AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think.
Hearthstone: Naxxramas' Cursed Review
Any Aircon guru's?
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1249 posts
Quick question.

My wall Aircon at home seems to be a bit strange.
It'll blow cold for an hour or two and then seems to pretty well blow like a fan.

Turn it off for awhile and back on and it's cold again.
I thought perhaps (after some googling) it might have been the coil or pipes freezing over at first by manually having the fan speed only set to low but I don't think this is the likely case anymore.

Usually only run on ~25' deg. setting, but setting it lower doesn't seem to change much (i.e. its not just reaching 25' in the room and adjusting).
12:52pm 13/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:52pm 13/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7093 posts
sounds like the fan at the box stops and doesn't come back on.
I know not how to remedy this.
01:25pm 13/01/13 Permalink
scooby
Brisbane, Queensland
4524 posts
ooaa.. if its icing up, youll be able to tell by looking under the filter at the cooling coil.

icing is caused by insufficient airflow over the coil, or low gas charge (very unlikely seeing as it works ok to begin with)

so always run the fan on high

otherwise, cutting out after an hour or 2 is caused by the compressor overheating.
so make sure the outside heat exchange coil is clean, can even give it a bit of a hose to make sure its clear of dust and breathing well.

cheers dais for the headsup to this thread :D
01:27pm 13/01/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1250 posts
Hm thanks. So pull the big box with the fan (outside unit ) apart/off? When its no longer.blowing cold I can hear the outside unit still rumbling away
01:48pm 13/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3763 posts
gas leak? i got some new ones installed late last year and they stuffed one of the joins so all the gas had leaked which caused it to blow for a while then nothing.

run it and spray some soapy water over any pipe work joins
01:52pm 13/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9760 posts
Ive got one of those Box air-cons on the computer room.
It sits outside the room but high up under the house.
Should i hose the box to clean it ?
I was thinking an Air hose would be better but I dont have one.

Its prolly something to do after Summer so any water will dry away ?

How do you clean them ?
Are they meant to be cleaned ?
02:03pm 13/01/13 Permalink
scooby
Brisbane, Queensland
4525 posts
hose that muddafugga with a medium spray, not too heavy. the outside bit is designed to survive rain etc. hard work to pull it out of the wall. just hose it in place.

box units = unlikely to have a leak.
02:42pm 13/01/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1251 posts
So just hose off the unit on the outside? righto, its not hard up against the house.
Have to run to work but I'll try hit it with the hose on a shower type setting.
Looks like radiator in the holes that I can see, doesnt look too dusty or anything but I'll give it a go.
02:44pm 13/01/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1252 posts
Alright hosed it off. It didn't.look dirty at all though. Aircon at.the moment blowing cold (has been off for the last couple of.hours) . Off to work.but.ill have my.wife.see how long.it lasts
02:58pm 13/01/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1253 posts
I should have been clearer that mine is a split system.
After the hose off Aircon was on and.fine for a solid hour before.my.wife had to go out. Aircon then off.
Will recheck tomorrow.
Is it likely to.be.gas if.it.runs fine for.that long Scooby?
06:47pm 13/01/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21129 posts
what.the.hell.is.with.all.the.full.stops.in.your.posts?...
07:26pm 13/01/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9827 posts
My wall Aircon at home seems to be a bit strange.
It'll blow cold for an hour or two and then seems to pretty well blow like a fan.

the 'condenser unit' makes the air 'cold'

it can be 'fixed' with replacement parts if your unit is modern enough to have them available (sound familiar) though I wouldn't bet the bank on it.

*note to self - get out of IT.. get into air-con*

09:18pm 13/01/13 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5377 posts
I should have been clearer that mine is a split system.
After the hose off Aircon was on and.fine for a solid hour before.my.wife had to go out. Aircon then off.
Will recheck tomorrow.
Is it likely to.be.gas if.it.runs fine for.that long Scooby?

If it was a problem with the gas it probably wouldn't cool at all. It is either icing over in the evaporator (internal unit) or the condenser is dirty and blocked (external unit). I think I've got that the right way around.
09:30pm 13/01/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1254 posts
@Whoop. Because I was posting from my phone, I hit the . Instead of spacebar when trying to type quickly.
Thanks reso.
(I just hosed off the fan part and the big radiator fins which looked relatively clean already. Plus whatever is behind it would have gotten a hose off). Hopefully that's all that was needed. It hasn't really been used for 12months if that also has any bearing?
01:02am 14/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:02am 14/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close