We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Kogan Prepaid Mobile ($299/year unlimited calls)
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10576 posts
...and it's on the Telstra network!
Kogan Mobile will launch with a pre-paid no contract rate of $29 per month for unlimited calls and texts and 6GB of data. You read it correctly – 6GB of data and unlimited calls, on the Telstra network for $29 a month. Pay up front for 3 months and you’ll save $8 with a price of $79 on that bundle, or if you’re happy to commit to 12 months up front you’ll pay just $299 – saving you $49 on the month to month rate.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/12/kogan-launching-low-cost-pre-paid-offering/

Umm that is pretty amazing, a great low cost alternative to Telstra. I don't know for sure if I'll get it, but I'll look into it tomorrow as it sounds promising.

Dan Edit: Added a non-nooz dot com url
07:16pm 12/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:16pm 12/12/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
853 posts
while pretty great, notice the *prices subject to change at any time without notice

*edit* my bad, didn't realise it was pre-paid.
07:20pm 12/12/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2879 posts
http://www.kogan.com/au/mobile/

Network Services
Kogan Mobile's service, using part of Telstra's Mobile Network -

provides a 3G coverage footprint of 97% of the Australian Population covering more than 960,000 square kilometres
has a typical download speed of 550kbps-3Mbps and upload speed of 300kbps-1Mbps (peak network download speed of 7.2Mbps)
supports these typical download speeds across the entire Kogan Mobile 3G coverage footprint not just selected metropolitan areas
has extensive breadth and depth of coverage and support by a quality network. Kogan Mobile is underpinned by over 6,600 3G 850MHz sites
Seems it has the coverage of the Telstra network but with crippled speeds so I guess it won't see 4G anytime soon.
07:41pm 12/12/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20935 posts
No, that's the standard 3G speeds isn't it?

I am VERY keen and will more then likely sign up
08:59pm 12/12/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20936 posts
ahh from he gizmdo article its not the Next G service, so this leads me to believe it's the old network that 3 used to partner with

What’s important to note about the wholesale offering from Telstra, however, is the fact that the service isn’t the telco’s Next G service. It’s actually just a 3G network capable of down speeds between 550 kbps-3Mbps. Once again, not Next G.
09:05pm 12/12/12 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1685 posts
and support by a quality network. Kogan Mobile is underpinned by over 6,600 3G 850MHz sites

That's next-g, Telstra said long ago that wholesale users would be speed limited on the network.
09:10pm 12/12/12 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12393 posts
Dare i say it, the coverage is there, as in the towers/network platform (If I'm up on the tech enough..) And the bandwidth might even improve as the 4G/NextG uptake increases?? Making it a reasonable prospect at a very attractive price
09:13pm 12/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16351 posts
Dare i say it, the coverage is there, as in the towers/network platform (If I'm up on the tech enough..) And the bandwidth might even improve as the 4G/NextG uptake increases??

last i heard is that the networks are congested because there's too many people and not enough infrastructure.
09:16pm 12/12/12 Permalink
bargain
Sydney, New South Wales
1934 posts
I'm skeptical.

And as far as kogan goes, I used to be a fan. Cheap stuff. But I've since seen some people buy the TVs they sell - rubbish sound and video quality. And I bought a microwave - I just want to throw it into a wall sometimes. Cook my food for longer than the instructions say for that power, still frozen in the middle. What is this s***.
09:52pm 12/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21946 posts
I bought a Kogan TV and the video quality is fine. Absolutely s*** sound quality though. Like 100% terribad. Easily fixed with a set of speakers/headphones though.
09:54pm 12/12/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2230 posts
man if a deal like that exsisted here in germany id be all over it. Data here is a complete rip off.. Like some companys even dare to charge €5 for 50mb of data on prepaid. Im currently on the best deal I could find for my prepaid sim and for about $23AU a month I get 500mb of data. So f*****g annoying.
10:29pm 12/12/12 Permalink
ctd
UK
10180 posts

man if a deal like that exsisted here in germany id be all over it. Data here is a complete rip off.. Like some companys even dare to charge €5 for 50mb of data on prepaid. Im currently on the best deal I could find for my prepaid sim and for about $23AU a month I get 500mb of data. So f*****g annoying.

wow that is bad. While only 3G - unlimited data plans are cheap as f*** here in the UK.
10:40pm 12/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5277 posts
Even though its capped at 7.2mbps i still think this is awesome deal. There is alot ppl out there who just want reliability coverage when on the phone and data speeds isnt really issue. Well done i hope they keep this up!!!

Here a little article on speeds

http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/444517/how_fast_kogan_mobile_network_/
05:26pm 13/12/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8112 posts
So only 500MB per month? I mean, I don't generally use that much anyway, but still, I'd prefer more to be on the safe side. Unless that's 6GB per month, not per year, in which case, that's a very tempting deal.

EDIT: Yeah, it's per month. That's awesome.

last edited by Midda at 18:26:49 13/Dec/12
06:24pm 13/12/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
2017 posts
Only 3g and not next g.
06:31pm 13/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3510 posts
I dare say it will be a similar deal to the old 3 networking sharing

I would dare say that it will be mostly the 2100mhz 3g, and the 850mhz next g only where there are competing companies in the area,

ir, go to say, dubbo where there is any 2100mhz towers, and kogan will drop onto the 850mhz network (because optus and vodaphone have towers there) however, get outa town and you'll be bang out of luck
07:18pm 13/12/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4120 posts
"Next G" is the brandname Telstra use for their (predominantly) 850mhz 3G service, it is not an actual thing
07:28pm 13/12/12 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1686 posts
@_@
ir, go to say, dubbo where there is any 2100mhz towers, and kogan will drop onto the 850mhz network (because optus and vodaphone have towers there) however, get outa town and you'll be bang out of luck

http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/mobile/index.htm

markets. With Telstra Wholesale, you can develop and market your own branded mobile solutions.

Whether it’s pre-paid or post-paid mobile solutions you are after, we can to help your business reach its full potential.

Our mobile solutions are built on the high performing 3G 850/2100 MHz network that reaches 97 per cent of the Australian population, covering more than 960,000 square kilometres with high data speed available across the entire coverage area.

Outside the 3G coverage area, your customers will access our 2G coverage and data speeds, providing a combined footprint covering 98.5 per cent of the Australian population. View our interactive coverage map here.

In every sense of the word its Next-G.

Keep in mind Next-G started out at the humble begininings of 3mbits peak network, and grew to the current 42mbit DC HSDPA+.

Its still the same Network, just additional layers added ontop.

Telstra is wholesaling the First layer of Next-G that was released, so full country coverage + max 7mbit network (average 3mbit) (IMO it will be 3mbit on all towers, bar those that are 42mbit DC updated (e.g. inner city metro only).

Voice coverage wise, its still exceptional, and 3mbit data speeds are still decent.
07:37pm 13/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3513 posts
"Next G" is the brandname Telstra use for their (predominantly) 850mhz 3G service, it is not an actual thing

to be fair, it isn't really 3g in the normal sense, best described as 3.5g
07:39pm 13/12/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4121 posts
3x0dus, yeah reading between the lines I think the key point is that its plain 3G, no HSDPA support (hence the 7.2mbit theoretical maximum limit)

What I cant figure out yet is why the rural coverage is worse; as I thought Telstra used 850mhz everywhere.
07:42pm 13/12/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8113 posts
The speed is the only thing making me second-guess this. I'll wait a while and see how people's experiences go.
07:46pm 13/12/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4122 posts
Reports I've seen are average 3mbit, up to 6ish mbit; which in my opinion is plenty.

Ultimately whats important IMO is consistant throughput - ie so you can pull your phone out and it will just work, wherever you are, and IMO Telstra's network is way ahead of Optus and Vodafone on that point.
08:00pm 13/12/12 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1687 posts
rural coverage is worse; as I thought Telstra used 850mhz everywhere.

brief look at the coverage map and 3G coverage in areas without competing 3G coverage show as 2G only.

Wouldn't be surprised tho if it didn't work still but not allow data
08:22pm 13/12/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8114 posts
Ultimately whats important IMO is consistant throughput - ie so you can pull your phone out and it will just work, wherever you are, and IMO Telstra's network is way ahead of Optus and Vodafone on that point.

Yeah, that's really my biggest concern. Speed has never been an issue for me with phones, even on Optus, it was the consistency of the service that brought me back to Telstra. So often, I'd just sit there waiting for things to respond. I used to think it was my phone, but then I swapped to Telstra, even just on the old 2100Mhz 3G network, and the difference was amazing.

If this deal gives the same reliability as the regular Telstra network, I'll probably swap over when my current contract is up.
10:18pm 13/12/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5085 posts
Sort of off topic but anyone bought a Kogan TV before? Thinking of picking one up but would like to know if they are quality or not.
01:01am 14/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7555 posts
Unlimited SMS you say. Could I hook this up to a computer and use to send out notifications to club members 250 at a time?
10:32am 14/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5283 posts
Raven they might class that as business use??
10:57am 14/12/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10639 posts
Just an update, I bought the sim card for $4.99 and the $299 one year plan via PayPal (Not via my bank account).

I made sure to have the 'auto extend' option disabled when I signed up.

I have just noticed a $29 charge in my BANK ACCOUNT. I have attempted to ring Kogan Mobile but can't get through to an operator.

I am going to my bank to file a dispute against Kogan.

Beware, keep an eye on your account. Seems like buying the plan doesn't exit you from a monthly fee or some crap?

03:59pm 08/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9742 posts
DM Kogans are as good as any other cheap bottom of the range TV.
Bang for buck they are ok.
They arent the equal of Samsungs and LGs and Sonys though.
CHOICE tested TVs and Kogan was last.

If its for gaming or the kids room its prolly worth it.
I wouldnt use one as my primary TV.
04:07pm 08/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3649 posts
you sure you didn't get the monthly pack by mistake?
04:07pm 08/01/13 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15557 posts
I have just noticed a $29 charge in my BANK ACCOUNT
if you paid via paypal, initially, shouldn't subsequent debits also come through paypal and you would see a transaction log there?
04:10pm 08/01/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10640 posts
there is no evidence of this transaction in paypal

6 Jan 2013 Payment To Kogan Mobile Pty Ltd Completed -$299.00 AUD

13 Dec 2012 Payment To Kogan Technologies Completed -$4.99 AUD
04:12pm 08/01/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13257 posts
So a great priced 3G service with a new Kogan Android Phone. $150 is their target price..
04:13pm 08/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3650 posts
does that come standard with the broken screen?
04:24pm 08/01/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2466 posts
Sounds strange thermite, if you paid for everything with PayPal, did you even give Kogan your bank account details at any point?
07:48pm 08/01/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11794 posts

Just signed my wife up. Trailing the 1 month option, if it goes well might try the 3 month option and then up it to a year. So far it's running great. Also got a Samsung Galaxy S3 4G from them with that free shipping special.
08:29pm 08/01/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3858 posts
Keep us posted on the service. My contract expires next month and thinking of going to this since it is less than half the price and 6 times the data.
09:16pm 08/01/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10436 posts
given the utter s***house customer service i experienced with kogan last year just wanting to buy from them a working mobile phone, i will never touch anything to do with kogan again.

also the isp's mobile plans are so good this isn't that great by comparison - see iinet or tpg mobile.
09:45pm 08/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7139 posts
there is no evidence of this transaction in paypal

Unsure of the full context of your comment, but when I tried to sign up to swtor ages back using paypal, the transaction kept completing but no charge showed up or occurred. Eventually I changed my postcode on the SWTOR account page to match the paypal account, and then it worked instantly. So weird non-finalising paypal charges may be due to different address details on each end.
10:11pm 08/01/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10641 posts
Sounds strange thermite, if you paid for everything with PayPal, did you even give Kogan your bank account details at any point?

Yes I think part of the signup was giving my debit mastercard details. I suspect they've charged me for a month's access for some reason. They're new and I'm guessing this could have been some automated f***up? Anyways I filled in a form at the bank to dispute the transaction and told Kogan Mobile via email that I did that, so we'll see how that goes.
10:57pm 08/01/13 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1698 posts
It may have been a pre-auth kinda 14 day reverse thing as part of credit/age verification ?
12:11am 09/01/13 Permalink
exo
Sydney, New South Wales
9041 posts
http://www.ausforums.com/images/icon7.gifJust signed my wife up. Trailing the 1 month option, if it goes well might try the 3 month option and then up it to a year. So far it's running great. Also got a Samsung Galaxy S3 4G from them with that free shipping special.

Keep in mind that Kogan's wholesale agreement with Telstra caps speeds at 7.2Mbps, so that 4G phone won't be running as fast as you may think.
07:32am 09/01/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5311 posts
also the isp's mobile plans are so good this isn't that great by comparison - see iinet or tpg mobile.

this is only good if you can get optus in your area... Telstra network is alot better even if its capped at 7.2mbps
10:43am 09/01/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11795 posts

Keep in mind that Kogan's wholesale agreement with Telstra caps speeds at 7.2Mbps, so that 4G phone won't be running as fast as you may think.
No so much worried about download speeds, coverage is more important. With Vodafone she would see 3G speeds around 8Mbps...rarely. But, she could also be anywhere in the inner city and get nothing, not any signal at all. For her entire 2 year contract they had it discounted 50% because of the crap coverage.

I've been with iiNet for a while now (4 months), I was the test rat for that, it has been a disaster (disaster is a strong word :p) a below average experience. Coverage is slightly better than Vodafone, but the download speeds are shocking (I would say 1/2 at best of what I would get with Vodafone). I figured maybe Optus was capping iiNet users, but my brother is with Optus and says that's situation normal. That said, the price was right, like $20/month for 1.5GB downloads, blah blah.

But I'm super impressed with Kogan so far. Consistent 3Mbps download speeds around the joint. Great coverage. All courtesy of Telstra I supose :p $10 more than my iiNet bill with 4x the DL limit and everything else unlimited? If it goes to s*** I'll just churn to someone else :p
10:22pm 09/01/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11802 posts

Well, I'm signing the wife up for 3 months now. Service in Brisbane between Upper Kedron/Samford and the CBD and all around that has been fantastic compared to Vodafone or iiNet's network. How has anyone else on Kogan found it?
08:59am 24/01/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6326 posts

Which both use optus network, which in comparison doesn't get reception to even normal places in brisbane. Like weirdly, some black spots in bardon, toowong, kedron, and a few others.

Crippled speeds or not, the telstra network s**** all over optus.

Edit: And it's better than the TPG plan. $5 dollars better and unlimited calls/text with 6gb data.
Edit2: And it's better than the iinet plan, which is $40 dollars for the 1/2 data, and still doesn't have unlimited calls/text.

I'm kind of s***** because two days ago i left telstra to go with TPG, i haven't been switched over yet but i've already been charged the first two months (prorata) and had i known this, than i would have gone kogan.
09:11am 24/01/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10707 posts
update: I got the money back

Now I'm having problems with telstra not having set up the 'my bigpond' page for me, and optus pretending it can't deliver a phone I bought because my address doesn't exist

F

M

L

12:59pm 24/01/13 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4140 posts
Glad there's a low-cost option on Telstra network now as their connection consistancy (latency/jitter) make Optus and Vodafone look like a complete joke . 3mbit is heaps for a phone
02:32pm 24/01/13 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
2020 posts
I have hit 15mbps with a 3g dual channel telstra modem!
10:26pm 24/01/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10457 posts
mate of mine signed up for this deal
it's been three weeks and needing to contact them many times and his number still hasn't been ported

i am quietly lol'ing in my massive ball of 'i told you so' whilst i happily use my isp-provided mobile service
10:47pm 24/01/13 Permalink
exo
Sydney, New South Wales
9043 posts
I have hit 15mbps with a 3g dual channel telstra modem!

Got this on a Voda DC-HSPA phone the other day:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA2TkEaCAAEzDo7.jpg
07:11am 25/01/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11803 posts

Got this on a Voda DC-HSPA phone the other day
Speeds are getting up there. Highest I've seen on Telstra when we were trialling the 4G cards was like 42Mbps. Crazy speeds.
09:10am 25/01/13 Permalink
shrapse
Brisbane, Queensland
3810 posts
Got this on my partners phone testing the LTE goodness, very fast

http://i.imgur.com/fNSdZ8C.jpg?1
09:34am 25/01/13 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3604 posts
what the hell are you downloading on your phone that you need 50+mbit speed?

10:07am 25/01/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5345 posts
Best i got from my iphone 5 is 77.15mbps down and 31.91mbps up
10:30am 25/01/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10913 posts
Well Kogan Mobile is definitely starting to unravel.
They are simply kicking off heavy users from their unlimited plan.
Here is a story about a Brisbane man who had the plug pulled by Kogan:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/biztech/kogan-mobile-kicks-mobile-user-off-its-phone-service-for-using-his-phone-too-much/story-fn5lic6c-1226600326988
They claimed he breached the 'personal use only' clause of the T&C but he reckons that's bulls***, he had no need to use his phone for business or anything like that.
11:38am 19/03/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11829 posts

Step 1: Scrape the top 5% of users who make the offering less profitable.
Step 2: Keep the remaining 95% who use less than 50% of the usage combined.
Step 3: Profit.
12:42pm 19/03/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3817 posts
Well Kogan Mobile is definitely starting to unravel.They are simply kicking off heavy users from their unlimited plan.Here is a story about a Brisbane man who had the plug pulled by Kogan:http://www.news.com.au/technology/biztech/kogan-mobile-kicks-mobile-user-off-its-phone-service-for-using-his-phone-too-much/story-fn5lic6c-1226600326988They claimed he breached the 'personal use only' clause of the T&C but he reckons that's bulls***, he had no need to use his phone for business or anything like that.

he claimed he didn't need a business phone (which you wouldn't if you used the one phone for everything, still doesn't mean he wasn't doing business or using it as a work phone)

also, if you'd read the link, it mentions that it isn't kogan so much kicking them off, but the agent acting for telstra in an effort to free up some network space

it says basiclly those people getting kicked are those spending 14 hours per day on the phone, and/or using excessive data. which seems fair to me (to be kicking them off that is)

end of the day, if youre a heavy user that is currently paying more than $100+ per month on your phone, and you think that a $30/mo service AND increasing your use and you could do this while still having a contract after a few months, youre kidding yourself

As I see it the kogan product is aimed at users who's uses goes up and down, and would currently be on either a pre-paid, or ~$50-$70 plans
03:17pm 19/03/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2997 posts
it says basiclly those people getting kicked are those spending 14 hours per day on the phone, and/or using excessive data. which seems fair to me (to be kicking them off that is)
Not really, you can't advertise and sell high quota or unlimited access and then complain when people take advantage of it.

It's like the telstra CEO saying they don't want high capacity users when they sell a 500GB quota plan. They are happy for people to buy it but not to use it?
03:32pm 19/03/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36840 posts
It's almost like they need some sort of Policy about what Use they find Acceptable
03:36pm 19/03/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10917 posts
copuis, you can't justify Kogan's actions by saying it's 'fair' (because of what may seem sensible to you personally), or palming the blame to Telstra's agent (customers don't buy from Telstra or know of this faceless agent).
The arrangement was unlimited phone from Kogan Mobile. Simple. I don't care that Kogan can change their T&Cs and put that in after you've paid, that's fraud.
03:42pm 19/03/13 Permalink
Coldy
Brisbane, Queensland
216 posts
Hahaha. Nice Trog.
03:44pm 19/03/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35364 posts
what are the aldi plans like? i would think aldi woudlnt put out a dodgy product.
07:37pm 19/03/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10511 posts
hahahaha I tried to tell you all that Kogan are a PACK OF A*******S TM Jim Richards
07:50pm 19/03/13 Permalink
foolix
Brisbane, Queensland
155 posts
Kogan Mobile offers unlimited calls and texts and 6GB of data for $29 on its prepaid mobile plan which launched in December.
It also doesn't allow users to top up their data balance between usage periods.
"While it is clear that certain users of Kogan Mobile have exceeded the normal usage of an ordinary person - some average over 14 hours of continuous calls per day and some have used over 40GB of data per month

How have they used 40GB a month???
08:04pm 19/03/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10919 posts
I'm under the impression the data isn't unlimited, so I don't know why they mentioned it. But to answer your question, a couple hours of internet videos everyday at a reasonable definition could do the trick?
08:11pm 19/03/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3819 posts
copuis, you can't justify Kogan's actions by saying it's 'fair' (because of what may seem sensible to you personally), or palming the blame to Telstra's agent (customers don't buy from Telstra or know of this faceless agent).
The arrangement was unlimited phone from Kogan Mobile. Simple. I don't care that Kogan can change their T&Cs and put that in after you've paid, that's fraud.

wait, what now?

if a telstra agent sends a letter without kogans knowledge, kogan is still responsable. stow the passion and think about it dude

most companies that have "unlimited ****" aspects in thier plans all have fair use clause, breach it and they can end the contract, it isn't fraud if the customer trys to take advantage and breaks the t&c's then claims that is "isn't fair"

also, the arrangement is an unlimited phone from kogan FOR PERSONAL USE. if youre using it for more than say 6 hours everyday it would say it was fair that it wasn't all personal use
08:12pm 19/03/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11830 posts

ISP's have also been doing this for ages. I don't get what the big deal is...
08:44pm 19/03/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3489 posts
^Also telcom providers. My telstra plan bundles home line and internet and gives me unlimited national calls but when i read the fine print there was some incredibly high limit to the number of daily calls allowed. I doubt anybody would reach that under normal home use circumstances.
08:58pm 19/03/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10920 posts
The articles are now reporting that it's flat out illegal to advertise unlimited when they don't mean exactly that, so copuis even if it makes perfect sense that they should do what they did, it's not right.

Whoever 'they' is (I think it's bs to say it's not Kogan, they took the money)
09:11pm 19/03/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10952 posts
A DISABLED pensioner is the latest to be kicked of his prepaid mobile plan by provider Kogan Mobile for over-using the service.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/biztech/disabled-pensioner-ditched-by-kogan-but-not-before-charging-him/story-fn5lic6c-1226606702896#ixzz2Od312iER
06:31pm 26/03/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3509 posts
^
"the customer used over 8.25GB of data in just 21 days"

Lol. Probably is his only source of internet cause ~400mb a day isnt much.

I dont see the issue with claiming unlimited but have the * with conditions apply. For most people, the service really would be unlimited. What about ISP download speeds where they say X mps but if you live in a bad spot, or connect at a peak time its much less.
07:30pm 26/03/13 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6092 posts
I ordered a kogan sim express on Tuesday it arrived Thursday used the code to sign up and selected to port my mobile number.

2 minutes later I tried to call out but it failed saying no service.
Swapped out sim cards and phone reported kogan straight away received a call on my number a few minutes later.

Pretty impressive I reckon.
Same signal and speeds I was getting previously on Telstra, I've been around some outskirt suburbs last couple days to compare against.
10:42pm 30/03/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6465 posts
1) Telstra have a wholesaler called ispONE
2) Kogan resell 'telstra's' network by asking ispONE to be their wholesaler.
3) ispONE disconnects users
4) Kogan mobile says you can only use 400mb a day, and 6gb per month, and a few other clauses like so much in 2 days, 2 weeks etc.
5) It's clear from the fact that some users are taking advantage of the system which takes a long time to stop the prepaid data when they run out of quota.
6) People are angry when they use 50%+ more than 6gb a month, and therefore are not allowed to renew.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like hyperbole to me.

Disabled pensioner with kid: "I can't afford to switch providers" Aldi provides a similar plan, for similar money. Go switch to them. Can afford to outright buy iphone. ?????
10:14am 31/03/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11042 posts
It's not ispONE's fault. I am a Kogan Mobile customer and until recently I have never even heard of ispONE. As a customer I do not give a s*** about the secret arrangement my provider has with their own provider, all I care is that I get what I paid for, and who did I pay? Kogan....

ispONE also believe it is 100% Kogan Mobile's responsibility:

Legal counsel for ispONE said in court yesterday that it was seeking a declaration that Kogan Mobile was in breach of clause 5.3 of the Master Wholesale Agreement signed between the two companies, court documents show.
ispONE says Kogan Mobile was "falsely representing that its mobile phone plans were unlimited when in fact they were limited in a number of ways and by false representing that their data plans, Kogan Mobile's data plans only have some specific limitations, whereas in fact they have far more limitations than disclosed".

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/kogan-mobile-accused-of-false-advertising-by-telstra-reseller-ispone/story-fng9n79t-1226623310656#ixzz2QmE6hRsK
12:10pm 18/04/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3948 posts
the suspension agreement showed that users who send more than 1000 text messages, 600 multimedia messages or make more than 12 hours of calls in a single day will be flagged as an account that could potentially qualify for suspension.

that is without a doubt beyond what a personal user would do

also, notice the words "potentially qualify for suspension" that means to me, that in your normal day to day activity you use the phone to send like 100sms, maybe, 2mms, spend 2-3 hours on the phone all is fine, that carries on for a few months, then something big happens, and there is a spike, and you hit those limits, like a day or two, then it piters out back to normal, chances are you'll not get booted,

the people that have been booted are all those who are a) hitting one of those limits or close to it most days, and have been for more than one month
b) not personal users, and using the phone for business,
12:43pm 18/04/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6497 posts
I do not give a s*** about the secret arrangement my provider has with their own provider

Been talking to faceman a little too much? It's all a conspiracy.

Noone ever uses the phrase "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" and instead everyone just says "OH WELL THEY TOLD ME THAT HURF DURF" like they themselves don't have to have a clue to get through life, they just need to believe whatever they're told.

I'm not saying kogan didn't f*** up, but i mean we're talking about people who are complaining that they didn't get to completely screw over the entire point of these crazy cheap plans.

They're designed to be practically unlimited, and nearly anyone even a 13yo teenager who spends more time texting than looking at the life around her, couldn't even go over. yet, here you have people crying poor because they were using consistently crazy crazy unfathomable amounts then saying "Boo hoo" when they lose it like they don't have any choice of other provider.

Yet there are plenty.

Go with one of them.
03:31pm 18/04/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11044 posts
What planet are you on right now?
03:46pm 18/04/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11858 posts

Looks like Kogan came out with a win in court over the wholesaler suspending customer accounts.

http://www.zdnet.com/au/ispone-ordered-to-pay-kogan-mobile-damages-7000014796/
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/341829,court-finds-in-kogan-mobiles-favour.aspx
10:20am 03/05/13 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4176 posts
Assuming the article's description of what happened in court is true, it sounds like what happened is that Kogan made a written agreement with ispONE for 'unlimited' (or whatever limits Kogan advertise), but due to the cost ispONE was incurring decided to terminate the accounts of Kogan's customers regardless of the fact those users were within the usage allowed based on the agreement Kogan and ispONE signed.

In other words, its another argument over unlimited and acceptable use policies, except this time its between two companies.
11:00am 03/05/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:00am 03/05/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.