Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
HTPC Software, What do you use?
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5220 posts
I am just wondering how many of you guys have HTPC setup at home? If you do what do you do on them just watch downloaded movies and TV shows or do you stream? If so what program do you use?

I was looking on this site on how many US streaming sites there is http://www.playon.tv/content-channels
I am just wondering if anyone here is streaming alot of that content and what program they use?

MY HTPC consist of:
Atom Processor
Windows 7:
TotalMedia Theatre for Blu-Rays
XBMC for Movies and TV Shows
Commander - ipad/iphone app for XBMC

I also have Apple TV which i use for Airplay only

I haven't done any streaming before and would like to get into it. Really want didicated Music channel, cartoon channel
05:00pm 22/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:00pm 22/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3437 posts
been using win 8, been great
05:48pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9956 posts
I have an i5 shuttle using Mediaportal as I need the TV component.
Everything else in the house runs plex, because Xbmc (last time I used it) didnt have a decent sorting filter.
06:12pm 22/11/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10505 posts
I don't stream. I have been running windows 7 WMC, but the last few days I'm trying out XBMC. It is much faster, but I find the writing to be tiny and there doesn't seem to be any way to change it other than to find a skin - but there is no way to determine what a skin will look like until you install and switch to it, and there are a lot of features lacking. Basic stuff like volume controls, browsing lists of stuff by pressing a letter key, and skipping forward/back seem to be non existent. Also the library feature only shows 2 shows out of hundreds that I actually have, and have to browse by files.

last edited by thermite at 18:14:48 22/Nov/12
06:13pm 22/11/12 Permalink
BoDGie
Brisbane, Queensland
599 posts
WMC7 + MediaBrowser
06:20pm 22/11/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7628 posts
I use xbmcbuntu on a miniitx pentium g850 box as the frontend for my main tv

FYI: xbmc frodo (just in beta) supports PVR frontend standard. It works with mythtv etc. i havent tried it, but xbmc is awesome... so its probably good.

I use sickbeard, couch potato and sabnzbd+ on a HP micro server running Ubuntu as my backend.
06:20pm 22/11/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7348 posts
and there are a lot of features lacking. Basic stuff like volume controls, browsing lists of stuff by pressing a letter key, and skipping forward/back seem to be non existent

I don't use the keyboard for control - I don't even know the shortcuts. I have the XBMC remote software on my phone that lets me use my phone's Vol up/down buttons for volume control and touchscreen controls for short/medium skip, fast-forward, info, play/stop, etc.

Quite pleasant to use and I've stuck to XBMC for about a year and a half because of it.
06:23pm 22/11/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7629 posts
and there are a lot of features lacking. Basic stuff like volume controls, browsing lists of stuff by pressing a letter key, and skipping forward/back seem to be non existent

Yeah, thats because its HTPC software, not computer software.

Its designed to be used with a remote control.

FYI: There are skip and big skip functions (by default 30s and 10min) which are auto mapped to the arrows on my remote.

Volume controls aren't possible with passthrough audio, but on my ATV2, I can control the audio with the remote.
06:32pm 22/11/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10506 posts
But I specifically mentioned stuff that WMC + mediabrowser had, things that I miss. I suspect there could be add ons or something that address these things, especially if they're in another major media center, but I haven't bothered to look yet.

edit; my remote has letters + I have a wireless kb

last edited by thermite at 19:22:54 22/Nov/12
07:21pm 22/11/12 Permalink
BoDGie
Brisbane, Queensland
600 posts
Remote controls have keyboards too? The numpad.

I use it all the time in MediaBrowser to skip to a particular title
07:21pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
315 posts
WMC7 + mediabrowser + mychannellogo + media center master
07:25pm 22/11/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7630 posts
I can't imagine life without xbmc.
07:28pm 22/11/12 Permalink
MrWolf
Gold Coast, Queensland
249 posts
WMC7 + Cyberlink Play Movie (bluray plugin)
07:33pm 22/11/12 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
2098 posts
xbmc with tvheadend on a ubuntu box.

just bought a raspberry pi for testing raspbmc.
07:34pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12390 posts
Apple tv 2 jailbroken with Xbmc on it..

Rando file server box with all the files in a different part of the house..

So far xbmc does everything I've wanted but i haven't played with the music stuff too much yet.. Some of the settings can be hard to setup through the Apple Tv control mechanism (my galaxy s2 doesn't make the best controller in its xbmc app)
07:39pm 22/11/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5221 posts
can anyone help me on good addons for xbmc to do streaming?
07:53pm 22/11/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7631 posts
Boxhead, have a look at the Yatse android app. It has widgets and even SMS/Call notifications.
08:10pm 22/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3655 posts
Main Pc is in lounge room so just win 8 plus wmc with mayhem (phone control) and logitch universal.
08:14pm 22/11/12 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1296 posts
i use snakeos on nsk330 from dx.com
it's awesome
10:16pm 22/11/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5653 posts
HTPC 1
i5 with a noctua nh-c14
8GB of ram
Intel 80GBSSD
1x 2TB Hitachi Coolspin
Some engermax 700ish watt psu
Silverstone LC17

Runs dual boot fedora and win7
Fedora runs xbmc
Win 7 is bog standard with a few video codecs

HTPC 2
i3 bog standard cooler
4gb of ram
Intel 80GB SSD
cheap arse tv tunner

Fedora running mythtv

10:32pm 22/11/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9773 posts
been using win 8, been great

that's sarcasm right? or do you invest in HN?

I must admit, I was hoping for Win_8 to be 'the' uber HTPC we've always wanted... but it can't even play a DVD like Win7 did :/

looks like I'm gonna go buy a cheapie Blueray player for the (imported Chinese) TV...
11:02pm 22/11/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2866 posts
People should try some of the fairly good remote control apps you can get for smart phones. I use Unified Remote for Android and I'm sure there are a few other types out there that are just as good. If I had a wifi TV I'd never use a normal remote again.

What software do people recommend for Bluray playback? I have Power DVD that came with the player but it is s*** and bloaty and s*** and I want something that doesn't cover the menus of the movie and pop-up the menus of the player when I mouse over the ones at the bottom of the screen.
11:04pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20930 posts
What software do people recommend for Bluray playback? I have Power DVD that came with the player but it is s*** and bloaty and s*** and I want something that doesn't cover the menus of the movie and pop-up the menus of the player when I mouse over the ones at the bottom of the screen.

hardware blu-ray player or pirate the movies. I'm serious. I know piracy is bad but c******* copy protection is worse. Every time I went to play a BD on my computer it would b**** at me to upgrade my player software. As the f*** if I'm buying a new version every time i want to watch a movie. So now I just don't use it, I use my hardware player instead. It cries at me to update the firmware but at least that's free.
11:25pm 22/11/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9775 posts
I use Unified Remote for Android

I miss the days when we would bag peeps for not linking to something (without spyware) that actually works.

er.. carry on people.
11:33pm 22/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3438 posts
that's sarcasm right? or do you invest in HN?

I must admit, I was hoping for Win_8 to be 'the' uber HTPC we've always wanted... but it can't even play a DVD like Win7 did :/

looks like I'm gonna go buy a cheapie Blueray player for the (imported Chinese) TV...

i really have had no issues, I put in a DVD, and it plays fine
03:46am 23/11/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5224 posts
Been playing with Plex last night looks pretty awesome! Probably the way im going to go!
06:28am 23/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3656 posts
I agree with whoop, I never play blue rays using the computer, had to go get a box as well.
06:37am 23/11/12 Permalink
MrWolf
Gold Coast, Queensland
250 posts
If you can find a bluray drive that comes with Cyberlinks Play Movie it works like a dream. Was a bit of a pain to update after my last rebuild but now it works perfectly and I output the audio direct to my amp through HDMI so the audio is premo to.

It's totally wife proof as well (as serious bonus for the married types).
08:45am 23/11/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1318 posts
I've had my HTPC running for a few years now, I never really touch it.

Intel Dual Core
4Gb RAM
10Tb HDD
Quad Tuners

Win 7 WMC
Media Browser - with plugins
TMT 3 for bluray - but hardly use it

I was pulling my own Shepherd stream for EPG for a while there but the OTA EPG has gotten pretty good these days so I don't bother anymore.

I use Xbox360 as an Extender also.
11:10am 23/11/12 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
2001 posts
I'm still rockin this. Feeding it with my HP microserver over network.

Also using this XBMC skin - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109470
12:11pm 23/11/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10508 posts
Honestly the player isn't the biggest problem for me, it's all the hard drives. When are they going to invent a hard drive with a decent capacity?
12:14pm 23/11/12 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
2002 posts
12:20pm 23/11/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5225 posts
yeah looking at upgrading my HP with 5 x 3TB HDD to synology 8 bay you can do so many things with the Synology NAS drives
12:36pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8068 posts
Hardware:
Acer Revo 3700

Software:
Windows 7
XBMC
SABNZBd
Sick Beard.
02:40pm 23/11/12 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2428 posts
dedicated HTPC (can't remember specs but i remember going a little higher to hopefully get a year or 2 extra life out of it) it does nothing but run XBMC.

run sabnzb and sickbeard on my main pc.

in the future id like to get some emulation happening on the htpc with game pad.
also like to have a nas for all my storage instead of using my main pc.
05:40pm 23/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:40pm 23/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.