AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think.
Hearthstone: Naxxramas' Cursed Review
Computer Help!!
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8694 posts
Afternoon,

I treated myself to some new pc components today. Everything went together fine, booted up first go and I installed Win8 - all good.

After a few hours of it running I decided to put in my video card, ATI 6770. Put it in and got no picture. Reseated the card, checked the power cable going to the video card, all good. But still no picture.

I then took the card out and reverted back to the onboard video. And now there is no picture from the onboard video :( I've tried both analogue and digital connections and tried my sons monitor (analogue only) and still nothing......

When the cable is connected to the monitor and not to the pc the monitor indicates this, when I connect it the pc (on or off) the monitor goes into sleep mode - so I'm guessing the monitor is happy with the connection to the pc.

But turn on the PC and I get nothing...... any ideas please?

i3
Asus P8B75-MLX
Win 8

The video card (which was pulled from a working pc) is a Powercolor HD6770 - although I'd be happy just to get the onboard going again.

As i said it was working perfectly, now no picture from anything :(

Cheers
07:31pm 12/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:31pm 12/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34939 posts
did you plug in the extra power cord for the video card?
07:34pm 12/01/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8695 posts
Yep.

I've taken the video card out now and get nothing from the onboard, both analogue and digital....

I didn't touch anything else. I just put in the video card, got nothing, so took it out. Now I don't get onboard :(
07:42pm 12/01/13 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1136 posts
Sounds like its gonna be one of the pain in the ass issues that just don't seem to make any sense :(

Do you get any beeps or anything during POST?

Have you got another PCIe card to try? If you get it running you can then disable it via the BIOS and force the onboard
07:47pm 12/01/13 Permalink
flatbeat
Brisbane, Queensland
616 posts
Reset your BIOS, onboard video may have been turned off when you installed the new card. Definitely something funky with the card and pcie slot, hope nothings shorted.

07:47pm 12/01/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8696 posts
How do I reset the bios when I con't see anything?

Cheers
07:49pm 12/01/13 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1139 posts
Haven't done it in years, but from memory there should be a jumper on the mobo which can clear it. If not, I'm sure you can also remove the BIOS battery or something. Might be worth hitting up youtube to see some instructions.

Been so long since I needed to :/
07:54pm 12/01/13 Permalink
flatbeat
Brisbane, Queensland
617 posts
There should be a hot key for it, on most boards its the HOME key. Or you can take out the battery on the motherboard for a minute.
07:55pm 12/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34940 posts
How do I reset the bios when I con't see anything?

read your manual bro
08:20pm 12/01/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8697 posts
Yeah I did, moved the jumper across for 10 secs+ and back - still no love.
08:27pm 12/01/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1366 posts
Reset your BIOS, onboard video may have been turned off when you installed the new card.
read your manual bro

+1 I'm throwing in my 2c into this.

Do you get any beeps or anything during POST?

HIGHLY unlikely these days as most cases don't come with 'PC Speakers'.
SFA in the way of motherboards come with em either anymore.

EDIT: what are the outputs on the video card?
(you aren't using any exotic adapters or anything are you?)

What is the 'onboard' video?
is it actually a feature of the motherboard or is it one of the on-die GPUs (think HD2/3/4000)?

If it is literally an onboard video chipset, flick through the manual and see if there's a jumper you can set to disable it.

Yeah I did, moved the jumper across for 10 secs+ and back - still no love.

Last time I reset a CMOS it was a case of turn the whole system off.... switch the jumper... power it up (and leave it for 10-30 seconds) turn it off again and refurbish.
08:29pm 12/01/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9895 posts
Most people back in the day that had a broken PC would just turn up at QGL and expect others to fix it... so I suggest going to the next QGL and getting it fixed there!
08:42pm 12/01/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3859 posts
Does your pc do anything when you turn it on, hdd access light flick at all? You sure you didn't dislodge another piece of hardware when you put the video card in?

If you get no hdd access light at all, start looking at reseating things like memory first and then cpu.
08:49pm 12/01/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8698 posts
Success!! Posting from it now.

Damn I was getting pissed off, I was thinking I may have damaged the MB - thanks for the tips peeps.

I dunno what fixed it.

I tried the battery out - nothing
I tried the jumpers - nothing

So I disconnected everything, put it on its side, took out battery (again) and moved jumpers across (again). While I waited the 10 odd seconds it says to in the manual (to reset bios) I disconnected and reconnected all cables and resat the RAM.

I put the battery back in, moved jumper back across, connected up external cables and now it works.

So I suspect when I put in the video card I may has dislodged one of the cables or something, dunno. All I know is I'm not going to try putting in the video card again until tomorrow......

Win8 seems pretty cool, very different though.

Cheers
08:56pm 12/01/13 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7654 posts
i was gonna say.. pull everything out including ram.. reset the mobo and start again
09:15pm 12/01/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3735 posts
Sounds like ram got knocked.

Right click the start tile in the bottom left and go to control panel and go to 'default programs' (after you've installed everything) and give your usual programs their defaults, vlc, picture viewer, etc or you'll get pissed off when it starts a Metro app, it's very jarring till you get used to it.

Use metro like a fullscreen start menu at first with some added info on it (weather, etc) and then start using the metro apps as you see fit. Will make it easier and less jarring.
10:17pm 12/01/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13265 posts
I have a GTX 650 that refuses to work in Windows 8 64bit, it works fine 32 bit. Not sure what the deal with that is. It is on my lesser computer so I don't mind much.
09:05am 13/01/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13266 posts
I have a GTX 650 that refuses to work in Windows 8 64bit, it works fine 32 bit. Not sure what the deal with that is. It is on my lesser computer so I don't mind much.
system
Internet
--
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.