Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Wii U - What do you SPECIFICALLY want to know before buying
Steve Farrelly
Sydney, New South Wales
5678 posts
So we have our Wii U now, and while it releases this Friday, we do plan on posting up impressions of the console beyond the short hands-on demo sessions we've been privy to over the last year or so.

But everyone has posted a lot of this stuff already, especially given it's already available in the US.

So for you guys, our core community -- tell us precisely what you'd like to know from a decent amount of time with the game and, of the launch titles, which ones you want to know the ins and outs about before you proceed with purchase and we'll endeavour to answer any or all of your questions regarding Ninty's new digs.
11:52am 28/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:52am 28/11/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8321 posts
05:28pm 28/11/12 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
Sydney, New South Wales
5679 posts
Message apparently received
05:34pm 28/11/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1428 posts
How long is the charging cable for the controller, and does it still charge upwards while playing (ie: if I play on the couch for the most part, I can take it away whenever I like)?

Any problems with the TV/STB integration? Can it control an AppleTV/Surround Sound (or is it just TV/STB manu's)? Does it support xbox360 IR control? :)

What does the tablet controller feel like on the older games, especially zelda and mario64? Is it a case of needing to buy the pro controller?

Definitely going to get one, especially due to the day 1 homebrew (for development research of course).
06:59pm 28/11/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1700 posts
Not that I'm buying one but have they included the 1gb launch day firmware update that the Americans took hours to dl? I heard it's already on EU systems.
06:59pm 28/11/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1701 posts
Simul I'm pretty sure that wii vc titles only work in wii mode, the machine has to reboot and has no knowledge off wii u accessories so you can still only use wii remote or classic controller with them.
07:02pm 28/11/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1702 posts
Actually that's something I've wondered, does the eshop have all the content that the wii shopping channel did so you can get all those items again, and when you do the wii to wii u transfer do they only come over to wii mode or are they available from the wii u interface?
07:06pm 28/11/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5063 posts
The question with every new console I see is "what RPGs will be coming out for it" and usually that means waiting over 2 or 3 years
08:34pm 28/11/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1033 posts
Can it run Crysis?
Can it believe its not butter?
Can it make dinosaurs?
Does it travel single file to hide its numbers?
Does it have any conspiracies surrounding it, so Faceman can post them?
Can my cat sleep on it?
08:52pm 28/11/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5064 posts
Will the Monster Hunter game ever get a western release? I sure hope so as that would be the balls.
09:24pm 28/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8135 posts
Will the Monster Hunter game ever get a western release? I sure hope so as that would be the balls.

March 2013 is a rumored date, with 3DS cross-play.
10:11pm 28/11/12 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2438 posts
I posted a bunch of questions on facebook steve, id copy pasta but cbf.
11:05pm 28/11/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8075 posts
Can't think of anything. I'll be picking mine up on Friday anyway, so I'll have a play with it myself. Also just got an email saying that my copy of ZombiU has been shipped, woo!
12:29am 29/11/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5458 posts
Considering how expensive the pad controllers are expected to be - would a second player feel disadvantaged in the launch titles if they don't have one?

Also, how fragile are they & if the one that comes in the box ends up breaking and you're forced to fall back on a Wiimote or Pro controller are there any titles that are severely impacted by expecting that missing second little screen?

If you're able to speak to someone from Nintendo it'd be interesting to know what their thoughts are on the "cheap console/expensive controller" deal will play out in terms of game design etc as opposed to their upcoming next gen competition which will most likely be "expensive console/cheap controller", considering the Wii has traditionally been positioned as a console more friendly to multiplayer 'gather everyone round on the couch' situations.
12:50am 29/11/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5611 posts
Has anyone probed the U to figure out what the hardware is?
Have they upgraded the online experience?
Do they still have the s***** Friend Code you have to use?
08:06am 29/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2360 posts
Nintendo is dead imo.
08:55am 29/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8136 posts
Nintendo is dead imo.

That's what they said when the Wii was released, and the DS, and the 3DS.
09:06am 29/11/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1062 posts
Nintendo is dead imo.

They have def discouraged "Gamers" but attracted a massive family appeal.
10:15am 29/11/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5236 posts
anyone who has modded the wii can it run programs like xbmc or plex, i would be very interested if it could and i am also guessing it doesnt support bluray
11:04am 29/11/12 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1681 posts
I have been wondering if it supports bluray.
12:40pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4113 posts
Is the Platinum (or whatever its called) pack a worthwhile purchase, or should I stick to the regular pack?
01:22pm 29/11/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5065 posts
I have been wondering if it supports bluray

Just like the Wii, the Wii U will use a modified Blu-Ray format capable of holding up to 25 GB of data per layer. On a very lame note however, the Wii U will NOT play Blu-Ray or DVD movies.

Why neuter your console's bluray drive so that it can't play movies? The f*** nintendo seriously.

EDIT - The difference between the 2 packs seems to be 32gb of memory over the 8 of the normal pack, charging cradles and stands for the console and the pad, Nintendo land game and a nintendo network premium subscription... whatever that is.

last edited by DM at 13:49:56 29/Nov/12
01:44pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8144 posts
Why neuter your console's bluray drive so that it can't play movies? The f*** nintendo seriously.

EDIT - The difference between the 2 packs seems to be 32gb of memory over the 8 of the normal pack, charging cradles and stands for the console and the pad, Nintendo land game and a nintendo network premium subscription... whatever that is. last edited by DM at 13:49:56 29/Nov/12
I'm presuming because they have to pay licensing fees from whoever owns proper bluray tech. Not really sure why we need a console to play blurays anyway, most of my content is streamed from computer to WDTV Live. I'll be using my Wii U as a gaming console more than a media centre.

Also the Nintendo Network Premium subscription is a rewards program that gives you 10% of the game cost towards points, which can be used for various things.
01:59pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1321 posts
Is the Platinum (or whatever its called) pack a worthwhile purchase, or should I stick to the regular pack?

Dude you stick to crayons and paper....... you're hopeless at video games
02:07pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20297 posts

They're different colours I think, the normal one is white and comes with no games, the more expensive one is black and comes with Nintendoland packed in.
02:45pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4114 posts
It could be rainbow coloured, thats no concern for me. Nintendo land will presumedly show up for $20 second hand pretty quickly , so it really comes down to whether 8GB is enough and whether the extra cradles or whatever they are, are worth having?

I dont know how quickly it chews through its storage, so thats the kind of thing that an article could address. Is 8GB plenty or is it next to nothing?
05:23pm 29/11/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5240 posts
with the 8gb you only have 3gb of storage left.. but you can install external USB drive to it

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/external_usb_storage.jsp
05:31pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8077 posts
Have they upgraded the online experience?
Do they still have the s***** Friend Code you have to use?

Both of these have been answered for a few months now. Much improved online experience, no friend codes.

They're different colours I think, the normal one is white and comes with no games, the more expensive one is black and comes with Nintendoland packed in.

The white is 8GB, the black is 32GB. Also, the premium gives a 10% refund on all eShop purchases until some time in 2014.

One of the cradles is a charging dock.

I'd definitely be going for the premium bundle. In fact, I am!
06:18pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34637 posts
Nintendo is dead imo.

lolz.

anyone who has modded the wii can it run programs like xbmc or plex,

wii's struggle as media centres, i woudlnt bother even trying to use one for that purpose
06:28pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20301 posts
I would have gone for the premium one just cos its black, I didn't realise there were other differences, so thats just a bonus I guess. I'm so superficial.
06:28pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1703 posts
There's a Couple good threads on neogaf going over some of the technical limitations currently imposed on the consoles output. You can only use one video output at a time, so too bad if you wanted to route both hdmi and audio cables separately.

And Nintendo was too cheap to pony up for dolby or dts licenses. The only surround sound you can get out of the system is 5.1 PCM, so if your avr doesn't support that you're sol. Even worse is they have practically removed dpl2 surround sound from wii mode unless the game actually has dpl2 options in the game settings. Since many games relied on the wii system settings (which they have removed on wii u), most games will now only output stereo.

Such a backward step imo..
06:35pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4115 posts
The only surround sound you can get out of the system is 5.1 PCM
Gah, so fail. I just assumed with HDMI Nintendo would have *finally* got on board with surround sound.
06:47pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8078 posts
Wow, that sucks about the lack of Dolby or DTS. My amp doesn't do 5.1 PCM. :(
09:15pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1704 posts
What's worse is some of the retail boxes have the Dolby logos on them too. Surely it's illegal for them to do that too. Here's the thread with more tails. /tom haverford

Yeah, it's a weird feeling not wanting to go buy this Nintendo system, for me who has always been a pretty staunch follower, and was there on the launch night of the Wii. I think if I buy one it will be quite a way down the line when something I really can't go without comes out on it. Right now it seems to be frustrating all over with how slow and buggy the system is with hard locks and all that.

It was a warning sign to me that the system only came with disc playing abilities on launch and there was a day 1 patch to give the system all it's functionality. I'm betting NCL was in major crunch mode and were coding and doing QA on the OS right up to the last week.
10:32pm 29/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8151 posts
Hot damn it looks good. Sadly I need sleep so it shall sit on the charger, but got Rabbid Lands for $38 at EB which was a sweet deal.
01:20am 30/11/12 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
898 posts
went and bought one to just check it out. Got FIFA13, Tekken, Mass Effect, Warriors Orochi and a few others.

Had a bash at FIFA13 which is awesome on WiiU with being able to use the big controller to do on the fly changes to your formations, use the touch screen to tell other team mates to make runs in what directions and a few other neat things.
09:58pm 30/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3670 posts
I wasn't sure about it, but visited a friend today, the tablet controller is actually very light and comfortable.
10:04pm 30/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20311 posts
I was thinking about buying one after playing Nats' one at work, but when I looked through the list of launch titles on metacritic, I still had trouble finding games I'd actually want to buy =\

The scribblenauts one seems to get some good reviews, and I've never played a scribblenauts game before so I guess it'd be all new for me, seems like a waste just for that though.
12:11am 01/12/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
2008 posts
SO MANY QUESTIONS, NO ANSWERS!
12:23am 01/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8168 posts
I wasn't sure about it, but visited a friend today, the tablet controller is actually very light and comfortable.

Yeah it surprised me as well, thought it would be same weight as my tablet. Tried out Nintendoland today, some really great games in there that show off how successful the gamepad controller is if used right. Captain Falcon racing game is my favourite so far, really interesting method of using the second screen as your top-down view with your TV giving you frontal view.

I'm really tempted to try and make a DnD style game, just to see if it is possible. I've got a few coder friends doing nothing at the moment and it might be an interesting concept if done right.
12:24am 01/12/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6688 posts
The scribblenauts one seems to get some good reviews, and I've never played a scribblenauts game before so I guess it'd be all new for me, seems like a waste just for that though.
Scribblenauts Unlimited is on Steam, with Steam Workshop integration so you can share stuff you've edited.
12:28am 01/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20313 posts
Pretty expensive to get the tools and the API and stuff to develop on Wii, cos you need to become a licensed nintendo developer and all that stuff, I don't think theres many (or any) avenues for garage style indie devs. I dunno if its different for Wii-U, would be good if there was some way they could open it up more, cos it'd be good to see what people can do with the new controller.
12:30am 01/12/12 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
277 posts
Got Assasins Creed III, Batman Arkam City, Super Mario Bros and NintendoLand, so far played mario and alot of Nintendoland, and liking it, mainly because its just nice to have mario in 1080
01:08am 01/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8169 posts
Pretty expensive to get the tools and the API and stuff to develop on Wii, cos you need to become a licensed nintendo developer and all that stuff, I don't think theres many (or any) avenues for garage style indie devs. I dunno if its different for Wii-U, would be good if there was some way they could open it up more, cos it'd be good to see what people can do with the new controller.
It looks like Unity has support tools for it and I absolutely love that engine. Apparently Nintendo don't charge for patches and some other small things but I'll have to look into it more. I guess it is somewhat Indie friendly if titles like Trine 2 and Nano Assault Neo are on the eShop.
01:53am 01/12/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5066 posts
I've got mine and all I can say is this is the single most comfortable controller i've ever used for any system. I've got big hands so this is the perfect fit for me due to it's size. It has a pretty sturdy feel to it without it weighing like a small bear. Real glad my sister pestered me to get one now. Got mario, AC3 and Nintendo land and while I've yet to try AC3 out, nintendoland has some pretty graphics for what it is. The Zelda game is great fun. Will try it out more tomorrow. Also eager to try out ZombiU and Scribblenauts.
01:59am 01/12/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2364 posts
went and bought one to just check it out.

This says it all. Gimmicky s*** for the mass consumer.
08:57am 01/12/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8079 posts
10:50am 01/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1430 posts
Anyone know how the supply is holding up? Thinking about grabbing one this weekend once I'm back in town.
01:15pm 01/12/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5067 posts
Disappointed that you can't access your like and favourites on the Youtube app. Almost makes the damn thing pointless for me.
03:09pm 01/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20316 posts
Apparently, the Wii U eShop is quite good for indie developers.

Yeah, it does sound pretty good for developers, but I was talking more about the cost of getting set up to develop Wii games for people sitting at home, making a game in their own time with a few friends. Frozenbyte on the other hand are a proper development company of 20+ people.

Guess it comes back to what I was saying somewhere else recently about the overuse of the term 'indie'. I mean I guess they're indie in the sense that they're independant from a publisher, but when I think indie I think of games made by a single person or a couple of people, not games made by medium-sized professional studios. I'd imagine a company like Frozenbyte would have no problem paying the licensing costs to be a Nintendo developer and buying dev kits and stuff, but for someone sitting at home making a game in their own time, its not quite so easy to do.
05:49pm 01/12/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8326 posts
Indie development is going to take off with Ouya IMO.
07:06pm 01/12/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8080 posts
Indie development is going to take off with Ouya IMO.

I hope so, but I'm skeptical.
08:34pm 01/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34649 posts
there is no way anyone is having fun with a wii-u, because it has less polygons than next generation consoles
08:57pm 01/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8170 posts
there is no way anyone is having fun with a wii-u, because it has less polygons than next generation consoles
Yeah man, those polygons hey, definitely detract from the overall gameplay.

Bought ZombiU and Super Mario Bros. U today, such great games with excellent multiplayer gameplay. ZombiU's versus multiplayer is hilariously fun, the gamepad really helps enhance the tactical RTS style gameplay, hopefully we'll see some great games.
09:28pm 01/12/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2367 posts
Will probs get this for Silent Scope and New mario bros. 2 . Hopefully is fully hackable like wii.
10:41am 02/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8171 posts
If anyone wants to add me Froodle is my Nintendo ID.
03:34pm 02/12/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8081 posts
I've added you, Eorl. I read that both users have to specifically add each other, is that right? If so, mine is MiddaCliff.
06:36pm 02/12/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5068 posts
Serimorph here.
06:58pm 02/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8172 posts
I've added you, Eorl. I read that both users have to specifically add each other, is that right? If so, mine is MiddaCliff.
I think so, though it might just be for the first friend addition.
08:02pm 02/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:02pm 02/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.