We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Movie; Lone Ranger Feat. Johnny Depp
XaltD
Queensland
1161 posts

Looks very awesome :)
10:34pm 24/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:34pm 24/12/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1162 posts
Going to add a few more movie trailers that are on my must see list;

Will smith in After Earth

10:38pm 24/12/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1163 posts
Tom Cruise; Oblivion

10:39pm 24/12/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1164 posts
Fairytales reborn!!

Jack & and the bean stalk becomes "Jack the Giant Killer"

10:42pm 24/12/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1165 posts
Hansel and Grettel (hell yes!!! I've posted this before)

10:44pm 24/12/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1166 posts
The zombies in this movie... talk about hyper aggresive!

10:47pm 24/12/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21166 posts
New movie with Mark Walberg and Dwayne Johnson. Looks cool.

11:01pm 24/12/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6353 posts

11:01pm 24/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16426 posts

11:09pm 24/12/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1348 posts
Not sure about OP.
First sign, 'Bruckheimer', second giveaway 'Disney'.
So it'll be aiight as a 'popcorn film' or so long as your prepared for a 'softcore' movie.

Pain & gain looks like it'll be aiight too.
(I noted the epic use of the Dredd sound track in the trailer Rev posted)

Henry Cavill looks the part for 'Man of Steel' but I've never really been sold of the old-school morals of the Superman franchise as a whole.

This on the other hand (going in yet a different tangent) looks like it could be pretty awesome.
02:14am 25/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5646 posts
World War Z looks decent but a major theme in the book was conventional weapons were useless because the zombies just kept coming so armies had to return back to basics.
03:36pm 25/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16427 posts
World War Z looks decent but a major theme in the book was conventional weapons were useless because the zombies just kept coming so armies had to return back to basics.

plus the book was about a guy going around interviewing survivors of the zombie apocalypse.
04:10pm 25/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3975 posts
I heard world war Z was set for release this xmas but got punted baxk to the US summer because they had to completely reshoot a huge chunk of the end of it because it was deemed to be total s***. I have also picked up bits and pieces of fans of the book really going to town on how badly they have f***ed it up. Aparently a major point is that the book covers many many individual accounts of the events and the movie is only following one guy.

Never read the book so this is only hearsay so can any of you varify this?
07:00pm 25/12/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3268 posts
Gym one looks lol. I skipped though it as i dont like watching trailers as they often show too much of the movie.

You think there is any truth to this with regards to the hypothetical situation of the book/movie and whether or not conventional weapons would be useless?
Im guessing the major point is that zombies require a headshot to be killed and landing that would be pretty difficult in most situations (unless sniping stationary targets from afar, accurate scope of course etc).
And given that zombies would outnumber the survivors, im guessing they would need a tonne fire power to hold back the zombies and enough ammo to ensure they could fire enough rounds to get head shots.
Thinking about Aus, i think we would be f***ed. Sure, melee would suffice for a few 1v1 style encounters but holding off against the zombie masses i think would be about getting to a safe location more than wiping them out.
Interesting point.
10:26pm 25/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16428 posts
Aparently a major point is that the book covers many many individual accounts of the events and the movie is only following one guy.

Never read the book so this is only hearsay so can any of you varify this?

from the wiki:

Rather than a grand overview or narrative, World War Z is a collection of individual accounts in the form of first-person anecdotes. Brooks plays the role of an agent of the United Nations Postwar Commission, who published the report a decade after the ten-year Zombie War. The United Nations left much of his research out of the official report, choosing to focus on facts and figures from the war rather than the individual stories that form the bulk of Brooks' novel. The interviews chart a decade-long war against zombies from the view point of many different people of various nationalities. The personal accounts also describe the changing religious, geo-political, and environmental aftermath of the Zombie War.

it's a pretty good read.
10:37pm 25/12/12 Permalink
Fish
Brisbane, Queensland
3008 posts
Voice in Pacific Rim sounds like Glados
12:03am 26/12/12 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1493 posts
Voice in Pacific Rim sounds like Glados

It is.

Same voice actor doing the exact same voice.
12:31am 26/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5530 posts
it's a pretty good read.

Seconded. The movie should be good, but I'm slightly disappointed that they didn't decide to film it almost exactly in the same style as the book because it'd lend itself to some pretty epic flashback type scenes.
01:18am 26/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5648 posts
Im guessing the major point is that zombies require a headshot to be killed and landing that would be pretty difficult in most situations (unless sniping stationary targets from afar, accurate scope of course etc).
In the book they are shuffling/non running zombies. Something else the movie seems to have messed with. This made headshots easy but the problem was ammo vs numbers. Zombies would moan attracting others so this would result in days worth of zombies heading your way.

Dazhel: Nah I disagree, the flash backs would have been horrible and the movie would feel segmented. Best to just treat the flashbacks as happening in real time with the main character being there in person. Which is what I think they are doing.
11:52am 26/12/12 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2412 posts
I heard world war Z was set for release this xmas but got punted baxk to the US summer because they had to completely reshoot a huge chunk of the end of it because it was deemed to be total s***.

same goes for G.I Joe 2. hopefully gets canned completely, but no doubt the toys have already been made.
I watched a Youtube bit on batman and robin the 90's fail movie. Apparently they sent the 1st basic designs of the vehicles and costumes to Asia to be made into toys. Problem was, the 1st drafts were done quickly and sucked ass. Movie sets and costumes had to mirror the toys, so we get (amongst other design atrocities) what has to be the lamest vehicle ever. A Batmobile with a multi-coloured strobe globe under the manifold. Just another reason why that movie ruined batman for me growing up :(
09:18pm 26/12/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3271 posts
the problem was ammo vs numbers.

I was thinking about that. Im guessing that f*** all aussies would have access to firearms / ammo and the police/military would have access but limited rounds. Was trying to figure out of we got hit by zombies, what percentage would be dead, zombies, survivors etc and what kind of ratio of zombie:survivor would occur.

Interesting about batman movie / toys. Was too young to care about that.
12:06am 27/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3977 posts
I think the only advantage Australia would have over other countries would be the ability to put some distance between yourself and major population centers. Add to that we are an island which would help reduce an in flux of more undead. Thats not to say they couldnt get here because my understanding of the story is that some zombies actually moved through bodies of water.

The ability to isolate yourself here is a bit of a doubled edged sword though given the difficulty of sorcing supplies in remote areas. Things would likely end up being pretty similar to whats depicted in the later mad max movies with few settlements and groups of nomadic murders. Itd much for interesting material for a story though.
01:17am 27/12/12 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10464 posts
is every movie coming out next year post-apoc?
04:11pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5535 posts
Thats not to say they couldnt get here because my understanding of the story is that some zombies actually moved through bodies of water.

We'd just have to spot any floating zombies and turn them back around to Indonesia though surely?
04:54pm 28/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16434 posts
Thats not to say they couldnt get here because my understanding of the story is that some zombies actually moved through bodies of water.

yeah they pretty much walk along the ocean bed and can eventually get back onto land.
05:17pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20447 posts
So is there something in the zombification process that makes a body dense enough that it can stay on the ocean floor? I call shenanigans
06:06pm 28/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5663 posts
The only reason bodies float is because as the decomposes it produces gas. Lets just assume the infectious stops decomposition or some s***.
06:35pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4867 posts
Float on the surface that is, the body wouldn't sink to the bottom of the ocean? Assuming all gas is expelled from the lungs (as zombies dont breathe)

Maybe you could assume they get caught up in currents til they are washed ashore en mass, unless the book had them specifically walking on the ocean floor at 10km deep, maybe the zombies only walk at depths where they dont float, maybe only zombies that have been shot full of lead can do the trek...
07:01pm 28/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16435 posts
Respiration

The lungs of the undead continue to function in that they draw air into and expel it from the body. This function accounts for a zombie's signature moan. What the lungs and body chemistry fail to accomplish, however, is to extract oxygen and remove carbon dioxide. Given that Solanum obviates the need for both of these functions, the entire human respiratory system is obsolete in the body of a ghoul. This explains how the living dead can "walk underwater" or survive in environments lethal to humans. Their brains, as noted earlier, are oxygen independent. -related note: At the end of the Battle of Yonkers, a themobaric weapon was detonated to cover the U.S. Army's retreat. A morbidly interesting after-effect is that those zombies present who were not outright destroyed by the bomb had their lungs pulled inside out through their mouths as a result of the bomb's implosion. When the U.S. later retook the New York area, they found hundreds of zombies oblivious to their lungs dangling out of their mouths, unable to moan

from the wiki detailing the zombies from the book.
07:41pm 28/12/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6215 posts
Space Zombies

07:44pm 28/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:44pm 28/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.