We take a look at inXile's cRPG successor Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 Reviewed
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Surface with Windows 8 Pro
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7865 posts
Can anyone find an expected release date for this?

MS is pretty vague on the website?

Ta :)
11:13am 14/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:13am 14/01/13 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1483 posts
I thought it was Q1 2013 - though that was ages ago (before RT was released)
12:20pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11797 posts

Some of the MS stores in the US are saying January 26. Price tag is a bit heavy though, $900 in the states or something like that?
12:21pm 14/01/13 Permalink
BoDGie
Brisbane, Queensland
607 posts
Price tag is a bit heavy though, $900 in the states or something like that?

Compare the price with a similar specced laptop, not an iPad/Android tablet
12:25pm 14/01/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2914 posts
Yeah $900 sounds like a pretty good price to me, SSD, an i5 Processor and 1080p resolution screen would set you back close to a grand for a regular laptop.

I had a go of the RT surface at JB's the other day, I couldn't really tell what was different between it and the normal version of Windows 8. The keyboard case thing is really s*** though, it'd be impossible to type at any decent pace since the keys seemed to need to have pressure on them for half a second to register the press. It was impressive how thin it was but I'd rather use a proper keyboard if I wasn't using an on-screen one.
12:32pm 14/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1120 posts
The only reason I haven't jumped on the surface already is because no one is really supporting win 8 RT... its Achilles heel seems to be the app store and lack of community acceptance.

Notch seems to be leading some vendetta against it...

Is this Surface with Windows 8 Pro going to be a standard install of windows 8 pro or just a renamed windows 8 RT Pro gimmick?

Is it still going to bang out 7 - 8 hours + of battery life with these new stats? as JMR said... site is very vague
12:58pm 14/01/13 Permalink
BoDGie
Brisbane, Queensland
608 posts
Is this Surface with Windows 8 Pro going to be a standard install of windows 8 pro or just a renamed windows 8 RT Pro gimmick?

It's standard install of Windows 8 Pro and will run any x86/x64 apps.

Is it still going to bang out 7 - 8 hours + of battery life with these new stats?

Apparently only 4.5hrs battery life
01:08pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13362 posts
Its a full install of Windows, not RT.

I'm keen on one, but I'm unsure about MS hardware in this sense. I'll have a look at it but lots of companies are about to launch hybrid notebook / tablets with Win 8 pro so I wouldn't focus on the MS version alone personally.

This thing looks good but 20" might be a bit big! http://www.sony.com.au/product/svj20215cg

edit: also seems to lack hdmi out, wtf sony?
01:14pm 14/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1121 posts
Apparently only 4.5hrs battery life

f***
02:12pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2132 posts
yea the low battery life of the i5 tablets is the only reason I haven't picked up a Acer W7 or a Samsung ATIV Pro. Even the 4.5 hours is generous depending on what you are doing.

I am hoping that the Asus Transformer Book which comes with an extra battery in the keyboard dock will get it up to ~8 hours.
03:50pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1352 posts
I am looking at the Surface Pro as a desktop replacement at the office, battery life isn't going to bother me too much.
05:01pm 14/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1122 posts
I am looking at the Surface Pro as a desktop replacement at the office, battery life isn't going to bother me too much.

But how to 4 monitors?
05:31pm 14/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:31pm 14/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close