AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
My Kindle broke - which of the new versions wins?
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3646 posts

yeah my trusty old Kindle bit the bullet. badly packed by me on my recent conf in Adelaide. jammed it in the top inside pocket of my bag but had lots of conf bags and s*** and totally forgot. so it was a jam down zip up bag scenario.

switched it on last night to continue reading and the screen is rooted. so might as well get a new one. i don't want or need a Fire, i have an iPad but i prefer a separate reader to my tablet. i read a lot before bed.

so now i see there are a lot of versions, mine was the original keyboard 3g version. anyone playing with any of the different varieties can give me some feedback?
09:40am 06/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:40am 06/12/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8665 posts
The new 'white' ones look good. I don't think they are in au yet, check amazon.

My wife has one a year or so old and I find it great but I reckon the new 'white' screen would be good as sometimes it can be a little dull.
09:50am 06/12/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19305 posts
I justy bought the Mrs the basic model cost $101 total inc delivery - dirt cheap. The screen is amazing, I have never seen anything like it.
01:09pm 06/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17569 posts
iphone 5
01:16pm 06/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5615 posts
The first thing you should do is contact amazon via their online chat thingy and see if they will send you a replacement or give you a discount. They are really helpful and awesome.

Do it.
01:17pm 06/12/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1273 posts
My misses got this last xmas;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Kindle4.jpg

She loves it but has had recent hastles with Amazon not selling books in Australia from some publishers. She had to go to Angus and Robinson. So she has to buy from them (cheaper) then strip the DRM and use calibre to transfer it to her Kindle.
01:18pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Coochie
Brisbane, Queensland
836 posts
I got a Kindle Touch recently. They were on special at Big W. I love it. Got Dad a basic kindle for Father's Day as they had run out of the Touch version. For an extra $20 or so to go to the Touch was well worth it.
01:32pm 06/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3489 posts
i've got the littler sony ereader (from someone on the forum at that) and it is great, no wifi or audio tho, however my partner has the "full" sized sony with all the bells and whistle's and she prefers hers on the bus etc, but mine when traveling or reading in bed home (the size is like a smaller paperback and just seems nicer for some reason)
02:06pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34673 posts
my kindle broked, so i just took it back to kmart and they replaced it on the spot for me. (not sure if natural death of kiddy related)
02:36pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2844 posts
My partner and I got a paperwhite each. We had one of the older kindles and decided to upgrade (I believe we were 2 versions behind) and it's great.

Having the light built in instead of it in the case is fantastic. It's really light. The only downside is that they're not shipping to Australia so I had to get a forwarding service (HopShopGo) to send it to me. This wasn't much of an issue at all though and wasn't really that much more expensive. Well worth it though.

Also HurricaneJim, just create a US account for your kindle and then use gift cards to register credit and buy books. That way you have the whole US book library and you don't have to worry about them tracking you down as you have no credit card registered on that account. We've been doing it for years without any issue.

Kindle FTW!
02:56pm 06/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3647 posts
I got a Kindle Touch recently. They were on special at Big W

do you remember how much?

My partner and I got a paperwhite each. We had one of the older kindles and decided to upgrade (I believe we were 2 versions behind) and it's great.

Having the light built in instead of it in the case is fantastic. It's really light. The only downside is that they're not shipping to Australia so I had to get a forwarding service (HopShopGo) to send it to me. This wasn't much of an issue at all though and wasn't really that much more expensive. Well worth it though.

that sounds good. i had a nice cover with light for mine so would need another one if i change versions.

The first thing you should do is contact amazon via their online chat thingy and see if they will send you a replacement or give you a discount. They are really helpful and awesome.

oh yeah i forgot. i had an issue once in the early days and they were really good. will try this and see if i can at least get a discount.

thanks all so far.
04:00pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20334 posts
I've never understood why e-book readers need a light at all, what are you doing reading in the dark in the first place?
04:03pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7703 posts
I've never understood why e-book readers need a light at all, what are you doing reading in the dark in the first place?

Use case for that would be if you wanted to read but your other half wants to sleep in bed and you don't want to have the bed side table lamp on. It's bright enough so you can read the book but not so bright that it'd disturbed the other person.

Not really a problem for me per se as I can sleep through anything heh but just sayin'
04:22pm 06/12/12 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2779 posts
are AU customers in line for that price fixing rebate that's coming up? just wondering if anyone's read anything about it

if/when the kindle i have packs it in i'll pickup one of those paperwhite's for the backlit screen
07:18pm 06/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3649 posts
Update - contacting Amazon worked a treat. I got a discount on this one and a $20 credit to update my cover with light to one that suits this model.

was tempted for the "paperwhite" looks cool and i have a Hop Shop Go address but decided this would do for now at $74 plus shipping. great customer service.
07:31pm 06/12/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5617 posts
BAM. Glad to hear it.
09:04pm 06/12/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1782 posts
I've been thinking on this, I'm actually going to get a Google Nexus 7.

Reason being I want a bit of light internet browsing/media consumption so was after a tablet, but I'll still use it primarily for ereading so don't want a big one, Nexus 7 fits the bill. The Kindle app is great.
09:53pm 06/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1437 posts
Kindle Paper white is the best for heavy reading.

I've only got an older one (2010), but for longer reads it definitely owns both my iPad and Nexus 7 - just in weight and lack of eye strain.
10:03pm 06/12/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3650 posts
I've only got an older one (2010), but for longer reads it definitely owns both my iPad and Nexus 7 - just in weight and lack of eye strain.

That would be what I had and I agree. If you're an avid reader of novels a back lit device is going to be painful. Sure the apps are good, I'm using my iPad and the Kindle app to read since my K broke.

But e-ink is the bizz for heavy duty reading.
10:16pm 06/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:16pm 06/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close