Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Difference between branded monitors?
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6854 posts
I don't suppose anybody knows if there's much difference between Samsung, LG, Benq, etc, when it comes to monitors?

Was looking at getting one of these, due to a huge scratch across my tiny monitor which is finally driving me insane, but don't know any useful monitor things... http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/monitors/
06:44pm 19/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:44pm 19/11/12 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
2060 posts
Only thing to read up on is the various brands' dead pixel policies. They do differ in terms of how many pixels (or where a dead pixel is located) before they'll replace the monitor for you. *warning: I'm basing this on experience from years ago - my monitors have lasted ages so things might have changed since I was buying.
07:01pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6094 posts
Was happy with many previous BenQ's, am happy with current Samsung.
07:06pm 19/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3423 posts
how many screen makers are there left?

samsung, philips, and who else?
07:07pm 19/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3613 posts
amazing how monitor prices have come down.

i reckon the "brand names" are all god enough these days. i have a Ben Q beside an LG and they are both great.

Unless your doing layouts for magazines or graphics or some high end photography apps, for those prices I'd just grab one if it's some gaming and day to day use.
07:07pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20921 posts
i hate my samsung monitor
07:11pm 19/11/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7347 posts
Generally Samsung make the better panels. BenQ is generally more affordable but has inferior screens.

Dell screens are generally pretty good:

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=24_30_monitor

The 24" one with VGA/DVI/HDMI (most other monitors that cheap don't have HDMI) at $239 is good bang for the buck. Put in an RACQ/NRMA membership number and get 10% off to make it $215.
07:12pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13126 posts
I love my Sammy's They have given me nothing but blissful performance.
07:22pm 19/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3174 posts
3x samsung 24" here. All work perfect and have done so for a long time.
07:26pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
9088 posts
my 24" samsung finaly died few months ago after nearly 6yrs going strong
now have a 27" viewsonic and love it
07:33pm 19/11/12 Permalink
BlueWolf
Brisbane, Queensland
50 posts
2x Samsung 23 inch here. Matched pair not that it really makes a big difference.

Wife has 24 inch Samsung, brother has a LG and a BenQ. All work sweet, but you can see some colour differences between the Samsungs, LG and BenQ.

If you can get a 120hz one, they are great for high FPS games (see Quake Live), with a 60hz will do fine for most other games ;)
07:34pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20923 posts
my samsung is only a few months old. It has dead pixels, display port doesn't work properly with my video card and it doesn't look like there's going to be a driver fix any time soon. The touch panel controls are f*****g stupid and laggy, and half the time don't work at all.

the viewing angle is rubbish, despite their claims of having a really awesome viewing angle for an entire room to be able to see it.

My old panasonic tv s**** all over this pos monitor as far as viewing angle goes.
07:43pm 19/11/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5651 posts
I spotted this the other day

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/27-wqhd-led-ips-monitor/

2560×1440 IPS LED unit @ $399 a gaming monitor its not. However for screen real estate its an awesome price
08:07pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6855 posts
Thankyees, I think that I'm just going to grab the LG 22".
10:13pm 19/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3175 posts
Speaking of samsung, i have dreams of gaming on a screen setup like this one day (old news i know):
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/02/26feb10ui9b34664.jpg
10:31pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9843 posts
BenQ > Sams***
10:37pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
307 posts
All Samsung, all still working with 0 dead pixels.
1x23" 1 year old
1x23" 3 years old
1x22" 5 years old

The two 23" screens have awesome viewing angels (just tested by looking at them side on)

I also have 32" and 40" Samsung TVs, 5 and 2 years old respectively, both with 0 dead pixels.

I have had a good run with Samsungs and my next monitor/tv purchase will probably be another one.
11:17pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2124 posts
Speaking of samsung, i have dreams of gaming on a screen setup like this one day (old news i know):

I use a 6 screen setup at work. Its overrated for games - even with 'low bezel' monitors the bezelling really gets annoying for games / full screen visualization stuff.
12:34pm 20/11/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10488 posts
my monitor and tv aRe samsung at home, they are all working perfectly. The samsung monitor is a bit annoying when it loses signal, e.g. due to the computer being asleep, because it starts searching for input from analogue and dvi which means that when the HDMI signal resumes, it takes a good 10 seconds before the monitor bothers to realise this.

But my BenQ at work has dead pixels.
01:06pm 20/11/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5213 posts
I love my dell have it over 5 years still going strong. its 27"
01:26pm 20/11/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8657 posts
Its overrated for games - even with 'low bezel' monitors the bezelling really gets annoying for games / full screen visualization stuff.

Yeah when I saw the pic a few posts above I thought it looked like s***. No thanks.
02:58pm 20/11/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7516 posts
In the past maybe 8 years(?) I've had to buy 3 LCDs.
The first was a Samsung 172X. At its time this was the monitor to have, despite it's $790ish pricetag when it first came out. What made it stand apart was the specs - 12ms, iirc, B-W-B. At the time BenQ monitors were using AU-Optronics panels, which at best were 25ms and 16ms G-G.

Samsung achieved this by dithering to 6-bit colour - so the colour replication wasn't as great in large-pallete scenes, but there was no ghosting to be seen.

Around 2008 I then bought a 27" Dell - it's still going strong. The reason for buying this was that it had component, DVI and DSub inputs. HDMI was barely around back then.

This leaves only a 22" LG TV/LCD I bought to replace the 172X as a second monitor, and be used as a TV. This allowed me to use a PS3 via HDMI.
The next LCD I will buy will probably be a 2560x1440 or similar resolution monitor.

The main thing to look at is the panel that's in these screens.
03:03pm 20/11/12 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
2327 posts
I'm running 3x 24" Dells (2x 2407wfp & 1x 2408wfp) in Eyefinity. Had them for years and they're great!

EDIT: the 2408 also has hdmi and display port, which means if you're going to run Eyefinity, you don't need to buy an active display port adapter.
03:14pm 20/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3643 posts
After a big split I purchased an lg Tv and monitor with the idea of replacing with better later down the track because they were cheap, but they aren't nasty, haven't felt the need to replace yet.
03:31pm 20/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8048 posts
Anyone tried those new IPS monitors? They look interesting, very lightweight and HDMI output looks nice.
03:33pm 20/11/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7624 posts
IPS isn't new. You might be talking about PLS which is samsung's newer tech to improve on IPS.

LG and Samsung are the best panel manufacturers.

I'd say they're probably the best monitor manufacturers as well. HP and Dell are also good (they dont make panels).

I dont think BenQ are sold in Australia anymore...

04:05pm 20/11/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6219 posts
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/02/26feb10ui9b34664.jpg

This looks terrible. 3 monitors is ok, 9 monitors might make the centre monitor a bit small in comparison.

Any time a bezel is in the middle of the screen, it makes for terrible gaming experience. I use 3 monitors, i think that works ok.

In the future i'll keep 3 but get 3x 24's considering it's like $150 a monitor now..

This just isn't true at all.
04:06pm 20/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8050 posts
IPS isn't new. You might be talking about PLS which is samsung's newer tech to improve on IPS.

LG and Samsung are the best panel manufacturers.

I'd say they're probably the best monitor manufacturers as well. HP and Dell are also good (they dont make panels).

Ah I see, just seen a recent surge of IPS monitors on Umart and thought they may have been something new. So probably Samsung would be the better IPS monitor to get with their new PLS tech?
04:15pm 20/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:15pm 20/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.