Grab yourself a beta key for World of Warcraft's fifth expansion right here!
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Beta Giveaway
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Sony Patent Reveals Potential Used Game Sale Suppression
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8356 posts
A newly discovered patent by NeoGAF user gofreak has re-kindled rumours that Sony might be looking into suppressing second-hand video game sales, something retailers like EB Games or US equivalent GameStop rely so heavily on. The patent was originally filed on the 9th of December last year, and details a method that could possibly stop used games from being played without any form of Internet connection.
In order to resolve the above-described problems, an electronic content processing system according to one embodiment of the present invention includes: a use permission apparatus provided for use in a recording medium that stores electronic content for a user of the electronic content; a medium drive configured to read the electronic content from the recording medium; and a reproduction device configured to reproduce the electronic content read by the medium drive. The medium drive has a security management unit configured to read from the recording medium an article ID that is an ID of the electronic content or the recording medium. The reproduction device has a security management unit configured to convey a reproduction entity ID, which is a reproduction device ID or a user ID, together with the article ID read by the medium drive to the use permission apparatus when the electronic content is to be reproduced.

The use permission apparatus includes: a use condition storage for storing a use condition that defines an attribute of an entity accessible to the electronic content; and a determining unit for determining whether or not a combination of the article ID and the reproduction entity ID conveyed from the reproduction device fulfills the use condition. The security management unit of the reproduction device determines a reproduction mode of the electronic content based on a decision result as to whether or not the combination thereof fulfills the use condition.
While the above text may seem like gibberish to some, the patent outlines that the system will use RF tags to determine whether the game has been played previously, and if so, makes it impossible to play. This new system could see the second-hand gaming scene pretty much deplete, however so far it is purely rumoured as to whether Sony's next-gen console will actually use it. Previously Sony has patented ideas, however has never acted on them so time will tell. The next Sony and Microsoft consoles are expected to debut at this years E3, so stay tuned to AusGamers for more.

For those looking for more information, you can browse the full patent over here. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below on what this might mean for next-gen consoles, good or bad.
03:19pm 04/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:19pm 04/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17657 posts
I'm a bit torn on this as when you buy a game it is yours and you should be able to do what you want with it

Then on the other hand i see how hard these EB c**** jew everyone with their second hand market buying for nothing more or less and selling sometimes quite a lot and would like to see them burn for it
03:31pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
284 posts
^^ hah yeah I want this just to screw EB, $80 for pre-owned Super Mario Galaxy 2!! - but over all it would suck
03:46pm 04/01/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5680 posts
A simple solution to what youre talking about paveway is to somehow stop comerical reselling of used games but still allow private reselling.

Anyway in the end it is the consumer who opts to choose to buy used games from EB.
03:46pm 04/01/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36635 posts
^^ hah yeah I want this just to screw EB, $80 for pre-owned Super Mario Galaxy 2!! - but over all it would suck
Apparently GameStop shares in the US took a bit of a dive on this news
03:53pm 04/01/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2908 posts
Wouldn't this be illegal in Australia under our consumer laws?
04:27pm 04/01/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16468 posts
if steam can get away with it than surely sony can.
04:32pm 04/01/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6294 posts
if steam can get away with it than surely sony can.

I think technically you could sell your account with steam which basically is that what you're asking for in bulk?
04:45pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8359 posts
I think technically you could sell your account with steam which basically is that what you're asking for in bulk?
According to their Subscriber Agreement you can't:
"you may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account, nor may you sell, charge others for the right to use, or transfer any Subscriptions other than if and as expressly permitted by this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use)."
05:17pm 04/01/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6296 posts
According to their Subscriber Agreement you can't:
Yeah but that doesn't over-ride law, which means in court it'd either be steam have to provide a mechanism for allowing you to individually sell your game, or like you currently can, sell your account.

It's not written in law that valve is an exception (in precedent or in some legal bs).
05:21pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3237 posts
Would love to walk through a store with a console or rfid system and lock all the discs.
05:22pm 04/01/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6297 posts
Would love to walk through a store with a console or rfid system and lock all the discs.

Much prefer to walk through public transport all day with NFC receiver accepting $1 payments from everyone with a NFC enabled swipe card/NFC phone with linked card.
05:23pm 04/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
473 posts
Joy. Then your console RROD's weeks after you get it and now you can't play all your games, unless they tie it to your account.

Even then, it locks out multiple account house-holds...
06:13pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20483 posts
Wouldn't this be illegal in Australia under our consumer laws?

When you buy software, you never actually own the software though do you? You just get a license to use it, so all you really 'own' is the physical medium, and this wouldn't stand in the way of you re-selling the physical medium, its just the license to use it that isn't transferrable, so I think it'd be a tricky thing to test under law.

If this went through, I can see there being something like if you pick up the game secondhand you can authenticate it and buy a license to play it from Sony for $xx, like the current system where they bundle those one time use codes with new games and if you buy it secondhand you can buy the code online for $10. That way they're still getting their cut and allowing games to be passed onto your friends or whatever, while still putting a damper on retail second hand game sales cos people aren't going to want to buy it from EB/Gamestop at a ridiculous price, then pay again when they get it home.
07:06pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13323 posts
When you buy software, you never actually own the software though do you? You just get a license to use it, so all you really 'own' is the physical medium, and this wouldn't stand in the way of you re-selling the physical medium, its just the license to use it that isn't transferrable

You own the right to use the software. They recently (rightly imo) ruled in Germany that making this non-transferable was bulls***.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57465746-92/eu-court-sale-of-used-software-licenses-is-just-fine/

If you sell someone a software license its a non-tangible asset and should be transferable under right of first sale, the same way you can sell a book or a movie. This sort of bulls*** shenanigans gives software development a bad name.
07:20pm 04/01/13 Permalink
kablekill
2 posts
interesting
09:06pm 04/01/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1360 posts
I can only hope that the 'next generation' of consoles get rid of physical medium.

I WOULD like the capacity to 'on-sell' my software licences (esp in systems like steam)
S***, I'd be happy enough if they'd allow me to at least 'loan/transfer' them (y'know, like you used to as a kid, 'borrow your mates games'...)
10:47pm 04/01/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1361 posts
Should be 'physical media' (not physical medium)
10:47pm 04/01/13 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1697 posts
Erm, isn't this going to fail anyway?

It's been proven time and again (DVD/Bluray/HdDVD), if the decryption mechanism is in the hardware you are just giving smart people the way to get around it.
11:45pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
171 posts
But the game market is struggling. How much did Halo and Call of Duty make off their last releases? Hardly anything!

08:08am 05/01/13 Permalink
tel
Brisbane, Queensland
45 posts
Here Sony goes again, shooting it self in the foot. And Sony wonders why their profits have dramatically declined.
12:13pm 05/01/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5682 posts
But the game market is struggling. How much did Halo and Call of Duty make off their last releases? Hardly anything!

Halo 4 made $300 million in its opening week. The game market is not struggling.
12:25pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Viper
Sydney, New South Wales
153 posts
MMM I wish I could make hardly anything :(
01:48pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6735 posts
Halo 4 made $300 million in its opening week. The game market is not struggling.
I think your sarcasm meter is broken.
01:50pm 05/01/13 Permalink
DaveU
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts
If Sony want to fail, this is the way!
09:13pm 05/01/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36641 posts
If you're interested in whether Sony will get away with this you should keep an eye on these two cases where the right of first sale is currently being fought in the US.

Right of first sale is:
....once you've acquired a lawfully-made CD or book or DVD, you can lend, sell, or give it away without having to get permission from the copyright owner. In simpler terms, "you bought it, you own it" (and because first sale also applies to gifts, "they gave it to you, you own it" is also true).
In a nutshell, the giant corporatroxes are trying their damndest to make it so that you definitely do not own stuff you buy; that it is merely licensed to you under conditions that they dictate.

It's not clear (yet) what effect this case will have here in Australia - not sure how, or if, the Free Trade Agreement will deal with this stuff - but it is a scary thing.
11:52am 08/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:52am 08/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close