We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Aussie Scientists at it again!
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3736 posts
We've got a pretty smart bunch of nerds around here.

Australian scientists have produced a new two-dimensional material they believe could revolutionise the electronics market with thinner, faster and lighter gadgets.

article
03:53pm 06/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:53pm 06/01/13 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2898 posts
a little more quote for those like me who dont want to have to click links
Silicon chips have reached their limit in terms of speed and ability to store an electrical charge.
But RMIT University and CSIRO researchers have made a new flat material, made up of layers of crystal known as molybdenum oxides, which has properties that encourage the free flow of electrons at ultra-high speeds.

They say this could boost speed of communication and capacitance, the ability to store an electrical charge, using the same size chips as are used today.
03:54pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3639 posts
now, all we have to do is bring it to market, and hold onto the knowladge and profit!! (but in truth we will no doubt outsource it, and miss out on billions of dollars)
04:26pm 06/01/13 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2899 posts
quick get the patent in b4 the patent wars!!!
04:28pm 06/01/13 Permalink
syzk
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
50 posts
CSIRO's Serge Zhuiykov
RMIT's Professor Kourosh Kalantar-zadeh

yeap true blue aussies
04:43pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6739 posts
CSIRO's Serge Zhuiykov RMIT's Professor Kourosh Kalantar-zadeh yeap true blue aussies
Because Anglo-Saxons have always been here, right?
04:47pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3640 posts
if this video has taught me anything, that is all true aussie professors are named bruce

04:54pm 06/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7080 posts
plus it's the quality of the institutions, funding, support personnel and the wider scientific community here in general that makes us a world leader in all sorts of research s*** hottery
04:57pm 06/01/13 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6224 posts
straya c***

05:17pm 06/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22054 posts
CSIRO's Serge Zhuiykov
RMIT's Professor Kourosh Kalantar-zadeh

yeap true blue aussies
Stop the boats! http://i.imgur.com/P0fJF.gif
05:37pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3642 posts
(i think they flew over)
05:41pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13251 posts
plus it's the quality of the institutions, funding, support personnel and the wider scientific community here in general that makes us a world leader in all sorts of research s*** hottery

Just remember The Queensland and Federal Government have decided to withdraw funding across many universities to force their budgets into the black ASAP. Seems pretty short sighted, but o well. We don't need to keep our research efforts very high anyway, because our manufacturing industry is chippers .....
06:33pm 06/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
477 posts
Australian scientists have produced a new two-dimensional material they believe could revolutionise the electronics market with thinner, faster and lighter gadgets.
two-dimensional material
two-dimensional

Uh, what?

Not sure if bad journalism or fundamental shift in reality?
08:12pm 06/01/13 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6075 posts
I think they're trying to say it's really really flat or skinny.. But yeah I thought the same thing lol
10:11pm 06/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3737 posts

Seems like they were reporting correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene
10:49pm 06/01/13 Permalink
stinky
USA
3753 posts
but even an atom is a three dimensional object ?

still, if its on news.com.au AND wikipedia ... there's two sources so it must be true.
11:46pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Karmadelik
Brisbane, Queensland
202 posts
agree ^
1 atom is still third dimensional.

Edit: is 'light' classed as two dimensional? Would think so...
11:56pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Matt
USA
948 posts
If a material is very thin, i.e. a monolayer, then it can be considered a two-dimensional material. Graphene is considered a 2D material, for instance. Nanotubes are considered a 1D material.

In special transistors, the channel is made up of what is called a two dimensional electron gas (2DEG). While the thickness of this 2DEG is finite, its lateral dimensions are of course much much larger.
02:09am 07/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
478 posts
If a material is very thin, i.e. a monolayer, then it can be considered a two-dimensional material. Graphene is considered a 2D material, for instance. Nanotubes are considered a 1D material.In special transistors, the channel is made up of what is called a two dimensional electron gas (2DEG). While the thickness of this 2DEG is finite, its lateral dimensions are of course much much larger.

So basically, they're calling it 2d when it's not ACTUALLY 2d, but rather just really damn thin.

Oh science, why you exaggerate?
04:36am 07/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7083 posts

I'm withholding all interdimensional posturing until nerfy has weighed in with his definition.
09:33am 07/01/13 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4048 posts
We've got a pretty smart bunch of nerds around here

That's ok, all the budget cuts will fix that.
11:06am 07/01/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6302 posts
now, all we have to do is bring it to market, and hold onto the knowladge and profit!! (but in truth we will no doubt outsource it, and miss out on billions of dollars)

Australians never take their babies to term, they manage to get pregnant with an idea, maternally grow it to being a fetus but always someone overseas cuts it out and delivers it as a baby to raise and grow.

Number 1 reason is noone in australia funds things to make them marketable properly.
12:02pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7589 posts

It's an RMIT study. That should spell it out.

Disclaimer: Melbourne Uni employee ;p

But yes, I'm glad someone else picked up on this before I had to come in and dump on this thread ;)
01:08pm 07/01/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
868 posts
Just publish the full spec, wait for it to become ingrained tech, then sue for patent moneys years later is the CSIRO business model, like wireless.
01:11pm 07/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:11pm 07/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.