We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
e-cigs, the way of the future?
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1323 posts
I just wanted to share with you something that's amazed me.. yeah I know it's pathetic and dumb but I've been a smoker for about 20 years, 10 of which has been with reluctance and very frustrating. My addiction seemed to rule my life and at times had caused depression and anxiety. I have two kids (Girl 8 & Boy 5) and they have never seen me smoke because I felt so ashamed.

I have in the past attempted to quit many, many times but because I am a weak c*** I never really found success even with patches and gum and all that other stuff until now.

A mate brought a e-cig to a poker game recently and I was very skeptical but impressed with the tech so I dove in and gave it a try and guess what, it's now been a week since I've smoked a real cig and am super stoked.. not only do I feel better for it but the simple fact that it's already paid for itself is an added bonus.

So if you are currently a cig smoker (Can't imagine many people are these days) don't wait, do yourself and others a favor and convert immediately. I have also learned that the AU Govt may be seeking to ban these as they are apparently unhealthy and promote young people to take up the habit.

I think there is an Aussie distributor but for those interested I got mine from the US http://www.v2cigs.com
12:27pm 28/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:27pm 28/12/12 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3853 posts
Was sure I saw some of these at the markets near eagle street last week.
12:37pm 28/12/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4479 posts
This will become super cool when Apple brings out the iCig
01:03pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13147 posts
europe needs to embrace these, stinky smokers everywhere
01:03pm 28/12/12 Permalink
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1324 posts
Some more info on AU Govt banning e-cigs.

I'm pretty sure our Government wants the tax monies from real cigies as opposed to un-taxed e-cigs..

Australia Health Authorities are Completely Missing the Point on E-Cigarettes
Health authorities in Australia have banned the use of electronic cigarettes because, as they argue, vaping mimics smoking and encourages people to continue smoking.

According to an article in the Canberra Times: "Canberrans keen to try smokeless ''e-cigarettes'' are running a legal tightrope, with the product banned across Australia despite its increasing availability online. ... The Australian Medical Association said there was no evidence ''e-cigarettes'' helped people quit, and Victorian AMA president Harry Hemley warned the products posed a serious health risk. ... ACT Health said e-cigarettes also encouraged people to continue smoking behaviour. ''Because e-cigarettes mimic smoking in both design and use, the ACT Health Directorate does not support [their use],'' a spokeswoman said. ''The Health Directorate strongly advocates the de-normalisation of smoking and e-cigarettes are counterproductive to this goal.''"

Link to content. Linky
01:11pm 28/12/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6278 posts
Health pro of e-cig vs cig; no passive smoking.

Health con of e-cig vs cig; nothing.

My friends mostly have switched to e-cigs which makes me, a non smoker, very happy.
01:31pm 28/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1458 posts
Theres two cultural problems with eCigs:

a) As stated, it doesn't come under the existing cigarette tax - governments won't support it (in aus that is, europe/US is a lot more accepting of them)
b) It disrupts existing social etiquette - can you eSmoke on a plane? In a cinema? Currently yes (minus some airlines) - which makes anti-smokers go mental because the media has trained them to

There is also the issue of nicotine in liquid form is highly poisonous - potential issues with kids chewing on the caps.

As for helping people quit, I've seen lots of people quit with them - at least for a time. And they don't cause fires, second-hand smoke, litter, and are cheaper - although some side effects do exist: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-09-02/e-cigarettes-not-tied-to-risk-of-heart-disease-in-study

If you want to quit, decide not to smoke, and buy the full length of patches (usually around 600$) - and make sure you tell everyone that you are quitting - use the social pressure for your own use. If you still can't quit, get something like champex - will make you feel like s*** for a while though. You also need to find a new reward system (if your daily routine is smokes between tasks). If you decide not to quit - enjoy and don't put up with s*** from anyone.
02:39pm 28/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17629 posts
europe needs to embrace these, stinky smokers everywhere

asia also

and sydney for that matter, i went down there for a music festival early this year and i was amazed at how much more noticable the smoking culture still is down there compared to up here, the c**** were sparking up everywhere around us all day

last edited by paveway at 14:49:42 28/Dec/12
02:43pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21093 posts
There is also the issue of nicotine in liquid form is highly poisonous - potential issues with kids chewing on the caps.
Can they actually harm you? Like someone goes ahh I'm not breathing in the bad smoke so I'll just burn through 50 of these e-cig things in 5 minutes to get a quick fix before I hop on the plane. Can you overdose on e-cigs? Or is it reasonably harmless by the time it gets to you?
02:49pm 28/12/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8752 posts
A few dozen people around the world worked together to get them to work with cannabis, unfortunately it failed... I have a box full of e-cig gear.

It got close at one point where people were using BHO with glycerin but it was a massive process to get the equivalent of a puff or two.

Just to clear that up if anyone was contemplating the idea.
02:51pm 28/12/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10425 posts
you went to a music festival and the most disgusting thing was some people smoking cigs?
http://25.media.tumblr.com/1fc4c5c1908c9d7df9e45b544e534e1b/tumblr_mf5n2cX64n1rbrm08o1_500.gif
02:56pm 28/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1460 posts
Can they actually harm you? Like someone goes ahh I'm not breathing in the bad smoke so I'll just burn through 50 of these e-cig things in 5 minutes to get a quick fix before I hop on the plane. Can you overdose on e-cigs? Or is it reasonably harmless by the time it gets to you?

Its mostly a controlled output - and its more like OD'ing on cigarettes - you feel too ill to keep at it before your dying on the ground. But if you switch between eCigs and traditional you might find that you've ended up becoming more addicted.

03:01pm 28/12/12 Permalink
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1325 posts
Yeah I'm not going to argue with anyone that this is healthy because it's not, getting addicted to nicotine is bad and there are some great and insightful comments in that news post. One of my first thoughts was, I bet the big tobacco companies are s***ting themselves.
03:06pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2434 posts
there was no evidence ''e-cigarettes'' helped people quit, and Victorian AMA president Harry Hemley warned the products posed a serious health risk. ... ACT Health said e-cigarettes also encouraged people to continue smoking behaviour. ''Because e-cigarettes mimic smoking in both design and use

Needs citation(s).
03:09pm 28/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1461 posts
and sydney for that matter, i went down there for a music festival early this year and i was amazed at how much more noticable the smoking culture still is down there compared to up here, the c**** were sparking up everywhere around us all day

Well, pretty much everywhere else is more tolerant of smokers (aka: leaving them in peace), I blame it on the conservative Queensland culture and the lack of a balanced press. Ironically the smoking rate is pretty high here (relatively), its just people here do it away from the public eye.
03:10pm 28/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17630 posts
you went to a music festival and the most disgusting thing was some people smoking cigs?

i wouldn't expect career old people like you to understand

Well, pretty much everywhere else is more tolerant of smokers (aka: leaving them in peace), I blame it on the conservative Queensland culture and the lack of a balanced press. Ironically the smoking rate is pretty high here (relatively), its just people here do it away from the public eye.

or maybe we realised a while ago that smoking is rehtard

last edited by paveway at 15:20:21 28/Dec/12
03:15pm 28/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21995 posts
which makes anti-smokers go mental because the media has trained them to
Yes we are all blind sheeple to the media who say that smoking is gross/dangerous.

By the way, how are the latest Apple products going?
03:18pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2435 posts
http://www.biomedcentral.com.ezproxy.library.uq.edu.au/1471-2458/11/786

The use of e-Cigarette substantially decreased cigarette consumption without causing significant side effects in smokers not intending to quit . Sample = 40

http://www.sciencedirect.com.ezproxy.library.uq.edu.au/science/article/pii/S0749379710007920

Those respondents using e-cigarettes more than 20 times per day had a quit rate of 70.0%.Conclusions
Findings suggest that e-cigarettes may hold promise as a smoking-cessation method and that they are worthy of further study using more-rigorous research designs. sample = 222

http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.library.uq.edu.au/docview/896451820

2 Case studies with patients with clinical depression. Both had success with ecigs

http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.library.uq.edu.au/docview/847582024

Good article on the issue, should read it if you can but pages 22-23 are relevant to thread;

there is now sufficient evidence to conclude that these products are at least capable of suppressing the urge to smoke. There is also reason to believe that they offer an advantage over traditional nicotine delivery devices ‘[t]o the extent that non-nicotine, smoking related stimuli alone can suppress tobacco abstinence symptoms indefinitely’

So to sum up;
- Not much literature on effectivess of use of ecigs as a cessation tool, but early studies seem promising (2 studies not enough to conclude though)
- Lots of literature on how e-cigs are still quite bad for you, but not as bad as smoking (esp. the nicotine free brands, although they show less effectiveness in reducing cravings)
- (my opinion) Trying to ban e-cigs is laudable. Black market will be easy and profitable (and worth the tiny risk for the suppliers). Other types of nicotine inhalers are not banned (but shown to be more harmful than e-cigs).. lastly the most glaring issue - ban e-cigs but not cigs themselves? Lol?

TL;DR - if you're trying to quit use the other quitting methods first (save for inhalers).

last edited by Phooks at 15:34:20 28/Dec/12
03:32pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2436 posts
Also seems to me that the benefit of e-cigs as cecassion tools outweighs the disadvantage of people starting up smoking -because- of e-cigs.

Some research needs to be done if e-cigs are a 'gateway drugcigarette'.
03:36pm 28/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1462 posts
Yeah I'm not going to argue with anyone that this is healthy because it's not, getting addicted to nicotine is bad and there are some great and insightful comments in that news post. One of my first thoughts was, I bet the big tobacco companies are s***ting themselves.

Not necessarily, nicotine itself isn't that bad - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Side_Effects:
- Nicotine increases blood pressure and heart rate in humans.
- Nicotine induces potentially atherogenic genes in human coronary artery endothelial cells.
- Nicotine could cause microvascular injury through its action on nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs),[60] however other mechanisms are also likely at play.

Its primarily the tobacco smoke thats the problem. As opposed to the side effects of nicotine itself:

Psychoactive affects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Psychoactive_effects):
- Nicotine appears to enhance concentration[49] and memory due to the increase of acetylcholine.
- It also appears to enhance alertness due to the increases of acetylcholine and norepinephrine.
- Arousal is increased by the increase of norepinephrine.
- Pain is reduced by the increases of acetylcholine and beta-endorphin.
- Anxiety is reduced by the increase of beta-endorphin.
- Nicotine also extends the duration of positive effects of dopamine[50] and increases sensitivity in brain reward systems.
- Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative/pain killer in increasing dosages and use.

And some other beneficial side effects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Therapeutic_uses):
- studies suggest that smokers require less frequent repeated revascularization after percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
- Risk of ulcerative colitis has been frequently shown to be reduced by smokers on a dose-dependent basis; the effect is eliminated if the individual stops smoking.
- Smoking also appears to interfere with development of Kaposi's sarcoma in patients with HIV.
- While tobacco smoking is associated with an increased risk of Alzheimer's disease,[93] there is evidence that nicotine itself has the potential to prevent and treat Alzheimer's disease.
- Studies have indicated that nicotine can be used to help adults suffering from autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy.
- Research at Duke University Medical Center found that nicotine may improve the symptoms of depression
- Nicotine appears to improve ADHD symptoms.
03:37pm 28/12/12 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2460 posts
I gave up smoking for about 4 months and went on to e-cigs.

I stopped using them due to getting a build up of gunk in my mouth, I can't be 100% sure it was from the e-cigs but i started getting the build up a month or so into it, and the gunk went away when i stopped using them.

Short of the gunk, using e-cigs was great.
03:50pm 28/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1463 posts
or maybe we realised a while ago that smoking is rehtard

Yes we are all blind sheeple to the media who say that smoking is gross/dangerous.

Irrespective of the state/country, the media reports that smoking is dangerous. My point was on the "gross and evil" sentiments that are way above average in Queensland. The point was made that there appeared to be way more smokers in Sydney (and being there a few weeks ago I concur), and I know that is feels that way in Melbourne as well (as anywhere you eat out there are smokers at the tables). So, Queensland appears to have a lot less smokers than other states.

However (and I know these are old but I can't find any newer ones that cover every state), the smoking percentages per state:
http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/chapter-1-prevalence/1-10-prevalence-of-smoking-in-other-high-risk-sub-

Queensland is the highest % of smokers (as of 2005). So a conclusion that can be made is that a high percentage of smokers in Queensland compared to other states are hiding their habit publicly.

A good read for the anti-smokers (I'm not even going to suggest correlation, but take from it what you will):
http://theconversation.edu.au/anti-smoking-signs-may-cause-people-to-reach-for-cigarettes-10729
03:58pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6718 posts
I'd say smoking is less popular in Brisbane but more common in the rest of the state.
04:10pm 28/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17631 posts
simul flying the smokers flag proudly
04:33pm 28/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1464 posts
simul flying the smokers flag proudly

Not really, I don't smoke, quit a while ago - because I chose to, not because someone told me it was disgusting.
05:01pm 28/12/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3281 posts
Mate has an ecig. Before he had 1 his frequent smoking breaks used to interrupt our gym / gaming / food sessions. Now he can ecig when he wants, right next to me without the smell / passive smoking issues. Plus he says they are healthier than normal smokes and cheaper. Not saying they are a health product or anything but banning them IMO is tax hungry bulls***.
05:01pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
15585 posts
Less smoke I have to breathe in, the better.
05:53pm 28/12/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4480 posts
Having never had a cigarette, I admit that I just dont get it. For the life of me, I cant understand why the f*** anyone would want to suck on burning weeds full of chemicals that can do such harm to them.
07:17pm 28/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2427 posts
Having never had a cigarette, I admit that I just dont get it. For the life of me, I cant understand why the f*** anyone would want to suck on burning weeds full of chemicals that can do such harm to them.

Having never smoked either, I also can't understand it. I can understand why you would continue to smoke once you'd started and were addicted, but I can't imagine how people would make the decision to start smoking regularly. The mind boggles.

Smoking itself is indeed disgusting though.. the choking smoke, the smell of your clothes, the stains on your fingers and teeth, the way your skin dries out and gets all old and wrinkled well before it should, the terrible bad breath, the disgusting cough... to argue that it's not is madness.

Smokers aren't necessarily "evil" but in my experience the majority are at the very least quite selfish in that they have little concern for second hand smoke and where they throw their cigarette butts. There is the very occasional one who has genuine concern for where their smoke is going and for not littering, but they're definitely diamonds in the rough.

Back on topic though, banning e-cigs is confounding, maybe it doesn't stop people smoking but it solves basically all the problems above. Does indeed seem like a move designed purely to save their tax revenue.
09:54pm 28/12/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
457 posts
Having never smoked either, I also can't understand it. I can understand why you would continue to smoke once you'd started and were addicted, but I can't imagine how people would make the decision to start smoking regularly.

For some, it's something stupid they do as a young impressionable teen to "be cool".

For me, I went to a lot of parties inside houses with lots of people smoking. Over time, I started getting cravings from the thick blanket of smoke that was always inside.

As for quitting, took me 10 years of smoking, then I finally woke up after coughing up something nasty looking (Took me longer than most to get to that point apparently) and said "f*** it".

Not gonna say it was easy, because it really wasn't. I still get cravings a few years on. It's just a matter of making your mind up and reminding yourself why you're doing it every time you have a craving / feel like being a little b**** and crawling back.

My younger brother (smoker himself) actually just picked up an e-cig himself and I tried it. It's not QUITE realistic, but it still feels pretty good. I can see how it would be a good way of quitting. Even if you continue to smoke e-cigs, it'd still be cheaper and healthier than normal smokes.

Also, Kos, some people actually enjoy smoking. Weird, I know, but if you havn't tried it you can't know how satisfying a smoke and a beer truly is. Still yet to find anything I miss as much as that.

The smoke wasn't choking to me even when I had my first smoke, though I'll grant you the stains. As for people not caring about the smoke, it's because even when we do try and move out of the way, some a******* will actually WALK INTO the smoke, then do that bulls*** fake *a-heh* type cough. After a while, you just stop caring. If they really are choking out that bad, then f*****g move somewhere else...
10:52pm 28/12/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8067 posts
I think it's much easier to quit now with smoking banned in pubs and clubs, it means the temptation to smoke when s***faced is reduced.

A friend who smoked for 20 years has now not smoked for 4 months thanks to a Dr prescribed PBS medication and those little 1.5mg nicotine pills. You need to not be prone to suicide though as the medication has some side effects
11:19pm 28/12/12 Permalink
ctd
UK
10191 posts
Forget the cancer... Long term smoking causes wrinkles and yellow teeth. F*** THAT S***.
11:39pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3979 posts
About 12 months ago while i was in the US there was a news report of a guy that lost his two front teeth when an electronic smoke blew up in his mouth. Aparently it was due to a faulty battery.
11:48pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20450 posts
Weird, I know, but if you havn't tried it you can't know how satisfying a smoke and a beer truly is.

Is that really smoking itself being satisfying though, or is it just satisfying because you're feeding an addiction/craving?
12:14am 29/12/12 Permalink
Karmadelik
Brisbane, Queensland
197 posts
ive tried nicobate patches, gum, mints, e-cigs, and champix.
For me the best method for quitting is the 4mg mints. The trick for me is to always have a pack in my pocket, and one under my tongue. If I dont have it on me the temptation to just go across the road and buy a pack of smokes is overwhelming, and I often still fall this way. Once ive got one under my tongue i soon forget all about it. And the rush of nicotine feels pretty cool too.

Actually just looking at my computer desk, theres like 4 or 5 of these nicobate mint packs around. Must be twice that many in my car :S Having said that, there like $32 for a pack of 3, regardless if its 4mg or 1.5

As for the e-cigs... yeah there great. Personally they dont produce enough vapour to convince me its smoke though, and they last like 15 mins before the battery dies (theres nothing worse than craving a cig and the e-cig batt dies). I had one where you unscrewed the cap and filled it with flavoured nicotine. I think the more common ones sell the caps individually and pre-filled?
12:33am 29/12/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7632 posts
quitting smoking is all about the right mind set and motivation.. my dad smoked 2 packs+ a day for all his life.. then he met a new bird.. she told him she didnt like smoking.. he quit and never smoked again

its all in your head
12:34am 29/12/12 Permalink
WirlWind
458 posts
Is that really smoking itself being satisfying though, or is it just satisfying because you're feeding an addiction/craving?

I dunno, but some nights after a few beers at the pub, a smoke was almost as satisfying as a BJ from a mildly attractive pub-wench.
01:02am 29/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1465 posts

Isn't it all relative at that point? Is the sweet first swig of coffee in the day the coffee or just the caffeine addiction? Chemically speaking though its a combination.

The truth about why people take up smoking - because it makes you feel good.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/glossaryofterms/g/Dopamine.htm
"A hormone and neurotransmitter in the brain that produces feelings of happiness and well-being. Research has shown that nicotine increases the level of dopamine in the brain, accounting for the pleasurable effect the smoker experiences when lighting up."

01:17am 29/12/12 Permalink
ElDubya
Brisbane, Queensland
583 posts
I have been an e-cig user for the last 8 months, and in that time, after smoking a pack a day for the last 25 years, I haven't even had a drag of a real cigarette. Yes, my e-liquid has 12mg/ml nicotine in it but if you do some research you will find that nicotine itself is no more harmful to you than caffeine is. In fact, there are studies and trials ongoing at the moment as to the benefits of nicotine in alzheimer's patients.

www.aussievapers.com

No need to join, just check out the Politics and Media thread for some reading material.
01:37am 29/12/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8091 posts
But what happens when the EM field from the e-cigs create a negative feedback loop on two people using the same phone in a 5m radius of me......

BRAIN CANCER!

Faceman?
02:50am 29/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34835 posts
mate of mine uses his ecig and love em. i say anything that helps people to quit is worthwhile.
09:40am 29/12/12 Permalink
D-Sub
Brisbane, Queensland
235 posts
Where's the best place to buy these from?
12:59pm 01/01/13 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
2372 posts
Best place by far is greensmoke.com
02:45pm 03/01/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36630 posts
My point was on the "gross and evil" sentiments that are way above average in Queensland.
That has nothing to do with the media though. Even most of the smokers I know don't like being around other smokers when they're eating or doing other things that aren't them smoking themselves!
04:43pm 03/01/13 Permalink
ElDubya
Brisbane, Queensland
584 posts
Best place by far is greensmoke.com

Incorrect.

If you require nicotine, www.healthcabin.net in China is the best value, one stop shop. If you don't require nic, there are TONS of good value Australian suppliers.

www.juicewhore.com
www.vapingmad.com.au (Brisbane)
www.vapebar.com.au
www.ecigmodshop.com.au

All these vendors have their own vendor section on www.aussievapers.com

11:50pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
4001 posts
Don't buy this s***, it cant be good for you
12:09am 05/01/13 Permalink
ElDubya
Brisbane, Queensland
585 posts
Don't buy this s***, it cant be good for you

Yeah, keep smoking cigarettes. That's infinitely better .....
10:53am 05/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3630 posts
www.juicewhore.com

ummm, the logo choice makes it seem this is for a whole different product
10:57am 05/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
475 posts
Incorrect.

If you require nicotine, www.healthcabin.net in China is the best value, one stop shop. If you don't require nic, there are TONS of good value Australian suppliers.

The real question is do you trust chinese QC?

I don't think I'd want to die of an accidental poisoning because they also make rat poison in the same factory and cut costs by not cleaning the machines (You'd be surprised what sort of s*** turns up in their medicines...)
11:13am 05/01/13 Permalink
ElDubya
Brisbane, Queensland
586 posts

I get all my unflavoured nic (to mix with Aussie flavours) from China. All my overseas flavours with nic I usually get from the USA.

last edited by ElDubya at 12:44:22 06/Jan/13
12:43pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4266 posts
deal extreme has a massive range of these, plus plenty of different flavours

I have not tried importing them though

They are under the 'hobbies and toys' section :p http://dx.com/c/hobbies-toys-899/smoking-accessories-815
12:49pm 06/01/13 Permalink
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1326 posts
Yeah I would not trust cheap knock offs at all, at least the v2's are made from all alloy/non-toxic materials. the starter kit cost ($100) compared to a few dollars for the cheap ones. The v2 refill cartridges only uses pharmaceutical grade nicotine and are batch stamped like any medication would.

Quit for three weeks now!
10:55pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Kimbo
Melbourne, Victoria
543 posts
Speaking of which I've got an interesting story...

A friend mine used to be a roll your own tobacco pouch smoker. But in 2011 he discovered a high heat disolving vaporizer. He swears that it cleared up his nose and he still smokes, but the cough and the sinus problems, he had are gone. The cough problem was gone by 2012. But he described it as he could just take a small bit of tobacco and it turn it into practically nothing and he would just breath it in.

As for me. I enjoy the odd cigar from time to time on New Years & Birthdays and usually from Nicaragua and the Dominican republic. Finer things in life, not really. But nicer things. Sure. Either that or I prefer the Turkish hookah with the nice flavoured procured tobacco. You can get good some good Nicaragua cigars from 20~35 from specialist tobacconists.
06:25am 08/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7085 posts
Been meaning to get onto this for quite a while, this thread inspired me to get on it.

Ordered the juicewhore carto starter kit and some unflavoured nic from healthcabin on dubya's advice, will report back with my findings.
10:28am 08/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
482 posts
Speaking of which I've got an interesting story...A friend mine used to be a roll your own tobacco pouch smoker. But in 2011 he discovered a high heat disolving vaporizer. He swears that it cleared up his nose and he still smokes, but the cough and the sinus problems, he had are gone. The cough problem was gone by 2012. But he described it as he could just take a small bit of tobacco and it turn it into practically nothing and he would just breath it in.As for me. I enjoy the odd cigar from time to time on New Years & Birthdays and usually from Nicaragua and the Dominican republic. Finer things in life, not really. But nicer things. Sure. Either that or I prefer the Turkish hookah with the nice flavoured procured tobacco. You can get good some good Nicaragua cigars from 20~35 from specialist tobacconists.

Vaping is generally the "safest" way of smoking anything. Doctors recommend smoking pot (medical) with a vaporizer instead of a joint / bong.

Not sure how that would affect tobacco, but it would still be much healthier than a normal smoke anyways lol.

And cigars / smoking while drinking = the one thing I really miss about smoking :(

If vaping tasted a little more like a real cig did (Port Royale bourbon tobacco <3) I'd probs pick it up just for drinking sessions.
01:31pm 08/01/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10638 posts
I have a mate who switched to e-cigs, I dunno, it was weird. He always saw smoking not as smoking but as "getting nicotine", and that attitude I think is what made e-cigs acceptable. Mind you he had already quit smoking a number of years earlier only to get back into nicotine gum and then smoking and then e-cigs. I think the mind-set that you need your nicotine fix is the problem, rather than just smoking some tobacco because you enjoy it.
They may as well hook you up to a machine if you're gonna be like that.
01:37pm 08/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7088 posts
they can do that???
hook me up and add coffee, possibly a booze button that I can't press all the time.
04:02pm 08/01/13 Permalink
WirlWind
483 posts
they can do that???
hook me up and add coffee, possibly a booze button that I can't press all the time.

+1, HOOK IT UP TO MY VEINS!
05:34pm 08/01/13 Permalink
D-Sub
Brisbane, Queensland
237 posts
I'm getting in on this too. Got my Vapebar Ultimate starter kit, a couple of JuiceWhore juices and nic, PG and VG on the way.
07:00pm 08/01/13 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
4003 posts
Save your money, I understand its addictive and all that but if you can't defeat an addiction yourself then you may have bigger problems needing to be solved
09:01pm 08/01/13 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1476 posts
Save your money, I understand its addictive and all that but if you can't defeat an addiction yourself then you may have bigger problems needing to be solved

The chemical addiction or the habitual addiction?
09:24pm 08/01/13 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
4004 posts
I would say its very hard to know if doctors cannot solve these things yet. This may sound very corny but beating it through the power of your mind is a powerful thing so don't discount it. I just know how expensive cigs are in Australia, theres better ways to make use of the money and saving your lungs of course which are irreplaceable.
09:27pm 08/01/13 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1477 posts
That has nothing to do with the media though. Even most of the smokers I know don't like being around other smokers when they're eating or doing other things that aren't them smoking themselves!

Its not be directly caused by the media, but its symptomatic of a conservative culture (as is having a 1 major newspaper which is focused on tabloid journalism).

And the smokers I know definitely do not act or feel like that apart from eating - and thats contextual based on location.
09:34pm 08/01/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9822 posts
I'm admit that I make sure I'm downwind from peeps who're eating / kids / dumb forum posters...

As for people not caring about the smoke, it's because even when we do try and move out of the way, some a******* will actually WALK INTO the smoke, then do that bulls*** fake *a-heh* type cough. After a while, you just stop caring. If they really are choking out that bad, then f*****g move somewhere else...

send them to the city for lunch, then casually remind them of how much car exchaust we inhale during our lives while in such an environment, and how no one seems to cough from car exhaust as they casually walk down the street.

oddly, my mother makes a habit of walking downwind from me while I'm outside her home having a smoke.. even after I constantly remind her why it is I am standing one side of her rather than the other.

she doesn't do it with my cousin when she is visiting however.. funny that. I should start treating people like s*** more often. The idea seems to have merit
11:50pm 09/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:50pm 09/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.