AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Laptop Recommendation thread #56347856
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1083 posts
Hey Guys,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a decent laptop with long battery life?

Not worried about the price really - anywhere around $1000 - $1500 would be ideal.

Not a Mac :)

Doing a lot of travel overseas and need something that will last more than the standard 2 hours most cheapy craptops are capable of. A colleagues mac seemed to last for 6 - 8 hours - something like this but not in a mac would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
05:59pm 05/12/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
05:59pm 05/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34667 posts
i would buy a nice dell for that money
06:00pm 05/12/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1372 posts
Yeah, a Dell or an Asus Ultrabook if you can find one in that range. Remember, SSD = lower power consumption than spinning rust.
06:01pm 05/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1436 posts
I want a thing like that thing but not that thing.

Just get an asus ultrabook or something
06:50pm 05/12/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1084 posts
Yeah, a Dell or an Asus Ultrabook if you can find one in that range. Remember, SSD = lower power consumption than spinning rust.

cheers - I'll look into these ultrabooks!

I want a thing like that thing but not that thing.

Great post - AAA++++ would read again
07:41pm 05/12/12 Permalink
Bromby
122 posts
This.

Although I'm not sure how long the battery would last. Apparently you'll get around 5 hours.
08:38pm 05/12/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7538 posts
I bought a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook for less than your cap there, it's been fantastic. I originally had an ASUS ZenBook and had so many troubles I took it back and got the Samsung.
09:18pm 05/12/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6256 posts
Ux31 from asus is the ultrabook with about 5 hours of useable battery. It's got great res and runs an ssd so like 15 second boot times in windows 8 or less. Standby time is instant on.

Not too much bloat on them and super portable.

I have built 6 of them, give them to lots of CEOs and uppper management. They love them, you can buy a second power adaptor for them which means leave one on your desk at home and another at work and you'll always be able to leave it charging.

No good for videogames of course. But good display.
http://www.computeralliance.com.au/asus-ux31a-r4005p-13.3-core-i5-windows-8-pro-ultrabook
09:41pm 05/12/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6257 posts
I originally had an ASUS ZenBook and had so many troubles I took it back and got the Samsung.
What went wrong with your zenbook? The only problem i've noticed (and subsequently fixed) was that the touchpad drivers are kind of shitty but there's good updates.
09:52pm 05/12/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1085 posts
Ux31 from asus is the ultrabook with about 5 hours of useable battery. It's got great res and runs an ssd so like 15 second boot times in windows 8 or less. Standby time is instant on.

Not too much bloat on them and super portable.

I have built 6 of them, give them to lots of CEOs and uppper management. They love them, you can buy a second power adaptor for them which means leave one on your desk at home and another at work and you'll always be able to leave it charging.

No good for videogames of course. But good display.
http://www.computeralliance.com.au/asus-ux31a-r4005p-13.3-core-i5-windows-8-pro-ultrabook

Cheers - will do a bit of research on these - do they actually 'run' for 5 hours of use though? ie internet/emails/ms office ?

I bought a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook for less than your cap there, it's been fantastic. I originally had an ASUS ZenBook and had so many troubles I took it back and got the Samsung.

What kind of battery life did you get from the samsung?
09:52pm 05/12/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9849 posts
Other than the mac, I'd go the Lenovo x series stink pad.
12:16am 06/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34670 posts
Other than the mac

haha
07:29am 06/12/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7634 posts
I have a laptop request too...

- Looks like a Macbook Air 13 (or 12")
- At least a core i3 ivy bridge cpu
- SSD
- 1920x1080+ Screen
- Touchscreen

I can find sweet looking ultrabooks with 1080p screens and laptops with touchscreens, but none that have high res touch.

Any suggestions?
07:39am 06/12/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1781 posts
The Asus Ultrabooks look awesome, I'd get one of those if I didn't already have a Macbook Pro.
08:29am 06/12/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1309 posts
/Recently converted Macfag reporting in.

I picked up one of the 2012 Mac Book Air's late last year to replace an ageing Dell Ultrabook I had.
It fit in with what I wanted (ie not gaming, and very portable computing)

I wound up going with the Mac coz I'm not dependant on mobile computing, and wanted to give MacOS a go.
I don't regret the decision at all, and in fact once Steam and GOG get a bit more of their libraries setup for Mac's I might make a Hacktel of my desktop...

Battery life on my MBA is ridiculous, but, as you said and has been pointed out you dun wanna Mac.

There's a Dell XPS lappy that is a 'I can't believe it's not a MBA' clone which would be faily similar. It had a 'dedicated' graphics card (read ATi/nVidia GFX chipset instead of the MBA's i5 'on CPU' GFX option) which would be good, but remember, stuff like that will only drink your battery faster. (EDIT: as it turns out, it's the one I linked below, and the outgoing model (currently $999) has the 'intel HD3000' on die GPU and the new model (currently $1299) has the 'HD4000' on die GPU (not the greatest for gaming, but not crippling like the older integrated intel graphics chipsets). The $300 price difference between those two buys you the 'newer' 'integrated GPU' an extra 4GB of RAM and Windows 8)

I think Skitza's call is a pretty good one (RE: X series stink pad) esp. in terms of 'long battery uptime' whilst using it, but keep an eye on prices... they're pretty painful at full RRP, but go on sale frequently enough to snap one up at a better price.

Other than that the Dell XPS types in more recent years are getting better and better from what I've seen.
This is a prime example I can't speak for the battery life (in terms of charge, and retention of charge) for the Dells; that's why I moved on from my older Dell tho.... the bastard's battery would only last an hour or so off battery itself; but 4 years have passed since then so see how you go.

p.s. keep an eye on the resolution of the screens on the 11-13" range of laptops, my only grievance on the MBA is that the res is poo (11" @ 1366x768, where my old Dell was 12.1 @ 1440x900)

EDIT: Mongie, there's a 'current model' [Read: Windows 8 'ready/equipped'] Dell I've spotted @ my local JB Hi-Fi which meets those needs. It's a tad on the expensive side currently (like $1700 from memory (Starts at $1500 on the link immediately above)) but worth looking at if you're serious.
Other than that, in the 'laptop/tablets' that are running Windows 8 atm, they're all pretty poo.
All are advertising as 'laptop/tablets' but they'd all make boat anchors of tablets... (the Dell is well over 1kg, which for me, makes it less of a tablet and more of a laptop)
08:47am 06/12/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7635 posts
Ah, yeah, I have seen that one. I just think it will break, or be generally shit with that weird swivel screen thing.

Looking for a straight ultrabook with 1080p screen and touch. No wanky screen yoga required.
09:17am 06/12/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6260 posts
I have a laptop request too...

- Looks like a Macbook Air 13 (or 12")
- At least a core i3 ivy bridge cpu
- SSD
- 1920x1080+ Screen
- Touchscreen

I can find sweet looking ultrabooks with 1080p screens and laptops with touchscreens, but none that have high res touch.

Any suggestions?

edit: Oops, doesn't have touchscreen, there's an asus touchscreen ultrabook but not sure of it's res, i think it's only like 1366x768 but is only lik 850 dollars...

edit2: http://www.computeralliance.com.au/asus-s400ca-ca010h-14-core-i3-ultrabook-windows-8-with-touch
yeah not quite what you're after, only 800 dollars though still has the hd4000 on an i3.
10:59am 06/12/12 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7853 posts
MacBook Air + Bootcamp
12:38pm 06/12/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6262 posts
MacBook Air + Bootcamp

Explain the touchscreen function?
01:05pm 06/12/12 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
2064 posts
Microsoft Surface RT? Warning though, not full Windows 8. If you need something to run Photoshop, RT is not for you. But the hardware is great and as long as you're not writing massive documents, the standard touch cover works well. Battery lasts >8 hours.
01:35pm 06/12/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7636 posts
If that is directed at me - I want a mac air with touch. A surface isn't really going to do it for me.
02:29pm 06/12/12 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
2065 posts
Nah, was meant for arkter.

I hear you though - since getting my Surface, I've added some lovely fingerprints to my MacBook Air. :P
07:21pm 06/12/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1089 posts
Nah, was meant for arkter.I hear you though - since getting my Surface, I've added some lovely fingerprints to my MacBook Air. :P

Cheers - I might actually grab one later today after reading some reviews.. it's really only going to be for internet browsing and office apps.
10:37am 07/12/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
10:37am 07/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks