We take a look at inXile's cRPG successor Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 Reviewed
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Recommend me: Solar Hot Water Systems
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6077 posts
New place doesn't have any solar at the moment, I'd like to put up a hot water system.

I would like a system with the booster above the water panels so the hot thermal liquid naturally rises to the heat transfer coil and the cooler liquid drops to the panels. We have this at our other place and we never need to switch the electric booster on, always off at the breaker meaning hot water is tots free. I've heard the serated units with only the panels on the roof still need to pump water up and back to the boiler which is next to the house.

What are your solar water recommendations?
10:59am 16/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:59am 16/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3777 posts
Why just solar water and not the whole panel thing to subsidise an electric storage system? plus then you get some bill relief for your A/C and general power.

Just before Xmas we got a 2.76kW on 24 months interest free from Origin. costs me $187 a month. Very easy to arrange and deal with, I was impressed.

Can't advise on savings yet as we got it installed towards the end of last bill cycle so our bill arrived based on pre solar. Our average summer bill can be anywhere from $700-$900 p/qtr because we have everything electric. pool pump, water, cooking, 3 x A/C inverter style (1 is 10 years old so looking to swap that out) other 2 are 4 months old.
11:39am 16/01/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2237 posts
Chiming in to pimp my solar (not hotwater)
http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=16856&sid=14645
04:23pm 16/01/13 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6078 posts
We've got solar electric and water at our other house in Karalee, bills went from $650 to $40 the last one just gone was $10 dollars credit.

Problem getting solar electric now is no more buyback from the government. We get 56 cents at Karalee locked in for 20 something years, 50 cents of that comes from the government, new contracts no longer get the 50 cents at all so it's just the 6 cents which means the outlay isn't really worth it.

Solar water however I assume should still be worth while?

Nice dodgymon you enter those figures manually or auto from your inverter?
11:18pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13274 posts
F**les, don't expect that 50cents to last the 20 years. I'm expecting the govy to retract it.
11:34pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13877 posts
Chiming in to pimp my solar (not hotwater)
http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=16856&sid=14645

That's a pretty cool site, haven't seen that before. Interested in your answer to f**les question as well.

Site says you are exporting at $0.60/kWh though - is that right?
11:43pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2238 posts
I have a fluksometer connected via cat6 (also supports wifi)that meter the points and no my usage readings are not correct all the time. Because the meter can't yet tell which direction the current is flowing. How much being used would need a simple rule to fix the problem but at the moment pvoutput doesn't support 2 inverter outputs as well a rule on the meter. I would imagine they would include this soon otherwise my other solution is to rewire my meter box so grid power is separate from the solar.
11:59pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2239 posts
http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?page_id=312
Aussie distributor for the fluksometer.

Because the export is wrong I never bothered setting the export $ value so no that is wrong as well.

I tried to ring my electric company today to see what export rate I am on but they couldn't tell me. I will find out next bill I guess.
12:07am 17/01/13 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1702 posts
Bloody clouds affecting mine ATM.
http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=14465&sid=12313

Usage is patchy, comes from a qld energy smart efergy unit, with an efergy hub and a custom php script o upload.

We aslo have solar hot water, (dulux? Electric boost storage).

In NQ so have the electric booster off , always hot and if not we also have instantaneous gas hot water which is cheaper then turning on the booster as well.
04:27pm 17/01/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10684 posts
Solar Electricity isn't worth it right now, unless you can DIY it a bit and are an electrician or can get one very cheaply. It was worth it 6 months ago until Campbell changed the rules, and it will be worth it in the future when the technology improves.
Though if I could easily afford it, maybe I would just get it done anyway. Also windmills.
04:43pm 17/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34991 posts
yer, very happy with my solar install as well.
3.2kw system and we've been seeing 20kwh's a day generated at 54c.

our bill went from $600 a quarter, to $4 for the last.

sure glad i got in before campbell ruined the scheme.
04:47pm 17/01/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8714 posts
^ how much did the system cost you?
04:56pm 17/01/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2241 posts
My 5kw system cost me $9600 after the rebate but mine was on an asbestos roof so probably $1000 more than normal.
06:08pm 17/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34992 posts
^ how much did the system cost you?

could have gone cheaper, but i liked the mob that did our install, and we got a frenchy inverter and slightly fancier chinese panels.
06:14pm 17/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:14pm 17/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close