Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
2nd Test Aus Vs SAF Adelaide
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9565 posts
Well, Punter failed again, 3rd ball, terrible footwork.
Kallis is slightly injured after taking 2/19
Will prolly bat though.

Aus 3/102 at Lunch

01:44pm 22/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:44pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34601 posts
63 runs scored after lunch by the time i had made it back to work from the pub;

good innings for warner, he needed it.

if australia wins, ponting will keep his spot, quinney is gone the second watto is fit.

good. hes a no one.
03:10pm 22/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9567 posts
The ground is very tiny due to construction work.
Poor bowling is going to be severely punished.
That Tahir is worse than Horroritz.
03:50pm 22/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3433 posts
they haven't lost that much facey, it is like 6 meters at its worse, and on one side
04:14pm 22/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21813 posts
Absolute f*****g carnage. Steyn is off and Morkel who is their only decent bowler just went for 20 in one over.
05:06pm 22/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11175 posts
faceman, you're on drugs.

Terrible footwork?

that ball that got Punter would have bowled every batsman in the games history.

It was a thing of beauty
05:25pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34602 posts
yer, ponting got a peach alright.

haha, i love spinners that dont hit the deck, ive got wood just thinking about what id do to a spinners full toss;
05:33pm 22/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3436 posts
faceman, you're on drugs.

Terrible footwork?

that ball that got Punter would have bowled every batsman in the games history.

It was a thing of beauty

bar boonie, boonie's wicket was a hard one, thats why he was so good, he might not have always gotten a high score, but f*** me, he was often there till the 8th wicket
05:37pm 22/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21814 posts
If Clarke gets his double he will be the first person in test history to score four doubles in a year.
05:39pm 22/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3623 posts
Clarke is killing them
06:26pm 22/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21815 posts
SAF more like SFA
06:33pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Dazzagc
Gold Coast, Queensland
1315 posts
Hussey goes for 103, clarke not out, he will get hope to be 300 runs breaking top off don bradman.
06:33pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5137 posts
In all seriousness. When you almost score 500 on day one of a test. You have PLENTY of time to go for 700 or 800 in the first innings. You could potentially aim for 750 odd and declare with an hour to play on day 2. If Clarke is willing to do that and he continues to bat fast and well he could top Bradman's score.
09:11pm 22/11/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13832 posts
SAF more like SFA

Well done. Bravo!

Demolishing. Geez Warner made them look and feel bad. Some of those balls he carted were good line and length - he was just hungry.

Clarke is so hot right now. Hussey also looks really damn solid.

To be fair - Gabba was a batting pitch and this is also very much a batting pitch. Not doing a lot for the bowlers at all. I don't reckon the Aussie bowlers are going to be able to take wickets either unless the pitch degrades substantially. I'd definitely bat on to a big score at this stage, with this wicket.
10:37pm 22/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9569 posts
This tour has been disasterous for SAF bowlers.
I wonder why ?

Too much one day/20-20 ?
Watson Syndrome ?
11:54pm 22/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21817 posts
If Clarke is willing to do that and he continues to bat fast and well he could top Bradman's Lara's score.
Fixed.
10:55am 23/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9571 posts
SAF 0/109

Looks like a draw coming up though its still early.
The longer Kallas gets to rest the easier for him to bat.

Should be a good Cricket Show tomorrow they got Sir Vivian Richards on.

•Voted as one of the five Cricketers of the Century in 2000
•Voted as having played Wisden’s best One Day International innings of all time in 2002.
•Chosen as Wisden’s greatest batsman of all time in 2002
•Wisden’s third greatest Test batsman of all time in 2002
•Voted as the third greatest ever player in a 2004 ESPN poll
•Voted as the second greatest ever batsman in the same 2004 ESPN poll (after Bradman)

http://www.kingviv.com/

03:33pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34609 posts
wade fluffed a stumping off clarkey

disappoitning.
03:38pm 23/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17517 posts
This game could go anywhere
03:51pm 23/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21826 posts
04:01pm 23/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21827 posts
If Ponting had good footwork he could have easily kept that ball out. It was a nice ball but hardly unplayable.
04:14pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34610 posts
ball was spearing into his feet, where would you have liked them to move to?
04:22pm 23/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21828 posts
A regulation forward defensive would have done the trick. It swung in and then jagged away but all he needed to do was get in behind it and not get completely squared up. Both feet were pointing straight down the pitch. Looks to me like he just completely lost sight of the ball.

And a nice little bonus run-out for us.
04:26pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34611 posts
i love running out bat dabbers.
04:28pm 23/11/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1045 posts
04:43pm 23/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11176 posts
A regulation forward defensive would have done the trick. It swung in and then jagged away but all he needed to do was get in behind it and not get completely squared up. Both feet were pointing straight down the pitch

He got squared up because it was tailing in at him, he had no idea it would then viciously swing away late.

Prime candidate for LBW if you just throw your foot forward at a ball like that, tried to get his bat under it and then remarkably it swung late the other way.

Saying he should have thrown a stock standard forward defence at it, is like saying Gatting should have kicked away the ball of the century. It's hard to cover those rare deliveries that go both ways!
05:07pm 23/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21829 posts
haha you are saying that ball was comparable to the ball of the century? Please tell me more. I posted the gif. If it is too small just zoom your browser in. There was also a hawkeye done a bit after he was dismissed. There was nothing overly dramatic about the movement, Ponting just f***ed up.
05:11pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34613 posts
wade lucky not to fluff another stumping
05:16pm 23/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21830 posts
David Warne(r).
05:24pm 23/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11177 posts
haha you are saying that ball was comparable to the ball of the century? Please tell me more. I posted the gif. If it is too small just zoom your browser in. There was also a hawkeye done a bit after he was dismissed. There was nothing overly dramatic about the movement, Ponting just f***ed up

Comparable in the sense that it tailed IN, then swung away. Which is a rare feat, especially for a non leg spinner.

The thing that made the ball of the century so good was that he ripped it so much it drifted from off to outside leg in the air, then spun across him - essentially the classic delivery that 'goes both ways'.

The Kallis delivery looked out of the hand like another big looping inswinger like the one that got Cowan, then dramatically it swung away late to take off. So what makes it comparable is that it essentially went both ways.

Only the most strident Ponting haters are suggesting it wasn't an absolute peach, or those who continually prove they are cricket nuffies. Sadly for fpot, he fits both categories.
06:10pm 23/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17518 posts
David Warne(r).

if that was SKW that bowled that ball that ripped back in and hit him on the bad and looked like going on to hit leg stump that they reviewed, the umpire would have given it out
06:19pm 23/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21831 posts
Well I am not a Ponting hater for a start. You really do have a problem with making s*** up don't you?

The simple fact of the matter is that a complete lack of footwork and lack of balance contributed heavily to the dismissal. I know you love to jerk yourself off about how much of a scholar of the game you are (you have actually referred to yourself as that unironically before) but if you'd actually look at the gif and get your hand of your own c*** you'd realise that if his movement was in order it would have been possible to keep that one out.

edit: plus you are literally the only person going on about how it was a magical unplayable ball. Even the commentators who are all ex-test cricketers, ex-test captains and Mark Nicholas (lols) were saying it was an embarrassing looking dismissal that Ponting wouldn't want to see again. I guess they must be cricket nuffies and Ponting haters too right?
06:20pm 23/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3439 posts
i am, i hate pointless, have done for awhile
06:22pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5140 posts
To me it looked like Ponting thought he was going to get a ball near his pads that he could hit through midwicket for four. Then it started moving away from him and due to his typically poor footwork early in his innings he ended up looking like an absolute goose.

In my mind it was a great ball made to look even better by Pontings terrible footwork.
08:57pm 23/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21836 posts
That is what I think too but maybe dial down a bit from great.
08:58pm 23/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11178 posts
Actually fpot, all the commentators at the time declared it an absolute gem of a delivery - I'm beginning to think you weren't watching?

Then again, doubt you were at work.

10:00pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
222 posts
Seeing the Ponting dismissal (a few times now) it's more a case of him f*****g up instead of the delivery being an absolute gem.

It's a OK delivery but:-

1) Ponting did not move his feet
2) Ponting did not have his eye over the ball (see point 1)
3) Ponting played down the wrong line (middle - again, see point 1)
4) Ponting overbalanced meaning he could never have played that ball (see point 1)
5) The delivery was actually a half volley and Ponting was trying to play an on drive. Being an off cutter it didn't hold the line Ponting expected and because he did not move his feet to the pitch of the ball the stumps were wide open and he got bowled.

TL;DR - Ponting didn't move his f*****g feet.
11:25pm 23/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9572 posts
rofl, very few of the commentators know the quality of a delivery from up there.
They see just as much as we do and tend to go easy on Aussie stars.

Dravid was dismissed the same way last year and i rem saying his footwork was gone too. Punter looks terrible he looks like Dravid last summer, hes agitated as the delevery comes in and he has lost that composed stance he used to have.

He should stand down and i wouldnt be surprised in he makes the announcement at the end of this test.

Just on Sport, that girl that fell from the balconey ?
Shes Mike Colemans daughter, he covers sport in the Courier mail and works with TEN news.
11:49pm 23/11/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
223 posts
Siddle is better at leaving than Ponting...
06:10pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
2002 posts
Lol @ the cricket. The #1 side should always win against a #3 side. Situation normal, here.
06:24pm 24/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5143 posts
quinney and ponting sure look like they deserve their spots atm. really impressed with how well aust has competed so far playing 9v11
10:04pm 24/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21841 posts
To be fair that ball he got in the first innings was simply unplayhahahaha sorry.

In all seriousness though I reckon he should be given the summer to make some runs and book his place in the ashes.
10:15pm 24/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9580 posts
Aussies are doing well because SAF are playing below themselves and Australia have had Clarke run amok

With an aussie quick down SAF could run down 400
i dont rate Lyon as a spinner.
Im yet to see him fool a batsmen.
01:14am 25/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34616 posts
yer, i agree with you there facey; hes bowled much better in adelaide, but im still not impressed with lyon;
07:56am 25/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17522 posts
Lyon is the best we've had since warne.

He actually spins the ball, uses some flight and loop

Warne is gone we aren't going to find someone half as good as him for a long time
08:35am 25/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21842 posts
Yeah I think everyone here knows my opinion on Warne (omg overrated I hate him so much). Lyon has been our best spinner since though plus he seems like a cool bloke so yay Lyon.
12:17pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5144 posts
i dont mind lyon so far. definteley best weve had since warne, macgill.

i wont feel safe in this test if our lead is less than 425. that ball that got clarke makes me think the pitch might do something though.
12:20pm 25/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21846 posts
01:15pm 25/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9582 posts
i dont know that Lyon is Test quality spinner.
I think Australia should play its 4 best bowlers not include a spinner just for variety.
Better to let the part timers bowl a bit of spin.

geez that Tahir is woeful.
His action is poor and he bowls like someone thats already bowled 50 overs.
His arm was almost at 45 degrees this morning.

SAF suffers from having to include coloured/mixed race players.
Must be difficult at times for Smith. He has the toughest job in Cricket.
01:45pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5145 posts
Amazing that Patterson has a ball hit his stumps (from a pace bowler unhindered) and not dislodge a bail.

Not sure I've ever seen that before.
02:16pm 25/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21847 posts
I've seen it happen a few times. I remember it happened once and the bail was actually unsettled but didn't dislodge.
02:24pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5146 posts
Seems Clarke agreed with me on 425.

To be honest with a full day and a half to go I would probably have let them finish off the innings. Patterson won't be bowling and Lyon won't bowl for at least the first hour so tiring out bowlers shouldn't have been a concern.

I do suppose the issue is without Patterson there will be significant periods of part time bowling mixed in so you need to allow more time (but also more runs to chase as a result)...

More I type, more I realise that is one bugger of a decision to make in this situation.
02:38pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34618 posts
Amazing that Patterson has a ball hit his stumps (from a pace bowler unhindered) and not dislodge a bail.

Not sure I've ever seen that before.

happens all the time;
ive seen balls go through the stumps at indoor and not dislodge a bail, seen bails hop and land back in their grooves, balls hitting the stumps and bails not move at all
03:09pm 25/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21848 posts
Well Australia are making some good inroads here. Got the important wickets of Smith and Amla in the bag. Just need to get Kallis out and it is almost a sure thing.

Lyon really proving himself here as a bowler as well.

edit: oh yes and De Villiers can be quite a nuisance as well. He has to be feeling the sting of keeping for so long in this match though.
04:22pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5148 posts
Ive seen it playing grade cricket.. i meant internationals
05:27pm 25/11/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
2004 posts
Quality fight from SA. Draw is looming, with Kallis still to bat.
01:37pm 26/11/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20921 posts
Draw looks likely now:/

We just can't take any wickets today....
03:41pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
2006 posts
Especially when catches are dropped...
03:44pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13836 posts
Yeah, damn draws. Hope there is some fire after tea but it seems unlikely. Bloody Wade.
03:57pm 26/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2355 posts
Todays play is a classic example on why test cricket needs to die as slow a death as i feel when im watching it.
I love writing off cricket to modern day fans, they get that look in their eye that says 'i agree but i still watch it because its just what i do' and continue to namedrop and crap out useless stats that only other lame ass cricket fans care about.
04:18pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34622 posts
if you find todays play boring, you dont like cricket.
04:34pm 26/11/12 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
853 posts
you dont like cricket

Ohhh noooo we love it yeah!
04:35pm 26/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17525 posts
I love writing off cricket to modern day fans, they get that look in their eye that says 'i agree but i still watch it because its just what i do' and continue to namedrop and crap out useless stats that only other lame ass cricket fans care about.

now that we have the 'i don't like cricket, so no one does' douchebag post out of the way

worst result, should have been able to bowl them out in a day and a half....
06:13pm 26/11/12 Permalink
t
Brisbane, Queensland
211 posts
Ah, so much fail from no you. How's your ADHD going? What makes Test cricket like today awesome is that it's a battle not only of pure sporting ability - it's also an extremely tactical battle that gradually unfolds over a few days.

Not many other sports can boast that, aside from maybe the Sydney - Hobart sailing race.
06:25pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
2007 posts
Being here in the US, I often field the jibes of the "game lasting 5 days ending in a draw"

I explain it simply that neither side was good enough to make the most runs + get the other side out twice within the alloted time. Hence, no one won, nor lost.

Today was a fitting example. That said, I expect SA to wrap the test and series up in 4 days in Perth.
07:11pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34623 posts
johnson has been named in the 14 man squad for the game starting friday.

god help us all
08:07pm 26/11/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20923 posts
it'll either be very good or very bad....there is no middle ground
08:28pm 26/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9587 posts
Todays play is a classic example on why test cricket needs to die as slow a death as i feel when im watching it.

Troll Denied.

That was a great Test Match.
That SAF Batsman put in an awesome performance in his first Test Match to deny Australia a victory. He deserved MOTM.
Australia finished 200 ahead yet still didnt win.
In the old days they used to play until the game ended.

Test Cricket is a bit like a War.
You could say Australia won the battles on nearly every day but they couldnt win the War. Unless you bowl a side out twice, you dont win Test Matches.

I suppose Test Cricket is unfashionable in a World with attention spans of little more than a couple of hours. For those of us that love the game it just doesnt get better than Test Cricket todays was a great Test.

Australia have played very well and would have beaten any of the other sides in both Tests. SAF used to have a reputation for rolling over when you pressured them. Theyve held Australia out twice now.
Its very tough to beat a Team that believes in themselves.

Cant wait til Friday.

09:06pm 26/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17527 posts
Amen brother

A facey post we can all agree on
09:25pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2505 posts
alot of people have been hating on SAF for not scoring runs and playing a very defensive game.
Australia would have done the exact same thing.

Got to give it to Siddle. He had absolutely nothing left and still delivered. Having said that he shouldn't have bowled the last over. After the 8th fell Hilfenhaus should of stepped up.
09:46pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
224 posts
That was a great test match for the South Africans. Despite all their injuries, with the momentum gained today they're going to destroy us in the next test.

What does Australia need to do from here? Mentally and physically I think they're done.
10:02pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5151 posts
hilfy really is useless without a new ball
10:09pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5152 posts
i dont think aust are done. watson should be healthy to replace quinney who has been less than useless. aust know they almost won that test down a frontline bowler and with 10 bats.
10:12pm 26/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2357 posts
Troll Denied

Yeah fail cat.
Only from you will i accept defeat. You also raise some valid points.
11:41pm 26/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9589 posts
Well, SAF lost Kallis in the 1st morning when he had 2/18
Steyn couldnt bowl after lunch on the 1st day too i think ?

That was a crucial period where Australia were at one stage 3/47 ?

great effort from Kallis too.
Gee there was some huge efforts in this Test.
IF ONLY IT COULD BE IN HD
11:48pm 26/11/12 Permalink
Chakas
USA
3485 posts
Tests like that are the reason you sit up watching cricket at 2am on the other side of the world. Even if it means annoying and waking up your roommates (that don't even understand what cricket is) when you yell at the screen.

And huge effort from Siddle and Du Plessis, can't say enough about the effort both of them summoned up late in the day.
02:09am 27/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34624 posts
as a captain, you couldnt ask for more than a player like siddle;

he is always giving you 150%, he'd bowl every over of the game if he could. i think hes probably got the least talent of all the bowlers in the team (obviously except for lyon, lulz), but he works so hard.
05:54am 27/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17528 posts
australia should just stop playing spinners altogether until the next shane warne comes along
07:55am 27/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34625 posts
no no, you big silly, im quite happy for them to give half assed spinners a spot in the team, we've got 10 other players that can take up the slack while these guys get some practice in!
08:08am 27/11/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
2010 posts
australia should just stop playing spinners altogether until the next shane warne comes along

Heh. Cos Shane Warne's debut test was a stunning display of bowling...
08:11am 27/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17529 posts
im quite happy for them to give half assed spinners a spot in the team

really? because you've done nothing but complain about lyon

and he's the best thing we've had since warne without question
08:53am 27/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34627 posts
yer, i was joking about that matey, read the next bit i wrote;

id rather they bowl part timers whose primary job is to bat, then waste a spot on a spinner who just isnt up to the job (clarkey, warner, hussey)

put in another quick for lyon imo, probably would have won us the game if we'd had the starc option in adelaide

anyway, we'll get watson back next game and another couple of fit bowlers, so they can afford to give away a spot for another spinner to keep practicing

hope siddle will be ok to play.
08:56am 27/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11179 posts
alot of people have been hating on SAF for not scoring runs and playing a very defensive game.
Australia would have done the exact same thing.

Nope, I don't think we would have actually. Unfortunately, that innings from Faf is the one thing lacking in the Australian team at the moment.

We don't have a player in the current XI capable of playing an innings like that. Maybe Punter in 05 could do it, but not since Waugh have we had a bloke prepared to literally fight to the death.

Clarke for all his amazing form is still a guy who literally just cannot resist the slash outside off, its just at the moment, they mostly go to the boundary!

Spook,

Would your head explode if I told you that Lyon got to 50 wickets far quicker than Peter Siddle, and with a better average?
10:39am 27/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34628 posts
is that the case? how about career overall? the thing i admire most about siddle is that hes not the fastest, or the most accurate or even the greatest thinker when hes bowling. he doesnt seem to ahve the best of any fast bowling attributes, but hes got a ticker the size of phar lap and you have to respect h im for that.
10:59am 27/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11180 posts
Lyon has 51 wickets @ 29 in 15 tests

Siddle has 124 @ 29 in 34 tests.

Siddle after 15 tests had 49 wickets @ 32.

So Lyon is tracking ahead of him, so he's going ok.

Then again, Hauritz took 63 wickets in 17 tests so he was ahead of both of them!

Perhaps we tend to judge our spinners a little too harshly?
11:09am 27/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34629 posts
its hard not to after we had warney
11:16am 27/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17530 posts
Then again, Hauritz took 63 wickets in 17 tests so he was ahead of both of them!

can't actually believe this, all i ever saw him do was dig the ball in low and quickly, rarely much turn and definitely not flighting the ball to get loop or anything
01:10pm 27/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11181 posts
He was very poorly treated.

He bowled very well, then was dropped for Doherty due to some misguided theory about Peiterson and left arm spin. While it's true KP struggles against quality left arm orthodox spin, X Doherty is NOT quality.

Hauritz also had the problem of being skippered by Ponting, and bowling during a period where our quicks weren't too flash either. As much as I love Punter, he had no idea how to set a field for spinners or how to use a spinner in a defensive or attacking way, he just set Hauritz his 'Warne field' and let him loose.

The other advantage of Hauro over Lyon, is that Lyon is a genuine bunny, Hauritz averaged 25 at test level with the bat and has multiple first class hundreds.

anyway, Lyon is there to stay now and he is bowling well. His issue yesterday was that he just bowled too quick after lunch most of the time. The ball he got Kallis with was good length & flight, but after that he seemed more focussed on rushing through his overs so we got more balls at them - breaking the old rule of quality over quantity.

He bowled far too many balls in the 88-95km/h range, when he should have been tossing them up in the early 80's.
02:42pm 27/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9591 posts
I dont think you should be picking bowlers because they can bat a bit.
Not unless your Batting line-up sux.
Need a Spinner ? pick the best Spinner.

I dont know that Australia did anything wrong, it was just a superhuman batting effort from Du Plesis and Kallis.

09:52pm 27/11/12 Permalink
Chakas
USA
3486 posts
I dont think you should be picking bowlers because they can bat a bit.

I disagree to some extent. You can't have 4 bunnies in the tail, otherwise you're screwing your numbers 5-7 out of lower order support and possibly leaving 100-150 runs on park. So sure you don't want to pick a guy just because he can bat (regardless of his bowling), but if you have players of a similar standard as bowlers (and arguably Lyon and Hauritz are), then I'd pick the guy that can bat a bit even if he's a slightly worse bowler.
01:35am 28/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11182 posts
Agree with Chakas.

If its a marginal call on their bowling ability, pick the best fielder/batsman.

It happens with batsmen sometimes, which is one of the reasons Chris Rogers never got much of a go. He is a terrible fieldsman, so he lost 50/50 calls regularly.

If you've got 2 bowlers of very similar ability, you surely pick the best 'cricketer' of the 2, which would take into account fielding and batting prowess.
10:22am 28/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:22am 28/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.