Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Up and Atom! How Comic Book Videogames Need to Change
Steve Farrelly
Sydney, New South Wales
5664 posts
It's fairly alarming that you can count, pretty much on one hand, over the history of videogames, only a few amazing comic book-based titles.

If you think about comics and games, they seem like they belong to one another: super powers, super-villains, fantastical worlds, alien races, demonic dimensions, gadgets, droves of henchman, robots and... well, the list goes on and on, and yet outside of the Batman: Arkham series, there really hasn't been a videogame that marries the two pop-culture mediums together on a level they deserve. So I took it upon myself to explore why, and offer solutions to basic design pitfalls that have stopped this obvious recipe for awesome from being as bankable today as comics and the silver screen are.

Click here for this in-depth exploration of how developers and publishers should be getting it right.
07:32pm 19/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:32pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20922 posts
Up and Atom!

atom ant!
07:35pm 19/11/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8038 posts
Atom Ant rocked!
So did Precious Pup
08:11pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
Sydney, New South Wales
5665 posts
So the obvious discussion that stems from this is, which characters/comics should get a videogame treatment as top-notch as Rocksteady and Warner Bros. Interactive treated the Batman: Arkham series?

I mention Dr Strange in the feature, but others I think would be good include:

Hellboy (done properly)
Cable (with an awesome time-travel component to it)
Daredevil (you could do awesome things with his senses and the purported 3D digital sound revolution on the horizon)
Green Arrow
Savage Dragon (him doing heaps of Chicago cop stuff would be cool)
08:25pm 19/11/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6107 posts
no mention of the Walking Dead game?
08:27pm 19/11/12 Permalink
jackflash
Sydney, New South Wales
110 posts
Is there some article where rocksteady talk about doing silver age justice league or is it just something the devs said that tipped everybody off?
08:58pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20240 posts
An LA Noire style Gotham Central game, that'd rock my face off. Would provide an interesting take that hasn't really been seen in games yet either, I mean we've all played as the superheroes, but Gotham Central was awesome cos it gave an insight into what it was like to just be a normal guy living in a crazy world of superheroes and supervillains.
09:01pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Darkhawk
Melbourne, Victoria
45 posts
GTA + Metropolis. But with Supergirl. No undies!
09:32pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Crash
Sydney, New South Wales
1366 posts
I thought Shattered Dimensions was decent, the story was written by the guy who's been doing the writing on The Amazing Spider-Man for the past 2 years.
Edge of Time was absolutely terrible, it felt like a quick cash grab while they were in between Shattered Dimensions and The Amazing Spider-Man which released
this year.

I'm keen to check out Marvel Heroes, which is being made by the co-creator of Blizzard North / Diablo, and has Bendis on as the lead writer.
02:05pm 20/11/12 Permalink
Blizzard
Sydney, New South Wales
19 posts
Booster Gold clearly needs his own game.
08:12pm 20/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:12pm 20/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.