We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Recommend me a new set of prosthetics... wait, no. PC hardware
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1359 posts
Hey guys,

I'm having to face facts that my current system is slowly dying. Not entirely sure why at this stage, but current indicators are pointing to the mainboard starting to flake out.

Current setup is as follows:

i5-661
Asus P7P55D-E LX
8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3
Gainward GeForce GTX650 Ti 1GB
Creative Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Series

Currently running Win8 Pro x64

I'm thinking that it's the mainboard because over the last few days I've seen issues with both video and sound cards (which could have been drivers), but now I'm also seeing problems with drives being detected properly at the BIOS level.

So, I gather that the best bang for buck processor to go for at this stage is the i5 3570 (considering that I'm not overclocking it)?

I'm looking at Asus mainboards because after the problems I've had with Abit and ASRock in the past, I'm never going to trust them again. (Before anyone decides to get smart and point out that my current Asus mainboard may not be that reliable either considering it's just died, I think the cause for my Asus dying is from power issues we've had over the last few weeks that culminated in/were caused by our hot water system dying)

Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading to the following:

Asus P8Z77-V-LX Motherboard $135.00
Intel Core i5 3570 3.40Ghz Quad Core CPU $209.00
120GB OCZ 2.5" Vertex 3 Low Profile 6Gb/s SSD $109

My questions are:

1. Is it worth upgrading the mainboard to a higher variant?
2. Do I want the Vertex 3 SSD or do I want to pay an extra $10 for an Intel 330?
3. Do I want to re-use my Audigy or just go with the 7.1ch onboard sound? (Keep in mind, I have a 7.1ch surround sound system hooked up to my PC, so it's not like I'm going to only be using headphones all the time etc)
03:40pm 19/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:40pm 19/11/12 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2771 posts
seems like you already know exactly what you need and just need the crowds' confirmation. what could possibly go wrong?
04:00pm 19/11/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10398 posts
not criticizing, just wondering what your rationale behind a samsung spinpoint is. Good reviews? good past experiences?
04:01pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1360 posts
Trillion, you're pretty much right. I'm much more up to speed with server hardware these days, so I'm essentially looking for peer-review to make sure I haven't c***ed anything up or missed anything.

Hardware, at the time, it was the recommended drive from Whirlpool and Overclockers. It's been pretty bloody good so far. Performance has been good for spinning rust, but I want to see how much more performance I get from an SSD
04:06pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13149 posts
I just ... http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/3242939

Really? 2 months later? Did everyone get repaid or something?!
04:20pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1361 posts
I just ... http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/3242939Really? 2 months later? Did everyone get repaid or something?!

Hoggy, I'm not going to go into the details here, but there's an arrangement in place for that.
04:38pm 19/11/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1009 posts
but current indicators are pointing to the mainboard starting to flake out.
ebay link

$89 replacement

Hoggy, I'm not going to go into the details here, but there's an arrangement in place for that.

You could then arrange $364 back into your mothers redrawn mortgage.
04:56pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1311 posts
I recently got a 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD, haven't installed it yet but its supposed to be the ducks nuts of SSD performance at a really good price ($200 from umart). I have a 240Gb Crucial C4 as my main drive and its been awesome, will be curious to see how the samsung does against it.

I also just did an upgrade to an i7-3770K with a Gigabyte Z77 mobo and AMD 7950 card. Pretty happy with the system, came from an i7 930. System goes from power button to login screen in around 15 seconds.
04:57pm 19/11/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7346 posts
2. Do I want the Vertex 3 SSD or do I want to pay an extra $10 for an Intel 330?

You do not want an SSD from OCZ or Corsair, trust me.

Extra $16 to go Crucial M4, which is pretty damn good (with extra 8GB). The Intel 330, despite being a budget model is still more reliable than any OCZ/Corsair .. so if you're budgeted, go that.
05:17pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1362 posts
Thanks Mass and Parabol, that's the kind of info I was hoping for :)
05:22pm 19/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:22pm 19/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.