We take a look at inXile's cRPG successor Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 Reviewed
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Apparently Gandhi is going to hell
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
1060 posts

God these people frustrate me with their beliefs.
12:57pm 07/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:57pm 07/12/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1305 posts
Brand is a c*** for letting these guys have airtime.

Just let the world forget about them.
01:00pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
2332 posts

Hahah Russell's the man
01:21pm 07/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17572 posts
haha brand is awesome

and a pretty smart guy (apart from letting katy perry go)

last edited by paveway at 13:35:00 07/Dec/12
01:33pm 07/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5258 posts
Yeah love Russell Brand! GOLD!
01:53pm 07/12/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3678 posts
You guys know he's doing a stand up show in Brisbane on Monday yeah? He's playing Melbourne tonight, I just can't afford to go this time around but I saw him a couple years ago and he's well worth going to see.

Linky
02:20pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20341 posts
He did one on tuesday as well, I had tickets but was then too sick to go :(
02:23pm 07/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9636 posts
Dont like Brandt but that was good the way he let them talk about their views.
Then pointed out some holes in their views.

The worst thing you can do to an extreme view is to try to silence it.
You get it out into the open and the more people discuss it the closer they get to the truth about the view.
02:55pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6939 posts
Oh jesus, two people arguing over what a magic man wants. One just thankfully comes to less annoying evidence free conclusions.
03:09pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5482 posts
Oh jesus, two people arguing over what a magic man wants.

He doesn't want love yet, just to get high awhile.

...try, try, try to understand...
03:24pm 07/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19308 posts
i saw russell on tuesday night and the audience was eating out of his hand. he is very charismatic and damn hilarious. his comedy is extremely vulgar in parts and at other times very philosophical. he engages in a lot of word play comedy which really appeals to me.

he does come across at times as a bit of a pseudo intellectual though. i doubt he has studied most of the s*** he talks about in any detail. but then again he is a millionaire A-list hollywood type so he can say what he likes right?

the $130 ticket was money well spent though.

last edited by infi at 16:05:56 07/Dec/12
04:00pm 07/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36604 posts
I saw this a couple weeks back and was actually surprised at Brand's eloquence. I thought he was just a bit of a clown but after I got over the horrible c***ney way he talks I thought he was quite interesting to listen to.

Anyone know if this was this filmed in the UK or the US?

edit: must've been the US I guess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church#UK_entry_ban
04:27pm 07/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5618 posts
Gandhi isn't a saint by lot of standards. He is a pacifist and had some "interesting ideas".
04:38pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6943 posts
I've watched bits and pieces of Brand around the place, and think that he's entertaining and eloquent, but there's also been a fair few times where he's come across as the caricature of a new age shallow idiot.
04:51pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34682 posts
his books were worth the read.
04:53pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7160 posts
the $130 ticket was money well spent though.
So i guess you were one of those chumps that ate right out of his hand, yeah?
05:03pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Ha
21 posts
Oh jesus, two people arguing over what a magic man wants. One just thankfully comes to less annoying evidence free conclusions.

05:17pm 07/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19310 posts
So i guess you were one of those chumps that ate right out of his hand, yeah?

I wasn't implying that they were chumps, I was implying that the audience were enthralled with what he had to say. Brand has an engaging delivery. He actually came down off the stage and walked the entire floor audience with a 100m mic cable giving people kisses, hugs and photos. There was only one security guard about 30m behind him.

It was a very unique experience.
05:38pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6944 posts

I'm... not ashamed to admit that I hate bulls*** and respond negatively to it? I do it about every topic, from conspiracies to science denial to alternative medicines to religious fantasy "facts".

If you watched the vid, you would see that they were both arguing about what the magic man in the sky from middle eastern mythology wants, and they both knew that they knew his one true will.

And hell, just because your "contribution" was so facepalm worthy - calling it a matter of "Internet" atheist complaining about religious oppression is a bit of a strawman, considering that I learned to be this way while being forced to go to churches and christian youth groups for decades, and never said anything about oppression in my criticism of those two, only pointed out that they were just two people having a witchdoctor disagreement, and both validate the other.
05:39pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Ha
22 posts
tell me more
05:50pm 07/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21898 posts
It's getting time for another Door hunt I reckon.
05:53pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6945 posts
Yeah my thoughts exactly.

Ha, if you're not trolling, if you can't process that then you are a failed sentient, and I'm sorry.
05:54pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Ha
23 posts
no i seriously like discussing religion and its implications for society on the internet and i'd like to do it with you, now, today.
05:59pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7163 posts
nerf is a militant and extreme atheist. In fact, the majority of this forum is an atheist in arms circle jerk that get together outside of the internet and talk about how religion makes people blow each other up, not realising they are the ones blowing each other up with c**** in their mouths, so in reality not a lot of talking happens in these circles but more humming, moaning and gagging. Not that that there's anything wrong with that because homosexuality is A OK right poofs!

and before you respond with a wall of text nerfy filled with logic and reason, do tell me more, in the post after. Seriously, i am so disengaged with this topic that I want to hear more!
06:15pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13125 posts
you sound like a well-adjusted and reasonable fellow fixah
06:21pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7164 posts
Is someone talking to me or was that just more humming?
06:33pm 07/12/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1309 posts
Why are you always trying to get a rise out of people?
06:38pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7165 posts
Not always, and in the times that i do, i guess I get a kick out of it. Bandwagons and sheep s*** me and I like being the one that swims against the tide (for a lack of a better analogy), though within reason not just for the hell of it, evidently with this very same post.

I hope this answers your question.

Kindest regards.
Fuxah
06:49pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4149 posts
people who are in, or are headed for hell according to WBC:

- you
- gays and everyone who doesn't persecute them
- US soldiers
- swedes
- unbaptised babies
- 9/11 victims
- pretty much everyone outside of WBC

as for exposing them by giving them publicity, that's what they want - their stated goal is simply to be heard, not even to convince people
06:49pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13126 posts
Bandwagons and sheep s*** me
lol
really
06:51pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6946 posts
talk about how religion makes people blow each other up

My primary issue is and always has been that you're letting yourself, and encouraging others to, be lied to. Playing along with fairy tails which I grew out of as a teen. Being scammed by witchdoctors.

I put being lied to up there in the core things which humans shouldn't do to each other just based on our common desires, along with rape, murder, and slavery, and so seeing witchdoctors/shamans/imams/priests/l ron hubbard/kim jong il/joseph smith/jim jones/braco/whoever lie to you, makes me extremely upset - particularly because it's been done to me and my family.

I have the same disdain for all bulls*** across the board, it has nothing to do with just your religion.
06:58pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7166 posts
lol really
Yeah, ask your mum, i rode her like a harley but for some reason she still baaaaa'd like a sheep.
06:58pm 07/12/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1310 posts
I hope this answers your question.

It does!
07:00pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Ha
25 posts
nerf i think you have a duty to let everyone on the internet know that religion is just unacceptable these days. you will be swimming against the tide, because totally rational religious enthusiasts are literally everywhere on the internet, but i believe in you and your cause. god speed. i mean, speed.
07:01pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13128 posts
totally rational religious enthusiasts
I see what you did there
07:04pm 07/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36607 posts
nerf i think you have a duty to let everyone on the internet know that religion is just unacceptable these days. you will be swimming against the tide, because totally rational religious enthusiasts are literally everywhere on the internet, but i believe in you and your cause. god speed. i mean, speed.
hahahaaha
07:07pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7167 posts
Ooooh the humming and groaning is getting louder! so much sprog flying in the air!
07:10pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6947 posts
Fixah, why do you purposefully do this to yourself? Jeering when you have a chance to reason?

You obviously don't get what people's criticisms of what you've been indoctrinated into are, yet when somebody explains you just switch to slippery avoidance?
07:14pm 07/12/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3690 posts
He tried that for ages, but no one paid much attention.
07:21pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7169 posts
tried what for ages?

and when somebody explains to me what? the big bang theory or the theory of evolution? please i got no time for that s***. Be thankful you're getting a rare glimpse of me with all my jeering remarks this Friday but I won't be here for long so do enjoy it while you can.
07:27pm 07/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21899 posts
Please don't tell me you are one of those dolts who say "evolution and the big bang? But it's just a theory!" because that is just really really dumb.
07:31pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6948 posts
tried what for ages?and when somebody explains to me what? the big bang theory or the theory of evolution? please i got no time for that s***. Be thankful you're getting a rare glimpse of me with all my jeering remarks this Friday but I won't be here for long so do enjoy it while you can.

No, what I literally just explained to you was my problem with religions/faceman's conspiracies/alternative 'medicines'/etc above, which you then ignored because it didn't give you the straw man 'atheist' that you wanted, and then started sneering. It's not about some fear that you're going to blow anybody up, nor a concern which I only exhibit towards your religion.

And yeah, when I was a pentecostal, I argued against evolution too. I know what it's like when you play these games of "let's believe mythology of ancient country x because others told us that as children". Imagine how stupid it would be if somebody believed in Zeus or the giant turtle which carried the world on its back, that's what you are doing when you're having fun with setting your standards of evidence impossibly low and letting whichever scammer gets to you first in life spin you an extremely tall and incredulous magic tale (suspiciously simple and human-like at that, just like primitive humans reasoned that the world was carried on the back of a turtle, or that the universe grew as part of the norse world tree, they simply extrapolated everything by looking at the things around them that they knew - and then some middle eastern primitives get that 'a man made it' - just like they knew at the time. It's up there with santa clause brings presents at christmas level of childish bulls***, and adults really are doing themselves a disservice by refusing to outgrow it).
07:48pm 07/12/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3691 posts
You tried giving honest answers about your religion and beliefs, then gave up, didn't you? You made heaps of posts and then threads would die or the threats headed in different directions.

last edited by mental at 19:53:35 07/Dec/12
07:51pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7171 posts
Please don't tell me you are one of those dolts who say "evolution and the big bang? But it's just a theory!" because that is just really really dumb.
dolts huh, woooow dude..for someone who's been on the forum for years openly declaring jihad Islam as my religious Abrahamic belief; a belief in God and in creationalism, what do you reckon? just take stab in the dark. Besides, i don't know about you, but I could fine a million and 1 things to do other than waste hours on about how the universe came to be on a forum filled with smug atheists.

You tried giving honest answers about your religion and beliefs, then gave up, didn't you? You made heaps of posts and then threads would die or the threats headed in different directions.
Yes i was open for discussion and attempted to answer any questions but i quickly saw how futile it all was. Now I don't bother. I really gain nothing out of it anyway and it's merely time lost that i'll never get back, so now i just stick to jeering remarks because at least i get entertainment value out of it.

Talking of other things to do, time's up! cheerio!
07:54pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6949 posts
Your problem here isn't that your'e dealing with "atheists", it's that you're dealing with an ex-religious person who has been burned by such scams as you are now and actually feels sorry for you, who also has an extremely low tolerance for bulls***. My (well known) frustration is the same across all topics, way beyond being limited to religion, and it has nothing to do with being an "atheist" (meaning not a theist, which of course I must be if I think that religion is bulls*** - it's the result, not the source - there's no divine prophet commanding to spread "not believing" by the word or the sword, so you can throw out any preconceptions that this is about following some evangelical doctrine, it's purely born of my own frustration and disappointment for you).
08:02pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7172 posts
Please don't feel sorry for me, i have come from a war torn country of decades and I have taken every opportunity i could get a hold of to get to where i am today as a person, and i only have God to thank for it and not anyone else. I have no regrets whatsoever and as it stands I have nothing to lose and only more to gain. You could say I am like f*****g Max Payne only he is fictional and i'm real living the here and now.

Out.
08:14pm 07/12/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1149 posts
I think the 10 commandments is some damn good moral direction.

I don't believe that a god exists. From my limited knowledge, religions are nothing more than a money making scam since the birth of mankind as we know it.

Nothing wrong with homosexuals either, I really don't think they have that much of a choice in their sexual compass as you or I do.

08:18pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7609 posts
i heard if their pickets get disrupted they can claim money from the government for anti free speech

which they have done a number of times
08:22pm 07/12/12 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
557 posts
Nerf, Fixah.........f*** up.

Now funny concept... Imagine Brand IS Jesus and everyone knows this accept for the Baptist church nuts.. I laughed....
08:24pm 07/12/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6199 posts
Not that I'm all for dung punching ( sexy lezzies are ok)

But honestly how many people have died at the hands of militant pillowbiters versus militant religious nutters and assorted evil c****?
08:25pm 07/12/12 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10458 posts
well lifelong bachelors like hitler were probably closeted so its hard to get an accurate count...
09:03pm 07/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21900 posts
Wasn't Hitler banging Eva Braun?
09:08pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3330 posts
Nobody would know who these idiots were if they were not given any attention.
09:10pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6950 posts
Please don't feel sorry for me, i have come from a war torn country of decades and I have taken every opportunity i could get a hold of to get to where i am today as a person

Too bad, I'm going to, but that's not why I'm feeling sorry for you. I'm feeling sorry for you for having had done to you what was done to me, the complete raping of your mind by scammers. The confounding of your innate human desire for truth which you almost certainly share the same with me.

and i only have God to thank for it

Compare this to other superstitious claims about the workings of things. "Whatever I was doing when x happened thus caused x", "My health is all because of goji berries", "I crashed my car because my star sign was at the opposite zenith at the exact same hour", "My cancer receded after I ate a spoonful of sugar and so should you, and definitely don't you listen to them cancer doctors." (if you look across the board at religious vs irreligious countries/communities/individuals, you'll notice a trend that doesn't fit with your claim that gods help people - why is god helping the people who don't believe in him more? You can dig the hole deeper and complicate the theory with whatever you can make up to fill the holes, or you can just realise that you're writing fiction to support an answer that you're holding before good enough evidence for it, and that the god idea was flawed to begin with and doesn't deserve to be defended that way).

Start with this: There have been a multitude of religions, populations who believed in supposed gods, priests telling everybody that they have the actual communication. Where did you gain information about this character called god? From people. And where did those people get it? From more primitive people before them. How often were primitive people right about pretty much anything? Well, basically never, half of human history has been throwing out the rubbish that primitive people dreamed up, and yet we're to believe that of all things they had everything about the entire universe worked out? (much bigger than say 'how to get clean water' or 'what is gravity' or 'how to cure disease' or 'are there other galaxies?' - we're to believe that they have the answer to the entire universe, but not those incredibly more simple things?).

Worse, we know from seeing people like L Ron Hubbard, Joseph Smith, the ancient greeks worshipping zeus or whoever, that people make up religions extremely easily, and will to exploit others, and that simply whatever you will be born into, you will likely believe and find extremely convincing. We know that the human mind is flawed in this way. We know that it happens. Yet despite your source being identical to all other sources - those which must be scams if yours is true - yours is somehow more trustworthy? By what virtue? Because it was told to you and you're so much more special than all those poor misled Greeks and Hindus and Christians and Scientologists and whatnot? Because you were born into that one and the universe clearly revolves around you, and if those other people think similarly they're just not right about theirs whereas you are? What if you were born into being told by the village shaman that an angry ghost lives on top of the mountain and must be given tribute of blood or bananas, or more likely, that you must give power/wealth/sex to the shaman? Why does [favoured religious claim x] have all the same properties as all the others? Is that the best that your god could do? Creates the entire universe, wants to communicate with people, only does it in a way that looks exactly like a regular human scam? You don't want to say "Well that was really f*****g stupid of you god, you made it impossible to differentiate between the creator of the entire universe and a multitude of regular human-made scams, there is no rational reason for somebody to listen to your religion over all the others, and it would make complete sense to presume a human scam a million times before presuming an actual real life all powerful god who acts impossibly suspiciously like a limited human fiction writer who couldn't even write a story which made much coherent sense under investigation" ?

We know from fiction that it's easy for humans to write things which aren't true. We know from history that there have been a countless number of incredibly tall claims which people believed fervently. We know from scams and pyramid schemes that it's extremely easy for humans to lie and give false answers, and easy to be misled.

We know that people will report witnessing magic for any old s***, to the point where most leading professional magicians seem to get so fed up with people scamming with these tricks, that they set out to bust them. We know that 'religious leaders' and miracle workers have a long history of protecting their power and wealth, and claiming to be the voice or representative or conduit to 'something powerful beyond' which they use to scare or promise. We know that regular human lying comes into play all the time here, yet some all powerful creator wanted to get a message through looking identical to one of those? Couldn't just, you know, paint it in the sky? Appear to each person? Of course it could. Yet all we have is something that looks identical to countless scams, and nothing like what an all powerful god could do.

---

If you'd like, as a fellow former 'rejecter' of evolution / the big bang / etc, I can at least explain these concepts to you in rather simple terms (I think) so that you can perhaps at best have a chance to recognise how impossibly well backed they are (by actual evidence, rather than somebody simply telling you that x is true when you're a kid depending on where you're born). You can at least know what you're rejecting then, because as a former fellow 'believer of what magic stories people told me as a kid' - I know what I'm rejecting in religion, and why evidence becomes so much more convincing.
09:37pm 07/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9638 posts
nerfy your extreme Atheism prevents you from exploring deeper aspects of Religion and Conspiracies.

Religion isnt just Invisible people and stopping gays marrying.
There are Philosophical aspects and wisdom built over thousands of years.
Religion is sometimes wrong but so is Science.

You wouldnt want ppl to stop believing in Science just because the Planet has stopped Warming would you ?

09:44pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6951 posts
extreme Atheism

What the hell is this even supposed to mean? That's like saying "Extreme not a believer in astrology" or "extreme not a north korean" when criticizing North Korea.

If anything is "extreme" about me, it's an extremely low fuse for bulls***, which you spout like nobody else I've ever seen, but particularly bulls*** done to me when I was young.

Religion is sometimes wrong

Oh I'm sorry, show me where "religion" was "right" and I'll be on my way.

believing in Science

Anybody who "believes" in "science" is an undereducated idiot. One recognises the useful historic accuracy of the scientific enterprise, and never considers its products more than the most accurate current predictions.
09:51pm 07/12/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10561 posts
show me where "religion" was "right"

they can easily bulls*** up an answer to this one
10:05pm 07/12/12 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6596 posts
Save yourself the trouble nerf, in the information age ignorance is a choice.
10:41pm 07/12/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1056 posts
I am happy to go along with scientific theory like the big bang, Because I was not there at the time to witness it. Later on a new theory might come along and it may be more plausible. I will not believe that there is a a creator of the universe and that it watches over us and apparently does stuff and but at same time has everything planned out.

This is where prayer makes no sense, If god has everything planned out for us (this is what I hear from my christen up bringing) anything we do is is to its plan. There is no choice. No amount of prayer will cure someone of cancer, if that person is going to pass away there is nothing any of us mere mortals can do about it. When someone dies unexpectedly I hear "everything is ment for a reason" and some crap about Gods plan.

It's like thanking god that someone has come through traumatic surgery alright when the operating surgeon is standing there with blood still on his gown.

Just for fun
http://imgur.com/dRxjX
http://imgur.com/G9JSC
11:43pm 07/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19316 posts
religion is like amway. It's a cult designed to bring more people online so upstream providers benefit.

Only an idiot would find salvation in gaining approval from an invisible omnipotent being. Believe in yourself ffs.

I liked how Russell Brand glorified meeting the Dalai Lama. The Tibetan Buddhists including the Dalai Lama infringed the civil liberties of their people just as the Chinese did.

Religion (like any witchdoctor) is a means for the minority to repress the masses by using undeniable gobbledyg***. Watch the Borgias. Religion is such a basic con, it's brilliant in its efficiency.
01:10am 08/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6952 posts
infi, you and I are going to completely agree on something now, it's going to be uncomfortable.

Though I tend to think of religion as identical to the zynga model - rope enough in, wait for the few who provide the big payouts and consider the rest 'spam'. Though I don't think that it's entirely intentional for many of the religious leaders, more so it organically grew (evolved) into a self perpetuating scam, a virus that infects not the biological body as the host, but the mind, and ensures that it is defended in its most successfully evolved forms.
01:17am 08/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2380 posts
You wouldnt want ppl to stop believing in Science just because the Planet has stopped Warming would you ?
There are so many things wrong with this sentence it actually made me laugh out loud.

Believing in science... haha, oh FaceMan!
http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/oh_you.jpg?w=720
02:34am 08/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20348 posts
People who try and hard-sell atheism are just as annoying as people who push religion. Its not like religious people are going to suddenly go "OMG you're right, I shall completely adjust my belief system because of what you just typed on the internet!" and likewise for the atheists. It just becomes a big echo chamber where all the internet atheists jerk each other off while doing armchair science.
02:52am 08/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5485 posts
^ I see you've visited /r/atheism Khel
03:03am 08/12/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1058 posts
True enough, Khel. Religion is like politics, you stick to your side unless something shakes the foundations of your beliefs/politics. Don't forget religious types love circle jerking with their beliefs as much as hard core net atheists do.

I agree with Nerf generally on what he is on about. Organised religions are a great way to dodge tax and control people and the way they think, perhaps not control but influence.

That is why the ACL is sticking its nose into things. It should stick to doing christian things and helping its followers instead of putting pressure on politicians to try and make Australia more christian like. It reminds me of Egypt at the Moment, the president wants to change the constitution to be more Islamic. Nothing wrong with that per se but it will apply to those who are not Islamic too, that is the problem.

Not sure where this topic is going, Im just ranting things that come to mind when I read this thread.
03:20am 08/12/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6953 posts
The "you can never change anybody's mind about religion" argument isn't very convincing to the ex-religious.

People who try and hard-sell atheism

What exactly do you think that 'atheism' is? The only purpose of the word that I can understand is for describing people who aren't religious, it's not an assertion or ideology or teaching which can be 'sold', it's just 'everybody who isn't north korean' for example. In a world where many people are theists, we need the word to describe ourselves, but it's not a "thing" or a reason for motivation.

Tbh I don't even like to describe myself as an atheist any more because of people's continuous referral to it as a thing as if that's a criticism, I instead prefer to enter these discussions defining myself as a pissed off ex-religious person who is frustrated by humans scamming humans, since that is my actual genuine motivation.
04:25am 08/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34687 posts
god i hate it when i have to agree with infi. it makes me question if im really right or not.
08:27am 08/12/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13129 posts
in the information age ignorance is a choice
just like hommo-sexuality
08:56am 08/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17573 posts
in the information age ignorance is a choice.

this is correct and to extend on from this i believe it is only a matter of time now before the religion problem sorts itself out as more and more people get access to information earlier in life

last edited by paveway at 09:08:32 08/Dec/12
09:04am 08/12/12 Permalink
Ha
26 posts
my god i guess science didn't save you from writing long diatribes on the internet for the entirety of a friday night.
09:08am 08/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2381 posts
I realise you're just trying to be intentionally inflammatory but that doesn't even make any sense, how would science save you from doing that in any way?

If you're going to make pointless posts intended only to annoy others they could at least be coherent.
09:27am 08/12/12 Permalink
Ha
27 posts
nothing can save us from all night religious debates. i reject science and religion and welcome faceman as my new path to spirituality.
09:42am 08/12/12 Permalink
jaydub
Gold Coast, Queensland
107 posts
This post made me go get my penn and teller dvd's out to watch this episode:

09:53am 08/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20350 posts
The "you can never change anybody's mind about religion" argument isn't very convincing to the ex-religious.

You can't change their mind, if they're going to change, its something they have to come to in their own time, based on their own experiences, writing a wall of text on the internet isn't going to save anyone or change anyone. I'm sure when you left religion it wasn't because some random guy you didn't know came up to you and said "Hey, you know this is all stupid", it was a decision you came to based upon your own experiences. Think about how passionately you feel about your side of the argument, now imagine the people on the other side feel just as passionately, if not MORE passionately about their beliefs, how do you expect to be able to change their mind?

What exactly do you think that 'atheism' is? The only purpose of the word that I can understand is for describing people who aren't religious, it's not an assertion or ideology or teaching which can be 'sold'

Sure it is, you can sell anything. What I'm talking about is the people who try and force their views on other people because they're of the belief that their views are the right ones and they're 'saving' the other people by trying to get them to understand the 'truth'. Its just arrogant, no matter what side you fall on or what 'truth' you're espousing, to think that you have all the answers, to think that its your responsibility to somehow enlighten all these poor lesser people, and to think that your words are somehow powerful enough to change the minds of people who have their own firmly held beliefs. Its ridiculous, its just noise.
12:03pm 08/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:03pm 08/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close