We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Looking at getting a puppy
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2873 posts
Hey guys, I have 2 small kids (under 4) and looking at getting a puppy for the family.

A few people have recommended Staffy's - just keen on peoples opinions on here. Not worried about getting purebred - trying to keep the costs down a bit.

Let me know your thoughts qglersssss

* I grew up with Huskies in my family but wouldn't own one myself - malting s**** haha

** I like the look of pugs (I know ridiculous right) and Beagles. So im completely undecided which way to go.
11:14am 24/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:14am 24/11/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5605 posts
My advice: get a cat.

Dogs are awesome but require too much maintenance for lots of people. Nothing worse than seeing a dog locked up day in day out and bark at everything that moves because it is bored out of it's skull.

Staffys are great from the ones I have met. Stay clear of awesome high energy dogs like Kelpies.
11:17am 24/11/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6109 posts
I've never had one myself but growing up the neighbours across the road had corgies and we used to go over there all the time to play with them, they were great fun.
11:24am 24/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9576 posts
staffys are hunting dogs.
they are dangerous animals to have around kids.
they are dangerous animals full stop.

11:43am 24/11/12 Permalink
deve
Brisbane, Queensland
79 posts
staffys are hunting dogs.
they are dangerous animals to have around kids.
they are dangerous animals full stop.

If you buy from a breeder that's a piece of s***. absolutely... other than that, they're good dogs.

Have a look at King Charles Spaniel or Maltese x Shih Tzu.. Had a lot of contact with these particular breeds over the years and they're nothing but joy.
11:47am 24/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9577 posts

WORST OFFENDERS

Top five pure breeds responsible for attacks:

Staffordshire bull terrier 650

Australian cattle dog 351

German shepherd 310

American Staffordshire terrier 252

Rottweiler 207

Top five cross breeds responsible for attacks:

Staffordshire bull terrier 362

Australian cattle dog 188

Bull mastiff 145

Mastiff 140

Australian kelpie breeds 138

Number of recorded attacks by breed

Source: Division of Local Government, 2010-11

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/115668/dog-attacks-on-the-increase/
11:55am 24/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20932 posts
My advice: get a cat. Dogs are awesome but require too much maintenance for lots of people. Nothing worse than seeing a dog locked up day in day out and bark at everything that moves because it is bored out of it's skull.Staffys are great from the ones I have met. Stay clear of awesome high energy dogs like Kelpies.

+1
People who buy dogs and then just lock them in the back yard, don't take them for walks or play with them should be locked up so they can see how it feels.

sif cats though. cats are a*******.
12:00pm 24/11/12 Permalink
deve
Brisbane, Queensland
80 posts
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/115668/dog-attacks-on-the-increase/

cool dude.

Anyway, a couple friends of mine have staffy's who have both been around kids and they're great.
12:07pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2933 posts
12:17pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8100 posts
12:25pm 24/11/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6110 posts
Anyway, a couple friends of mine have staffy's who have both been around kids and they're great.

And if you asked any of the owners of staffy's who've attacked before they did it I'm sure they'd tell you the same thing.
12:50pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9958 posts
Any dog will attack a kid if you f*** with it the wrong way. I know a family that have had 2 staffies and a border collie with their kids growing up no issue.

My brother has had a lab for his kids whole life no issue.
His mate had the same thing, kid jumped on the dog, it bit him.

Touch your kids how to respect animals properly imo.
12:52pm 24/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3625 posts
sif cats though. cats are a*******

not all. different cat breeds have personality traits same as different dog breeds.

I was never much into them then after my wifes cat died we got 2 chocolate burmese pure breds, brother and sister. they are little cuddle sluts, love playing, play fetch with clothes pegs, we can run through the house and they chase us (not for long though cause I'm so unfit) and generally just love attention. totally different to what i had been used to with stand offish cats who just want food and you never see them otherwise. ours are totally indoor cats never been outside on their own but we do take them out on leashes.

cats are also good because you can go away over night or 2 nights even and you don't have to worry about them. use an automatic feeder, plenty of water, clean kitty litter, and just go. can't do that with a puppy.

my tip is get 2 cats to keep each other company when you're away. kids will love them, low maintenance, and if you choose the right breed it will be the same as a little puppy to kids that age. How could your kids resist this?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-EZKOeVhhxCA/T4PsFHD-b0I/AAAAAAAAFbE/UBBS_GKGeVg/s640/IMG_1009.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ybZEVBPHjjI/T4PrUAaK6iI/AAAAAAAAFas/wYsJDxZ3Kbs/s640/pics_16.jpg

last edited by crazymorton at 12:54:58 24/Nov/12
12:52pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Grimy
Brisbane, Queensland
438 posts
There's two types of Staffordshire Bull Terriers, English and American. The American ones are known to be considerably more aggressive than the English. Having said that, I never trust any dog of any size near my little one alone.

We've got a 2.5 year old English staffy and 3 yr British Bulldog and both love our 1 year old girl kid. Sticks fingers up their noses, pulls tails, face squishes, throws blocks at them and laughs....they take it all and more. Dogs were obviously around before baby but you teach them to be gentle and the likes. Given you already got the kids and dog will be a pup, way easier that way round.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n166/KritalJay/Dogs/IMG_9220.jpg
12:56pm 24/11/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10750 posts
Adopt from a shelter or rescue organisation. Like I said in another thread recently, anything else would be a c*** act.

A rescued dog will love you all forever and ever and ever.

http://www.bestfriendsrescue.com/

Don't worry about not being able to find anything suitable because a f***ton of dogs are abandoned each year.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/09/07/3312078.htm

Of the around 400 000 abandoned cats and dogs in Australia each year, about 180 000 of these are euthanised.

A small terrier or a shih tzu would be great with young children. They are really playful dogs. Just be aware that they are very loyal and intense guard dogs, so they may bark. Dogs bark and s*** but you can train them not to. Maybe don't get the shih tzu because their mouths are too small to bite anything :P

Our neighbours have a young one and it is the funniest little dog.

last edited by dais at 13:13:54 24/Nov/12
01:11pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20933 posts
not all. different cat breeds have personality traits same as different dog breeds.

My cat is an a******.

Her food is right there, but she won't eat it unless I stand next to her. If I stand there and she starts to eat, and I walk off, she'll come rub up my leg, jump on my lap, headbutt me, put her ass in my face and do everything felinely possible to get me to go stand next to her again.

Leave food outside while I'm away and she won't eat it.

If I go outside, she'll immediately want to come in and eat, but if I put her food outside she won't eat. Oh no, she HAS to eat inside.

F*** cats. Cats are a*******.
01:35pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3259 posts
cute cats crazymorton :)

I've always been a fan of cat's because I'm pretty lazy. I would love a dog but I would also need to commit to walking it and playing with it and training it etc. Maybe later in life when the little one is grown up a bit.

+1 to what dais said
01:41pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1479 posts
Any dog will attack a kid if you f*** with it the wrong way. I know a family that have had 2 staffies and a border collie with their kids growing up no issue.

My brother has had a lab for his kids whole life no issue.
His mate had the same thing, kid jumped on the dog, it bit him.

Touch your kids how to respect animals properly imo.

Heard about a case of a Golden Retriever being put down for biting a kid at a wedding. Kid was seen pushing and kicking the dog before he got bitten. Yet the dog had to be put down for being "dangerous".
01:53pm 24/11/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8660 posts
We've got a 2.5 year old English staffy and 3 yr British Bulldog and both love our 1 year old girl kid. Sticks fingers up their noses, pulls tails, face squishes, throws blocks at them and laughs....they take it all and more.

Seriously, be careful.

Those dogs (regardless of breed) will see ya kid as 'one of the pack' and can go for it at any time if your daughter 'steps out of line'. Not saying it will (and probably only one of them will, the dominant one), but you'd be mad to think it won't.

My pug/dachshund is the dominant one and will, at times, let our kids know who's boss. Never attacked them, but dogs treat kids differently to adults, especially small kids.

How many dog attacks to you read about and the owner says 'the dog has never done this before, he/she is placid and harmless' (etc)

02:39pm 24/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3440 posts
If you buy from a breeder that's a piece of s***. absolutely... other than that, they're good dogs.Have a look at King Charles Spaniel or Maltese x Shih Tzu.. Had a lot of contact with these particular breeds over the years and they're nothing but joy.

pretty much this,

however, a pure bred shiz tzu will take pretty much anything (non violent) a kid can throw at them, they have no issues been dragged around like a doll (carried in that half arsed way kids do) flipped into their back and cradled like a baby, they will happily stay there getting pats. and have the added bonus of exersizing themselves
02:43pm 24/11/12 Permalink
deve
Brisbane, Queensland
81 posts
And if you asked any of the owners of staffy's who've attacked before they did it I'm sure they'd tell you the same thing.

The same could be said for any dog, you just don't know.

Some species are more prone to going off the rails, yeah, but a huge part of that is their upbringing.
03:24pm 24/11/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10752 posts
a pure bred shiz tzu will take pretty much anything (non violent) a kid can throw at them

Yeah they absolutely adore kids.

I would see if I could find a rescued shih tzu. It would be worth waiting for if necessary too.

last edited by dais at 15:29:07 24/Nov/12
03:28pm 24/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3441 posts
The same could be said for any dog, you just don't know.Some species are more prone to going off the rails, yeah, but a huge part of that is their upbringing.

it also goes without saying that some breds are more capable of doing damage should they go off the rails,

but the mini poodle that mauls a small child is never going to be a headline in the news,
03:28pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Grimy
Brisbane, Queensland
439 posts
Indeed mission, hence previous statement. We don't trust any dog, no matter how friendly, ever. B**** Bulldog (she's a girl and b**** when she wants) is the boss.
03:31pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7523 posts
In my life I have had the following dogs:
Male pure bred Maltese (Lived to 16)
Female Maltese x Shihtzu (15)
Male from the second litter of these two. (12)

Male Maltese x B***on Frise (~6y old)
Male King Charles Cavalier Spaniel x B***on Frise (1y old)
Male Maltese x Cavalier/Miniature Poodle (currently 6mo old)

First thing's first - Maltese are aggressive little things.
All of ours have been pretty tame by comparison, but the youngest is fighting a lot over food and going at every other dog that comes near :(
The Maltese-B***on can be a real nasty one if you come near him with food.

The Maltese x Shihtzu was reasonably okay with people, but when the law had to be laid down she'd really get stuck in.

The Cavalier/B***on though is really placid and friendly. He's not the kind of dog that has to come up to you to be cuddled, but likes to be around and/or sit on your lap/next to you, and loves sprinting through bushes etc - long body and legs of a real runner. I swear, though, he has some Beagle in him - when the nose goes down, that it', he's tracking.

That's the thing I was warned about when looking for pups (and ended up getting Casper) - Beagles are tracking dogs. Nose to the ground, go.

Cavvies will shed like crazy once every two weeks - during this time expect any tshirt you're wearing while you pick them up to come off covered in fur.

As far as stats on attacks go, you have to look past just the number of attacks. You also need to look at how many are owned across that survey segment, and you also need to look at what was involved in the stats. If I sit there poking a dog long enough, I can make any breed attack. Since some breeds are more likely to be owned by the type of families that will gladly drag a dog around by the tail and think it's funny then kick it when it bites back, you have to take these stats with caution.

As far as other breeds go - my brother wants a Klee Kai, and they look like an awesome breed, but you've got buckleys chance of getting one in Australia.

Other dogs that might be good with kids would be something like a B***on x Miniature or Toy Golden Retriever, Dashund, or Cavalier x Miniature Poodle (Cavoodle).
04:41pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6332 posts
05:33pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8104 posts
Maltese breeds are pretty placid when trained well, like any dog really. I had a female pure Maltese for 17 years of my life and she was the greatest little dog ever. Even at 16/17 she would still find the energy to run around and play in the yard. This is really my go-to breed for anyone asking for a dog, as they really are an all-kinds pet.

They are a small dog so they work well with kids because of their size, they only grow to about the size of a small toddler (maybe smaller), appetite is small so not as much food needed (though Jessie was a hoover at times), they are good guard dogs if you train them right and they will wear themselves out as well. Our dog had an appetite for male calves only, would not touch females but if the postman or milkman came by she'd go nuts (unless she knew them of course).

Overall, I'd recommend a Maltese breed over any other as they are a great little ball of fluff. Also so damn cute.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/24346_1414453245626_6992793_n.jpg
05:48pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7526 posts
Great little ball of fluff? Who the hell sicked the clippers on to that one? That's not cool ;p
08:24pm 24/11/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6111 posts
The same could be said for any dog, you just don't know.

Some species are more prone to going off the rails, yeah, but a huge part of that is their upbringing.

Yup, any dog is capable of it pit bulls have a tendency to be preferred by f***head owners and on top of that they have some big f*****g powerful jaws. So when they do go off the rails the victim sure will know about.
08:34pm 24/11/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1016 posts
+1 get a cat. You have to teach kids to pat them gently and not like a dog though. Cats can act like a*******s but thats apart of their charm. All of my cats have been moggies (non-purebred) and have been awesome. Not a single cat was bought, they came to us. If you do get a dog though, don't get cattle dogs or working type dogs.
04:38am 25/11/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2874 posts
Cheers for all the posts guys, I'm not much good with cats (allergy wise) so I'm not keen to to down that path.
Plus the mrs loves dogs so must keep her happy.
07:30am 25/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8105 posts
Great little ball of fluff? Who the hell sicked the clippers on to that one? That's not cool ;p

Haha that would be my sister I think, was a pretty awful job I must say. Though getting it professionally done they can look pretty damn awesome.
09:58am 25/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34617 posts
haha cats

all cats are good for is filling sacks
11:11am 25/11/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10755 posts
They don't really belong in Australia as there is too much tasty wildlife. But of course the real problem is irresponsible owners who let them stay out at night and/or abandon them.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/pestsweeds/FeralCats.htm

They spread rapidly across most of the continent. It is estimated that there could be 400,000 feral cats in NSW and around 12 million across Australia.
11:24am 25/11/12 Permalink
CubanPete
Brisbane, Queensland
61 posts
These guys are awesome but have heaps of energy. Hungarian Vizsla

http://www.vizslak.net/gen5.JPG

last edited by CubanPete at 11:34:16 25/Nov/12
11:33am 25/11/12 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5328 posts
Touch your kids

Not really the place for a comment like that Eds
11:56am 25/11/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1017 posts
If you have cat allergies I can understamd. Get a French Bulldog, Never owned one or seen one in person but these little guys look awesome. http://goo.gl/5H645
01:25pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
9095 posts
My advice: get a cat. Dogs are awesome but require too much maintenance for lots of people. Nothing worse than seeing a dog locked up day in day out and bark at everything that moves because it is bored out of it's skull.Staffys are great from the ones I have met. Stay clear of awesome high energy dogs like Kelpies.

oh so your one of these wonderful people that have cats that roam around my house, scratching my car up and cause a mess... just cause its "too much maintenance" to have a dog that stays in your yard ...
04:11pm 25/11/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10761 posts
Speaking of cats, our new neighbours' little tabby cat has been coming to visit regularly to escape from their possessive shih tzu. But today I discovered that is not the only reason she has been coming over.

Our 17.5 year old Aussie Terrier has been intimidated by the cat because she is not her old self any more. The reason the cat has been stalking her in to the garage where we feed her though is because, as I discovered today, she has had two kittens in there. She is such a small cat that I never imagined her having kittens, but that would explain why there were only two. They look a few weeks old and there are no bad smells in there so they must have been all she had.

So much for our guard dog!
04:12pm 25/11/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1019 posts
Ahh cool, Daias. You could tell the owner of the cat about it. If they don't give a s*** you can find a local animal shelter/care givers/foster people to take the cat and kittens. Post a pic of them if you want to.
04:23pm 25/11/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10763 posts
I didn't take a photo, I was too busy making sure they didn't get squashed by the huge slab of granite she was hiding them under in the garage, which was leaning against a cupboard.

The owner took them after we found them and I told him about http://littlepawskittenrescue.org.au/
05:07pm 25/11/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10764 posts
Thinking back I could have taken a picture after I put them in a laundry basket, but I was in a hurry to do the right thing and give them to the neighbour.
05:18pm 25/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3660 posts
Viszla's are great dogs.
05:26pm 25/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
414 posts
+1 on rescuing a dog from the pound.

Picked up my collie x lab b****, Bonnie, when she was a little over a year old. She was already trained (both basic tricks and house trained), de-sexed and given a full medical + chipped for probably a similar price (or even cheaper) than buying a puppy.

Basically, we got all of the awesome dog with none of the pains of dealing with the puppy bit (chewed shoes, etc.)

Of course, some dogs are there and have a past you might randomly discover. Bonnie hates certain men for no real reason. She always barks at my bestie even though she's known him most of her life (though never hostile towards him).

I've actually heard that some of the larger (like REALLY large) dogs are really good family pets. They might get issues with joints when they get older though, but they're apparently amazing with children and don't actually require as much exercise as a small - medium sized dog does.
08:09pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7527 posts
08:22pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Drummo
Melbourne, Victoria
180 posts
I like the look of pugs (I know ridiculous right) and Beagles. So im completely undecided which way to go.

Australian Bulldog
French Bulldog
Boston Terrier

I'm a Bulldog fanboy but would suggest you stay away from the British in our climate. Boston Terriers I always confuse with French Bulldogs which is why I put it on the list :P

Any of those three fit the look you like and while they do malt they are fairly short haired in comparison to Huskies.

I've never known a bad tempered Staffy but people will quote all kinds of figures, and coming from me it's purely anecdotal. That's a decision for you and the SO.
10:10pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9832 posts
Those dogs (regardless of breed) will see ya kid as 'one of the pack'

All dogs think like dogs.

Good owners are viewed by the dogs as dominant members of that pack.

No baby will ever be seen as dominant.

Some individual dogs (not breeds) may be more tolerant ... but annoying child behavior and dogs do not mix.
11:01pm 25/11/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2877 posts
Looks like we may have a purebred English staffy lined up it was supposed to be a showdog but one of his nuts didn't drop so we can pick him up cheap and should be well trained. 11mths old.
Will go check it out this week
11:42am 26/11/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8661 posts

Some individual dogs (not breeds) may be more tolerant ... but annoying child behavior and dogs do not mix.

True, dogs won't normally challenge the leader but will challenge other members of the pack (i.e. non-dominant members) hence why they might EAT YOUR BABYS FACE OFF
02:33pm 26/11/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10516 posts

Bulls***.

02:50pm 26/11/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2233 posts
Quotes and statistics may not define all breeds and situations, but surely it's pertinent information. Why risk a known aggressive breed if you have the choice?
I am firmly of the opinion that owners have a big role and responsibility when it comes to dogs, but as Wetwired said, some dogs are a lot more dangerous simply because of their ability to inflict damage.
Your young child is far less likely to receive serious injuries from a pug than a rotty, end of story.
I have two dachshunds and a 3 y.o. daughter. My dogs are for the most part very gentle and great around people. However both dogs have also shown signs during isolated incidents that they can be aggressive.

Gordon is submissive but will not tolerate most other dogs and "bit" my ex-wife (by accident mostly) as she got between him and another dog at the dog park. At the time we were concerned but now that we've split I am thinking maybe he was onto something...

Agatha is very gentle but she has bared her teeth when I've had to physically pick her up and put her outside in the past. She is stubborn but the aggression was more to do with a back injury and I suspect she was in a bit of pain and/or didn't want to move due to being "comfortable" in her current position.

99.9% of the time they are submissive and playful and just want to be involved. They are great guard dogs and very loyal. However they aren't generally recommended for kids due to being a bit stubborn and they can be aggressive (got the dogs well before the kid in my case).

I wouldn't trust any dog around my daughter unsupervised, even my own. They're dogs and need to be treated with respect and some common sense.

BTW what is the fascination with staffies? There are hundreds of breeds, why not go for something different? I personally think there are much more interesting breeds around.
03:05pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Peeka
Melbourne, Victoria
345 posts
staffys are great dogs english staffys can be hyper so just be aware of that make sure you take them for a walk every day to drain there energy other than that they will take to you kids like there own pups. I have a Great Dane x mastiff x bull arab she is 76 kgs and she never leaves my sons side no matter where he is.
03:05am 27/11/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2878 posts
yeh reason for staffy is one of our clients breeds them so it is convenience more than anything
09:34am 27/11/12 Permalink
Drummo
Melbourne, Victoria
181 posts

I think we should all just agree that leaving your child alone with an animal is a bad idea.
10:26am 27/11/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10773 posts
Your dogs look like a ton of fun Raven :]
11:22am 27/11/12 Permalink
CubanPete
Brisbane, Queensland
62 posts
Don't forget your southern cross tattoo when you collect your staffy..
11:32am 27/11/12 Permalink
Peeka
Melbourne, Victoria
346 posts
and say straya c**** alot when ya pick it up
Don't forget your southern cross tattoo when you collect your staffy..
01:42pm 30/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:42pm 30/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.