We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Pranked royal nurse found dead in suspected suicide
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16317 posts
this is damn crazy

THREE days after being duped by Australian radio presenters during a royal phone prank, a London nurse has been found dead after an apparent suicide.

Jacintha Saldanha, 46, a mother of two, was unable to be revived after being found unconscious at a nurses' accommodation block near London's exclusive King Edward VII Hospital at 9.35am (local time) on Friday.
02:14pm 08/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:14pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
279 posts
Sad story, but the rage being sent towards the DJs is ridiculous, its like they are the first radio DJs in history to do prank calls.
02:17pm 08/12/12 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
779 posts
If she killed herself over one prank call she deserved to die
02:28pm 08/12/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3692 posts
Have you ever overheard nurses talking to each other? Pecking line overkill. I'm guessing her boses, royal connection, etc was firm but understanding but the reaction from her peers would have been brutal.

Dk, depression, straw the camels back, etc?

last edited by mental at 14:41:46 08/Dec/12
02:39pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1374 posts
If she killed herself over one prank call she deserved to die

Way to be a complete a******...
02:42pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12392 posts
Crazy bout of social engineering i guess.. That time of morning is ripe for it aswell, you'd have nursing staff running around crazy to get patient charts and stuff up to date.. doing morning meds checks, food service people annoying everyone to dump meals etc etc etc... I guess she took her job seriously, which is a wonderful thing but its a real shame that all it took was a retarded attempt by the media to get in on the action to cause her that amount of grief.
02:43pm 08/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17578 posts
as i have said to others who have posted about it on facebook

committing suicide isn't the next logical choice for a regular normal person after something like this, it's not like she's the first person in history to get done by a radio prank call
02:51pm 08/12/12 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
780 posts
Way to be a complete a******...

yeah. but i am behind a keyboard. so i am safe
02:56pm 08/12/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8066 posts
She was killed by MI5/6

FFS, get it right.
02:58pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5486 posts
Coles and Telstra are pulling their ads, won't somebody think of the children nurses!?
02:58pm 08/12/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1276 posts
its like they are the first radio DJs in history to do prank calls.
it's not like she's the first person in history to get done by a radio prank call

Just shows what prank calls can do to people who are under stress and have issues. Just another negative for irresponsible broadcasting.

I'll be ROTFLMAO if the two DJs off themselves....

one can only hope...
02:59pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1375 posts
as i have said to others who have posted about it on facebook

committing suicide isn't the next logical choice for a regular normal person after something like this, it's not like she's the first person in history to get done by a radio prank call

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggshell_skull
03:00pm 08/12/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2872 posts
Yeah it's pretty obvious that this was a professional job done by the royals black bag-men, I've seen enough Jason Bourne movies to know that suicide = assassination cover-up. This is just what happens when a peasant displeases royalty, they are dealt with quietly.
03:00pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7544 posts
Disclaimer: I know MC personally.

But the whole situation is just bulls***. It's not Michael or Mel's fault the hospital did absolutely no verification of the caller before giving out sensitive information. It's not MC or Mel's fault that the UK tabloids published the details of the people responsible in the other end of the call (when Southern Cross Austereo didn't identify them in any way). It's not Austereo or any of their employees fault that the media then used that information UK tabloids dug up to harass and shame the nurses involved. It's not the legal teams fault the people involved in the call already had serious, secret issues that would lead them to take such drastic action as kill themselves which no normal person would consider.

Just like every other network and show, and the thousands in the history of Hot 30 Countdown, they performed another run-of-the-mill prank call which they rightly expected would get hung up on.

Blaming this on Southern Cross, any of its subsidiaries, or any of its staff, is just absurd. I hope MC and Mel return to their jobs on-air soon.
03:06pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5487 posts
But Raven!
The baying mob demands that somebody has to take the blame for this horrible senseless event, it might as well be some mean radio DJs from across the world that made a dumb phone call.
03:16pm 08/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9644 posts
Maybe she died of shame.

Its never just one thing with Suicide, its a series events that like funnel only lead to one escape route.
I see she was married with two kids ?
living in nurses quarters ?
maybe family problems ?

All the ppl that listened to it are just as guilty as the radio couple.
Coles have pulled advertising from the station.
Seems like thats the newest form of advertising, pretend you are socially responsible.

With all the controversy over Jones' 'died of shame' comment his ratings have actually increased.

03:45pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3943 posts
So who is to blame, the person that drove her five miles to the edge of a cliff or the person that nudged her the six inches to fall over the edge of it?

Its sad no matter what was the real cause and i feel bad for her and her family.
04:21pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4151 posts
it's a fair cop but society is to blame
04:35pm 08/12/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3693 posts
Everybody and nobody.
04:57pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20994 posts
Just shows what prank calls can do to people who are under stress and have issues. Just another negative for irresponsible broadcasting.

Prank calls shouldn't be the cause of suicide though, not unless someone just pranked you and told you your entire family died in a house fire or something. I'd say she had bigger issues. :(
05:18pm 08/12/12 Permalink
jaydub
Gold Coast, Queensland
108 posts

Prank calls shouldn't be the cause of suicide though, not unless someone just pranked you and told you your entire family died in a house fire or something. I'd say she had bigger issues. :(

I dunno.. the radio station i was listening to about the prank thought it was so funny how dumb someone could be to give out that info (not knowing she has died) so much so they thought it was a set up by the radio station. Imagine listening to everyone on the radio/tv/media in general, embarrassing you about how stupid it was, i think if it was a normal person she wouldn't have done anything to hurt herself but being a member of the royal family she must have felt so badly about it.. I dunno.. thats my 5cents
05:35pm 08/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3660 posts
this is a good article about it.
05:39pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7545 posts
So who is to blame, the person that drove her five miles to the edge of a cliff or the person that nudged her the six inches to fall over the edge of it?

Not a fair comparison. She still jumped on her own.
06:16pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4152 posts
it was a great prank that almost always would have harmed no one

really who knows what incidental contact you have with people today will set off a chain reaction that eventually leads to their demise?
06:50pm 08/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19318 posts
geez thats an extreme reaction
07:12pm 08/12/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10408 posts
commercial radio dj's are the scum of society and should be shot
07:13pm 08/12/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1277 posts
Not a fair comparison. She still jumped on her own.

Firstly, don't argue law when you know nothing about it.

Secondly, that example is obviously a murder case because the person was pushed over a cliff.

it was a great prank that almost always would have harmed no one

really who knows what incidental contact you have with people today will set off a chain reaction that eventually leads to their demise?

No it wasn't a great prank, tort law shows they are responsible;

"The Tort Law rule is based on the idea that it is fair for a defendant to compensate an injured person for the harm he actually caused. Therefore, the defendant must take the plaintiff “as he finds him,” invisible medical conditions and all. The defendant is not, however, required to show a higher duty of care to the eggshell plaintiff. The duty of care is the same whether or not a plaintiff has a pre-existing physical, mental or emotional condition. "

They would have to find proof that it was not them who started it.

I'm thinking likely they would get a conviction for manslaughter with a suspended sentence.

If anything it would stop prank calls and practical jokes.
07:16pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4153 posts
regardless of the victim's weakened state or otherwise - you're saying it's up to the defendant to prove that there *wasn't* a chain of causation between the act and the person's death?
07:29pm 08/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21904 posts
There is obviously heaps more to it. She had to have some pretty severe underlying issues to be driven to suicide over this. A mentally healthy person would easily shrug off the sort of humiliation she faced over this call.

So it is a really tricky situation. I always thought prank calls broadcast over the airwaves were a bit of a d*** move. Isn't it illegal to broadcast a conversation publicly that one of the people in the conversation believed was a private conversation? They should have asked her first if it was okay to broadcast I reckon, so the radio station is totally at fault here I think.
07:30pm 08/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16323 posts
i remembering reading that they got a lawyer in before doing the prank to make sure they weren't breaking any laws.

07:36pm 08/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21905 posts
Well despite the law, they still should have asked her if it's okay to broadcast. Why? To avoid situations like this.
07:48pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6109 posts
In Australia you can't use the recording in a court of law unless both parties know they're being recorded. However, recording it secretly and blasting it over the nations radio waves? That's A-OK,.
07:57pm 08/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3661 posts

there goes most of commercial radios drive time content.
07:57pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Hybr|d
Brisbane, Queensland
912 posts
Firstly, don't argue law when you know nothing about it.

No it wasn't a great prank, tort law shows they are responsible.

I'm thinking likely they would get a conviction for manslaughter with a suspended sentence.

Are you a lawyer? Because otherwise the above seems like a slight contradiction.

last edited by Hybr|d at 20:07:16 08/Dec/12
08:06pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4154 posts
also when did the discussion start being about law as opposed to common sense
08:13pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6110 posts

Good, maybe they can play some f*****g music.
08:32pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7546 posts
People would still b**** that what they're playing isn't music.
08:48pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20998 posts
The defendant is not, however, required to show a higher duty of care to the eggshell plaintiff. The duty of care is the same whether or not a plaintiff has a pre-existing physical, mental or emotional condition.
Doesn't this bit sort of mean you could just be an a****** to everyone because you're not required to show a higher level of care?

I would be happy if this were the case. There's nothing I hate more than the long boring drive through traffic while hearing some idiot making prank calls, people talking about how messed up their partner is, or how you happened to injure yourself as a kid doing normal things. JUST PLAY MUSIC ALREADY.
08:55pm 08/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3663 posts
Good, maybe they can play some f*****g music.

that's what your other devices are for. listen to ABC ftw!
08:59pm 08/12/12 Permalink
t
Brisbane, Queensland
221 posts
Don't know how anyone can stand commercial radio stations like B105 (owned by the same Austereo group).

It's the radio equivalent of the ads and celebrity "news" of news.com.au mixed with the banality of reddit.
09:21pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
309 posts
Can we remove threads for "technically-accurate-but-engineered-to-mislead thread title"?

Don't want this to become news.com.au or anything.
09:27pm 08/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8335 posts
I just think it's a good outcome that radio announcers who think prank calls are funny are taken off the air.
09:30pm 08/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21908 posts
I think it is possible to do funny prank calls but I think it's well beyond the talent of people involved with commercial radio to produce it. Radio people doing humour that involves peoples' emotions is like letting a retard play with fire.
09:32pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
21120 posts
There are so many prank-style tv shows and everyone laughs like a son of a b**** at those. No one would have cared about this nurse if she didn't commit suicide. But she did and now everyone is blaming the radio station.

You know what would be hilarious. If the nurse wasn't dead and the hospital was punking the 2Day FM station. Now that would be awesome.
09:51pm 08/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16325 posts
the british tabloids should probably be held semi-accountable for naming and shaming her. the radio station didn't name her when playing the prank.

Can we remove threads for "technically-accurate-but-engineered-to-mislead thread title"?

does it meet your standards now?

last edited by ravn0s at 22:09:43 08/Dec/12
10:06pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3944 posts
I am sure many of you have heard this before and it's about the only radio prank thats ever got a laugh out of me.

10:07pm 08/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21909 posts
I love this one

10:41pm 08/12/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8050 posts
All advertising has been taken off the radio station "out of respect to the advertisers"

I LOL'D

When I heard "out of respect" i thought he was going to say for the dead woman's family or something, or even "to the sensitivity of this matter". No, it's purely a business decision. They don't want people phoning up their advertisers and harassing them in to not advertising on their radio station, so they've pulled all advertising until Monday.
10:43pm 08/12/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9787 posts
But the whole situation is just bulls***. It's not Michael or Mel's fault the hospital did absolutely no verification of the caller before giving out sensitive information.

you're right man, but in this case - someone is dead, 'the powers that be' are going to be pissed off, and that means even less freedoms. If anything, I'm thinking of our American cousins atm.

This won't go well...

*btw*... I don't know for sure if 'as Australian citizens' we're legally allowed to impersonate cops/federal employees/members of parliment/members of the English Royal Family.. but I get the feeling that crunch time is coming

last edited by koopz at 22:48:27 08/Dec/12

last edited by koopz at 22:50:15 08/Dec/12
10:45pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Kimbo
Melbourne, Victoria
537 posts
How I see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Sandilands
- With the likes of this person (if you can call it that) still employed there.

Just have Australian Media Communications Authority come in and rip out the wiring. Investigating for use of a wire/telecommunications service for discussing confidential information publicly. Radio station will either lift its game or hopefully die in obscurity.

Yes, ACMA has the power to do that.

Least Howard Stern in the United States does things better, cause he designs the show to make people 'offended' and its intelligent and he has been doing it for years.
11:31pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Vash
3623 posts
where is faceman's theory of the royals having a part in her death?
11:37pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4843 posts
There are so many prank-style tv shows and everyone laughs like a son of a b**** at those.
Huh?
11:39pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3945 posts
Lol fpot I was suprised/impressed at how well they took it. I'd almost expeect Kyle to go on some rant about wasting talented peoples time.
11:56pm 08/12/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9789 posts
*btw*... I don't know for sure if 'as Australian citizens' we're legally allowed to impersonate cops/federal employees/members of parliment/members of the English Royal Family.. but I get the feeling that crunch time is coming

sorry chaps.. I wasn't so clear there.

what I meant to say was that impersonating anyone from any level of Govt is not okay.

if you need that dumbed down a little better, please contact your local member.

*edit*

it seems that the phrase 'local member' means to many here on this forum that you need to masterbate. This was not the meaning intended, and I do not wish you gentlemen to take it this way, though I do understand that you will indeed do what 'must be done'. As always... carry on chaps.
12:19am 09/12/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4260 posts
But the whole situation is just bulls***. It's not Michael or Mel's fault the hospital did absolutely no verification of the caller before giving out sensitive information.

yeah

- Wouldn't have the person picking up the phone known it was international (unless maybe they were using voip)
- Since when have mothers/fathers in law been allowed to call for information about a patient? why didn't they just give the phone to her?
- Why such a big fuss over morning sickness in the first place, don't most pregnant women get this and deal with it without hospital?

If Will didnt make Kate pregnant,
then she wouldnt have had morning sickness,
if she didnt have morning sickness then she wouldnt have gone to hospital,
if she didnt go to hospital the call wouldnt have been made,
if the call hadnt been made, the prank wouldnt have happened,
if the prank didnt happen then maybe the woman would have not killed herself at that particular point in time with media crawling all over it.
If the hospital had real security protocol the call wouldnt have been successful - it was someone else there who f***ed up and forwarded the call to her wasnt it?

So who's fault is it?
12:24am 09/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21910 posts
It's obviously Price William's for making Kate pregnant, duh.

No it's the radio station for playing a stupid prank that they knew would cause public humiliation.
12:39am 09/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4155 posts
pretty much everyone's fault except the woman's
12:42am 09/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8336 posts

It's obviously Price William's for making Kate pregnant, duh.

Can't blame the man ..

http://cdn02.cdn.egotastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/7400_kate-middleton-white-bikini-03-435x580.jpg
12:54am 09/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9645 posts
where is faceman's theory of the royals having a part in her death?

Im glad you raised this question Vash and by the way what happened with that rice girl ?

I suspect that Kates pregnancy is going to be "farmed out" in that she will have a surrogate.
This 'moola moola' over her morning sickness is a ruse to prepare the public for a "faux in untero"

Like what happened with That black female singer.
I dont know her name but they all sound the same.

Fake pregancies are all the rage.
Celebs that cant afford to disappear off the radar are letting Sub-continent Women have their babies and are faking the pregnancy phase.
kate is far to thin to carry a baby.
Thats not my opinion that the opinion of someone I know who knows such things.

Ive prolly blown your mind with waht Ive revealed so far but ...
it gets even deeper.
dont ask me to reveal more because i cant.
let me just say that David Icke... no, i cant say anymore.

01:08am 09/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19320 posts
quoting tort law like you actually know anything about the law, hurricane jim. that was a hilarious post.

any doubts any forum user here had before about your utter stupidity can be confirmed by that baffling load of bulls*** you just typed.

do you think you're smart while you're writing it? f***, i am still laughing.
01:09am 09/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3946 posts
Infi did you just regress to the age of ten because that post sure read like you did.
01:29am 09/12/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1312 posts
The presenters are lowest common denominator dunces and they could fall right off the map, but sadly a hundred other brainless morons would step up to take their spot because lots of people are thick and they want to listen to s***e like this.
02:17am 09/12/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8667 posts
One of the British papers headlines is "We'll Kill You Both".

I mean really.....
09:38am 09/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2382 posts
Well if there's one thing more annoying than radio hosts, it's British tabloid newspapers.

I think these kinds of pranks are pretty f*****g stupid and annoying but I think it's wrong to blame the radio hosts for her suicide. Suicide just isn't the rational response to falling for this so there were obviously much bigger and more important issues going on with her than just falling for a prank.

I also don't think the radio hosts should lose their job just because of what has happened as a result of the prank. If the radio station had listened to the prank and thought it was so s*** that the hosts should be fired (god if only that kind of thing happened!) then that's one thing, but it seems pretty irrational to fire them for doing something that the station would have otherwise been fine with just because of how this woman overreacted to it.

Same goes for pulling advertising. These things should only happen if they would have happened regardless of the reaction of the victim of the prank.
10:34am 09/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13215 posts
There are so many prank-style tv shows and everyone laughs like a son of a b**** at those.

There is the issue of consent. You consent to the broadcast when you send in the video.

Surely this is the end of inane pranks like this though. You can only use the 'we didn't think it could possibly lead to this' excuse once after all?
10:41am 09/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2383 posts
There is the issue of consent. You consent to the broadcast when you send in the video.

I think he's referring to candid camera shows, not funniest home video type shows.

Though I think that candid camera shows also need to get some sort of waiver/consent to broadcast from you.
10:51am 09/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34690 posts
Like what happened with That black female singer.
I dont know her name but they all sound the same.

beyonce!
11:00am 09/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13216 posts
I think he's referring to candid camera shows, not funniest home video type shows.Though I think that candid camera shows also need to get some sort of waiver/consent to broadcast from you.

Yeh, pretty sure they acquired consent before broadcast. Something like 'hey we made you look dumb we'll give you some $ if we can put it on the telly lol?'
11:16am 09/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4156 posts
Surely this is the end of inane pranks like this though. You can only use the 'we didn't think it could possibly lead to this' excuse once after all?

i suppose so, but if we wanted to prevent all of these Sliding Doors scenarios where the smallest incidental contact with someone (e.g. pretending to be the queen for five seconds) sets someone on a course to their eventual death, then we'd be banning a lot of things

i give prank calls a month to recover from the 'too soon' factor and that's about it
11:17am 09/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13217 posts
i suppose so, but if we wanted to prevent all of these Sliding Doors scenarios where the smallest incidental contact with someone (e.g. pretending to be the queen for five seconds) sets someone on a course to their eventual death, then we'd be banning a lot of things

Don't see how you got there from what I said, how about we just don't deliberately make d*******s of people and broadcast it to the world without their consent?
11:19am 09/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4157 posts
how about we just don't deliberately make d*******s of people and broadcast it to the world without their consent?

a lot of people would have agreed with you even before this incident happened - they find this kind of humour banal and unfunny, perhaps even a little callous at times (IMHO not in this case) - i'm certainly not going to lose any sleep if prank calls disappear from afternoon radio

but potentially deadly? never, and a lot of people seem to be making this accusation in retrospect where they wouldn't have thought it otherwise
11:48am 09/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13218 posts
but potentially deadly? never, and a lot of people seem to be making this accusation in retrospect where they wouldn't have thought it otherwise
It's possible to say that a reasonable person wouldn't have considered that potential outcome as remotely likely, but the case can't be made anymore. It happened, and there has been a huge s****torm.

Let's say they (or someone else) pulls another prank call in January and the prankee suicides. Do we now have a situation of culpability? Which brings us back to my point - surely this is the end of broadcasting this s*** without consent, would any lawyer give it the nod now?
12:50pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3948 posts
Perhaps i missed this detail but at what point did she find out she had been pranked? Did she find out right away from the djs themselves or did she wake up the next morning to find it plasterd all over the news?
01:26pm 09/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9650 posts
Never been a fan of Pranks.
Light hearted ones sure but to me, pranking is similar to Bullying.
Im a fair fight type of person i guess.

01:49pm 09/12/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
425 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggshell_skull

Except pranking isn't illegal, wrong or socially frowned apon. It's not like they punched a guy with a thin skull and killed them like the wiki suggests. If it were the case that they were berating her or causing un-due greif, then maybe there'd be a leg to stand on, but it was a terribly acted prank call that they even said they were surprised it worked.

From what I've heard, she wasnt even the person they spoke to most, she had at most 10 words to them and she transferred them to another ward.

It's like calling someone, asking their mother to put them on the phone, you do the whole "is your fridge running prank" and then their mother commits suicide later.

This wasn't even a "lets make someone look stupid intentionally and really make them feel stupid" type prank, it was just a prank call which wasn't even directed at the woman who died.

Bunch of media hyping and knee-jerk internet heroes.
03:49pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1230 posts
If it were the case that they were berating her or causing un-due greif,
Perception is everything and intent means nothing.

Clearly they did cause grief and the only person whose opinion means a damn on that subject is the person who believes or feels they are being done by.

This is the reason codes of conduct at work places exist. Just because you might not find something offensive or your intent is not offensive does not mean someone won't take offense to it.

The point people are making with other references with that wikipedia link etc. is that just as you don't know how someone may be physically/anatomically nor do you know how they are mentally.

last edited by Mephz at 19:01:44 09/Dec/12
06:58pm 09/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19321 posts
suggesting that any rational person would commit suicide over a prank is ridiculous.

other people lose their jobs, get put into bankruptcy, lose their house, have their spouse leave them, lose their children in a car accident or at schoolies, and they get on and live their lives, dealiong with the agony and heartbreak.

this nurse gets pranked and kills herself. 2gb has nothing to answer for. typical weak blame someone else society we have turned into. instead of pointing the finger look inwards - it's obvious she was already suffering depression or some other mental illness.
07:55pm 09/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17584 posts
the bleeding heart brigade in overdrive i see on the news tonight

really can't be bothered reading this thread because i'm sure they're on here too

THE RADIO PEOPLE MADE HER KILL HERSELF
07:59pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3949 posts
Mephz i think if you look a little further into it youll find that conduct at work in issues of harassment for example are judge upon what a reasonable persons response would be. So if the average peron would reasonably not be upset by it there is no case.

If it was judge on what ever gripe some tool had no matter how petty wed all be neck deep in legalbulls***.
08:22pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13219 posts
suggesting that any rational person would commit suicide over a prank is ridiculous.

Suggesting that a random person you call will be rational is also ridiculous. There is a much-publicised mental health epidemic.
other people lose their jobs, get put into bankruptcy, lose their house, have their spouse leave them, lose their children in a car accident or at schoolies, and they get on and live their lives, dealiong with the agony and heartbreak.

Sometimes they don't. The difference is that the radio station did it for ratings and did so deliberately. I don't get to tape and broadcast it when I fire someone and they cry! I don't think that we should be defending the right of radio stations to humiliate random people and broadcast it without their consent.

Its one thing for someone to prank their friend and have it go bad, quite another for a commercial entity to do so for profit.

A good corollary is the epic oversight that psychologists are required to go through to perform experiments that may cause mental anguish. This sort of thing is why.
THE RADIO PEOPLE MADE HER KILL HERSELF

The radio people made a mockery of someone and the person died as a direct result.
08:32pm 09/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19323 posts
The radio people made a mockery of someone and the person died as a direct result.

WRONG. There was an intervening thing called the person's free will that caused them to die at their own hand.

An example of direct causation is cutting the brakes to someone's car then them careening off a cliff when they try to use the brakes.

Would you also say that the bullies that cause a school student to go berserk, bring a shotgun to school and then kill 6 students responsible for those murders?

The nurse was clearly mentally ill. How many other people before have committed suicide from the millions of radio pranks prior to now?

Do we extend our disapproval to hidden camera? What about celebrity paparazzi, should that all be banned? Stop wrapping people in cotton wool.

This was a 0.3 out of 10 on the scale of rough s*** life can dish out.
10:25pm 09/12/12 Permalink
WirlWind
426 posts

Again, they didn't directly mock or do anything to the lady who died. They called up and claimed to be the family, then she transferred them through to another ward.

She did her job, it's not like they then turned around, put her name out in public and called her a moron for not picking up on the bad accents. From what I've heard, it was the British Tabloids that did that.

Your " I don't get to tape and broadcast it when I fire someone and they cry!" comment is so far beyond what actually took place that it's laughable. If they had called her back and called her stupid, named her or done anything else, I could say you had a point, but they did no such thing.

I'm not arguing in favour of a commercial entity "humiliating" someone, I'm trying to get the internet bandwagon to stop and think before going after 2 DJ's who did their job and are now getting death threats.

::EDIT:: http://perezhilton.com/2012-12-07-kate-middleton-nurse-jacintha-saldanha-found-dead-suicide-radio-prank-australian-djs-listen-here#.UMR2yYOsh8E

A link to a recording of the radio bit. I didn't hear anything that would be close to "making a mockery of someone".

She was the first person who answered, and put them through to the ward. Not the second person.
10:29pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1231 posts
it's obvious she was already suffering depression or some other mental illness.
Okay assuming she even was suffering from a mental illness or severe depression that makes it excusable to do something that causes her to commit suicide?

What makes a physical disability any more or less important than a psychological one?

You're really showing how naive you are and just adding to the problem.

Then just look at any of your friends and family, statistically at least one of them has or will suffer depression.

Think outside the box for a change .
10:45pm 09/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2384 posts
I think you're setting a really dangerous precedent there Hoggy.

At the end of the day her reaction to what they did was undeniably irrational. If everyone stopped doing anything that could possibly cause someone to react irrationally then everyone would basically have to stop doing anything ever. Treating everyone as if they're on the brink of suicide would be a massive overreaction.

That said, I think they should definitely require consent from the victims before being allowed to broadcast any s*** like this (which they obviously wouldn't have got in this case, so it would happily rule out a lot of these kinds of pranks).
11:13pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1232 posts
I think treating everyone as if they're on the brink of suicide would be a massive overreaction.

Why is there such a perceived difference between expectations of a physical and pyschological defect someone may have? Because its objectifiable?

You accept that if you physically strike someone that you may get unlucky and they die and that if that occurs you will be held criminally responsible.

Why not the same for pyschological issues?
Where there is malicious involvement from people out with the intent to humiliate or ostricise (examples) and something happens then why shouldn't there be potential for consequences?
11:23pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3950 posts
I really dont for a second think that the djs wanted to humiliate anyone, not the staff and not the hospital. I think this was more a case of them getting a laugh out of how far they could get psoing as royalty. S*** do you guy remember the chasers bulls*** a few years posing as dignitaries that s*** was f*****g hilarious and the punch line was holy s*** how did they pull that off.

That being said though when you do something no matter how lame you should accept part of the responsibility if s*** goes wrong. Its all fun and games until someone loses and eye isnt it but saying you didnt mean for X to happen doesnt make you any less responsible even if its only in the smallest possible way.

God know how seriously this poor woman took her job but it wouldnt be the first time someone has crashed to some incredible low over something most of us wouldnt bat an eye lid over. I dont want the djs hung out to dry because lets face it they aspire to entertain not to drive people to the depths of dispair. Had it been kyle sandilands abusing someone that resulted in the same outcome id view that completely differently, but thats just me.
11:41pm 09/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19324 posts
Why is there such a perceived difference between expectations of a physical and pyschological defect someone may have? Because its objectifiable?

because a punch to the face is a punch to the face. The direct or indirect cause of psychological trauma is very nebulous. I know it was entertaining to hear Hurricane Jim speak like a TV lawyer earlier but in reality the court test for a claim of damages under the tort of negligence includes a test for non-economic damages i.e. nervous shock.

The test for nervous shock was most recently reviewed by the Australian High Court in the case Tame v. NSW

In this case the court found the nervous shock test to be: whether it is reasonable to require one person to have in contemplation injury of the kind that has been suffered by another and to take reasonable care to guard against such injury.

In Tame, the High Court rejected an appeal by Mrs Tame, who developed a psychiatric condition after a NSW policeman compiled a police accident report that showed that she had a blood alcohol reading of 0.14, when in fact this was the reading of the other driver.

The appellant said she had hardly touched alcohol in 20 years and was upset and worried that people would find out about the entry and that her good name would be tarnished. The report was corrected and an apology sent, but the plaintiff became obsessed with the mistake, feeling she was being punished for some past misconduct and felt guilty. The stress led to depression requiring counselling.

The trial judge accepted that she had developed a psychotic depressive illness and post-traumatic stress disorder and found for the appellant. However, the NSW Court of Appeal held that in nervous shock cases, unless the defendant knows that the plaintiff is peculiarly susceptible to psychiatric damage, the defendant is entitled to assume that the plaintiff is a person of normal fortitude.

McHugh J found no duty of care existed, quoting Mason J in Wyong Shire Council v Shirt:

“a risk of injury which is remote in the sense it is extremely unlikely to occur may nevertheless constitute a foreseeable risk. A risk which is not far-fetched or fanciful is real and therefore foreseeable”.

The police officers were entitled to conclude that the risk of a normal person becoming mentally ill after reading an incorrect entry was so small that it could reasonably be disregarded.

For more on nervous shock generally read here.

last edited by infi at 23:52:54 09/Dec/12
11:51pm 09/12/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1278 posts
quoting tort law like you actually know anything about the law, hurricane jim. that was a hilarious post.

any doubts any forum user here had before about your utter stupidity can be confirmed by that baffling load of bulls*** you just typed.

do you think you're smart while you're writing it? f***, i am still laughing.

The ignorant always laugh.

Okay assuming she even was suffering from a mental illness or severe depression that makes it excusable to do something that causes her to commit suicide?

What makes a physical disability any more or less important than a psychological one?

You're really showing how naive you are and just adding to the problem.

Then just look at any of your friends and family, statistically at least one of them has or will suffer depression.

Think outside the box for a change .

Don't try to logic infi, one can't argue with leeches.
11:55pm 09/12/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7611 posts
this just reeks of mi5..

too bad she cant sell the movie rights.. o wait..
12:26am 10/12/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1233 posts
@ infi your example is one regarding an accidental mistake compared against people who act maliciously.
Regardless, a prank however harmless the intent is still has some person(s) experiencing a positive reward at another person(s) negative experience.
Which just isn't nice to begin with.

I think to completely disregard psychological health as being unimportant as per some peoples attitude is something that needs a little more consideration.

I am aware that the radio hosts did not name the person and I'm not saying the blame should be theirs entirely, probably whomever released identities should be held more accountable in this particular instance.

The net result as seen from the womans point of view very well could be seen as malicious.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.ncab.org.au/fourkindsofbullying/

lying and spreading rumours
negative facial or physical gestures, menacing or contemptuous looks
playing nasty jokes to embarrass and humiliate
mimicking unkindly
encouraging others to socially exclude someone
damaging someone's social reputation or social acceptance.
06:59am 10/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4159 posts
I'm interested in what ACMA will do

even though gotcha calls are s*** and there will be some self-censorship for the time being, where lawyers don't approve them for broadcast out of caution, surely an official crackdown is unlikely?

the standard for restricting freedom of speech has to be pretty limited - things like slander, threats and so on
08:34am 10/12/12 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1218 posts
Clearly this is Kevin Rudd's fault
08:43am 10/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34696 posts
no its not
08:43am 10/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7548 posts
If anything good is to come out of this, I hope it is to be that ALL calls broadcast over radio must have the consent of every person involved prior to broadcast.
Of course, it will never happen, because that would then have to extend to TV stations sticking a microphone in front of someones face and calling it 'news' or a 'current affair' *cough*, so networks will ensure they don't require permission to broadcast speaking to or about someone.
09:11am 10/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21916 posts
WRONG. There was an intervening thing called the person's free will that caused them to die at their own hand.
People who are suffering from severe depression don't act out of free will, they are at the mercy of their illness. Your person with the shotgun thing is absolutely ridiculous and it takes someone as dense as you to mention that as some sort of comparison to this particular case.
10:30am 10/12/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8668 posts
I blame global warming.
10:58am 10/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19325 posts
memphz bullying is repeated behaviour.

we aussies love a prank but we also have perfected the victim card. it's beautifully ironic.
11:06am 10/12/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1092 posts
I think something more is at play behind the suicide - no right minded person would off themselves over this.
11:41am 10/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7549 posts
If pranking someone was an effective way of causing them to kill themselves, assassins would have no need to use bullets and bombs - they'd just ring a radio station and humiliate the person in to committing suicide.
11:47am 10/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21918 posts
I think something more is at play behind the suicide - no right minded person would off themselves over this.
gee thanks for that! I think you may be the first person to mention this.
11:48am 10/12/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1093 posts
gee thanks for that! I think you may be the first person to mention this.

Sorry :( I'll be sure to shut the hell up in future. I am an idiot. I might as well just kill myself right now. I'll credit you in the suicide note.
11:56am 10/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21919 posts
Remember, no capital on fpot even if it's the first word of a sentence.
11:57am 10/12/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1316 posts
Touche arkter, if people were offing themselves because of prank calls, then the internet would've killed more people than cancer.
12:42pm 10/12/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1094 posts
Touche arkter, if people were offing themselves because of prank calls, then the internet would've killed more people than cancer.

hahaha yeah... "1 in 2 people die from facebook - call 13QUIT now'
12:47pm 10/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3499 posts
just a question, if the two hosts commit suicide, will the nurse be blamed for her actions?

imo, while in poor taste, the call did sweet f/a, the pressure from media, and possibly the places, friends and the hospital are more likely causes
02:27pm 10/12/12 Permalink
WirlWind
427 posts
just a question, if the two hosts commit suicide, will the nurse be blamed for her actions?imo, while in poor taste, the call did sweet f/a, the pressure from media, and possibly the places, friends and the hospital are more likely causes

This.

The wrong people got blamed, that's why this whole s****torm is f*****g stupid. They didn't name the lady and didn't even abuse her in any way. The lady didn't give out confidential info, she merely forwarded the call to the ward. If there was pressure that caused her to off herself, it wasn't from the DJ's.

It was either the media (I heard the british tabloids actually released her name first) or the hospital, probably a mix of both.
02:41pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7550 posts
Yeah, but the tabloids have to blame someone else - someone who's not them. Otherwise they'd look bad, and they can't have that.
02:59pm 10/12/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10566 posts
Kate has had a relapse into acute morning sickness. The british tabloids are reporting that this specifically is not a result of the suicide.
04:00pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5492 posts
Next up: The Austereo network putting out a press release stating that they're shocked and deeply saddened by the morning sickness relapse and will co-operate with any investigations as to whether they were responsible.
04:37pm 10/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9652 posts
Dont worry ACA tonight has the full story + interviews.
05:43pm 10/12/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1318 posts
Thank Christ, lets hope they blow the lid off this thing!
06:20pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7551 posts
Well that was painful to watch.
06:59pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3951 posts
So aparently when you want to be taken seriously you speak on ACA ...... seriously why the f*** would you go on air with those useless c****?
07:16pm 10/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21927 posts
Yeah I have seen the ad for that. Seeing them cry on ACA just brings out the massive cynic in me and I don't buy it for a second. ACA is just total and utter trash. I have only met one person in my life who doesn't think it was utterly terrible and it was my mate's mum who was some angry clueless little housewife.
07:29pm 10/12/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1319 posts
HAH!

Sources say they were too distraught to speak to Channel Ten's The Project.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-10/under-fire-djs-discuss-prank-call-tragedy/4419488
07:47pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34698 posts
wow, i didnt realise that they were radio djs AND actors.
07:48pm 10/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21928 posts
Media Watch guru Jonathon Homes weighs in clicky

Article pretty much says that they need to acquire consent before airing the call, and that it is against the broadcasting code to air a conversation that was thought to be private publicly. Their lawyers are going to have some arguing to do.
08:02pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34701 posts
they tried 5 times to get consent (apparently)
08:03pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5494 posts
That's their claim, and it's probably legit. Good luck to the lawyer arguing that attempting to acquire consent a handful of times is as good enough as actually acquiring consent though.
08:15pm 10/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7552 posts
I've had a chat with an industry mate thisarvo:

So aparently when you want to be taken seriously you speak on ACA ...... seriously why the f*** would you go on air with those useless c****?

Sources say they were too distraught to speak to Channel Ten's The Project.

SCA made a deal with Nine, Ten and Seven that they would do an interview with all three organisations on the condition none tried to claim any exclusivity. They were to be done sequentially however the Nine one was done first, and that was enough to really put Mel off.

There are questions as to whether or not Mel will return to work, at least in the near future. There were also big questions/rumours on whether Em (the executive producer) will have a job.
08:20pm 10/12/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2792 posts
any links to the aca/tt segment?
09:25pm 10/12/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8671 posts
^ basically it seems that the presenters were just 'doing their job'.

They made a call thinking it would get canned straight away, it didn't and it went on....

After it was finished the presenters gave the recording to the minions behind the scenes to determine if the content was 'air-able'. Said minions gave it the tick of approval. It was then aired.

They said all content is 'filtered' before it goes live. i.e. gets approval from producers etc.

It seems that the announcers have been hung out to dry. Damage was only done after the minions ok'd it. The presenters were asked to come up with a prank call, which they did. Then their boss approved it to go to air, now they are to blame.... They can't out the minions or they will definitely have no job to go back to.

Anyway, ACA is balls and I'm sure it's not the whole story but I think other 2DayFM employees/bosses should have faced the media as well.

last edited by mission at 22:16:32 10/Dec/12
10:15pm 10/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9653 posts
The interview failed to explain exactly what happened.
It was obvious the two of them had been told what to say and not stray from it.
Grimshaw is a terrible interviewer.

12:05am 11/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9654 posts
01:39am 11/12/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2794 posts
Having watched the ACA interview (i tried watching TT but it was somehow worse than ACA) I couldn't help but feel they've been told to stfu in regards to the processes of how the radio show is produced. I can't see how they can really hide it for long once investigations begin.

Yeah they're being hung out to dry right now but there is going to be some massive ass raping of the producers down the road once documentation shows the steps of production.
03:01am 11/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34707 posts
Grimshaw is a terrible interviewer.

how badly was she lit during that interview as well? old trac isnt the spring chicken she used to be. shes fat and old now :( and not even the good kind of fat like mel or sam from sunrise
06:01am 11/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5495 posts
Yeah I get that feeling too csirac - the big boss was cagey in the press conference about how the show was produced as well.

...We have a process and we're satisfied it was followed
...No, I"m not going to tell you what that process involves
...Will you stop asking stupid questions about what happened after the call was placed!
09:43am 11/12/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
317 posts
11:09pm 11/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3677 posts
sam from sunrise

She does it for me, nice and voluptuous.

Radio station to donate $500k to nurse's family

ABC News
11:35pm 11/12/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13179 posts
Scientist have a major breaktrhough with Leukemia treatment.

Yet the media go on and on about these radio hosts and whatnot.

There are so many good stories out there yet we get given this dribble that permeates through society like a filthy mind disease. Our society is so smothered by useless news, it is a wonder people even bother finding cures for diseases or generally being constructive because it really seems that society doesn't care.

Stop talking to people about this rot, talk to them about better things.
12:29am 12/12/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1102 posts
Stop talking to people about this rot, talk to them about better things.

+1 kids are dying face down in the mud all over the world and the media is more interested in what kardashians left ass cheek did on the weekend.
12:35pm 13/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3687 posts
+1 kids are dying face down in the mud all over the world and the media is more interested in what kardashians left ass cheek did on the weekend.

most of the media will only pander to popular demand. so as bad as they are the blame lies more with Mr/Mrs Public who lap this s*** up and make it trend on social media.

12:40pm 13/12/12 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
9103 posts
hahaha is this s*** for real, how slow must news be if this is all i am hearing about...

B**** got prank called, got in trouble at work and killed herself.

good on her... as if the world needs more weak minded people.

hope her kids do the same thing
01:35pm 13/12/12 Permalink
Agamemnon
Brisbane, Queensland
1113 posts
7 pages of this s*** on here, front page news still after how many days?

seriously... wtf
01:59pm 13/12/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1103 posts
hahaha is this s*** for real, how slow must news be if this is all i am hearing about...

B**** got prank called, got in trouble at work and killed herself.

good on her... as if the world needs more weak minded people.

hope her kids do the same thing
http://btr.michaelkwan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/toosoonjunior.jpg
02:12pm 13/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21948 posts
sc00bs is pretty f*****g edgy.
03:57pm 13/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:57pm 13/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.