Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Origin vs Maingear Gaming Laptop Help!
Queestce
Brisbane, Queensland
5 posts
G'day all,

First post! Sorry, yes, it's both a help thread and about a laptop for gaming... I realise such a thing is exorbitantly expensive and many people seem to reply to these threads with no info other than "you know you can buy a desktop with those specs for 1/4 the cost". But I'm in a situation which dictates that I cannot have a full desktop setup, and need something "portable". Obviously a 17" laptop isn't too trim, but it's a lot easier to move around than a full desktop. Anyway, the problem remains...

I was fairly keen to go ahead and buy an Origin EOS17-SLX but have just come across the Maingear Nomad 17 and am now considering going for that instead; mainly due to the price. For a much better spec'd build the Maingear is cheaper than the SLX (pretty comparable to the 17-S). I just wondered if anyone on here had any further info on either of the machines/companies and reasons one might be better than the other? They are both pretty ugly, generic cases, but the only real advantages I can see of the SLX is the programmable keyboard led's (wank factor) and the clickable trackpad. I suppose the ability to fit run two GPU's could also be handy, but if I want to upgrade I'm hoping it won't be until a much more powerful single GPU is on the market anyway. In any case if anyone has any pointers or advice on any of the Maingear/Origin machines I'd love to hear em!

Cheers all,

Tk
06:05pm 09/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:05pm 09/01/13 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1354 posts
I've never heard of Origin or Maingear so I dont have anything to offer there.

dunno if it helps, but there was a thread about gaming laptops posted just the other day
http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/3265550
06:23pm 09/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34908 posts
id just buy a name brand laptop myself, would work out cheaper and probably easier to support.
08:16am 10/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:16am 10/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.