Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Dollar Shave Club comes to .au
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36597 posts
So these guys have a subscription razor service to try to free us from the shackles of the rort that is high quality razors. I have been hoping they'd come to Australia to give them a try, and now they are here!

It's basically a subscription service for razors. You pay a "low" monthly fee and they send you a new razor every month.

Unfortunately they have the Australia tax, with the base version being 4x more expensive than the US version :(
edit: Red points out (correctly) that the AU prices include shipping and the US ones don't. Shipping in the US costs USD$2 for the base model, but it's free for the more expensive ones. So it's actually not too much more at all.

Australian pricing:
http://trog.qgl.org/up/1212/dollarshaveclub-au.jpgUS Pricing:
http://trog.qgl.org/up/1212/dollarshaveclub-us.jpg

If anyone is keen to try it out and let us know what the blades are like - have a look at their site at http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/

Their video is hilarious:

02:04pm 06/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:04pm 06/12/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10549 posts
their message is basically:

"tired of spending hundreds of dollars a year on razors and forgetting to buy blades every month?"

does anyone actually have this problem though?
02:13pm 06/12/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3228 posts
Normally buy a 4 pack or 8 pack when on sale, use 1 a month or whatever then when i get to my final one i stretch it out to many months. I dont grow much facial hair though.
02:15pm 06/12/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15514 posts
does anyone actually have this problem though?
It would be easy to reach over $100 in those disposable blades over an entire year though if you have to shave daily, thank f*** I do not.
02:17pm 06/12/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10550 posts
I think people change the blades too often, you can use the same blade for months
02:19pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
1024 posts
So it's $1 a month more for the fancy ones which I suppose is ok given the extra logistics, but the basic one in au includes S+H, in us S+H is extra. makes sense to me?
02:24pm 06/12/12 Permalink
dranged
Melbourne, Victoria
2055 posts
As much as I hate the Gilette cartel, I bought 8x triple blade disposables from Woolies the other day for $10 - Not sure how long they'll last but that's a decent price for a decent shave imo.
02:25pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34672 posts
to try to free us from the shackles of the rort that is high quality razors

free yourself from the shackles of shaving imo
02:34pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Ha
17 posts
i've been doing this for 18 months now and i'm only just considering changing it. for reference, i grow a full beard easily. hairy mother f*****.

02:37pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13854 posts
So it's really Four Dollar Shave Club...

Still a great idea. But honestly, I go through jack all blades and don't shave daily (maybe once a week, realistically). It wouldn't save me money.
02:47pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7541 posts
The little promo at the bottom of their page is great too:
"Earn a free month for every friend you sign up. 1000 friends gets you 83 years of free razors. ... and if you live longer than that, bravo, we'll be happy to keep sending"
:D
02:54pm 06/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36598 posts
Red - thanks for the correct; I've updated the OP.
02:57pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13193 posts
Just signed up, $7 a month plan. If its any good this could save me money. I'm not the sort of person who can use a razor endlessly.

I'm a hairy beast and don't shave as often as I should due to the expense of razors that don't leave me with a f***ed up face. Anything s***tier and I get rashes and ingrown hair etc. The minimum razor quality for me is Mach 3. I usually have to beat down the wookie 2-3 times a week, and that's with 3-4 days a week looking distinctly shabby...

Will report back findings.
03:08pm 06/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36599 posts
Nice one Hoggy!

I'd sign up myself - I've just started shaving regularly for the first time in over 10 years - but I just picked up like 24 Mach3's on sale from COTD a couple weeks ago and have only just cracked the packet on them.
03:12pm 06/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16307 posts
i would have signed up for this if i didn't know i was getting an electric razor for chrissie
03:21pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
160 posts
If you want cheap (better/closer/more comfortable) shave then get a good double-edge razor. I use astra blades which were $20 for 100 blades and each lasts for 5 or 6 shaves. MUCH better than the cartridge razors.
04:00pm 06/12/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1055 posts
I don't shave much, only when I feel like it. This would not be useful to me lol. Good idea though.
04:06pm 06/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5253 posts
you get 3-5 cartridges per month depending on which one you get. If you dont through that many a month you can alway sign up for it for couple months than cancel it than start back up again when you run out??????
04:15pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Inept
Brisbane, Queensland
119 posts
You can also (once signed up) set your subscription to be bi-monthly instead.
04:35pm 06/12/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1303 posts
So the first one says $4 next to it.

The deal is for 5 razors a month, does this mean that I pay $4 a month, or $20 a month?

I've gone as far as the checkout and it looks like its $4 a month for 5 of the basic razor heads, which is awesome!
04:47pm 06/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5254 posts
I read at it costs $4 a month for 5 basic razor heads.... which is pretty cheap i will probably start this in a few weeks time when i run out
05:15pm 06/12/12 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
4156 posts
http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/15c/lmphm2/

ok everyone, use this link so I get free months!

05:33pm 06/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19306 posts
no wires no care
05:38pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4146 posts
how often are you supposed to replace razors anyway? more often than i currently do by the sounds of it
05:39pm 06/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17571 posts
Everyone's blades will age at different rates depending on how course their beard is and also what razor you're using

Schick hyrdo 5 or gfto imo
06:42pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8098 posts
I use a straight razor and so don't pay anything for new blades.
08:15pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Ozzy
Gold Coast, Queensland
244 posts
Dont be so soft and grow a beard.
08:33pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6344 posts
Just don't shave..

Haven't shaved in about 3-4 months.
10:13pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9841 posts
how often are you supposed to replace razors anyway? more often than i currently do by the sounds of it

It's ok, sometimes you hit 30 before puberty insom ...
11:08pm 06/12/12 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
855 posts
I bought some clippers and just clipper once a month now, so much time saved in the morning to catch up on my internets.
08:11am 07/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3651 posts
Just don't shave.. Haven't shaved in about 3-4 months.

it will be different when you reach puberty though.

Looks good. Seems to cheap to be quality blades so I might await feedback from those that have signed up first before I decide.
11:33am 07/12/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4148 posts
obes trim your beard and emails
12:18pm 07/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20339 posts
Get an s3
12:24pm 07/12/12 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
497 posts
Fark this is awesome. signed myself up for the 4x... if they are the quality they say then this is an epic find
01:33pm 07/12/12 Permalink
SquarkyD
Brisbane, Queensland
6192 posts
Just signed up with the $10 blades, shave most days and in summer especially have to keep the blades fresh or risk the wrath of dull razor rash. Will report back when I get my blades
03:24pm 08/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19317 posts
Just don't shave..

Just don't bathe, brush your teeth or change underwear either.
03:30pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2213 posts
I bought a 5 pack of Gilette fusion blades around 4 years ago and I just used my last one. I don't think this is for me.
I also shave every second day.
03:50pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2427 posts
Use the discount code 'tallpoppy' to get a free month.

got myself on the $7 plan

If you're going to sign up I'd really appreciate it if you used this link too. :)
04:23pm 08/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13234 posts
Got my first pack and used it this morning (3 day growth).

I have a heavy, coarse beard and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the base unit and blades. It's a different shave to my mach3 but to be honest its probably better. The unit is a little heavier and well made compared to the mach3 (lots of metal cf. the Gillette plastic). It has a really pleasant 'click' when you shave with it and it does the job of scraping off bristles quite well, minimal retouch after one pass which will probably keep the irritation down.

Curious to see how long the blades last but to be honest I can't see why I would buy them from the shop again. Assuming that I don't break out in a massive rash I'm probably sold on the concept.
09:56am 17/12/12 Permalink
Inept
Brisbane, Queensland
121 posts
I also signed up for the $7 pack. Got mine a few days ago, can't say enough good things. The first thing I noticed was picking up the actual handle, like hogfather says, it's very well made with mostly solid metal and the grip is great. I'm not sure I'd notice the difference between a brand new gillette razor vs one of these, but if I did it would be on the latter (for the better).
10:37am 17/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36619 posts
sweet, good feedback so far. Will defo give it a crack when it comes out.

Will be interesting to see if Gilette etc start pricewarring.
11:16am 17/12/12 Permalink
stinky
USA
3748 posts
I couldn't find an option for a curved blade to shave the boys with.
11:21am 17/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34771 posts
i just use a cutthroat stinky! keeps my boys feeling smooth and nervous!
11:54am 17/12/12 Permalink
SquarkyD
Brisbane, Queensland
6195 posts
Got the $10 blades a few days ago, first impressions are it's a bit of a different shave to the fusion I've been using for years, the blade angle feels different and its a weightier unit. So far it's just as smooth as the fusion but a more comfortable shave as it seems to to the job with less passes meaning less irritation, build quality is good too, so far it's a winner!
07:07pm 17/12/12 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2446 posts
I have very very thick facial hair and it grows really f*****g quickly. I need to effectively shave twice a day..... or as I have been doing for the past 2 years, clipper once a week.

Sorted.
07:24pm 17/12/12 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
2107 posts
good idea, but i only shave once a week. so $18 for 8xmach3 carts last me a very long time :)
08:26pm 17/12/12 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3849 posts
I am a once a week shaver, but I think I'm going to have to start shaving more so I don't look like a hobo by Friday.
08:29pm 17/12/12 Permalink
Kamold
Sydney, New South Wales
46 posts
i've been doing this for 18 months now and i'm only just considering changing it. for reference, i grow a full beard easily. hairy mother f*****.

Totally agree with Ha; just sharpen the blades you already use- they last that much longer that a subscription would end up being uneconomical.
09:44pm 17/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13241 posts
Totally agree with Ha; just sharpen the blades you already use- they last that much longer that a subscription would end up being uneconomical.

Its a subscription that you can pause at any time though. So you can use it to get a couple of boxes ahead, pause and sharpen your stock and restart it when you're done.

I think that a few people are missing this point! Even if you only buy razors 2-3 times per year you are still paying more if the dollar shave ones will do the job, as you can stop at anytime and restart when you need them again.
09:19am 18/12/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3581 posts
I am half keen to try this but I buy razors at Costco now - $50 for a box of 52 gillette disposables - I probably use one a week?

I probably should shave more often though - just cbf most of the time...
09:45am 18/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13244 posts
That seems like a good deal, are they Mach3 or ... ? No Costco here anyway :(
09:51am 18/12/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3582 posts
Nah not Mach3 or anything. Just the plastic 2 bladed disposables with the aloe strip on them.

Cheapies but they do the trick and fresh razor every time!

edit - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/52-Pack-Gillette-Custom-Plus-Pivot-Disposable-Razor-Shaver-Comfort-Blades-New-/170786226451
10:00am 18/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13245 posts
Yeh they don't do the trick for me.

Being a wookie, anything less than mach3 quality I need to do too many passes and get rashes etc.
10:11am 18/12/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3583 posts
They also sell the disposable Mach3's for $30 for a pack of 12 I think. I bought some last time but I find if I just use the 2 blade ones and use them 1 or 2 times a week it keeps my facial hair in order.

f*****g hate shaving regardless - I just do it in the shower but it's still a pain in the ass
10:23am 18/12/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5337 posts
i am thinking of giving the $10 one ago what do you ppl think?
09:55am 23/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3811 posts
i am thinking of giving the $10 one ago what do you ppl think?

I was thinking about this also this morning and was going to ask for feedback for those that are using it. (thanks TiT saved my finding the thread)

so what's the verdict?
10:35am 23/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13388 posts
Work fine for me, I'm currently building up stock faster than I go through them, will probably stop the orders in a few months time.
10:40am 23/01/13 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
4161 posts
Working pretty sweet for me, usually shave twice a week so 4 a month works pretty well.

Mainly I just like the fact that its one less thing I have to worry about, they just turn up in the mail.
11:02am 23/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13390 posts
Mainly I just like the fact that its one less thing I have to worry about, they just turn up in the mail.

100% this, not having a sharp razor when you have a meeting on that morning really sucks.
11:21am 23/01/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5338 posts
ok i am convinced i am going through. if you want 1 month free can you post your linky :)
11:25am 23/01/13 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2449 posts
Have used both the $10 and $7 ones, the $10 is a much closer shave imo. First time i used it I went over my stache twice as usual, cut me so fine the skin broke out next day. Course stubble + sensitive skin = a fine balancing act for a closer shave. 1 pass over is just right with $10, the $7 I can just go to town.

Also been using a disposable cutthroat the gf got me for chrissy, not as close as the executive but it is fun as. highly reccomend cut throats for anyone into shaving (skip safety razors)

edit: also use shaving soap and a decent brush. I've been using the $10 woolies plastic brushes and they don't last long
12:08pm 23/01/13 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2450 posts
remember to use the code 'tallpoppy' for a free month. my linky is http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/1n3/1r0uen7/ :)
12:10pm 23/01/13 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
174 posts
(skip safety razors)

A decent safety razor (double edge) with proper use will give a closer shave than a cartridge - without the red bumps/in-grown hairs/shave rash. They are also cheap; cheaper than even the dollar shave club.

A good cutthroat will go closer again.
01:05pm 23/01/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5339 posts
well ive gone ahead with it using ya link phooks! if anyone else keen

http://au.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/3uz/1oho5hm/
01:23pm 23/01/13 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2453 posts
Oh cheers tit! :) Guess it was fate for me to go broke yesterday.. too good ;)

A decent safety razor (double edge) with proper use will give a closer shave than a cartridge

No it won't, the blade you buy determines the quality of the shave, not the piece of metal that holds it.

without the red bumps/in-grown hairs/shave rash.

Nope, that has to do with shaving technique.

They are also cheap; cheaper than even the dollar shave club..

Nope. Depending on the courseness of your beard/sensitivity of skin you will need higher or lower quality disposable blades, which last 1-3 times compared to 5-7 from DSC razors. Also the DSC shavers you can fix up with a quick sharpen on jeans and dip in oil to remove skin, while the disposable safety blades of lower quality (the cheaper ones) just break down. Sharpening a single blade that is so thin lowers the integrity of the blade unless you are stupidly meticulous about it.

A good cutthroat will go closer again.

Again, which is why you skip safety razors.

P.S. r/wickededge is not the best for shaving advice.
01:33pm 23/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3812 posts
Ok sounds good. Will sign up when I get home
01:41pm 23/01/13 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
175 posts
Nope, that has to do with shaving technique.

A double-edged razor (safety razor) works differently to a cartidge razor. It doesn't push the skin down like the cartridges so you don't get the ingrown hairs and razor burn. It's pretty common knowledge the difference between the two.

A DE blade costs about $0.25c and will last 5 or 6 shaves easily. You don't sharpen them, you get the next one.

The razor plays a huge part. It determines blade angle and depth as well as the balance/length of handle. A s*** razor won't let the blade work properly so they don't cut effortlessly.
03:41pm 23/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3819 posts
Who knew shaving was so complicated!
12:08am 24/01/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5341 posts
how long does it take to ship? received no emails
10:20am 24/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3874 posts
how long does it take to ship? received no emails

me to. order confirmed 25th Jan nothing received yet. about to email them but what is everyone's experience with shipping?
11:24am 09/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3875 posts
found this in FAQ

Australian customers should expect delivery in 3-4 days once an order is processed. For billing or order inquiries, please email members.au@dollarshaveclub.com and we'll be happy to check on the status of your order.
11:28am 09/02/13 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21229 posts
I only shave once every 3 days and a cheap 10 pack of shavers from Coles will last me a year easily. I just do what that guy in the youtube video does and it seems to do the trick.
01:05pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9933 posts
A double-edged razor (safety razor) works differently to a cartidge razor. It doesn't push the skin down like the cartridges so you don't get the ingrown hairs and razor burn. It's pretty common knowledge the difference between the two. A DE blade costs about $0.25c and will last 5 or 6 shaves easily.

Some blades last much longer than others. I get 4 or 5 out of Feathers but more like 10 or 12 out of Personna's.

Still prefer the Feather's tho.
04:35pm 09/02/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2950 posts
I bought some of the new 5 blade ones from Gillette awhile ago, they had a promo with 7 disposable ends and the handle for $35 after fathers day in September.

Only just changed the first end yesterday so that should work out to about $1 a month for a 5 blade razor.
05:39pm 09/02/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5375 posts
EDIT:

ok i bought "The Executive" one and its awesome, does a real good shave been using Gillette all my life and its alot better, especially on my chest which i do every few weeks or so (half italian/scotish)
09:25pm 09/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3881 posts
ok i bought the $10 one and its awesome, does a real good shave been using Gillette all my life and its alot better, especially on my chest which i do every few weeks or so (half italian/scotish)

Are you talking about the club? I'm confused cause you said you hadn't heard yet?
09:38pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Johno99999
1 posts
I was reading this and did a google search and found an Australian company that is only $1. www.aussieshave.com

I don't think this is a new idea.
02:00pm 05/04/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5534 posts
they are the same price except for the cheap one.... however i use the $10 and its great
02:03pm 05/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:03pm 05/04/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.