We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
The Walking Dead Episode Five: No Time Left Review
Steve Farrelly
Sydney, New South Wales
5672 posts
Jickle's Season One journey for Telltale's The Walking Dead games has finally come to a close with the release of The Walking Dead Episode Five: No Time Left.

As his Editor, it's been a gripping ride. Even though I haven't actually touched the games yet (I'm waiting for the single, full season package and some time off), every ounce of his emotion towards the game has been laced through his review words with each episode, and upon reading this last submission and learning that the game brought the man to his knees, it made me want to get into it all even more.

So here it is, the season finale review for Telltale's The Walking Dead.
05:42pm 22/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:42pm 22/11/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1274 posts
Pretty much feel the same way. I think this might be a milestone in the history of gaming.
05:47pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Icarus
56 posts
Ah, I've been waiting for the review all day! I finished the episode earlier.

Really satisfied with the game as a whole. The only thing I didn't like, and still don't after finishing episode 5, is how I feel they're bragging about their whole "Affected by the choices you make!" Like in episode 1, you choose to save one of two people, then in episode two the person you save is out for a majority of the episode, then in episode three.. you know. And there's soo many things just like that, where you choice ultimately did nothing.

If I don't look at it like it's one of those games with a myriad of possibilities, and just look at it for its evolving story, that's when I see I really enjoy it.
05:55pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2839 posts
This is GOTY for me. This is the first time a game has actually moved me. The premise is so so simple, the gameplay is straightforward but it's just executed so well.

Sometimes when I play a game with dialogue choices/ethical decisions I play an 'evil' character or a totally selfish one to just f*** around. With this game though I didn't have that same desire, I made the choices I wanted to make. You honestly care about the decisions you make, and you're torn when making a difficult choice.

It's hard to not get a little emotional in this episode.

GOTY.
05:55pm 22/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16237 posts
i will be surprised if no gaming establishment gives this GOTY. it's definitely earned the title.
06:08pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Jickle
Adelaide, South Australia
11 posts
It's definitely my GOTY pick. It really built itself up into something greater than the sum of its parts over five episodes.
06:20pm 22/11/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1275 posts
The funny thing is that before this season started, I thought Telltale as a company were done. They took on all these new IPs, which up until now seemed completely crazy. I've played everything Telltale has made, but after the mediocre Back to the Future and outright bad Jurassic Park, Walking Dead wasnt on my radar at all. Sam and Max Season 3 was the last good game I thought they had made. The only reason I got WD was because of recommendations from Khel and Eorl. Turns out they were on the money.

F*****g loved the water cooler talk between episodes, had a mate playing through it who made vastly different choices to me, it was always fun discussing the different ways situations played out.

Hanging out for Season Two, but I'm pretty sure they won't be able to top themselves on this one.
06:32pm 22/11/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2784 posts
Just bought the season pass for 12.50 on steam. i wanna play naoooooooooooooo
07:29pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
220 posts
50% off on Steam right now as part of the Autumn sale.
07:29pm 22/11/12 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1703 posts
Epic game, very moving...

just watching end credits now....
10:19pm 22/11/12 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1704 posts
oh and make sure you watch till end of credits
10:20pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8078 posts
I'll just copy paste what I wrote on my Facebook after finishing the game, but I must say Telltale has made an excellent Season 1, and I truly hope for a Season 2.

If a video game such as Telltale Games The Walking Dead is able to make you feel so attached to the characters, so intimate with the setting and so damn sad, it is no longer a child's toy. It is no longer something considered immature. It has gone beyond that by striking emotion into you, by making you want to see what your choices have made and making you literally cry out when something bad happens to the characters.

At one point I actually felt pure hatred for a character. He was old, he was annoying and he hated my guts. And I hated his because the character was so well written to push our buttons.

Telltale's The Walking Dead is a game of pure perfection which strikes so much emotion into you that you forget its a video game. It's gripping, it's heartfelt and it's so damn sad.

I definitely, 100% recommend this game, and with Steam currently having it on sale for 50% off its a bargain.
10:42pm 22/11/12 Permalink
registradus
Melbourne, Victoria
2 posts
Was the contrived part where you have a sit down with that guy? Because if so, I agree.
10:32am 23/11/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8046 posts
01:05pm 23/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16243 posts
Was the contrived part where you have a sit down with that guy? Because if so, I agree.

i think only if you didn't steal the food in episode 2. i stole the food so it didn't feel contrived.
01:11pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8087 posts
i think only if you didn't steal the food in episode 2. i stole the food so it didn't feel contrived.
Spoiler:
Yeah that bit would of seemed a bit odd had you not stolen anything. Simply blaming you for the groups actions is a bit of a weasel way out of giving a new direction, but it didn't feel too detrimental to the storyline.
01:54pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6683 posts
Looking at the stats at the end, I was surprised so many people chose "shoot" over "leave".
01:55pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Jickle
Adelaide, South Australia
12 posts
No, I stole the goods, that bit was great! I was actually talking about an earlier scene where....I'll try to avoid spoilers here...one character *ahem* put themselves in harm's way for the sake of another, even though the situation was beyond repair. It was a nice character moment, but it logistically it was a tad much.
03:48pm 23/11/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1277 posts
Agreed Jickle

Spoiler:
He totally couldve capped him through the gate and been done with it. Maybe he wanted to die at that point, although its counter to everything else he was saying in the episode about not giving up.
04:23pm 23/11/12 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2426 posts
just fyi regarding stolen food Spoiler:
there is no way not to steal food, you can object to it and be against it but they will still do it
the conversation is much the same either way.
05:34pm 23/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16246 posts
i have no idea what scene jickle is talking about.
06:51pm 23/11/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1279 posts
rav, Im guessing you made a different choice in the bell tower episode 4
07:42pm 23/11/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2785 posts
good a place as any to ask. i'm playing episode 2 and wondering how you can tell it has auto saved? i originally thought it was the spinning cog but that doesn't seem to mean anything. im sick of running through dialogue ive been through every time i sit back down
06:37pm 24/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16249 posts
whenever that spinning symbol appears in the top right is when it's saving
08:37pm 24/11/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8038 posts
because of the positivity in this and the steam sale thread I just started playing episode 1.

Why did i have to read some boring thread about episode 5 and some steam sale thread to learn that this game is f*****g amazing?
09:25pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5452 posts
haha where you been natslovr? I'm sure we were gushing about this game in the threads about Episode 1 to 4 as well.
09:33pm 24/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16250 posts
because of the positivity in this and the steam sale thread I just started playing episode 1.

Why did i have to read some boring thread about episode 5 and some steam sale thread to learn that this game is f*****g amazing?

and ep1 is probably the worst out of the bunch too.

09:45pm 24/11/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8040 posts
But i didn't like the TV show so didn't read the walking dead game threads, I just assumed it would be s*** like season 2 of WD. I can remember going 'how f*****g lame' when i saw that there was a game.
09:50pm 24/11/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2786 posts
whenever that spinning symbol appears in the top right is when it's saving

i thought that too but ive quit after the cog and i got sent back like 10 mins of dialogue. >
01:59pm 25/11/12 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
507 posts
Well i finally got around to playing this and finished it this morning... What a rollercoaster man. Some parts of this game really moved me, really made me think, and rethink my actions. I was always wondering if i did the right thing, always second guessing myself.

Episode 3 was the one that really grabbed me hard. A mate of mine didn't get the same sort of emotional pull as i did for that one. Difference being, as a parent, you can't help but put yourself in their shoes... It was rough, but it' draws on that connection a parent has with their own child. Kinda hard to describe to people that don't have a kid tbh, but damn that episode really moved me and made me think...

Epic game, i played the way i would have been in that situation and although the ending left me feeling a bit hollow, this will always go down as one of the best i've played and an easy thumbs up to GOTY
07:45am 16/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:45am 16/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.