a LOT of gold causing item prices on the gold auction house to inflate to obscene amounts, then nerfed the ass out of gold farming leaving most of the good items out of reach of the main wave of players - possibly another planned move to drive people toward the RMAH

then when we got creative with certain specs and beat the game without using exploits like a lot of the initial players did and without needing to spend millions of gold on the gold auction house or spend real coin on the RMAH, they started nerfing those specs so that they needed better gear to function as well

the server lag was horrible for the first x weeks or whatever, it didn't matter whether I played on US or on EU servers (where my ping is only 30-50ms), making hardcore a complete joke

I killed diablo on inferno solo on a barb and wiz, farmed acts3 and 4 for items for a few weeks to sell on the RMAH and got bored of it

the only saving grace was the blizz bucks I made on the RMAH paid for two copies of the latest wow expac and month's sub or something like that
01:47am 19/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7102 posts
it's not that it was bad, it was just only ok which for a champion thoroughbred with 11 years of prep equates to pretty f*****g lousy
02:01am 19/01/13 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1730 posts
it's not that it was bad, it was just only ok which for a champion thoroughbred with 11 years of prep equates to pretty f*****g lousy

This is probably the best explanation.

For me it was the RMAH. In D2 my friends and I would share items no hassles, in D3, everyone was a tight arse because they wanted to make some profit on the RMAH. To me, sharing loot was a big factor of what made playing with friends fun. The massive barrier that the RMAH put in front of that killed a huge aspect.
08:00am 19/01/13 Permalink
DoCZero
Melbourne, Victoria
152 posts
I found the story a little Meh... I didnt actually care for any of the characters and actually wasnt interested in the story. I'd like of like a little connection with why im killing 30million demons. However I do enjoy the game and i'd really love to see more content.
08:33am 19/01/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20550 posts
Yeah, the AH killed the loot aspect of D3 for me, and that was a big part of what makes Diablo fun. I mean, the RMAH was a gay idea, but even just the normal AH fundamentally changed the loot dynamic for the worse. Changed how people thought about their loot, like carson was saying, and also changed how much loot actually dropped since the AH was considered part of the upgrade path now. Getting your upgrades out of a loot pinata was fun and was Diablo, buying all your upgrades from the AH was not fun.
12:57pm 19/01/13 Permalink
Everlong
49 posts
I like how he has reassured us all that it wasn't just his solo awesomeness that made D3, but that other people helped him so you'll still get patches and stuff -.-
10:47pm 20/01/13 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5111 posts
Let's hope his new job involves sorting stuff in the mail room where he cant effect any games they make in the future
10:56pm 20/01/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7426 posts
The game was not made by one person

Oh, how humble of him ....

Is there some sort of a reverse-kickstarter site, where you can pay for someone to not be involved in something in future?
11:05pm 20/01/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9909 posts
D2 > D3
11:18pm 20/01/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2244 posts
The game is actually starting to get good now however it's too little too late. 1.07 is how the game should have been released and it is a shame it wasn't or at least to close to that.
12:08am 21/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1143 posts
Oh, how humble of him ....Is there some sort of a reverse-kickstarter site, where you can pay for someone to not be involved in something in future?

lol'd
10:56am 21/01/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16532 posts
from his twitter page

Game Director @ Blizzard on an unannounced game. I like games, especially Blizzard ones, and anything that has the word 'Warhammer' on it.

rumour is that it's warcraft 4
08:59pm 21/01/13 Permalink
Poorping
3 posts
After D3 ill never look at blizzard the same ever again. As far as I'm concerned Blizzard have become nothing more then a gaming superpower that doesn't care about you as person but only how big your wallet is.

Shame on you guys for scamming the world!
09:38pm 21/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7107 posts
a new warcraft that doesn't include the words world or of would be awesome
09:49pm 21/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:49pm 21/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.