We take a look at inXile's cRPG successor Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 Reviewed
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Stinky's Kitchen - Sweet Ghost Chilli Sauce
stinky
USA
3737 posts
Stinky's Kitchen - Sweet Ghost Chilli Sauce

A co-worker gave me some Ghost Peppers from his garden.   Now I love chiles,  but I definitely have my limits and I think Ghost Peppers in their normal form are probably well beyond those limits.     I wanted to find a way that I could use them that could allow me to taste them without having a nuclear furnace inside of me.  

I've previously made Ghost Chorizo Sausage which while tasty didn't really have the sort of zing I'm after.    I had recently made some Thai Sweet Chilli sauce with Red Jalepenos from the garden and was really happy with it,  so I decided to do similar with the Ghost Peppers.

Most of the sweet chilli sauces on the internet are very similar and use corn starch to thicken.   I'm not a huge fan of thickening cold sauces with corn starch so I swapped it out for xanthan gum,  feel free to use corn starch ( or don't thicken at all ).   Here's the recipe I came up with.

Ingredients:

• 1 Ghost Pepper

• 1 Red Bell Pepper

• 2 Peeled Garlic Cloves ( bonus points for using preserved garlic)

• 1/4 Cup Vinegar ( I like Rice or Cider for this )

• 1/3 Cup Sugar

• 1/4 Cup Soft Brown Sugar ( or palm sugar if you have it )

• 3/4 Cup Water

• 1 Tablespoon Salt

• 1 Star Anise (whole)

• 1/4 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum

Method:

Cut a few slits in the red bell pepper and cook it over a gas burner until black and blistered all over.   Place in a bowl and cover with saran wrap.

Bring a pan up to medium heat,  Briefly toss the star anise in the pan to toast it.    Add the Vinegar and half the water along with both sugars and the salt.   Finely dice the Ghost Pepper  and the Garlic cloves and add them to the pan ( up to you if you want to add the seeds also ).

Bring the pan up to the boil and then reduce to a slow simmer for about twenty minutes.  

Peel the skin off the red pepper ( I find using a fork for this makes it pretty quick and easy ).    Don't worry if there's a few charred bits of skin left, that'll just add flavour.    Dice the flesh as finely as you can and add it to the sauce with five minutes to go.

Remove the sauce from the heat after twenty minutes is up.

Add the Xanthan Gum to a little bit of the left over water and whisk to form a paste.   Add the rest of the left over water and whisk it vigorously ( or use a stick mixer or a blender ) and then pass it through a sieve to catch any clumps.

Once the sauce has cooled down to about room temperature add the Xanthan gum and whisk.    You can use a blender or stick mixer for this,  but you do want pieces of the pepper suspended in the sauce so don't go too crazy.

Poor into jars and refrigerate.

05:09am 24/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:09am 24/11/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6990 posts
f*** yeah, looks awesome.
I like my hot sauce runny for quick distribution ala tabasco.. I gather it would be fairly similar without thickening?

speaking of spicy sausage, a kind european sounding gent down at the markets just sold me his spiciest spanish salami.
http://i.imgur.com/M12Zf.jpg
tastes really good while pretty f*****g spicy too but the way he slapped and handled the meat was somewhat disturbing. he also had some crazy powder cured ones that looked like s*** but tasted amazing.

then it's settled, stinky's going to do more cured meats :)
08:56am 24/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:56am 24/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close