We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
This week's Throwback Thursday comes in celebration of all the Star Wars talk making the rounds!
Throwback Thursday - Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire
Bungie's DeeJ on the new Destiny expansion, the vanilla game, keeping things fresh and more!
Bungie Talks Destiny's New Expansion and More!
DOTA 2 to Get Australian Servers
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13185 posts
A Valve developed has confirmed on their DOTA 2 forums that we're getting an Australian server here on shore:
The equipment for our Australian (not Austrian) datacenter has just arrived in Sydney. It will be a few weeks to get this racked and configured. But we should be up and running by January 2013.
Good news for Australian gamers. promoted/edited forum item
01:18pm 04/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:18pm 04/12/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3218 posts
OMFG. Awesome. About goddam time. Sick of SE Asia servers and their f*****g ".... la".
01:32pm 04/12/12 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
2031 posts
Pretty sweet
01:35pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5467 posts
"The equipment for our Australian (not Austrian) datacenter has just arrived in Sydney.

Phew, if it was for their Austrian datacenter somebody at DHL screwed up bad.
01:47pm 04/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36591 posts
Been playing this quite a bit recently and haven't noticed any lag, although now I know it is a problem I can now blame my terrible performance on it.
02:00pm 04/12/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1224 posts
haha nice one trog. This is pretty good news, I wonder if they'll catch up to LoL with player base and viewers for streams etc.
02:06pm 04/12/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3219 posts
I dont think lag is a major problem but with 150-200 ping i swear there are times i hit a key and it doesnt get off before the enemy does whatever. Delay in animations aside of course.
02:14pm 04/12/12 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1684 posts
This is awesome news. I've become really good with a 250ping (US West) though. The only thing I suck the most at is last hits before level 3. It's hard with such low damage. Other than that, I don't notice it too much.

Though I will probably keep playing on US West for the time being. I've made so many great friends that I love playing with.

I hate SEA. I had too many bad experiences with jerks, and it's hard to communicate with people who don't speak english. In a game that relies on communication I'd rather add 100ms more to my ping and be able to talk to my team mates.
02:42pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Crash
Sydney, New South Wales
1369 posts
I'm so glad we are getting Aussie servers. I usually go random and hate it if i get a character like pudge - where timing is important for his hook. I can never seem to get much because the delay on it can be bad.

If anyone wants to add me on steam - https://dotabuff.com/players/8160/heroes
02:45pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13186 posts
The game is pretty good at hiding lag from you under 300ms but it exists and matters, its a competitive game where timing and reaction time counts. Adding 200ms to animations blows.

Early game last hit timing is really hard with 200+ ping vs 50-100 ping locals. In a tight competitive game this can be really bad (especially if you're trying to hold mid and deny farm to drow or sniper etc). Winning the race to mana boots for example is a big deal for most lanes. Once someone realises you are playing in lag they can juke you relentlessly.

Everyone I play dota with is Australian so we'll probably just stop queueing USW or SEA once this is out.
02:52pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8180 posts
I just want a midwars variant similar to their Halloween event so I can enjoy being bad and not having to worry that it is affecting leaderboards or stats.
04:47pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13188 posts
Hey was it you who cleaned up and promoted me Eorl? Thanks anyway whoever it was for NOT STEALING MY POAST! :p

Edit: BTW Eorl, you might be interested in the unranked multiplayer mode in HOTS that I'll be talking about in the beta review. Play ranked matches without it affecting your MMR, sounds like a good idea probably.
04:55pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Cowie
New South Wales
20 posts
wow valve doing something blizzard needed to do years ago....
05:17pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8181 posts
Hey was it you who cleaned up and promoted me Eorl? Thanks anyway whoever it was for NOT STEALING MY POAST! :pEdit: BTW Eorl, you might be interested in the unranked multiplayer mode in HOTS that I'll be talking about in the beta review. Play ranked matches without it affecting your MMR, sounds like a good idea probably.

Eh, never been into StarCraft 2. Loved original but just couldn't get myself into the groove. I think all MOBA/RTS titles should have some form of unranked play though, especially the MOBA genre as it brings quite a lot of hatred out of people (myself included) when others can't perform well or just want to play around without the fear of getting bad ranks.
05:25pm 04/12/12 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
2032 posts
add me on steam for a game - name as per ausgamers.
07:16pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2208 posts
I have to say I don't like playing on SE asia because of the language thing and tend to often opt for the higher ping US servers just so they speak english.
Either way this is a win. If only Blizzard followed suit.
09:24pm 04/12/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3226 posts
Added konstie. Crash's link didnt work.

Played a few games today. Hate it when i play with some dude who has 300+wins yet somehow doesnt understand the importance of avoiding early game autoattacks when pushing the lane isnt a good idea. 1 win away from my own 300th win, hopefully will crack it tomorrow.

Might have to try some USW games.
01:10am 06/12/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13167 posts

OMFG. Awesome. About goddam time. Sick of SE Asia servers and their f*****g ".... la".<

I play on US West because SEA server are full of douches. The SEA servers have a much higher rate of a player declining a match, people taking too long to load and the game failing or simply just quiting during a match.
Ever sine I swapped to US West those incidents dropped way way down. Totally worth the extra 30-50ms pingtime (sometimes more).

Aus servers will be interesting, as long as it doesn't take longer then 5 mins to find a game..
08:23am 06/12/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3227 posts
3 games USW. Much better. Less game declines as you said, they speak english, more people with mics, better teamwork.

More a matter of the better team winning rather than the team with less retards that was SEA.
02:13pm 06/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:13pm 06/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.