We take a look at Telltale's latest adventures in Gearbox's Borderlands to find out just what you can expect from this new adventure series.
Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 1: Zer0 Sum Reviewed
We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
Personal budget / finance software?
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20982 posts
Ok so I got bored and made a basic budget spreadsheet in openoffice's excel lookalike but I'd like something that's automagic in its wizardy.

I want to tell it how much I get per week, which will then automatically calculate how much that'll be a month I have, and how much a year. (did that in openoffice)

I also want to be able to tell it recurring monthly expenses like internet, tv, fuel average, etc. and have it subtract all of these from the total I earn (done this in openoffice)

I'd like it to also tell me an estimated amount I will have spare each week / month based on the previous two options (also done this)

The part I haven't done, is that I also want to be able to enter unforseen, or ever changing expenses like the phone bill (depends how many calls I make) or shopping bill, and any other rubbish that might just pop up out of the blue like having to get the car fixed, or go to the dentist when they crop up and have it automatically subtract them from the totals and tell me if I'm going to be in the red or black.

I don't need any kind of business aspects like invoices or anything. I've had a look at a couple of open source budget things but they weren't to my satisfaction.

Basically all I want is:
-input weekly income
-automatically calculate how much a month that is, total, and yearly total
-input fixed expenses, have them subtracted from the weekly / monthly / yearly totals
-be able to input fluctuating expenses on the fly without having to edit some spreadsheet manually.
-have it take all the info I give it and work out whether or not I'm going to be screwed the next time a bill comes
-pie charts and bar graphs are optional but a handy history of income / expenses might come in handy I guess.
-Not be a complicated mess.
-Not based online, or have any connection to "cloud based storage". I don't need to access my budget from anywhere in the world, nor do I want to and if the software comes with this, I'll consider it a major security risk and give it the big fat boot.

If this can be done in word + excel then too bad because I don't own a copy of office, nor do I ever plan to. I'd rather have a dedicated budgeting software thing. Also one that doesn't require monthly or yearly subscriptions for it to continue working.
11:45pm 06/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:45pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13194 posts
YNAB
12:19am 07/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20983 posts
I looked at quickens reckon personal 2013 and it looks like it does exactly what I want except it has all that online bulls***, requires me to log in to use it, and when I restarted it, it told me I was using it on a different computer to what I first installed it on. F*** off.

Will check out YNAB. ta.

edit: YNAB doesn't seem to predict anything. It won't tell me what the income is for the month, or add / subtract income / bills until after they've happened. F*** it, looks like I'll have to bite the bullet & use quicken's s***.
12:23am 07/12/12 Permalink
t
Brisbane, Queensland
219 posts
KMyMoney. Very much like Quicken, good interface, and free.
12:45am 07/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20984 posts
Ta. Quicken seems to be the best match for features but holy f*** is it a piece of s***. It requires a constant internet connection (or at least on startup) for the licensing bs, and I don't know if it's just because I'm using a trial or whether it really is that broken, it won't let me set up bills that will be coming up next year. It just tells me "enter valid date".... The only way to enter a date is by clicking on their calendar so how is it invalid? Also when I do click on a date, dated this month, it picks the wrong date.

edit: kmymoney seems like it'll do the job nicely. Some things are a bit fiddly but overall it's pretty much just what I want. Thanks.
01:02am 07/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34675 posts
petal runs our budget in excel
07:45am 07/12/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10407 posts
msexcel
07:56am 07/12/12 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
161 posts
YNAB doesn't seem to predict anything. It won't tell me what the income is for the month, or add / subtract income / bills until after they've happened. F*** it, looks like I'll have to bite the bullet & use quicken's s***.

It does exactly that.

Naturally you don't pay a bill until it happens but you budget for it before hand. YNAB does that and makes it easy to change if needed. It also keeps a running balance per budgeted item so you can budget $100pm for power and after 3 months that has a pool of $300. You then pay the bill which costs $250 so the balance remains at $50.

It also details income for the month, and what do with any overspending.

It allows you to track debt as well.

For debt reduction I think I used to use an old copy of Simply Budgets which was also awesome. It graphed and predicted when your debt would be paid off so you could see how to approach it.
08:05am 07/12/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1314 posts
That or you will just need to nut out some 'mildly more complex' formulaes in MSExcel.
(I found it mildly amusing that you'd created 90% of what you wanted in Excel first.)

That being said, kudo's to you for identifying that using MS Excel for something like [read: database-y type stuff] that is a wasted effort. It blows my mind the number of people who throw hours/days if not WEEKS at Excel for s*** a database could do within 4 hours.
09:01am 07/12/12 Permalink
Inept
Brisbane, Queensland
120 posts
I used excel to write my own budget and get it under control, worked wonders. Although a friend recently pointed me towards Pocketbook which is like Mint.com (US only) but for the Australian audience. It can integrate with most of the popular banks online banking systems, and help track stuff like bills and expenses, showing you where your money is going. I tried it out and while it was nifty, like I said, I had already sorted out my financials. Might be worth a look anyway.
09:52am 07/12/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9842 posts
Excel/LibreOffice/GoogleDocs are more then capable for everything you described.

That being said, kudo's to you for identifying that using MS Excel for something like [read: database-y type stuff] that is a wasted effort. It blows my mind the number of people who throw hours/days if not WEEKS at Excel for s*** a database could do within 4 hours.

Same can be said for people who spend hours doing things in a database that take seconds in a spreadsheet.

Horses for courses.
10:12am 07/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1438 posts
12:26pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13200 posts
YNAB doesn't seem to predict anything. It won't tell me what the income is for the month, or add / subtract income / bills until after they've happened. F*** it, looks like I'll have to bite the bullet & use quicken's s***.

You're broken.
12:40pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11774 posts

KMyMoney. Very much like Quicken, good interface, and free.
Is there a Windows version, or is it Linux only?
12:41pm 07/12/12 Permalink
t
Brisbane, Queensland
220 posts
By the looks of it, it should work on windows after installing KDE as well.

http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/windows-install.html
01:35pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Nitro
Gold Coast, Queensland
2227 posts
Xero personal is good
01:36pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20986 posts
Yeah, kmymoney runs in kde under windows (what I'm using)
It does exactly that.

Naturally you don't pay a bill until it happens but you budget for it before hand. YNAB does that and makes it easy to change if needed. It also keeps a running balance per budgeted item so you can budget $100pm for power and after 3 months that has a pool of $300. You then pay the bill which costs $250 so the balance remains at $50.

I told it how much I have, what my income is, what my usual bills are and it sat there looking at me and told me nothing. I don't want to have to input some weirdass budget manually, that's why I asked for something like quicken, which kmymoney is. I just schedule a monthly bill, tell it what my salary is, how much is currently in the bank and voila! a nice line graph showing projected monies, how much should theoretically be left at the end of each month, etc.

If YNAB can do that, then it's some complicated f***off process because all I did in quicken / kmymoney is exactly what I did in YNAB, and quicken / kmymoney worked like a charm, YNAB looked at me like a schmuck.

Also f*** excel / spreadsheets. I don't want to keep manually adding rows every time I add a new bill that I didn't forsee, and at the end of the year end up with some massive big f***off spreadsheet that's impossible to make sense of. I'm not saying excel is s***, it's just not what I want.

Have a look at

http://www.xero.com/personal/

Do not want. It's subscription based which I specifically said I'd not touch. If I were doing this as a business, I'd be happy to pay a yearly fee for accounting software, since it's just for me those money grubbing asshats can go jump.
06:05pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13207 posts
I told it how much I have, what my income is, what my usual bills are and it sat there looking at me and told me nothing.

You're doing it wrong.

YNAB is a godly budgeting program.
06:16pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20988 posts
I'm doing it completely right. I did the same thing in 2 other programs, they both did exactly what I wanted (apart from quicken's licensing thing being s***).
06:23pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13208 posts
I'm doing it completely right. I did the same thing in 2 other programs, they both did exactly what I wanted (apart from quicken's licensing thing being s***).

Whatever.
06:24pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20989 posts
So you admit defeat.
06:31pm 07/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19312 posts
when you find a good one, can you send a copy to the Commonwealth government please?
06:32pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13211 posts
So you admit defeat.

No, I'm to busy making a game to deal with your stupid right now.
06:32pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20990 posts
So you're saying that if I do exactly the same operation in 3 different programs, and two of them function the same, and to my requirements, the 3rd does not, it makes ME stupid? I'm sure you're being sarcastic but in case you're not, you can go f*** yourself.

with a Cadillac.
06:40pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13212 posts
So you're saying that if I do exactly the same operation in 3 different programs, and two of them function the same, and to my requirements, the 3rd does not, it makes ME stupid? I'm sure you're being sarcastic but in case you're not, you can go f*** yourself.with a Cadillac.

I'm suggesting you don't really understand YNAB and how it sets up budgets and forecasting because you're too stupid and obstinate to work it out.

Maybe those other programs are better for stupid people, thus you could work them out fine and should use them?

No, I won't explain it like you're 5, because as noted I'm busy.
07:05pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20991 posts
but not too busy to "deal with my stupid". So you admit defeat AND I win. It feels good to be me.
10:22pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1860 posts
haha, your a dry old c*** sometimes Hoggy, I like it.
09:42am 08/12/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10562 posts
I just use this noob one
https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/calculators-and-tools/budget-planner
09:53am 08/12/12 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3842 posts
I am in the no budget at all camp.
09:57am 08/12/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8067 posts
Excel, then google some formula's
03:05pm 08/12/12 Permalink
SquarkyD
Brisbane, Queensland
6191 posts
YNAB gets 10 points for concept, 1 point for execution. Sat down with it for a couple of hours putting all my data in, need to do to much manually (including pays) so it's useless for forecasting and just clunky as hell to use. The search is still on for me :(
03:23pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20995 posts
I am in the no budget at all camp.

I sort of am too. Lately some stuff has changed and I sort of need to work out how much I can spend per month and still have enough for bills.

Excel, then google some formula's
In case you missed that part of my OP, I already have. I've got an open office spreadsheet that takes my weekly pay and automatically subtracts foreseen bills, adds up how much is left at the end of the week, month, and year. What I wanted was the ability to add UNFORSEEN bills, or other things, without having to manually add rows to a spreadsheet or ending up with a big long list of crap in a spreadsheet at the end of the year.
05:34pm 08/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:34pm 08/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.