AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
Hackers Unlock Wii Piracy on Wii U; Wii U Games Still Secure
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
13917 posts
The engineers of the Wii Hombrew Channel, the launch application used for running unsigned software from the original Nintendo Wii's dashboard, have announced a new version of the HackMii crack that now also works on the Wii U (via Eurogamer):
For now, it only works on the Wii mode within the Wii U, not in full Wii U mode. In essence, the HBC runs on Wii U just as it does on Wii.

dhewg suggested the Wii hacker community may be able to find their way into the full Wii U mode, and thus get HBC running there, but it seems they are nowhere near that - yet.

“We can all try to hack the Wii U together from inside Wii mode,” he said.

Nintendo won't be happy with this latest development. It maintains that the installation of the Homebrew Channel voids warranty as it is considered unauthorised software.
That unsigned code is already running on the Wii U at all is quite significant.

Several prominent Wii U hackers have also already reportedly been hinting at more a complete Wii U security exploit, but any related cracks or software are yet to be publicly released.
10:31am 11/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:31am 11/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34709 posts
WOOT
10:42am 11/12/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3680 posts
I'm pretty sure the first exploits for the Wii were done from the gamecube mode. Will be interesting to see if this ever prompts Nintendo to simply cut legacy support from future consoles.
11:46am 11/12/12 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2387 posts
Now im interested.
11:48am 11/12/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6701 posts
I'm pretty sure the first exploits for the Wii were done from the gamecube mode.
Nope, Twilight Hack was the first, and it was a modified save game for the Wii version of Twilight Princess. It's actually harder to hack the Wii via the GameCube mode, since it basically locks out access to the extra Wii hardware. WiiU is exactly the same with regards to Wii backwards compatibility (i.e. it locks out WiiU functions when running in Wii mode), so there's no reason to cut backwards compatibility.

Also, this isn't the first Wii exploit known to work on WiiU, SmashStack still works.
12:08pm 11/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5623 posts
When did homebrew become piracy?

What.
12:38pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13174 posts
3DS is still not cracked yet, it has been out for ages too. Nintendo are doing a pretty good job this time round of locking down their hardware. Playstation 3 still holds the crown for toughest nut I think.
01:01pm 11/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1443 posts
Off to pick up a copy of SSBB :)
05:11pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1861 posts
lol Toll, funny ;P
05:46pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8104 posts
The SmashStack exploit was demonstrated to be working the day the Wii U launched in the US. This isn't a new hack, this is just a new version of the Homebrew channel for people to install on the Wii U (while running in Wii mode). It's also still a lot more limited than regular Wii hacks, since I don't think you can install custom IOSs. That means no region unlocking (boo!), but also no piracy (good!).

I doubt this will have any direct impact on hacking the Wii U though.
06:03pm 11/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17588 posts
When did homebrew become piracy?

are you saying that it's primary use isn't for playing pirated games?
06:23pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1713 posts
Yeah, there is quite a bit of misinformation being posted on Ausgamers as news lately...
02:59am 12/12/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7616 posts
so wait.. you buy a product.. and you tinker with in the confines of your own home.. and you now have committed a crime?
03:21am 12/12/12 Permalink
oddie
Sydney, New South Wales
2 posts
So homebrew apps and games are illegal to use? I wouldn't think so... void the warranty but I think thats about it right.
01:39pm 12/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5627 posts
are you saying that it's primary use isn't for playing pirated games?

No. As Midda pointed out, no custom IOS.
01:50pm 12/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17590 posts
oh right, spook will be sad then
02:03pm 12/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5628 posts
Hahah yeah I think spook only loves the Wii because he pirates everything.

Which is strange because he is a grown man with a fulltime job. You'd think he can afford a few games? I guess he is the the type of pirate that the industry hates and thinks everyone is like him.
02:37pm 12/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:37pm 12/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close