Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Ricky Ponting retires
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21849 posts
link to article
Ricky Ponting has announced that tomorrow’s Perth Test against South Africa, his 168th, will be his last, after an illustrious 17-year career.
So the time has finally come. What happens if he makes 200 in this test?

After getting castled twice in Adelaide and with some big series coming up I guess he thought it was finally time to hang up the boots. Will be sad to see him go he was the last remnant from the great Australia side of the 90s and 2000s. Hopefully they don't replace him with Phil Hughes.
02:47pm 29/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:47pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6335 posts
About bloody time.. talk about milking it for all its worth.
03:15pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
2114 posts
I can stop watching cricket now. The last of the original crew gone.
03:17pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13839 posts

lol? Yer a goose, Harry.
About bloody time.. talk about milking it for all its worth.

Pffft. Wouldn't have been possible without the support of everyone around him. Another armchair critic that is not across his recent Tassie performance against VIC:

162*, 60* Tasmania v Victoria Melbourne 23 Oct 2012 FC
47 Tasmania v South Aust Adelaide 14 Oct 2012 LA
85* Tasmania v South Aust Adelaide 9 Oct 2012 FC
03:23pm 29/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3458 posts

er, i think all the original crew are more than dead dude, seeing that the first team was in like the 1880's or so

pointless wasn't as great as people thought imo, he made many poor choices, and had an aversion to declaring, and lost the ashes even with a great team behind him

one thing he was good at was fielding
03:25pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13840 posts
pointless wasn't as great as people thought imo

Yeah, nah. Didn't score enough runs.

/sarcasm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_Test_batsmen_who_have_scored_over_5000_Test_runs
03:28pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6336 posts
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/7133.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

His 1st class innings has been average to terrible for the past few years.
03:32pm 29/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3460 posts
pinky, did i say he wasn't a good batsman, no, did i say he was a poor captain, no, did i say he wasn't has great has people build him up to be, yes

I made it clear where i thought it failed, sure it was limited, but hey, read into it what you want, and cut and paste the 1/5th of what I said and argue a point i didn't make
03:35pm 29/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17536 posts
F*** there are some failures in this thread, copuis leading the crew

The guy is a legend and the way he's been treated by the media and everyone is disgraceful and no doubt helped continue his bad run with every c*** wanting to stick the knife in

Seeing him boo'ed on to the field was really sad , how everyone forgets
03:50pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13841 posts
pinky, did i say he wasn't a good batsman, no, did i say he was a poor captain, no, did i say he wasn't has great has people build him up to be, yesI made it clear where i thought it failed, sure it was limited, but hey, read into it what you want, and cut and paste the 1/5th of what I said and argue a point i didn't make

So what you're saying is you are choosing to focus on the 10% of times he was wrong rather than the 90% of times he was f*****g awesome?

Seems a strange approach.
03:51pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
2115 posts
er, i think all the original crew are more than dead dude

DERP, no s***.

or sopointless wasn't as great as people thought imo, he made many poor choices, and had an aversion to declaring, and lost the ashes even with a great team behind himone thing he was good at was fielding

Spastic comment, like most Australians who know s*** all about cricket but consider themselves a cricket expert just because they are Australian.

Pffft. Wouldn't have been possible without the support of everyone around him. Another armchair critic that is not across his recent Tassie performance against VIC:

lol? Yer a goose, Harry. (you're a f*****)
03:53pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13842 posts
(you're a f*****)

Haha, look at this clown! Stuck in 1990 when calling people a 'f*****' was insulting.
04:01pm 29/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3462 posts
F*** there are some failures in this thread, copuis leading the crew

The guy is a legend and the way he's been treated by the media and everyone is disgraceful and no doubt helped continue his bad run with every c*** wanting to stick the knife in

Seeing him boo'ed on to the field was really sad , how everyone forgets

what forgets that he chased big numbers and not wins?, he somehow didn't understand that bating your first innings for three days does not really put you in a good place to win?

the dude was a great fielder (as I said) was he a great captain, I dont think he was great, middle to fair, not bad. do I feel he did a good job with the team he had, no, I don't

we (under his captaincy) have gone from seemingly unbeatable, to loses ashes, and a general fall, is it all his fault, hell no. could he have done better. yes

HOWEVER, to boo a guy that has spent 17 years playing a top level sport is pretty f*****g poor form all round, I haven't like the guy, never really have. and i'm open and honest about it, and my view hasn't changed, but the amount of work off the field coaching young cricketers, and guiding/helping his team/s is what should be remembered, I also think he was given a raw shot batting so high in the order. he would be great two spots down. but regardless what my feelings are about his performance, I respect him highly. and while I glad to see him leave at this time, it is disheartening to see the treatment he has copped

Pinky>>>, whatever dude, troll away, I give him the credit for being good at the aspects he is good at, and outlined my dislikes openly, and that it is a view that hasn't changed, was he a good cricketer, there can be no doubt, was he " 90% of times,f*****g awesome", no, no he wasn't, whoopie, he has the most runs, (in the most games, hardly a feat there) his average is, average, he isn't the longest serving batsman we have ever had, but over 15years in the team, regardless of who you are is a credit, there have been better, he is not the best, dont make him more than his is
04:15pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1481 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
04:23pm 29/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2783 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: quotes deleted post
04:26pm 29/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16271 posts
fire up outlaw
04:31pm 29/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9592 posts
Thanks for the memories Punter.
Wasnt your fault we lost the Ashes.

Easily our best bastman since Bradman but prolly became Captain because Warne was such a d******* off the field.
Nobody should be playing for Australia beyond 35.
Not with the standard of Cricket in this Country.

Id like to see Hussey call it too.
lets get Hughes and Khwaja into the side and prepare for the Ashes.
A young and hungry side to face England in England then back here next Summer.

04:40pm 29/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9593 posts
Gay always skips a generation.
04:52pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34636 posts
i choose to remmeber punter, not at the beginning, not at the end, but in the middle.
05:09pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5153 posts
What's with all these people calling Ponting a great Captain?

Ponting was a terrible Captain who was blessed with a great team. You could see how bad he was a captain when he lost McGrath and Warne.

Clarke uses bowlers the calibre of Siddle and Hilfenhous ten times better than Ponting ever did.

Border was a good captain and a great leader.
Taylor was a great captain.
Waugh was a good captain.
Ponting was a poor captain.
So far I'm really very impressed with Clarke as a captain. Guy can actually set a field and be creative with his bowling changes.
05:10pm 29/11/12 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
487 posts
I agree with Copius on a fair bit of what he mentions. (Apart from the gay thing, fu u call me gay it's on c*** ha ha)

Anyways, full respect tot he guy, he's an absolute legend, but it's definitely time for him to move on. His form hasn't been great and i really hope he makes a good score in this last one to give him the send off he deserves, but tbh, i think he should have been toiling back in state cricket getting his s*** together. He was picked just because of who he is a lot of the time and superstars that don't get results aren't worth carting the extra baggage for...

Anyways he's still a legend of the game and full respect to him for a great career...

Huss call it tho? Faceman, come on, he's one of our best with the bat at the moment!!
05:23pm 29/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11183 posts
Ponting's captaincy lacked imagination, but that doesn't take away from his brilliance as a player.

Most of the great captains, weren't the great players of their generation.

S.Waugh, who is my favourite player ever, was a very good captain, perhaps not the equal of his 2 predecessors though.

However, the likes of Tendulkar, Lara, Flintoff, Pollock, Dravid, Chanderpaul, Kallis, Peiterson, Akram, Sangakkara, De Silva and many other all-time great players were either complete failures as Captain, or never even became Captain - so Ponting is not alone as a below par captain combined with all-time great talent/skill.

I'm sad to see him go personally, I think he's still in the best XI. Will finish the year in the Shield and probably scores twice as many runs as the blokes chasing his vacated spot.
05:31pm 29/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3465 posts
gay = happy

f***** = bundle of sticks or random pork bits meatball

pinky, clearly blinded by the mass of wood he has for ponting regardless of his shortcomings
05:43pm 29/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9595 posts
You cant play forever.
35 = mandatory retirement.
07:27pm 29/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3469 posts
You cant play forever.

since when, didn't like some of those early guys play test cricket into their 50's (sure it was at a time when the average life expectancy was like 65)
07:34pm 29/11/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4462 posts
Punter will be missed by me.
07:46pm 29/11/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9778 posts
So the time has finally come. What happens if he makes 200 in this test?

After getting castled twice in Adelaide and with some big series coming up I guess he thought it was finally time to hang up the boots. Will be sad to see him go he was the last remnant from the great Australia side of the 90s and 2000s. Hopefully they don't replace him with Phil Hughes.

I'm thinking a book is already in the works.

still.. I'd buy the guy a beer
10:26pm 29/11/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10404 posts
wood he has for ponting
pinky's got wood for ponting? what a f*****!
just kidding.
10:32pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34641 posts

f*** you motherf*****
10:39pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13846 posts
pinky, clearly blinded by the mass of wood he has for ponting regardless of his shortcomings

Haha, yeah. Fellow Launcestonians have to unite. We are but few.

pinky's got wood for ponting? what a f*****!
just kidding.

lol

Seriously, Punter's stats speak for themselves.
10:47pm 29/11/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2357 posts
Ponting was an average captain, a great batsman, an awesome fielder and a total d*******.

He'll definitely be missed, but then the way he was playing recently, he was already being missed.
11:24pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Wrecktim
Perth, Western Australia
817 posts
im off to the WACA tomorrow. hopefully this rain stays away
02:52am 30/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3470 posts
Seriously, Punter's stats speak for themselves.

yup, you are right, they say that he is average, but he has play alot of games, (what a stupid statement really pinky), they in no way reflect his ability to be a captain, they show that he was a good batsman, not great

bradman was a great, he played 80 games, punter played 280 game, had bradman play that many, he would have nearly double the runs that ricky has now, thus the stats say punter is half great
03:22am 30/11/12 Permalink
Chakas
USA
3487 posts
bradman was a great, he played 80 games, punter played 280 game

When you mistake innings for games (tests?), nobody is going to take you seriously.
04:53am 30/11/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6239 posts
Hilarious thread, i don't even know what a cricket is.
09:12am 30/11/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2358 posts
When you mistake innings for games (tests?), nobody is going to take you seriously.
Yeah, seriously copuis you need to just stop now.

bradman was a great, he played 80 games, punter played 280 game, had bradman play that many, he would have nearly double the runs that ricky has now, thus the stats say punter is half great
You realise what you're describing is just the statistic called "Batting Average" right? And that you're basically saying that no batsman besides Bradman has ever been much better than "half great"?
09:53am 30/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3472 posts
No, my point is that while Ponting was okay, it isnt great, great is a term that gets used to much
11:30am 30/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11184 posts
He is arguably Australia's 2nd best batsman EVER, Top 3 at least along with Bradman & Chappell.

Your definition of 'great' must be a very tough one.

He scored nearly 30,000 international runs, won every trophy available in the game of cricket, including 3 World Cups - I'd give him the classifcation of 'great'.
11:45am 30/11/12 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
489 posts
You cant play forever.

F**** sake Faceman that means i only have 1 more year left to make the team before i'm no good... sigh
12:46pm 30/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3474 posts
He is arguably Australia's 2nd best batsman EVER, Top 3 at least along with Bradman & Chappell.

Your definition of 'great' must be a very tough one.

He scored nearly 30,000 international runs, won every trophy available in the game of cricket, including 3 World Cups - I'd give him the classifcation of 'great'.

no, I am just measuring it against more than "most runs scored"

how is his strike rate, average,

batting average, it too is average

is he a good batsman, no doubt, but he has at times seemly thrown his wicket away (playing aggressive when stubborn is needed)

is he a good fielder, bloodly oath, and he is handy enough with a ball to help

was he a good captain, I dont think so, he had a good team, and the guy is well spoken, but sometimes the choices he made were a little WTF?

most of the records he has are due in part because of the length of time he has been in the team, so it isn't a true measure of "greatness", it just means that he was okay enough at the job to stay (that in itself needs to be applauded, because 17 years at the top is a feat)

so what measure are you using for greatness, because for me, he was a okay/good cricketer,
03:27pm 30/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17537 posts
not trying to steal the luls away from copuis but have a look at this gem:

http://i.imgur.com/Ii8dR.jpg
03:53pm 30/11/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20924 posts
bwahaha Dave ya n00b!

also this thread is full of lols

Copuis is silly

Ponting is most definitely a GREAT of the game!!
04:11pm 30/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34646 posts
haha, did pave post our convo?

if so, i stand behind what i said.

my eyes light up everytime a spinner comes on to bowl in whatevs form of cricket.
04:38pm 30/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11185 posts
how is his strike rate, average,

Huh?

He averages 52, across a 17 year career. That is remarkable.

Only 5 years ago his career average was 59.

His strike rate is also above average

but he has at times seemly thrown his wicket away (playing aggressive when stubborn is needed)

What? you must be trolling.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/226373.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/223889.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/215686.html

05:29pm 30/11/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2359 posts
copuis...
http://slicktiger.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/never_go_full_retard.png?w=630&h=444

Just... no.

He has something like the 25th highest career batting average out of all the thousands of players who have ever played Test cricket all over the world going back over 100 years. You seriously need to look up what average actually means.
10:20pm 30/11/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
2005 posts
I'll say it again, from many sports to cricket itself.

Tasmania pwn you :D
11:57pm 30/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9601 posts
So is this the Test Thread ?

What a strange days play.
Two monster batting tracks then we get a batsmens graveyard.
And SAF won the toss and batted.

Where did our bowlers from the last test go ?

Whats the point of Watson bowling if he can only bowl a handful of overs ?

What happened to SAF batting ?

Did the two flat tracks make the batsmen a little lazy ?

How good is du plessis ?
Hes the White Wall.

12:03am 01/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3477 posts
copuis...http://slicktiger.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/never_go_full_retard.png?w=630&h=444 Just... no.He has something like the 25th highest career batting average out of all the thousands of players who have ever played Test cricket all over the world going back over 100 years. You seriously need to look up what average actually means.

dude, he has an average of around 52, most long playing top batsman have an average around 50-52, which would make him average, (we are talking batsman here, not players that bat)

btw he currently at number for of current player, you all understand i'm not saying he is a bad player, i'm saying he is not a great
just how many greats do you want in the game?,

it is also worth noting that balls haven't changed in 100 odd years mean while bats are bigger and badder, and easier to make runs

if it helps, i think Lara is a great, and in the modern game his average would be higher
07:15am 01/12/12 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
156 posts
Where did our bowlers from the last test go ?

They're being rested because of the short turn-around and stack of overs they had to bowl in the last day.

Whats the point of Watson bowling if he can only bowl a handful of overs ?

I guess Clarke didn't want to burn him out when the others were getting the job done quite well.
08:12am 01/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17542 posts
watson's too old retire him

AMIRITE FACEY OR WHAT

the turnover in the cricket team should be like rugby league, once you're around 30/31 you should retire

last edited by paveway at 08:16:38 01/Dec/12
08:13am 01/12/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6337 posts
lol at cowan getting a standing applause, ricky was just sitting back pissing himself.
09:20am 01/12/12 Permalink
defi
Wynnum, Queensland
2943 posts
You mean Lyon? And my 2c, Ponting is definitely a great of Australian Cricket. He was the greatest Australian batsman of his time and one of the most successful captains ever, as well as our equal most capped player. Your dreaming if he's not a great.
09:34am 01/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2360 posts
dude, he has an average of around 52, most long playing top batsman have an average around 50-52, which would make him average, (we are talking batsman here, not players that bat)
This is just plain wrong, are you willfully ignoring the stats? Only about 40 out of all Test batsmen in the history of the game have ever had a career average above 50. I think you seriously underestimate how many Test batsman have played for an appreciable amount of time over the last 100+ years of Test cricket.

Ponting was not average by any metric. No one's saying he was the best the game has ever seen, they're just saying that you cannot deny that he was much better than just a good batsman.

you all understand i'm not saying he is a bad player, i'm saying he is not a great

just how many greats do you want in the game?,
Well from this thread alone it looks like about 20 votes for Ponting being great and 1 vote against. I guess we can agree that he was great!

if it helps, i think Lara is a great,
Aside from highest top score, Lara's stats are virtually no different to Ponting's in any significant way. How is Lara great and Ponting not?

and in the modern game his average would be higher
What are you smoking? Lara's career started just 5 years earlier than Ponting's. Modern game? How much do you think changed in those 5 years compared to the previous 100? Not to mention that for 11 whole years they were both playing the same "game" at the same time.
10:09am 01/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17543 posts
well if there is one thing to take away from this thread it's that copuis knows nothing about cricket
10:46am 01/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9603 posts

Its a pity we never got to see Punter take on McGrath and Warne.
1st drop is the toughest place to Bat.
Punter thrived in it.
He also thrived in one day Cricket.

Id love to see him get 100 today.
But i dont think it will happen.

What do you guys think of this no-ball being checked for dismissals thing ?
Revert to the backfoot law.

If Siddle was fit he should have played.
Biggest test match for years.
Fatigue is Cricket Alarmism.

last edited by FaceMan at 11:38:49 01/Dec/12
11:36am 01/12/12 Permalink
Chakas
USA
3488 posts
South Africa showing what bowling full can do early in an innings.
01:47pm 01/12/12 Permalink
defi
Wynnum, Queensland
2944 posts
Goooonnneee
01:58pm 01/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17545 posts
This is retarded
02:03pm 01/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9607 posts
what an amazing test.
Who would have thought this time yesterday SAF would be 150 ahead with 1 wicket down ?

I wouldnt write Australia off though.
Punter is due watson clarke hussey can bat for long periods.

Pitch looks great on GEM.

I missed the first session today damn it.
had to go to SUPER SATURDAY at Chermside.
07:21pm 01/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21852 posts
Bring back Quiney I reckon.
07:25pm 01/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17547 posts
And doherty
08:12pm 01/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9608 posts
Test Cricket is still the pinnacle of Cricket.
You are nobody until you perform at Test level.
It must be preserved.
11:25pm 01/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9609 posts
In a five-year period from late 2001 until the end of 2006, Ponting scored a magnificent 6449 runs at the lofty average of 72.46 in 105 innings. He had no superior in that period.

The best Batsman for a five year period.
100 innings and he averaged 75.
Only Bradman was better, and to be honest it wasnt the same game back then.

He is truly one of the greats.
Lara Tendulker Ponting
and Im not too sure about that order.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/farewell-to-ricky-ponting-the-great-entertainer/story-fndpt0dy-1226528124108

01:47am 02/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21853 posts
welp, looks like we are s*** again.
05:38pm 02/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36585 posts
I loved watching Ponting play; I thought he was a true professional of the game in everything he did. I don't know what his track record was overall as captain and how it compares - some guy on the news the other day said something like "Ponting will be remembered as the first Australian to captain three Ashes losses" or something like that, which I thought was pretty dumb. Certainly not how I'll remember him - first class batsman, first class cricketer, and all round legend.
05:51pm 02/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21854 posts
He was a great player but damn did he have some uninspired captaincy. While it was a great series and really close he should never have lost the Ashes with the side he had in 2005.
06:01pm 02/12/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20925 posts
South Africa are just toying with us now!!

Still 20 odd overs tonight and 2 FULL days play left!

Triple century for Punter to win it for us???
07:07pm 02/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9613 posts
I think Smith is giving A B De Villiers a chance to have a rest before keeping.

Could also be Smith rubbing Australia nose into it.
Completely demoralising them.
07:43pm 02/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34652 posts
stage is set for epic ponting final innings.
09:45am 03/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21857 posts
I'd say that the second coming of jesus is more likely than Ponting saving this test but then again, if he does, it will pretty much be the same thing.
09:47am 03/12/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11186 posts
He was a great player but damn did he have some uninspired captaincy. While it was a great series and really close he should never have lost the Ashes with the side he had in 2005.

But the side ppl think he had, he didn't really have.

Gillespie was injured and pretty much gone for good.

We only lost 2 tests in the series, and surprise surprise - they were the 2 tests that McGrath didn't play. We had Shaun Tait playing FFS, so the team wasn't THAT good!

Also, both Damien Martyn and Simon Katich were subjected to the worst run of umpiring decisions I've seen since early 90's Pakistan tours!

I was essentially Ponting & Warne vs England, and England just managed to pip us. Hayden's epic selfish innings in the 5th test didn't help, more interested in saving his spot in the team than retaining the Ashes.

last edited by spidz at 11:42:31 03/Dec/12
11:40am 03/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21859 posts
Yeah Martyn middled it into his pads a few times and then was also unlucky enough to get dropped after then series.

Our batting lineup was still ridiculously strong. Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Clarke, Martyn and Gilchrist. And of course the great S.K.Warne. If it wasn't for him we would have been absolutely flogged that series. Did Ponting decide to bowl first before or after McGrath was injured in the second test?

Warne totally should have been captain/coach/everything after Steve Waugh's retirement. I suggest everyone watch the following videos for a true display of awesomeness.

Seriously, cricket hasn't been the same to me since he retired :(
11:46am 03/12/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11187 posts
Selfish arse shouldn't have retired, instead of banging Liz Hurley most nights, there is no doubt he would still be taking wickets at Test level for Australia.

I reckon he could play till he is 45 he is/was that good.

Punter sent them in after the injury, but its alleged he wasn't aware how bad it was and it was still 50/50 whether he would play.

Our batting lineup looked strong on paper, but Hayden was always going to fail against a quality fast bowling unit in English conditions and Gilchrist has the worst series of his career.

Marto & Katich were the let downs, but Marto smashed the cover off it into his pads twice and was given LBW, Katich got an LBW when it pitched a foot outside off, and we all know Kasper wasn't actually out in the famous final dismissal!

11:51am 03/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17555 posts
dear god that man was a WIZARD

spook would totes be all over that, sending it over the fence lul
11:57am 03/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21860 posts
Well he is playing in the Big Bash and is captain of the Stars this season so let's hope we see some great things.
12:21pm 03/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9615 posts
England played very well in those Ashes Wins.
They could have won 4 straight but they suffered a terrible run of injuries meaning a half strength squad came here and lost 5-0

I think also under Ponting the fitness level of the players improved and Australia prolly had the fittest team going around. Nowadays, especially since 20/20 a lot of the other sides are just as fit, in a way we didnt so much get worse as the other sides closed the gap.

I still rate Australia as the #1 Cricket nation.
Every side lifts when they play Australia.
I actually believe some of the problems in those Ashes series came from appalling choices made by selectors.

I could have went out there as Captain and won with the team Taylor and Waugh had. A lesser player than Punter might have quit along with Gilly and Co but Punter had the guts to stick with it through what was going to be a tough period for Aussie Cricket.

01:14pm 03/12/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5154 posts
Spidz, that Ashes was the series that truly highlighted to me the need for the third umpire on a number of decisions.

From memory Flintoff had THREE wickets in the first TWO tests that were off no balls. Plus the dodgy LBW decisions they really cost us the series.
01:18pm 03/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17556 posts
Is it just me or has facey got all emotional with his cricket posts since punter announced retirement?

Be careful what you wish for eh?
01:19pm 03/12/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11188 posts
From memory Flintoff had THREE wickets in the first TWO tests that were off no balls. Plus the dodgy LBW decisions they really cost us the series.

Indeed, and not to mention the hundred Flintoff made he was out plumb LBW to Warney when he was on 3. I remember it like it was yesterday, Warney bowled a straight one and it was knocking middle out of the ground. He was given not out and went on to make a series defining hundred.

In the same match, Katich had 59 and looked solid and got the worst LBW I've ever seen...and Martyn's LBW was also in the same match. England held on to win by 3 wickets after all these shockers...(including the dodgy Ponting runout!)

Here are the cricinfo commentaries of the incidents.

11.1 This time Mr Dar gets it wrong. Big inside edge as Martyn drives. The ball then hits pad and the loud shout for lbw is upheld! Australia in deep trouble now at 22 for 3 22/3

107.3 Just short of a length, pitching outside leg, straightening, hit on the pad, loud shout for the lbw and Aleem Dar thinks long and hard and gives it. Unlucky for Katich there as that one pitched well outside leg. 314/7

63.5 Warne to Flintoff, no run, pitching on, turning just a bit, Flintoff defends, the ball hits pad first and Warne lets out the most passionate plea of an appeal you are ever going to see on a cricket field. Not out, says Bucknor.

Then a few overs later

Consistent turn for Warne in this spell. England have seen that. you can be sure he will send in a straight ball or two in the next over, and we've just seen a replay of the LBW shout on Flintoff, looked adjacent from here - England very lucky, Flintoff needs to cash in. Kasprowicz back in the attack. When play got under way yesterday he bowled a tidy spell. Australia need him to do that again now.

Those 3 decisions all in the one match, all went one way. Very costly!

last edited by spidz at 13:50:50 03/Dec/12

last edited by spidz at 13:52:17 03/Dec/12
01:48pm 03/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17557 posts
That guard of honor by south africa was one of the best things i've ever seen
02:50pm 03/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36586 posts
Heh was wondering if we had a thread about that game spidz was talking about - sure enough: http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/2343208 . Pretty funny looking back and seeing all the rage again (especially from spidz) and Warne love from fpot.
02:50pm 03/12/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36588 posts
boo :(
03:28pm 03/12/12 Permalink
sLiNky
Brisbane, Queensland
1396 posts
all over red rover
03:29pm 03/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16285 posts
all over for ponting
03:29pm 03/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3480 posts
shame we didn't have a great batsman to save us
03:32pm 03/12/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13850 posts
Argh, bad luck. Ciao Ponting.
03:33pm 03/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17558 posts
I'm pretty sure clarke showed how he felt in dealing with those last 2 balls

So close to lunch..

Absolutely devo, 0 luck for the guy
03:34pm 03/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21863 posts
Speaking of old threads...

The day the music died :(

edit: oh and just so everyone knows, that thread contains the post of the century
03:47pm 03/12/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11189 posts
Heh was wondering if we had a thread about that game spidz was talking about - sure enough: http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/2343208 . Pretty funny looking back and seeing all the rage again (especially from spidz) and Warne love from fpot.

haha, seems my memory has faded a bit. Seems Warney had Fred plumb when he was on 8, not 3!

Post from 26/8/05

onsidering freddy was as plumb as you'll ever see for 8, i think the luck just aint going to ever go our way.

ahah from isaac

Funny... Flintoff and Jones were both out long before they made any meaningful runs, no luck, marto hits the cover off one and gets given. No excuses for the rest of the batsmen though, f***en pathetic.

my reply

these aren't 50/50 calls going against us guys. they're just f***ups pure and simple by the umpires.

they say you make your own luck but this is becoming ridiculous.

oh man, I just kept reading and just kept raging, in fact just reading about it again now makes me rage all over again!
04:16pm 03/12/12 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1665 posts
07:49pm 03/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17559 posts
That was an awesome moment

Full respect to south africa for that
07:58pm 03/12/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20926 posts
100% agree, South Africa and in particular Graeme Smith for doing the guard of honour !
08:03pm 03/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16286 posts
true sportsmen
08:14pm 03/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2361 posts
shame we didn't have a great batsman to save us

YAEH if only Lara had played in the MODERN GAME he could have emigrated to Australia and played for us then we would have had a great batsman amirite guyz?!

derp
09:12pm 03/12/12 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1666 posts
09:23pm 03/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3484 posts
YAEH if only Lara had played in the MODERN GAME he could have emigrated to Australia and played for us then we would have had a great batsman amirite guyz?!derp

nar, lara knew when to quit,

the waca is a batting wicket atm, SA has shown that, and a good batman, and a good (former) captain would have gone out and held his wicket for a draw
03:26am 04/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2363 posts
nar, lara knew when to quit,

And when exactly do you think that was, the 1930's? Or maybe the 40s?

Don't worry, I'll tell you, it was 6 years ago. Ahh those were the good old days, well before the modern game changed everything!
06:01am 04/12/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2371 posts
Yeah lol copius. the golden age of cricket was probs 78-96. In that the players had a lot more personality and was more interesting to watch for the average viewer.
My boss gives me an old school cricket story every day til end of term atm, and the sledging and banter that went on back then gave the game a touch of comedy that it sorely needs today.
Without it, its just a boring game for men to pretend they know anything about.
07:14am 04/12/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11190 posts
the waca is a batting wicket atm, SA has shown that,

Actually no, its not.

There were 4 innings in the match, pick the odd one out.

Our batsmen didn't lose it, playing our 3rd string bowling attack is what cost us.

Siddle, Pattinson, Cummins, Hilfenhaus, Harris would at least be our first 5 picked fast bowlers and we went with Starc, Johnson and Hastings. I mean Hastings, WTF?
09:49am 04/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17560 posts
wouldn't waste your breathe bro

the guy clearly hasn't a clue
10:07am 04/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21865 posts
If copius wasn't such a massive dolt I'd say he has actually trolled you all pretty hard.

Siddle and Hilfy must have been pretty damn tired to miss that test. Didn't some players come out and say they were treating it as a grand final?
01:46pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34657 posts
siddle would have been spewing he wasnt playing.
01:49pm 04/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9619 posts
some of you have very narrow views on Cricket.
Just because you dont see it the same way as someone else doesnt mean their view is wrong.

03:30pm 04/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21870 posts

One of the great overs.
08:09pm 04/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3485 posts
And when exactly do you think that was, the 1930's? Or maybe the 40s?Don't worry, I'll tell you, it was 6 years ago. Ahh those were the good old days, well before the modern game changed everything!

other than watching the rage at this, some people have no clue, lara quit before he was unable to sting more than 10 runs in a innings together, not a reference to the year he left ya dong

it was like when schumacher decided that it was time to leave F1, he was on top, and was great, THAT is what a true great does, they know when to quit, walk away, and coach the next bunch, support them and be idols, not the has beens, those that are filling a spot,

but then schumacher came back, and what a come back, about as good a punter has been!

hell even warne knew that in the long form he was starting to slip alitte (the phat stacks of cash waiting in the IPL most likely helped too)

there is a point where all "greats" wither, however it would be nicer to think of what they could have achieved, rather than watch them fail at it
09:02pm 04/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21871 posts
hell even warne knew that in the long form he was starting to slip alitte
Nice try but now we know you're trolling for sure.
09:04pm 04/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9622 posts
there is a point where all "greats" wither, however it would be nicer to think of what they could have achieved, rather than watch them fail at it

Hussey though old is still a master Batsman.
Ponting wasnt.
I think he was passed it last summer.

I just heard that Punter is going to be replaced by
Spoiler:
Israel Folau
09:36pm 04/12/12 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12391 posts
Brad Thorn.. Has signed on for a season with the Highlanders in the Super 15 rugby comp next year. He will be 38 by the time kick off happens. Try again.
09:46pm 04/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2365 posts
copuis, aside from the fact that your entire post came about from a complete misunderstanding of the point of my previous post, the fact that some great athletes don't know when to quit does not stop them being great athletes.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Ponting should have quit sooner, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't a great batsman.
09:58pm 04/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9623 posts
This would be a huge ratings bonanza, seeing Warney try to bowl out England.
Sadly i dont think Warney could bowl 10 overs of quality.
This has no chance of happening.

We almost beat the #1 test side, i dont think its panic stations.
Though i dont think we have a quality spinner.
I think if Warnie wanted to help he should get on board the coaching staff.

11:33pm 04/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21872 posts
Holy s*** I just came. It would be so awesome watching Warnie smash the english batsmen to pieces all over again. I reckon Trott would be a massive bunny of his. We already know Bell is.
02:07am 05/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34661 posts
get him back.
06:54am 05/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3487 posts
Brad Thorn.. Has signed on for a season with the Highlanders in the Super 15 rugby comp next year. He will be 38 by the time kick off happens. Try again.

eh, I dont mean an age, never said an age, your getting your posts mixed up there,
09:02am 05/12/12 Permalink
Chakas
USA
3490 posts
Link
Pretty much sums it up as far as I'm concerned.
10:01am 05/12/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2373 posts
Yeah, bring back the fat gutted womanizer. Used to be great fun lolling at him and then giving a cheer every now and again.
10:10am 05/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17564 posts
tell us more

you have added nothing to this thread except about how superior you think you are because you dislike cricket
10:31am 05/12/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2376 posts
To quote the master blaster -' no time for whistling'
look it up young blood.
10:42am 05/12/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17565 posts
so edgy
11:48am 05/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2369 posts
Don't bother pave, you summed it up perfectly with "you have added nothing to this thread except about how superior you think you are", that's exactly how I'd describe basically all of his posts in every thread. Nothing but vacuous criticisms.

Looking forward to whatever cynical and conceited reply he comes up with to this.
11:52am 05/12/12 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2379 posts
You both have no idea. I dont have to prove anything to either of you presidents of the internets.
Again, 'no time for whistling'. f(*ken hell.

Unless you have played International Test Cricket, then there is nothing any of you can add to this thread that is of any merit.
Cricket threads always seem to get angsty. Which is kind of funny considering it is a boring as f*** game to watch.
And the commentary is generally woeful. Play it back to someone from a non-cricket nation. Its people talking about anything, because nothing, is happening.
Catch the post game highlights fair enough, but to actually watch a test match is as terrible as the games 'fans' themselves.
Again, i dont give a f*** what Paveway, of all people thinks about me.
12:13pm 05/12/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2370 posts
You both have no idea. I dont have to prove anything to either of you

Couldn't agree more, you don't have to prove anything to anyone.

But funnily enough - considering you brought it up - it seems to me like you feel that you actually do need to prove yourself, unless there's other reason why you feel the need to try to be so conceited and demeaning all the time?
12:34pm 05/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9625 posts
hes just in Denial about how awesome Cricket is.
Hes a Cricket Denier.
12:40pm 05/12/12 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2381 posts
Got it in one faceman. i try, i really try. But its like the fish that got away. i only ever hear about how amazing it is. Never really ever see it.
12:52pm 05/12/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21873 posts
^ gee who would have guessed you're a 4chan poster.

Better remember to upgrade your account to gold though so your anime avatar works properly though bro.
03:00pm 05/12/12 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2382 posts
F***, backyard rules. 6 and out :(
04:32pm 05/12/12 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1750 posts
this is the same peanut who thought himself superior to all office workers because he was a courier driver right?
09:30pm 05/12/12 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2383 posts
No. Just the d*******s who cant cross a road properly. From memory the topic was jaywalking. So yeah, but nah.
10:53pm 05/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:53pm 05/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.