Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
nzbmatrix no longer
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5658 posts
http://nzbmatrix.com/the_end.html

The End...

It is with our regret to announce that NZBMATRIX has closed.

We have had to make this decision due to a very large takedown request from a company called Wiggin LLC. These represent the following: Federation Against Copyright Theft Limited ("FACT"), Paramount Home Entertainment International Limited; Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Limited; The Walt Disney Company Limited; Twentieth Century Fox Film Company Limited; Universal Pictures (UK) Limited; Warner Bros. Entertainment UK Limited.

As everyone is aware we are DMCA/Takedown notice compliant, and always have been.
Once this notice is completed we are left with an impossible task of policing our indexing bots. Even then it won't stop there, there will be follow-up notices etc.

Coupled with this is problems with payment providers, we have been through pretty much everyone out there, in the end they all pull out.
There are massive server/bandwidth costs to pay, with the payments in-stability this is a very hard task.

NZBMATRIX has never been the subject of any legal issues or threats.

Also the Usenet Indexing scene is going through some changes, with content being removed from pretty much every provider its making the existence of an indexer irrelevant if the content does not even exists anymore.

So it's time for us to bow out...

Time to start registering with other indexers or build your own

http://www.howtogeek.com/120285/how-to-build-your-own-usenet-indexer/

10:06pm 09/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:06pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8221 posts
Whoa, did not see that coming. Also NZBsRus has been down for ages as well. Could this be the end?
10:25pm 09/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5659 posts
Nah just running the svn checkout for newznab as we speak, also started to read through the documentation. So much for using a couple of cores for my exchange test environment
10:28pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9959 posts
Hey herbal,

any idea of the bandwidth requirment for newsnab to host it at home?
10:33pm 09/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5660 posts
NFI honestly was going to kick off the indexing on when my cap rolls over. Then I can see what reporting my utm kicks out and I will tell you exactly.

last edited by HerbalLizard at 22:47:27 09/Dec/12
10:44pm 09/12/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5076 posts
Well s***... this is bad news.
11:04pm 09/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36610 posts
Hey herbal,

any idea of the bandwidth requirment for newsnab to host it at home?
I ran newznab for a while when we were uploading AG files to mirror; it's a really nice piece of software. The volume of data it downloaded wasn't reallllly huge (depending on how many newsgroups you were following) but I found it almost unusably slow on a home connection for some reason. I originally was running it on our servers then moved it to home after our (freely provided for the purposes of mirroring our file content) Giganews account wasn terminated, but it simply couldn't keep up indexing even the few newsgroups we posted to, so I gave it up. YMMV.

Would be perfect for a VPS :)
11:05pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7610 posts
lol o great.. i just paid 10 bux to join them
11:12pm 09/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16330 posts
well damn, who the hell do i use now?
11:13pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9960 posts
I might have a crack at home and see how it goes on BP Cable.
Id put it on a VPS but I want to avoid paying another $20 or so a month :)
11:15pm 09/12/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2874 posts
R.I.P

Will have to find a new TV station.
11:24pm 09/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16331 posts
wow almost all the indexers i have bookmarked have shut down :/
11:24pm 09/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16332 posts
anyone got invites to dognzb or nzb.su?
11:41pm 09/12/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8052 posts
Apparently Newzbin2.es gave up too
11:43pm 09/12/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2791 posts
I was just about to sub to nzbmatrix. Shame. Back to using my good o' public nzb sites.

http://nzbclub.com/ has served me well for current tv shows and popular linux iso's. However don't even bother with anything old or semi obsecure
11:55pm 09/12/12 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1680 posts
The DMCA takedowns on usenet also becoming more problematic.

Won't be fun goin back to the old old usenet pre NZB.
12:16am 10/12/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7612 posts
distributed hosting is the way to go...

i feel gamers/pirates actually drive innovation in the internet..

this is just another hurdle for the internet to jump over..

as a commerce person... there is demand.. and supply will be filled.. either legally. or illegally.. movie companies need to figure that out and become part of the solution/carrot.. not just the stick
12:30am 10/12/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21126 posts
Sucks but I definitely got my money werth from them. If anyone finds another nice site like that with a good layout let us know.
12:42am 10/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8222 posts

Don't think you need an invite for nzb.su, seems like you can just sign up but has a 10 limit per day for free users.
01:00am 10/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20355 posts
Well, that sucks
01:13am 10/12/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1708 posts
sucks indeed...

yabsearch.nl, nzbclub and binsearch all seem to be up still though. Surprised Newzbin2 is gone too.

Oh well.
01:46am 10/12/12 Permalink
eXemplar
Brisbane, Queensland
2818 posts
It's sad that nzbmatrix shut down but the more scary thing is
Also the Usenet Indexing scene is going through some changes, with content being removed from pretty much every provider its making the existence of an indexer irrelevant if the content does not even exists anymore.

A lot of movies are basically impossible to get off usenet now, beginning of the end for indexers and the whole nzb format really. Exactly like they said, indexers won't mean d*** if they wise up and takedown all the content.

It's not surprising, I'd be very worried too if I had to compete with sickbeard, couchpotato and headphones or all the other one click usenet downloaders.

last edited by eXemplar at 01:48:57 10/Dec/12
01:47am 10/12/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7374 posts
The douche-bag CEO of one of the companies doing many of the takedowns:

https://twitter.com/Morganelli/status/277739858364084224

They've been boasting for months about how good their automated takedown system is. Will see how long the company lasts when that part of usenet goes back underground.

last edited by parabol at 01:59:33 10/Dec/12
01:55am 10/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20356 posts
Yeah, same with Arrow, pretty much within a few hours of a new episode coming out, its been taken off all the providers, but it was still on the index sites so sickbeard would go to grab it then it'd just spaz out and fail and say the file was outside of the server's retention.
02:22am 10/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4158 posts
so that's why it's been getting that error lately
05:37am 10/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34694 posts
no issues downloading my torrents!
05:43am 10/12/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1060 posts
I have read several guides on Usenet things but I still have no idea how it works or how to properly use it. Seems like a lot of stuffing around and the fact you have to pay if you want it half decent seems silly too.

@ Spook +1 for torrents
06:03am 10/12/12 Permalink
BEHUB
New South Wales
2139 posts
NZB.su is still left uses newznab (dognzb uses this) and works just fine at the moment for Sickbeard.

Still on the hunt for a dognzb invite though ;)
06:59am 10/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5661 posts
Re the DMCA issues some of you guys are getting with shows like arrow, I would recommend that you add in additional Usenet providers many of whom are not implementing an automated system like astra. Get some backup providers

The biggest issue with usenet is that its entirely different to torrents for newbies. For starters you need to get an account with provider (think ISP) some are free some cost per month / year. Then you need something to index the headers etc (think google) and a newsreader to pull the file down SAB etc, some apps combine the two. A half decent provider is about $10 a month

What was awesome was sites like nzbmatrix and newzbin would allow you to automate the process by using an API key. Bookmark something and the apps would go fetch the bookmarks based on the api key. Then tie in options to go hit up other info sites for tile art / information (again another API key) and you have the tools to build an internet based PVR, one that says to the likes of foxtel, lick me where I s***.

@ Spook +1 for torrents
Go try usenet and then come back and say that, a beer @ archive says you will have changed your tune once it sinks in

last edited by HerbalLizard at 07:53:47 10/Dec/12
07:51am 10/12/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7637 posts
Yeah, there are still good indexers around, its the usenet providers thats the problem.

They're getting hit on two fronts.

a) Payment processing
b) DCMA Takedowns
07:55am 10/12/12 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
498 posts
Nzb.su says registrations are closed. Dafuq?

Whingepool has a half ok post going listing a few sites worth a crack
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2023439
09:48am 10/12/12 Permalink
shrapse
Brisbane, Queensland
3798 posts
http://nzbs.org is quite amazing however I think it's now invite only? Been using it alongside matrix for ages.
10:08am 10/12/12 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
499 posts
Got any invites you'd be keen to share? I'd be eternally grateful if you could sling one my way...
10:17am 10/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5260 posts
yeah been trying to get into NZB.su but its invite only :( so much sad news :(
10:23am 10/12/12 Permalink
BEHUB
New South Wales
2140 posts
nzb.su is not invite only

Edit: Unless this has changed int he last 12 hours?
10:31am 10/12/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
230 posts
nzbs.in looks ok (it's another newznab site). Registrations are still open. They're adding some new hardware now that they've been getting hammered the last 24 hours.

I just got in on an nzb.su registration before they closed it. Similar to nzbs.in but a bit cleaner.

imo just get a decent news reader application and be happy. I've been trying out one this morning and it has been quite good.
10:39am 10/12/12 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1518 posts
I'm part of nzbs.org, but really wish I could access nzb.su or dognzb. matrix really was amazing when it was alive
10:52am 10/12/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7375 posts
nzbs.in looks ok (it's another newznab site).

According to reddit, they stole user data from another site so be careful with your info.
nzb.su is not invite only

Edit: Unless this has changed int he last 12 hours?

Yes many of the sites have closed registration in the last 12 hours ...
10:57am 10/12/12 Permalink
DoCZero
Melbourne, Victoria
143 posts
as a commerce person... there is demand.. and supply will be filled.. either legally. or illegally.. movie companies need to figure that out and become part of the solution/carrot.. not just the stick

I totally agree- I have bought every game I needed from steam - once I found it. A combination of cheap and convenience won me over. Now if there was steam for movies - where you could buy digial download moves for a couple of bucks , say < $5 / movie (and not a rental, but you have that in your playlist) - It would be a no brainer.
11:00am 10/12/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4118 posts
I would recommend that you add in additional Usenet providers many of whom are not implementing an automated system like astra. Get some backup providers
Who do you suggest?
11:01am 10/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16333 posts
still looking for nzb.su or dognzb invites
11:06am 10/12/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2875 posts
My astraweb account expires in a few weeks so I might give usenet a miss for a while and return to banging rocks against sticks. I had Newshosting as a back up for the last couple of months and never had any problems getting TV shows but that has also expired now.
11:26am 10/12/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7639 posts
I would recommend that you add in additional Usenet providers many of whom are not implementing an automated system like astra. Get some backup providers

Who do you suggest?

I too would like to know!
11:28am 10/12/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7376 posts
I've been using blocknews as a backup to astraweb. Depending on how much you download per month, the pricing scheme may or may not suit you. They have a sister site for monthly subscriptions instead of block quota ...
11:32am 10/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13220 posts
still looking for nzb.su or dognzb invites
11:34am 10/12/12 Permalink
Snakeman
Queensland
861 posts
This sucks. I don't want to go back to torrents. I'm getting 8meg a sec on astraweb and its gonna be hard to use a torrent after this.
11:42am 10/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16334 posts
dognzb have halted invites for now. :(
11:51am 10/12/12 Permalink
Sip
Brisbane, Queensland
558 posts
Well I managed to make good use of nzbmatrix before it went under..I think 1.5TB over 4 months hahaha...ahh 720p TV series.

If anyone has an invite for any other index I'll be eternally grateful.
11:56am 10/12/12 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1681 posts
new evidence discovered in mayan calendar!

http://www.slawed.net/images/mayanend.png
12:08pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1709 posts
This really is the apocalypse. I have all this astraweb quota and no where to download from :(
12:50pm 10/12/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2876 posts
It wouldn't be such a big deal if there were viable legit alternatives. Most of the legal streaming avenues that have releases the same as air-date are region locked for Australians, most are even free.

I have a trial of Quickflicks and it is more or less a steaming pile of poo for streaming. They have a bunch of old movies available at low DVD resolution and new releases that they will deliver free to your door, cost $5 to stream online for a short period of time.

That's right, they will mail you a physical copy as part of your subscription at no extra cost but charge you a premium to stream a low resolution version.

Until they fix the clusterf*** that is licensing I can't see Australians getting any worthwhile legit alternative to Usenet/Torrents.
01:42pm 10/12/12 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1682 posts
Netflix is ~supposed~ to be looking to come to AU.

be interesting to see how crippled its AU catalogue is.

Netflix imo is one of the best subscription models out there.
01:54pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13223 posts
How hard is it to VPN or whetever up a netflix subscription?
02:00pm 10/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5261 posts
How hard is it to VPN or whetever up a netflix subscription?

easy and cheap but netflix is actually really crap... definitely not worth the $8 a month... movies are old!!
02:02pm 10/12/12 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1683 posts
easy and cheap but netflix is actually really crap... definitely not worth the $8 a month... movies are old!!

Movies aren't as good as they where, Amount of TV Shows Available are excellent, Certainly not as they air release for new stuff, closer to 6-9 months.

about 9months ago they lost FOX content, and universal ? i think the movies dropped big time then, I believe universal might be back, but not as big as it was.

There where often times Netflix had stuff just as fast as Itunes had it available for rent.
02:42pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20358 posts
Give me a service where I can stream HD episodes of tv shows as soon as they air, and I'd happily pay for it.
02:51pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13860 posts
Give me a service where I can stream HD episodes of tv shows as soon as they air, and I'd happily pay for it.

This.

The lethargic death of FTA commercial TV is one of the most mind-boggling things to witness so far with tech trends IMO.
This really is the apocalypse. I have all this astraweb quota and no where to download from :(

?

binsearch.info (has https too)
03:03pm 10/12/12 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
2034 posts

plz :)
03:03pm 10/12/12 Permalink
CubanPete
Brisbane, Queensland
67 posts
Screw paying to pirate. Torrents all the way
03:10pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1710 posts
binsearch.info (has https too)

Earlier on I tried all sorts of nzb sites and kept downloading annoying rar files with passwords not included or broken files. nzbmatrix just worked. I'll give this a go but I'm probably switching back to torrents for all my linux operating systems if it's too tedious.
07:08pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13224 posts

Yeh sigh.
07:32pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34697 posts
if anyone else is interested in a service that's as fast as newsgroups, and does all the same stuff (unzips, names media, automatically downloads etc), is FREE (ie you dont pay for it) and still around, let me know.

i have torrentleech invites to give out.

lolz

(ps, give us a big kiss hoggy)
07:47pm 10/12/12 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2514 posts
Sigh.
08:00pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34700 posts
08:02pm 10/12/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7379 posts
and does all the same stuff (unzips, names media, automatically downloads etc), is FREE (ie you dont pay for it) and still around, let me know.

i have torrentleech invites to give out.

Not exactly the same as usenet due to requiring uploading (minimum seeding times and a minimum upload ratio). Bad news for anyone in Australia as:

1. most internet plans here count traffic both ways, so having to upload eats through your quota
2. people on RIMs are screwed, as it's hard to upload when you're capped at ~32kB/s and on very expensive, low-quota ADSL1 plans due to not being able to get ADSL2.

However, it's hard to shut down these sites as they're fairly isolated and private. So stop offering invites :)
08:12pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34702 posts
ive never been close to my monthly usage and i upload 24/7, so yer, thats not really an issue unless you have some crappy internet, or download compulsively.

people on s***** rim lines cant download at any speed anyway, so it doesnt really matter whether they can upload or not.
08:17pm 10/12/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7380 posts
people on s***** rim lines cant download at any speed anyway

Huh? RIM'd lines generally have a higher signal strength and quality than regular ADSL lines as the ADSL cabinet is usually just down the street rather than a suburb or two away, and the copper cable was probably only installed in the last 10 years.

Two things kill the fun:

1. the asymmetry of Telstra's line limit (8Mbit/384kBit) i.e. I can download at 800kB/s which is fast enough, but upload speed is capped at around 32-35kB/s even though I have extremely good signal strength, rather than the awesome 90-200kB/s that you can get on ADSL2 depending on your plan/distance.

2. on a RIM you generally get 1/3 to 1/2 the quota for the same price than an ADSL2 person is paying, thanks to Telstra's expensive wholesale pricing So while you may get along fine on an ADSL2 or cable plan, the RIM guy is getting rimmed with significantly less quota.

You can get ADSL2 at some upgraded RIMs, but unfortunately not all :(

last edited by parabol at 20:32:15 10/Dec/12
08:26pm 10/12/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1064 posts
I have ADSL 2 Off net. Maximum 20mb down and 2mb up I think. I have gotten 2mb download from origin but that is the fastest I have seen. Mostly get 50-200kbps on websites and 50-700 on torrents depending on the quality and peers and seeds.

I have tried some sort of usenet before and downloaded a couple of videos but it seems complex. Most probably because I used the free stuff and program. I like the idea of it but I need someone to explain it to me as if I was a 6yr old. Is UseNet going down the drain or is this just a small hurdle for the tekkies that still want their favourite episodes of "How I met your mother" and "Dexter"?
08:42pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34703 posts
I can download at 800kB/s which is fast enough

i would be raging if that was fast as i could download
08:43pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4261 posts
I can download at 800kB/s which is fast enough

i would be raging if that was fast as i could download

lol.. id be complaining to my isp if my downloads were that slow.

Well it looks like my journey will change again:

1990's = Napster
Early 2000's = Kazaa and similar until constant internet shutdown from ISP and abusive letters from american anti-piracy agencies
Early 2000's = used usenet for a bit but it was s*** back then
200?-2006~ = Direct connect
2006-2008~ = private ftps
2008-2011~ = rapidshare,etc similars (until megaupload events caused an industry wide f***over)
2011-2012 = usenet + nzbmatrix
Now+ = private proxy + back to Direct connect
08:59pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9851 posts
All the other sites are closing reg's lol

One site goes off the air and the internet turns to s***. I had to laugh at spook, even though he is a d*** loving torrent nancy boy :)
09:00pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34704 posts
sorry bro, just being a pro internet user, quit hatin
09:05pm 10/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5662 posts
I have to ask spook you ever pull down torrents at 30-50MB/s ??
09:27pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13225 posts
Can anyone recommend a good VPN service?

Heh I have a 5meg connection (sop like 4-500k tops). As if this country needs an NBN!
09:37pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9961 posts
VPN Service for what?
09:41pm 10/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5663 posts
See if smashcrab is still running his, eds I will let you know how the indexer goes, more than likely throw it on my one of the xen hosts when I get some time
10:03pm 10/12/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10409 posts
i'm with spook on this one

paying for downloads? what?
10:03pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4264 posts
paying for downloads? what?

its the only way i could get streams of your mum
10:09pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9962 posts
Herbal, Iv got mine up and running, its pulled about 3gb of headers atm and is half done so the initial is a bit hefty but should be finished by the morning. Hopefully I did it right :D
10:20pm 10/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5664 posts
You opt for nab or nabplus, here is me thinking it would be a couple of hundred gig
10:23pm 10/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8338 posts
Whats the legality side of things with indexing, because if it's as easy as that how to is then I'll throw one up on a server somewhere for everyone except spook.
10:29pm 10/12/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2793 posts
can't find any of the shows aired today on nzb sites :(
10:35pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13861 posts
Earlier on I tried all sorts of nzb sites and kept downloading annoying rar files with passwords not included or broken files.

binsearch flags passworded archives. Just avoid them.
10:37pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Crunch
Perth, Western Australia
1107 posts
Of greater concern, newzxxx.com is also down. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10:43pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20360 posts
binsearch is pointless for using with stuff like sickbeard, only really any good for manually searching, if you know exactly what you're searching for.
10:49pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9963 posts
Herbal, i went for the plus because it comes with all the regex and I couldnt be f***ed figuring out how to write them :D

Was $15 and has a heap of nice features.
10:56pm 10/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16336 posts
binsearch is pointless for using with stuff like sickbeard, only really any good for manually searching, if you know exactly what you're searching for.

use predb.me instead of binsearch.
11:00pm 10/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3670 posts
i'm with spook on this one paying for downloads? what?
11:01pm 10/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16337 posts
$50 for $1000+ worth of content, downloaded at exceptional speeds, is definitely worth it.
11:05pm 10/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3671 posts
downloaded at exceptional speeds, is definitely worth it.

if i had exceptional speeds to start with :-(

smashing out a single dl now at 127 KB/s. yep that's not a typo people, life in the outer burbs for the next 2 years before my NBN comes along.

luckily I'm a patient man, i just queue s*** up over night and let rip.

looking at upgrading my fans, my PC sizzles under these speeds.
11:49pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20362 posts
Thats why I like usenet and sickbeard, I don't even need to queue things up, I just think "hrmm, might watch something" and everything is already downloaded, copied into the right folders, with the right names, ready to watch.
11:59pm 10/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8339 posts
Eds/Herbal - did you just run the installer, activate some newsgroups and then run the update_binaries & update_releases scripts? It looks like the update_binaries does things but the releases shows nothing processed. I even set the backfill age to 365 days for the newsgroups I turned on.
12:02am 11/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34705 posts

i just max out my connection, so usually 7/8mb/s

04:10am 11/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34706 posts
quick speed run for you this morning downloading the most recent ep of dexter
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~c.broughton3/torrents_rule.png
05:54am 11/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5262 posts
you using sickberad own search engine it happily downloaded homeland for me yesterday
10:29am 11/12/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9964 posts
Eds/Herbal - did you just run the installer, activate some newsgroups and then run the update_binaries & update_releases scripts? It looks like the update_binaries does things but the releases shows nothing processed. I even set the backfill age to 365 days for the newsgroups I turned on.

Are you using the free one? If you use the free version, you have to write or find your own regex for the releases script to work out what the binaries actually are.

I bought it because it includes all that. You do have to do a SVN update once you buy it. Mine so far has created 70,000 releases and is still processing 8120 NFO files.

Thats only for a couple of days worth.
11:05am 11/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16338 posts
how many GB downloaded is that?
12:57pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1711 posts
Yea sickbeard is still magically pulling things down from heaven for me
03:37pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8231 posts
Has anyone been able to get Sickbeard to launch on startup in Windows 8? When I was running Windows 7 it was just a simple shortcut in the startup folder that made it work, however Windows 8's startup folder doesn't seem to recognise it or do anything with the shortcut.
03:48pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20367 posts
Launches for me on startup in Windows 8, I didn't change anything from how it worked in Windows 7, after I upgraded to Windows 8 it just worked.
03:51pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8232 posts
Launches for me on startup in Windows 8, I didn't change anything from how it worked in Windows 7, after I upgraded to Windows 8 it just worked.
Hmm, I think I might have to do a re-install, a few things like Steam, Skype and Serviio aren't starting up automatically. Do you have UAC on at all Khel?
03:57pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34715 posts
Do you have UAC on at all Khel?

/shudders
03:57pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9965 posts
how many GB downloaded is that?

Im pulling a s***load down still (might finish tomorrow at this rate) and its done around 7Gb so far
05:43pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20368 posts
Hmm, I think I might have to do a re-install, a few things like Steam, Skype and Serviio aren't starting up automatically. Do you have UAC on at all Khel?

Don't think so, at least, I had it off in Windows 7 and I'd assume it brought my settings accross so I still have it off now. Most stuff starts up fine for me on startup, except the drivers for my creative sound card, I always have no sound when windows starts until I manually open up the driver console and flick some settings on and off to make it initialise itself.
06:32pm 11/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16340 posts
Im pulling a s***load down still (might finish tomorrow at this rate) and its done around 7Gb so far

hmmm not bad. thought it would be a s***load more than that.
06:50pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13226 posts
I've never felt the need to disable UAC (well not since Vista SP1 anyway).

Every now and then a thing pops up to point out that I'm about to do some srs business to the computer and I click it to give it the nod. Seems reasonable and analogous to su-ing...

Am I missing something?
07:01pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34719 posts
uac is for mother and father users.
08:35pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13228 posts
uac is for mother and father users.

you're a father
09:39pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34723 posts
i meant old people
09:44pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13229 posts
yer kinda old too!
10:17pm 11/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2387 posts
uac is for grandmother and grandfather users.

Fixed!
10:21pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13864 posts
I have UAC on and I like it *shrug*
10:38pm 11/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21932 posts
What's a UAC?
10:39pm 11/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16341 posts
user account control i'm guessing
10:45pm 11/12/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7382 posts
10:49pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8235 posts
C wut u did thar. Also NZB.su is giving me a 404 page now, that was quick.
11:49pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1712 posts
try nzb.su/index.php

looks like they disabled the main page in IIS to lower traffic to the site. do you have an invite?
12:04am 12/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8236 posts
try nzb.su/index.phplooks like they disabled the main page in IIS to lower traffic to the site. do you have an invite?
Ah that seems to have done the job. No sadly invites have been closed and no real ETA on when they will be back, most likely after this storm.
12:11am 12/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5624 posts
Does internode still offer usenet services? What are the settings for it?
12:16am 12/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5266 posts
yes greazy they do... its just news.internode.on.net port 119 and no username or password
10:21am 12/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16344 posts
im guessing only internode customers can use that?
10:58am 12/12/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8106 posts
I leave UAC on, it hasn't bothered me since Vista. I hardly ever see the prompt.
11:11am 12/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34729 posts
its the first thing i turn off on my installs, i dont need no computer nannying me.
11:12am 12/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5667 posts
I honestly don't know if anyone has seen the funny side of this. But since they have shut their doors, its spawned most of the users to build their own private indexers, and that's a FACT!

05:08pm 12/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34733 posts
one upside from this whole tragic mess, is the number of pms ive been getting from important qglians requesting invites to the torrent site i use.

ive never felt more popular.
05:13pm 12/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16345 posts
i might look into building my own but i don't have a spare machine :(
05:17pm 12/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5273 posts
well my sickbeard and couchpotato still works with out newbin and nzbmatrix :)
05:18pm 12/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5668 posts
ravn0s you got some spare cores on your machine?? Or can you throw some coin at linode
05:20pm 12/12/12 Permalink
Splash
Brisbane, Queensland
2698 posts
Eds check your PMs
06:39pm 12/12/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5080 posts
Speaking of that Spook, I notice that you are responsible for everyone you invite, so if I had a low ratio enough to be booted off you could get in trouble. Good thing I'm a VIP then eh?
06:42pm 12/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34736 posts
yer, very true dm. luckily most of the guys ive invited are good at community, so ive been fine.
06:47pm 12/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5629 posts
yes greazy they do... its just news.internode.on.net port 119 and no username or password

Thanks tits. I just step it up and I downloaded a file but at around 200-400kbs. Am I missing something here?
07:16pm 12/12/12 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6072 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but indexes just give a list of files that are available, once you have the nzb the index no longer has a part to play.

The files need to be available to download from your usenet server, which is where the major problem lies as most usenet operators are getting take down notices which most are complying with.

So running your own indexer is only going to allow you to know was there possibly still there? You still need to be able to find a usenet server which still has it available and hasn't taken it down.

The problem i'm currently having is linux isos failing to finish because rars or pars have been removed.
Running your own indexer can't help this can it?
07:21pm 12/12/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1714 posts
correct
07:53pm 12/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16366 posts
i'm finding it impossible to get any shows now. are they just being removed from the usenet providers before they even appear on the indexers?
04:07pm 14/12/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7642 posts
The files need to be available to download from your usenet server, which is where the major problem lies as most usenet operators are getting take down notices which most are complying with.

Thats exactly what the problem is.

Astraweb / Highwinds etc. are fulfilling DCMA takedown notices faster than and more often than they have previously.

Time to find a good private torrent tracker :D
04:10pm 14/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5289 posts
Thanks tits. I just step it up and I downloaded a file but at around 200-400kbs. Am I missing something here?

yeah add more connections depending on speeds you get at home make it from 8-12 connections

Also im having no problems downloading stuff using Sickberad and couchpototo own search engine.
04:14pm 14/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16367 posts
Astraweb / Highwinds etc. are fulfilling DCMA takedown notices faster than and more often than they have previously.

i'm with astra :(
04:20pm 14/12/12 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
2036 posts
well my sickbeard and couchpotato still works with out newbin and nzbmatrix :)

how how how
12:13am 15/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5675 posts
Astraweb / Highwinds media are not the only upstream providers.

Check out the following image
http://i.imgur.com/kU7k9.png

Currently I am running with
News Demon
xsusenet
just4today

Very rarely do I get incomplete par's ra's

Currently have newznabplus running
Xen Guest: Ubuntu 12.04LTS
1 e5606 core
4gb of ram
40gb hdd

lame
media info
ffmpeg

yet to get sphinx running but given how large its getting its going to be slow searching without it so I will look at getting it running

Grabbed my own api's and added some addition regex

groups
boneless (backfill 10days)
teevee (backfill 15days)
linux.iso (backfill 10days)

Growth so far is 7gb and growing
10:28am 15/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34759 posts
hey herballizard, i have a torrent invite for you if you need it!
10:42am 15/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5677 posts
We will see spook thanks though I really do prefer usenet to torrent purely for speed. Again it has some of the same sort of failings as torrents as its only as strong as its weakest link.

Besides I get to build another server for something and have a peak at what its doing under the hood

last edited by HerbalLizard at 11:35:55 15/Dec/12
11:32am 15/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8343 posts
you said the next invite would be mine spook :(
12:32pm 15/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8344 posts
Herbal what other groups are you going for and how is the backfill going? I set my backfill for 365 days on the movies/tv groups but it only shows up a dozen or so releases.

Astraweb is the news provider.
12:34pm 15/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5680 posts
I gave astra the flick far too much dmca s*** going on there, and with little regard to legit content. Maybe try another provider
12:45pm 15/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3706 posts
Why do you need invites for torrents?

03:34pm 15/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16370 posts
privacy
04:03pm 15/12/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7383 posts
closed community + eliteness = high speeds, no fakes, no legal takedowns
04:58pm 15/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34762 posts
community
07:52pm 15/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3707 posts
ahh ok. guess my public torrenting has me flagged with the feds then
08:04pm 15/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16372 posts
they're coming for you
08:05pm 15/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34763 posts
start hitting your computer with a hammer RIGHT NOW
08:12pm 15/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1449 posts
Blerg, torrents are so much more inconvenient.
08:44pm 15/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34765 posts
are they?
sounds to me like you are just bad at torrents.
08:57pm 15/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1450 posts

are they?
sounds to me like you are just bad at torrents.

Yeah they are, back to the joys of seedbox/vpn - not a huge deal, just a waste of energy, plus have to reconfigure sickbeard.

And, while recently released s*** is fine, older stuff is still not well enough seeded. Usenet by definition does not have this issue.

last edited by simul at 21:05:32 15/Dec/12
09:03pm 15/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34766 posts
my torrents do everything for me, i dont do anything and all my media is downloaded and uncrunched and ready to go
09:04pm 15/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16373 posts
i would probably use private torrents if there wasn't an upload requirement.

09:26pm 15/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8347 posts
This missing parts thing is getting ridiculous! Can barely get a full ISO at all any more.
01:15pm 16/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5682 posts
Ticman grab another provider and then hit that s*** again
03:59pm 16/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8348 posts
I've got Astraweb+EU, Newsdemon+EU and TheCubeNet+EU setup and it's all failing.

On the plus side, just tried TweakNews and early indications are positive!
04:42pm 16/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5684 posts
I might grab an account with usenetserver nearly everyone on the newznab irc channel is raving about them
04:59pm 16/12/12 Permalink
shrapse
Brisbane, Queensland
3800 posts
usenetserver is good but only 20 connections, which isn't that bad

if you're only after the latest stuff and retention isn't an issue, frugalusenet.com (readnews) is king
05:13pm 16/12/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9966 posts
astraweb is f*****g and going down. Iv jumped over to supernews and its grabbing heaps mre releases
06:43pm 16/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16378 posts
does anyone else do 1000GB block for $50 like astraweb?
06:54pm 16/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8349 posts
Yeah heaps, but not for $50;

Tweaknews does 500Gb for EUR45
Newsdemon does 1000Gb for AUD$80.81 (also shameless referral URL)
Thecubenet does 750Gb for US$59.99 but there is specials around at the moment.

I've found Tweaknews & Newsdemon the best so far.
08:40pm 16/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16379 posts
cheers
08:45pm 16/12/12 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2442 posts
You people pay more then $20 a month for usenet access.... Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk.
09:17pm 16/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8350 posts
They're block plans, not monthly plans.
09:18pm 16/12/12 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2444 posts
That makes a bit more sense.
09:25pm 16/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16380 posts
i prefer the block plans over a monthly sub. i bought 1000GB off astra for $50 almost a year ago and i still have 380GB remaining.

last edited by ravn0s at 21:29:33 16/Dec/12
09:28pm 16/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5685 posts
I would be surprised if they had 380GB remaining on their servers
10:12pm 16/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19351 posts
whats so inconvenient about torrents? i reckon they are damn convenient.
10:17pm 16/12/12 Permalink
norman
Cairns, Queensland
1 posts
really pity for nzbmatrix, was not only a site, was a part of usenet history. Thre are stil another search engines like binsearch or rather good nzb search
05:54am 17/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4171 posts

except for the copyright trolls that harvest IPs

you can say "oh only use private trackers etc etc" but the so-called privacy there is clearly not worth the paper it isn't written on

my ISP was just hit with a subpoena or some kind of legal bumpf for a buttload of customer details for IP addresses that had allegedly downloaded Hurt Locker or something
08:09am 17/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34768 posts
You people pay more then $20 a month for usenet access.... Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk.

paying anything extra for a usenet account is some pretty hardcore fail.

my ISP was just hit with a subpoena or some kind of legal bumpf for a buttload of customer details for IP addresses that had allegedly downloaded Hurt Locker or something

were they? didnt the iinet court case prevent isp's from having to give over details? sounds like you have a s***** isp.

08:12am 17/12/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7384 posts
you can say "oh only use private trackers etc etc" but the so-called privacy there is clearly not worth the paper it isn't written on

You'll have to back that claim up with some evidence ...

(extra tip: sites like demonoid were not 'private')

last edited by parabol at 10:07:03 17/Dec/12
10:05am 17/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13236 posts

To be safe you need to use a private tracker, which requires something like a 40% upload requirement. Older releases tend to be less well seeded as well.
10:08am 17/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34769 posts
To be safe you need to use a private tracker, which requires something like a 40% upload requirement. Older releases tend to be less well seeded as well.

that seems to be much less of an inconvenience to me, than forking out additional cash each month, or having the indexer ive been using, disappear all together.
10:27am 17/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5290 posts
well im using internode usenet, with free search engines built into Sickbeard and Couchpotatoes and everything is still working fine ;)
10:44am 17/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4172 posts
were they? didnt the iinet court case prevent isp's from having to give over details? sounds like you have a s***** isp.

different jurisdiction but yeah, my isp isn't handing over the details without a court order, my point was that torrents allow the copyright trolls to gather IPs in the first place

You'll have to back that claim up with some evidence ...

cause only cool people can get invites to private trackers right
10:53am 17/12/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9967 posts
that seems to be much less of an inconvenience to me, than forking out additional cash each month, or having the indexer ive been using, disappear all together.

Cause torrent sites never disappear right.
11:03am 17/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34770 posts
Cause torrent sites never disappear right.

ive been with the one torrent site since i started using torrents.

on the odd occasion it doesnt have what i want (usually books), ive had great results using piratebay (its still up)

i actualyl get pretty decent speeds from most piratebay torrents, its free and requires no uploads.
11:36am 17/12/12 Permalink
59fifty
Brisbane, Queensland
981 posts
Whats easynews like?
11:39am 17/12/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1341 posts
Most annoying I just bought a new block of 1Tb from Astra a month ago and I don't think I'll get to use hadly any of it thanks to all the take downs. What is the recommended provider for best completion now?

On a side note I have a good dedicated Newznabplus site running (willing to share it with users here if anyone interested, but the backlog is limited), grabbing all the usual groups. Have a couple of questions though, any good recommendations for regex files to help clean up the indexing (so much crap out there)? anyone using Spinx and if so how much processing time does it add?
02:18pm 17/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16385 posts
if you've got sickbeard or couchpotato set up (checks indexers every 5 mins or so), you should be able to grab shows before they're taken down. for me there's only 2 shows that get taken down within an hour or 2. i haven't found any movies that i haven't been able to grab.
03:02pm 17/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5293 posts
just got email saying homeland was just completed :)
04:23pm 17/12/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5687 posts
Mass if you are running plus then go hit up the irc channel and get an nab id, which will also pull down the most recent regex you would be on what 1742 or something latest is 2600 or something
06:15pm 17/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21020 posts
06:36pm 17/12/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21149 posts
If anyone is interested, here is the addy for the Matrix message board. They've got it back up again so it might be handy if you ever chatted on there.

Matrix Reloaded
06:41pm 17/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34776 posts
that trog guy needs a haircut, bad.
07:03pm 17/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:03pm 17/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.